Patriots will speak to McDaniels this weekend

AP

Earlier Friday, Peter King reported that the Rams wouldn’t stand in Josh McDaniels’ way if he wanted to leave town.

It sounds like he will take St. Louis up on their offer.

McDaniels will speak with the Patriots this weekend, according to NFL.com’s Albert Breer. League rules would actually allow McDaniels to join the Patriots staff immediately for the team’s playoff run, although it seems like an odd time to bring him aboard.

We’d also be surprised if McDaniels doesn’t eventually interview with the Chiefs about a position. He could interview for the coordinator job there or the head coaching job.

The Patriots generally haven’t brought coaches back to the fold after they leave, but McDaniels has always been a favorite of Bill Belichick.

Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien is moving on to Penn State, but will stay with the team until the end of the playoffs.

68 responses to “Patriots will speak to McDaniels this weekend

1. For some reason when I think of this I’m reminded of when Dirk Diggler comes crawling back to Jack Horner at the end of Boogie Nights.

2. He’s welcome to come back because he left on good terms and wasn’t shady about it, unlike Mangina.

3. Go for it, Josh.

Can’t wait to see the huge amount of crow that hordes of Pats fans would have to eat due to the fact that they constantly and voluminously bashed McDaniels the entire time that he was gone from New England.

Also can’t wait to see the lame excuses from those same Pats fans as to why they will have to flip-flop on liking him, then hating him, then liking him again.

Flip-flopping…a New England tradition!

4. Ahhhh, Josh. The world thanks you for drafting Tebow in the first round, setting the first match to the flames of Tebowmania in which we innocent football fans find ourselves presently engulfed.

Putz.

5. Yes, Lloyd will follow him to replace No-Show Cinco and the offense will actually be BETTER next year. Pats again two steps ahead of the league.

6. gcw440 says:
    Jan 6, 2012 6:14 PM
    Would rather have Weis back
    _________________________
    ThisthisthisthisTHIS!!!!!!
    Not A Mickey D fan, loved Charlie.

Law Firm, Woodhead, Ridley & Vereen will have to file for unemployment if Mr.”Line up in shotgun and pass every down” comes back.

7. what I wouldn’t give to leave my current job for 3 years, make millions of dollars as I 100% fail at every aspect of my new position(s), and then simply return to my old position and pretend like the whole leaving/3 year failure thing never happened………. Well played Mr. McDaniels….. Well played indeed.

8. gcw440 says:Jan 6, 2012 6:14 PM

Would rather have Weis back
    _________________________

I will grant you that Brady was still “learning” the position when Weis was the OC (which seems like a strange concept since he had 3 rings at that point), but did you forget 2007 already? Charlie was is a fantastic play caller, but seriously, the Pats didnt win any Super Bowls because of Weis…

9. Fool rams should have gave Lloyd a contract already. Now he’ll be a stowaway in mcd’s trunk outta town.

10. Am I the only person who thinks that the OC position in New England is basically being Tom Brady’s playbook holder?

11. bozosforall says:

Go for it, Josh.

Flip-flopping…a New England tradition!

__________________

Flip-flopping is necessary in this world — I don’t care what politics says.

Also, the Raiders franchise has a lot to be jealous about, compared to most of the rest of the NFL – the state of the Patriots coaching/players/
    ownership/organization included.

Thank you for continually letting us know how much so you are. It’s nice to see.

12. “We’d also be surprised if McDaniels doesn’t eventually interview with the Chiefs about a position”.
    aHEM.
    Have you lost your minds.
    Romeo wouldn’t bring him on board if he was smart.
    Mc needs Ritalin.

13. “Gee Josh, I’d love to have you back, but… remember that fist-pump you gave after you beat me in Denver a couple of years ago? Yeah… I just wanted to invite you here so I could see your dreams crushed in person when I tell you ‘no’. I’m kind of vindictive like that. Tootles- enjoy KC!”

