Saints’ Evans: Suh does dirty things, but he’s a phenomenal player

Detroit Lions v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

When the Lions visited New Orleans during the regular season, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh was back home in Oregon because he was suspended for his Thanksgiving stomp. So Saturday’s Lions-Saints playoff game will be the first time the Saints’ offensive linemen have blocked Suh.

And what do they expect to see? Pretty much what everyone expects from Suh: A mixture of dirty play and good play.

I think some things he does is dirty, after the whistle,” Saints guard Jahri Evans told the Times-Picayune. “He needs to put a cap on that, but he’s a phenomenal player.”

Saints guard Carl Nicks said that the New Orleans line isn’t going to let Suh do anything dirty on Saturday.

“If he tries some of the stuff on us that he does to other guys [in the league] I don’t think it would fly with me,” Nicks said. “At the end of the day if he’s breaking Drew’s neck or grabbing his facemask, that’s on us. First and foremost, we’ve got to stop him. And second of all, we’ve got to nip that other stuff in the bud.”

Even without Suh on the field, the Lions’ biggest problem against the Saints in the regular season was that they couldn’t stop committing penalties, including three after-the-play personal fouls. So the Lions will need to keep the dirty stuff in check if they want to have any chance of pulling off an upset as the biggest underdogs of wild card weekend.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Saints’ Evans: Suh does dirty things, but he’s a phenomenal player”
  1. 700levelvet says: Jan 5, 2012 10:26 AM

Saints win by 20

2. berniemadoffsides says: Jan 5, 2012 10:28 AM

Scariest human being in the NFL.

Not even sure if he’s human, actually.

3. seytonmanning says: Jan 5, 2012 10:32 AM

The bottom line is this.if this piece of trash is going out there and deliberately hurting guys on your team or trying.g to and you see it, its your job to out him out of the game.you deliberately Injur this punk.this isn’t just a take right now.this is your road to the Superbowl.you can’t just sit there and watch this puke hurt brees or anyone on your team.you injury this punk and send him home.I don’t care if the injury is career ending.your not taking away my chance at the greatest price in sports because you can’t okay Tue game fair.you got to go.

4. mikeeg says: Jan 5, 2012 10:33 AM

Why wouldn’t they want Suh to do something dirty and get flagged or ejected? He is about as stable as Mike Tyson fresh out of xanax. I would antagonize him all game.

5. 13forgbp says: Jan 5, 2012 10:34 AM

Saints are going to kill them, then promptly lose after they leave their pansy dome.

6. anyslacking says: Jan 5, 2012 10:36 AM

Was Suh known as a dirty player in college?

7. mt99808 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:38 AM

I’m sure the Lions will be playing 11 on 12 yet again this week and I’m not referring to the crowd.

8. f0rem4n says: Jan 5, 2012 10:38 AM

I expect a game similar to Detroit / Green Bay week 17. It will surely be closer than their previous meeting as the Lions are healthy and peaking.

9. svcfilmguy says: Jan 5, 2012 10:41 AM

seyton, so what you’re saying is that the Saints should retaliate to what you consider trashy play…by engaging in the exact same behavior? Interesting.

As for the Saints: let Suh play dirty. Let him continue to extend drives through his temper and stupid plays. Evans is right: he’s a great player, but if he can’t control himself, he may ultimately have a negative, rather than positive, effect on the Lions’ chances of pulling off a huge upset.

10. delawarelion says: Jan 5, 2012 10:42 AM

Lions 34 Saints 31. As long as the Dline holds up and keeps Brees moving around, we can pull this one off. I see this game going almost identical to the first game last month except the Lions don’t shoot themselves with the penaltys. I also think that everyone might get a big introduction to the rookie Titus Young.
    Who knows, could be completely wrong, but I do know that these Lions aren’t anything I have seen in the last 20 years. Everytime I tell myself, here we go the same old Lions, they have stepped up and showed me they are here to play and will be around for awhile.
    Should be a good game. Go Lions!!!

11. nofunleague says: Jan 5, 2012 10:43 AM

I say they take his knees out and stand around and clap while he cries. Piece of crap.

12. donz0 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:44 AM

He’ll get ejected again.

13. virusgvr says: Jan 5, 2012 10:48 AM

Suh plays dirty??? No way!!!

14. lionsfan54 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:50 AM

Ah yes, the daily anti-Lions post. Thanks for keeping the streak alive!

