Saturday’s games could break a couple of long streaks

sanders_595getty Getty Images

Tomorrow afternoon, the 2011 playoffs get going with an NBC doubleheader.  And, as NBC Sports producer Ricky Diamond points out from his temporary work location in New Orleans as he prepares for Saturday night’s Lions-Saints rematch, both games could result in the snapping of two very long streaks.

The Bengals haven’t won a playoff game since 1990.  The last playoff win for Cincinnati came in Cincinnati, against Houston.  Not the Texans, of course, but the Oilers.  (The following weekend, the Bengals ended Bo Jackson’s career via a seemingly innocuous tackle that nevertheless broke Bo’s hip and caused the joint to die and required a hip replacement.)

In 1990, the Texans didn’t exist.  And this will be the Texans’ first playoff game in franchise history.  So, either way, the outcome of the game will have historical significance.

The Lions, like the Bengals, haven’t won a playoff game in two decade.  The last Detroit postseason victory occurred against the Cowboys, 38-6, in the 1991 NFC divisional playoffs at the Silverdome.  (The next week, the Lions lost to the Redskins in Washington.  No hips were broken in that game.)

The Lions haven’t won a postseason game away from home since 19-freaking-57.  That year, the Lions beat the 49ers in San Francisco.  As Ricky D. points out, there’s no word as to whether George Wilson and Frankie Albert got into any shoving matches after the post-game handshake.

Meanwhile, I’m beginning to wonder whether I actually was under the influence of some type of intoxicating beverage yesterday morning, when I picked the Lions to win in New Orleans on Saturday night.  Either way, I may need an intoxicating beverage or two if the Saints are up by 14 or more in the fourth quarter.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, Home, Houston Texans, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
46 Responses to “Saturday’s games could break a couple of long streaks”
  1. lionsfanatic84 says: Jan 6, 2012 7:24 AM

I need an intoxicating beverage when you think you are funny

2. dewalt2990 says: Jan 6, 2012 7:24 AM

Honolulu blue KoolAid and Lions butter…make you do strange things.

3. irishking says: Jan 6, 2012 7:38 AM

Saints win.

4. cincyhokie says: Jan 6, 2012 7:59 AM

The Bengals-Texans game really is like a bowl game. Both teams looking to end long playoff win droughts, neither having a chance in hell to win the following week.

It’s all in for both teams in this game! Battle of the rookie QB’s!

5. vincentbojackson says: Jan 6, 2012 8:01 AM

The Bengals obviously suffer from the curse of Bo Jackson.

6. xtb3 says: Jan 6, 2012 8:09 AM

Giants have never won a home playoff game under Tom Coughlin.

7. socaldave2011 says: Jan 6, 2012 8:12 AM

WHO DAT!

8. test2402 says: Jan 6, 2012 8:12 AM

Tim Tebow will set records this weekend.

9. kisstherings says: Jan 6, 2012 8:14 AM

Nobody’s worried about who you picked to win the game. Expectations are pretty low dude.

10. bengalsown says: Jan 6, 2012 8:41 AM

Under the influence of some type of intoxicating beverage?

Why can’t you just say “drunk”?

11. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jan 6, 2012 8:51 AM

Don’t let idiot PFT posters fool you. Bo Jackson’s injury was not the result of a cheap shot.

12. notdemfalcons says: Jan 6, 2012 9:01 AM

I’ve been noticing a lot of Saints hatin going on in various threads here …
    You know your team has arrived when everyone else hates em!
    Who Dat!
    Not dem Lions!!!

13. jethrie says: Jan 6, 2012 9:18 AM

Then Bengals V. Oilers game was in 1991. It was January of 1991, but 1991 none the less.

14. klunge says: Jan 6, 2012 9:32 AM

I see the Saints fans are out in full force this morning, showing off their intelligence with all those witty posts. “Who dat!” Boy, that gem just doesn’t lose it’s lustre!

15. stinkythumbs says: Jan 6, 2012 9:37 AM

Who dat thinks its a clever saying? Who dat? No one. Lions win on Saturday.