+Bill Belichek+

14. I am the most ignorant Patriots hating putz of all time, but I gotta go back down to my moms basement, cuz she gets home any minute now, and doesnt like when I am on her computer…plus my Magic the Gathering Party is tomorrow night and I need to get my costume ready

15. bozosforall says: Jan 6, 2012 6:26 PM

Go for it, Josh.

Flip-flopping…a New England tradition!
    ————————————————-
    At least you’re consistent. Never let facts get in the way.

McDaniels left New England on very good terms and has never been disliked here. The same goes for RAC and Charlie Weis. The only assistant to leave and have Pats fans turn on him was the one NY fans dubbed “Mangenius,” and that was for good reason.

Carry on you turd.

16. Too bad the Pats couldn’t just let O’Brien leave now and let McDaniels take over tomorrow. O’Brien playoff play calling is conservative and predictable.

17. Couldn’t McDaniels join the Patriots immediately and then interview for the head coaching job in KC after the season, since it would be a vertical move?

18. As a Seahawks fan, I just want to thank Josh McDaniels for taking our second pick in 2009 to get Alphonso Smith and giving us Denver’s first rounder in 2010 that we used to draft Earl Thomas. Thank you Mr. McDaniels. Thank you.

19. rushmatic says:
    Jan 6, 2012 6:54 PM
    bozosforall says:

Go for it, Josh.

Flip-flopping…a New England tradition!

__________________

Flip-flopping is necessary in this world — I don’t care what politics says.

ownership/organization included.

__
    Raiders? When did I ever say that I gave two craps about the Raiders?

Thanks for the lame excuse though. Nice to see.

20. ud1hens says:
    Jan 6, 2012 6:08 PM
    The picture caption should be, “So I take right at the first red light, then drive northeast about a thousand miles?”

That is funny!

21. bozosforaII says:
    Jan 6, 2012 6:57 PM

__
    Congrats on being the 105th lame ass to come up with a bogus name to pretend to be me. Try a newer tack next time, crybaby Pats loser.

What’s “Magic the Gathering”, BTW…sounds like you are THE expert on whatever that is.

22. tunescribe says:
    Jan 6, 2012 6:58 PM
    @bozosforall (Jets fan/Patriots hater):

No McDaniels for you! Enjoy another year of offensive futility with Schottenheimer, you bitter tool.

__
    NOT a Jets fan, so I don’t really care about Schottenheimer being the OC there.

Funny how you New England losers call everyone bitter, when your region has been the epitome of bitter for nearly a century, mostly because the Yankees have OWNED your loser MLB franchise. Two measly titles in nearly an hundred years don’t change that either.

23. wikidpissah says:
    Jan 6, 2012 7:03 PM
    bozosforall says: Jan 6, 2012 6:26 PM

Go for it, Josh.

Flip-flopping…a New England tradition!
    ————————————————-
    At least you’re consistent. Never let facts get in the way.

Carry on you turd.

__
    Never let facts get in the way? I don’t. All I have to do is look at the comments board of any article regarding McDaniels and see that Josh was consistently bashed by Pats fans.

So carry on, YOU turd.

24. bozosforall says:
    Jan 6, 2012 6:26 PM
    Go for it, Josh.

Flip-flopping…a New England tradition!
    ____________________________
    Ah, bozo, a more apt name I have never seen. What time is the Jests game this weekend? Are you enjoying the offseason in Rex’s belly button? Make sure you clean out all the toe jam before suckling. We all know you have a boy crush on Bill and Tom, but it is a love unrequited. Hell hath no scorn like a little boy scorned!!

25. @bozo

The JETS groupie who only comments on Patriots posts. Listen up, chief of the short bus . Here are some JETS topics you could opine about

1. Santonio “oh captain, my captain ” Holmes.

2. Mark “Chihuahua Eyes ” Sanchez

3. Bart “can’t wait to go 8-8” Scott

4. Brian “21 yd FG attempt ” Schottenheimer.

5. Rex ” threepeat” Ryan

6. Antonio “53 man roster of kids ”
    Cromartie

7. Plexico ” whoops …. right cap, wrong a$$” Burris

Back to your clown car, chuckles.