15. ProDolphinsTalk says: Jan 5, 2012 10:52 AM

The Lions are second only to Takeo Spikes in playoff experience. With the game in the Superdome and the way Drew Brees is playing does anybody expect the Saints to lose this game? This one will be over early.

16. camjon32 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:53 AM

seytonmanning says:
    Jan 5, 2012 10:32 AM

Wow…I truly feel a little dumber having read this post in its entirety. Please tell me that you’re incapable of procreation…I will sleep better at night knowing that’s the case.

No doubt the Lions have made some incredibly boneheaded mistakes with penalties. I’m hopeful they’ve learned from said mistakes and go out and play their best game of the season…something similar to their convincing victory over the Chargers. If that happens, the Lions will give the Saints all they can handle…

17. megatronownsyou says: Jan 5, 2012 10:54 AM

Wow you guys never cease to amaze me with this nonsense.
    Plus, didn’t you hear, the Falcons are the dirtiest team in the league now.

18. vikescry1 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:56 AM

That’s funny, he won’t do that stuff he does to other teams??? What r u going to do about it? See the problem with the detroit lions is that they r undiciplined, from the head coach all the way down to the players. And if the saints don’t just play there game and let the lions shoot themselves in there own foot. (Which is what they do) the saints could lose this game. But imo the saints r the better team and this one should be over by half time. The lions can fist pump all they want but fact is your just not good enough yet. Grown up and get a coach with some composer and the lions just might become great, til then keep pouting.

19. reddskeletor says: Jan 5, 2012 10:56 AM

If he’s so superhuman, why are his stats so down and why didn’t he get to the Pro-Bowl (one of the few times that it was not a popularity contest)? Why does Detroit give up so much on the ground?

20. dylanmusicfane says: Jan 5, 2012 11:01 AM

suh signed up to play football not be a greeter at Walmart.

21. poiuyt7 says: Jan 5, 2012 11:05 AM

anyslacking says:
    Jan 5, 2012 10:36 AM
    Was Suh known as a dirty player in college?
    =======================

Yes he was. His own teammates didn’t even like him.

22. suhnami says: Jan 5, 2012 11:16 AM

The last people on planet earth that should be accusing players of dirty play are offensive lineman…the dirtiest group bar none.

Saints interior line can shout out threats of retaliation all they want…if they don’t want their QB to get hit, and HIT HARD then stop the grown men coming for their QB. Dont’ sit there and cry about how “boo-hoo Suh is dirty…he’s a meany”- YOU PLAY FOOTBALL for chr1st sake take the skirts off and get over it.

10.5 point favorites is absolutely insulting…hope the Lions take full offense to it. Hopefully the refs can try to call a somewhat fair game as well and not have a repeat of week 17 in GB…maybe call a few offensive pass interferences on Colston and Graham as well for once??

23. f0rem4n says: Jan 5, 2012 11:19 AM

If Suh commits an after the play penalty in the playoffs, the Lion’s fans will tear him apart for Mr. Evans.

24. klunge says: Jan 5, 2012 11:22 AM

So Suh hasn’t ever even knocked anyone out of a game accidentally or on purpose, yet many low-lifes are calling for someone to deliberately smash his knees to ruin his career. And HE’S supposedly dirty???

25. slickmarine says: Jan 5, 2012 11:25 AM

@anyslacking : GREAT question!!! Does anybody know the [truthful] answer to this one?

26. saintsfan1111 says: Jan 5, 2012 11:26 AM

Suh is going against the 2 best guards in the league. He’ll be crying by the 3rd quarter.

27. klunge says: Jan 5, 2012 11:31 AM

vikescry1 says:
    Jan 5, 2012 10:56 AM
    See the problem with the detroit lions is that they r undiciplined… Grown up and get a coach with some composer and the lions just might become great, til then keep pouting
    ————————————————
    And see, the problem with you is that you “r” uneducated. Why do we need a coach that writes orchestral music?
    You’re the only one who appears to be pouting, likely because you don’t have anyone to root for now. We’re in the playoffs and at present have no reason to pout. No reason to be bitter even if we lose – that’s what everyone expects, and we had a pretty good season overall.

28. jeffchadwick says: Jan 5, 2012 11:33 AM

The famed “wide nine” technique, at least to someone who’s watched every Lions game this season, is a big reason why the Lions D has been horrible against the run. Getting Corey Williams back this week should help in that regard. Lions were also missing key contributors Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young for multiple games due to injuries. The front four will have zero excuses on the health side this weekend.