26. bozosforall says:

Two measly titles in…
    8yrs. One more than the yankees. In the 21rst century. The one we’re in now.
    ———————————————————-
    Fixed it for ya.

27. Confucius said it best “…those who preside over the people should cherish the dearest aims and give the most correct lessons, honoring the requirements of humanity by loving the people as their sons; then the people will use their utmost efforts to please their superiors.” And so Confucius forgave Grasshopper and invited him back into his garden . . .

28. ——————
    ud1hens says

Jan 6, 2012 6:08 PM

———————

Best line ever on pft!!

McD is in shock. He’s like ‘you mean i can get out of this hell hole?!!’

29. 6ball says:Jan 6, 2012 7:58 PM

@bozo

1. Santonio “oh captain, my captain ” Holmes.

2. Mark “Chihuahua Eyes ” Sanchez

3. Bart “can’t wait to go 8-8″ Scott

4. Brian “21 yd FG attempt ” Schottenheimer.

5. Rex ” threepeat” Ryan

6. Antonio “53 man roster of kids ”
    Cromartie

7. Plexico ” whoops …. right cap, wrong a$$” Burris

Back to your clown car, chuckles.
    __________________________________

That was awesome.

30. That’s right you loser, go cry to daddy. Way to get everyone fired in St. Louis in just one year while you were at it– heck of a detour on your way back to New England.

31. bozosforall says:
    Jan 6, 2012 6:26 PM
    Go for it, Josh.

Flip-flopping…a New England tradition!

——————————————–

Who are the Jets playing this weekend?

32. I Havent understood all the hype behind McDaniels this off season but if Belichik loves him so much he must be a solid asset.

Belichik is best ever…

33. Am I the only person who thinks that the OC position in New England is basically being Tom Brady’s playbook holder?

———

You are definitely not. I was actually about to send my resume. Im pretty sure Im qualified for holding a clipboard making 6 figures

34. Just keep McDaniels out of the fold on draft day. He’ll convince the Pats to trade up for a QB that can’t throw a football.

35. Just because he left NE without burning bridges doesn’t mean they should rehire him. How much worse could the last few years have been? Disaster beyond compare coaching the Broncos, then he managed to take the Rams’ offense backwards after they were already nearly as bad as was statistically possible. Let’s all face it: The guy can’t do the job. Just because he’s relatively young, it doesn’t mean he will magically acquire the skills needed to do the job.

36. He’ll go back to Boston, win the Pats another Superbowl, then replace Andy Reid in Philly as head coach in 2013, mark it down.

37. Disaster beyond compare coaching the Broncos

Think of it what you will, but the QB he drafted took the Broncos to the playoffs.

You can say “yeah, but” – half the teams in the league would be happy to have such a disaster.

38. Yup, come on back. We already have some great pieces in place that would make excellent toys for his great offensive schemes. Then they can go out and get speedster Brandon Lloyd, who already knows McDaniels’ offense, and the Patriots will finally have all areas of the field covered on offense. As for the defense… draft, draft, draft.

39. McDaniels was way too young when he went to coach the Broncos – the people in Denver were idiots to offer him the job.

There were 53 players on the roster when McDaniels left after the 2007 season. 6 of them are still there. In the ensuing 4 seasons the Pats have won 50 out of 66 games.

Just do your job – that philosophy seems to work.

(Yes I know it doesn’t hurt to have #12 behind center.)

40. Well, Stan Kroenke is a smart business man at the very least. I mean, if he fired McD when he fired Spags, he’d have to pay him the remaining balance on his contract (think it’s 2 more years), but because McD probably chose to resign, he saves that money.