I also wonder how many Suh critics have actually watched the man play on a regular basis. I can count on one hand the number of truly boneheaded plays he’s made in this entire career (the stomp, an offsides that prolonged a Packers drive last weekend come immediately to mind). The regular season personal fouls with one notable exception are easily explainable (horse collar for pulling Marion Barber’s dreads last year, Cutler shove, etc.).

29. weepingjebus says: Jan 5, 2012 11:34 AM

Sort of amazing how it took the Lions only a few weeks to go from being the feel good story of the season to being reviled for their hubris and cheapshots. To think, you could be going into the game as beloved scrappy underdogs, and instead most people are rooting for you to lose. I guess those decades of futility weren’t just bad luck.

30. rmc1995 says: Jan 5, 2012 11:36 AM

I think Suh has the exact same amount of after the whistle penalties as Charles Woodson this year. Suh has made exactly no player miss as much as a down from injury. Remind me again how he’s dirty?

31. johnnyb216 says: Jan 5, 2012 11:36 AM

Drew brees is a phony and I hope he gets his ARM broken in the playoffs.

32. suhnami says: Jan 5, 2012 11:41 AM

rmc1995 says: Jan 5, 2012 11:36 AM

————————–

exactly…my favorite was I believe Bishop last week, after a false start on the Lions is called, whistle blown and NOBODY moving comes flying across and clothes line stafford at full speed….but the Lions are dirty???

33. soumiss says: Jan 5, 2012 11:59 AM

seytonmanning says:
    Jan 5, 2012 10:32 AM

Man, this post is just plain scary. it would send an English Teacher into shock.

34. packerfan1000 says: Jan 5, 2012 12:05 PM

———————

I would say this is the dumbest post ever, but I didn’t understand half of it.

35. ammarradhi says: Jan 5, 2012 12:15 PM

Last time I checked the saints were dirty players, I don’t think they should be talking about Suh

36. jackntorres says: Jan 5, 2012 12:16 PM

rmc1995 says: Jan 5, 2012 11:36 AM

————————–

I dont see Suh stomping worse than Woodson punching in the gut. They are both PUNKS. Saints will handle DET, SF, and GB.

37. madeindetroit71 says: Jan 5, 2012 12:41 PM

seytonmanning says:
    Jan 5, 2012 10:32 AM

Seytonmanning before you make any comments go back to school and learn proper English and punctuation! Damn Swamp People!

38. cowboycjn says: Jan 5, 2012 12:48 PM

ammarradhi says:
    Jan 5, 2012 12:15 PM

So lets see 1st the Lions were dirty players, then the Falcons were the dirty players, now you say its the Saints that are dirty players. Has anybody remembered this game is tackle football? Grown men getting thousands/millions of dollars to play this game, we all know the rules – yes it is rough but thats the game. Stop all the winney BS about who plays dirty – the refs call penalties when it crosses the line. Lets just play and stop looking for excuses for trying to justify your teams lack of ability.

39. panther17 says: Jan 5, 2012 12:52 PM

Suh is a Greg Williams kind of player.

40. rufio1984 says: Jan 5, 2012 12:55 PM

delawarelion: Where in Delaware are you? I am in Delaware too! And a Lion fan, Thought I was the only one lol

41. jimmylions says: Jan 5, 2012 12:59 PM

Leave it to MDS to recited the old, tired, and false storyline that the Lions “evil” and whomever they play is “good.” The Saints are in no position to criticize others for dirty play, a fact that MDS knows but deliberately excluded.

Also – the unsportsman like penalties in the previous game weren’t for dirty play, they were for stupid and undisciplined play. For example, Titus Young tossing the ball off someone’s facemask after he scored (in response to verbal reparte) was a stupid move – but it wasn’t dirty and no one was going to get hurt.

The previous game featured veteran Saints schooling young Lions on how to get provoke someone’s temper. You can bet that there will be a tighter lid on all of that this weekend.

As for the Lion haters in this thread … we’re in the playoffs and your team is watching us on TV, and obviously that hurts. What probably hurts even more is knowing that your team didn’t make the tournament, but Tebow is in! But have a good time watching us win on Saturday!

42. Mike Klingensmith says: Jan 5, 2012 12:59 PM

Half of these people saying “Oh man, Suh is dirty” don’t even watch the Lions and just go by what the media is telling them. There are players much dirtier than Suh in the league.

43. izlez says: Jan 5, 2012 1:09 PM

So… you, nor your team have ever played against Suh.

You give no examples of the “dirty things he does after the whistle” (there’s really only the 1 example, and I think he’s “got a cap on it” already. I’ve only seen him step on the one guy who was trying to bend him over backwards and hurt him. Did I miss something?)

Love the irrational Suh hatred

44. cowboycjn says: Jan 5, 2012 1:14 PM

@ madeindetroit71 says: Jan 5, 2012 12:41 PM

Hey dude I agree he needs some education with his weird post but for you to say, “Damn Swamp People!” Now you have labeled everyone in South Louisiana as to his level of education. Would be like me saying ALL made in detroit people are dumb yankees. Not fitting is it? All you did was lower yourself to his level.

45. bigboi30 says: Jan 5, 2012 1:24 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha.
    Wow another biased piece of reporting. Sounds like this guy is scared nothing more. He knows he is not even able to block Suh. This guy is pathetic. I can hear it now “I tried my best, but Suh was playing dirty all game” the dirty play that goes on in the O line doesnt even come close to anything Suh has done. This guy is just getting his excusses out early. What a chump. And Suh will expose you for it.

Plus I laugh even harder at the pathetic people that leave comments like “he is a dirty player, a dirtbag. There is no room in this league for play like that”, but in the same smelly ass breathe, you all call for your own players to play dirty and hurt Suh. Plain and simple, Suh is a beast that cant be contained on the field, and one hell of a man off the field.

46. Slackmo says: Jan 5, 2012 1:42 PM

Suh is the toughest player in the league after the whistle.

47. dvdman123 says: Jan 5, 2012 1:52 PM

So why don’t the moderators delete garbage like this?

johnnyb216 says:
    Jan 5, 2012 11:36 AM
    Drew brees is a phony and I hope he gets his ARM broken in the playoffs.

48. xxwhodatxx says: Jan 5, 2012 1:56 PM

Johnnyb216 you are a piece of garbage. I don’t care what team you pull for wishing someone gets hurt is pretty low.

49. forteallday says: Jan 5, 2012 2:04 PM

bigboi30 says:Jan 5, 2012 1:24 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Im pretty sure he has been contained all season… if it wasnt for his dirty plays u wouldnt hear his number called at all

50. darthhitman77 says: Jan 5, 2012 2:28 PM

saintsfan1111 says: Jan 5, 2012 11:26 AM

======================================

Would that be the same 2 guards that Nick Fairley owned like he bought ‘em in the first game before aggravating the screws in his foot WITHOUT Suh next to him??? I HOPE SO !!!

51. johnnyb216 says: Jan 5, 2012 2:35 PM

Jesus guys! It’s not like I wished him dead! What’s the difference between me hoping he gets hurt and any player on all of our favorite teams targeting a players injury in hopes of knocking him out of the lineup? Besides, I just said what everybody (excluding saints fans) was thinking.

52. flyingblind007 says: Jan 5, 2012 2:45 PM

slickmarine says:
    Jan 5, 2012 11:25 AM

________________________________

Actually as a lifelong Huskers fan who went to many of Suh’s game here. I can say he was never known as being dirty in college. A beast yes, but was never even accused of being dirty.

I have heard that once he left some younger players made comments, but those guys were also the ones he made look bad as Freshman coming in, and thinking they should have been first team.

Also, tough to hear any New orleans players talking about cheap shots on their quarterback. This is the Same team that cheap shot Brett Farve for an entire game in the NFC championship. The same team who’s player was twisting away at Adrian Peterson’s ankle(One of the classiest guys to play the game) when he was coming off an ankle injury, after the play was over and whistle blown.

As for Carl Nicks, another former husker, he really should not be talking. He was known as a bad teammate and a problem from day one with the Huskers. So much so, that in 2010 he felt he had to appologize to coach Bo Pelini after he was gone from the program.

He then was known as the only Saint to go on the radio and unleash a profanity laced tirade after winning the Superbowl.

Stay classy Carl. As for Suh, keeping playing hard, and let others worry about how to stop you. But when the whistle blows, make sure you think, cause you have been labeled by the media, deserving or not.

53. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Jan 5, 2012 2:57 PM

delawarelion says:Jan 5, 2012 10:42 AM

__________________________________

Don’t get me wrong..I’m actually rooting for the Lions this weekend because the lovey dovey fest with Brees and his cush dome and his cush schedule and cush division are making me throat puke, but you do realize a QB with 1 prior start and a shaky O-line just carved up the Lions secondary right?? There’s no saying what Brees might do…could go off for 7 bucks this weekend.

I wouldn’t worry about D-line…I’d worry about the Lions secondary getting torched. It’d be fun just to be on the sideline for the Cunningham f-bomb wrath. He’s always said he’ll die on the football field, this could be the weekend.

If this game isn’t put away by the Saints by halftime, I’ll be shocked.

54. granadafan says: Jan 5, 2012 3:37 PM

“lionsfan54 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:50 AM
    Ah yes, the daily anti-Lions post. Thanks for keeping the streak alive!”
    ====================================================

Oh please. Get over yourself. I love it when delusional fans THINK that the bloggers on PFT are picking on their favorite team/player. In reality, it’s clear to the rest of the rationale fans that PFT picks on everyone and writes more about players/teams that are in the news more often.

So, no, @lionsfan54, there haven’t been that many Lions threads. There have been more SUH threads (not even daily) because no one else on your team is worth writing about.

55. delawarelion says: Jan 5, 2012 4:04 PM

purpleisreallypinkyouknow says:
    Jan 5, 2012 2:57 PM
    I wouldn’t worry about D-line…I’d worry about the Lions secondary getting torched. It’d be fun just to be on the sideline for the Cunningham f-bomb wrath. He’s always said he’ll die on the football field, this could be the weekend…

Understood,
    However, you should also understand that the Lions secondary that has been playing for the last few games has had the likes of John Wendling (2nd teamer), Chris Harris (2nd teamer), Brandon McDonald (3rd teamer) and Rashied Davis (3 team WR) filling in for large chunks of games due to injury. We are finally pretty much at full strength, couldn’t be a better time either.
    I am not in anyway trying to put out there that this years Lions is are World Beaters and will handle anyone easily, however, they are not the scrubs everyone has become so used to.
    Let us not forget Mr. Matthew Stafford and the Lions offense either, this could and most likely will be a shootout the likes we haven’t seen in the playoffs for quite some time. Lions D leads the league in Def TD’s this year also. If both teams bring their A game Saturday night, this game is going to be much different than most people are anticipating.

56. easyeddie says: Jan 5, 2012 4:29 PM

nofunleague says: Jan 5, 2012 10:43 AM

—————————————–

You’re calling Suh “piece of crap”? Pot calling kettle black.

——————————————
    vikescry1 says:
    ————————–
    What does u”undiciplined” mean? Beethoven was a “composer.”

57. MichaelEdits says: Jan 5, 2012 8:07 PM

Stomp dem Saints. Stomp dem Saints.

58. growler32 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:47 PM

It doesn’t matter what team it is. Somebody sooner or later does something stupid. Me being a 35 Year Lions fan actually picked 10-6 as their record. Wow, they did it. So, Saints you won a Super Bowl a couple years ago, but you all used to be the laughing stock of the NFL. That being said good for you. Oh, weren’t you the same team that lost to the Packers lasr year when you were favored. My how everybody forgets. The NFL is what have you done for me lately league. So only time will tell if your truly superb or if you just play in a weak conference.

59. growler32 says: Jan 5, 2012 10:50 PM

One other thing dirty or not. I bet if he was available you would want him on your team. So good luck and use the potty during pregame. This should be a track meet unless the “D” come to play like they did against the Chargers. Saturday can’t get here soon enough. Go Lions!!!

60. fourthand20 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:01 AM

Who cares? As long as there are articles about the Lions next game after the regular season is over, it’s fine with me.

61. jayesix says: Jan 6, 2012 7:32 AM

The Lions are bigger underdogs than Denver??? Wow thanks for that.

62. cowboycjn says: Jan 6, 2012 8:41 AM

Well all this speculating will soon be a reality. Counting down – in 36 hours from now we will be in real game time between Lions/Saints to see how many people in here are gonna have to eat $_ it for making so many dumb remarks of predictions in here.
    Oh I forgot everybody has a crystal ball.

63. darthhitman77 says: Jan 6, 2012 6:56 PM

Lions are dirty??? Anybody see how much the Saints provoked ‘em the last time they played?? Read an article on MLive earlier about how the coaches are having guys shove and push players the prep ‘em for the Saints and their tactics…and the LIONS are DIRTY????

64. cornernum23 says: Jan 7, 2012 6:53 AM

Evans is right. People tend to forget that it’s the job of offensive linemen to protect their QB. I’m a Lions fan, and I’ll tell you this. If one of the Saints players try some mess I know the Lions O-line won’t let it fly. And the Saints shouldn’t either.