16. lionsfanatic84 says: Jan 6, 2012 9:41 AM

Notdemfalcons-
    I agree, and although I am a diehard lions fan, I’m shocked that so many people are picking the lions over the saints. The lions did make it a game the first time without their stupid penalties, but still the saints are the hottest team right now. Don’t get me wrong I want the lions to win, I’m just shocked how many people think they will

17. mikewhorio says: Jan 6, 2012 9:44 AM

Mike, nice way to subtlely retract that you were hammered, even though you really were.

18. scomibord says: Jan 6, 2012 10:00 AM

WHO DAT….WHO DAT SAY DEY GONNA SKIN DEM KITTY KATS…WHO DAT WHO DAT

19. bullwnkl985 says: Jan 6, 2012 10:10 AM

“test2402 says:
    Jan 6, 2012 8:12 AM
    Tim Tebow will set records this weekend.”

Yes, for offensive futility in a playoff game! hehe

20. eddieapoc says: Jan 6, 2012 10:11 AM

I like the Saints alright. But wow their fans. It wasn’t long ago you were the Aints and your one Drew Bree’s retirement/injury from heading right back.

WHOOO DAAT WHOO DUUUUUHHHH WHOO WHOOOO DAT WHOOOO WHOOOOO

21. notdemfalcons says: Jan 6, 2012 10:12 AM

klunge says:
    Jan 6, 2012 9:32 AM

—-

I see the bigoted Northerners are out today as well.

22. binarybulge says: Jan 6, 2012 10:12 AM

test2402 says:
    Jan 6, 2012 8:12 AM
    Tim Tebow will set records this weekend.

Yes, futility records. Maybe worst playoff performance by a QB ever, or most unanswered in-game prayers.

23. jpmcgee says: Jan 6, 2012 10:13 AM

There’s another streak at stake for the Bengals:

The Bengals have never won a road playoff game in franchise history — 0-4 all-time.

24. megatronownsyou says: Jan 6, 2012 10:13 AM

Didn’t have to wait long today for the Lions bashing garbage. At least it was a little more subtle than usual. Thanks. Now I can go about the rest of my day.
    Anyone else think the phrase “who dat” sounds incredibly ignorant considering “dat” isn’t a word? Let me help you brilliant southerners: it’s “that”.

25. binarybulge says: Jan 6, 2012 10:17 AM

notdemfalcons says:
    Jan 6, 2012 9:01 AM
    I’ve been noticing a lot of Saints hatin going on in various threads here …
    You know your team has arrived when everyone else hates em!
    Who Dat!
    Not dem Lions!!!

Interestingly, it has a direct correlation to the volume of posts by braggadocious Saints fans who like to use the word “dem.”

26. notdemfalcons says: Jan 6, 2012 10:17 AM

lionsfanatic84 says:
    Jan 6, 2012 9:41 AM
    Notdemfalcons-

—–

And you just might win. Should be a classic no either way though … Can’t wait to watch!
    The Lions return to relevance is nothing but a good thing for the league and anyone who disagrees has no perspective on the history of the league.

27. 20bust11 says: Jan 6, 2012 10:20 AM

Everyone is rooting for the Lions, except Saints fans. They’ll be making so much noise in the Mecedes Benz Superdome, that Stafford won’t be heard.
    Then everyone, except Saints fans, will be rooting for the 49ers. On and on.
    The Saints are on a roll, and nobody wants to play them. They actually set more records in one game, than most teams have set in a decade. I don’t blame the Saints haters. If I were a head coach, in the NFL, I wouldn’t want to play the Saints either.
    There is no power, in the verse, that can stop the Saints.
    That’s all!

28. rmc1995 says: Jan 6, 2012 10:26 AM

Mike, these aren’t the same old lions so feel good about your pick rather than make excuses based on a disappointing history none of the current lions players or coaches were a part of. Feel good that the lions defense is fully healthy for the first time. They were a top 10 defense before Delmas got injured. Think of the effect Bob Sanders had for the 2006 colts when he returned for the playoffs.

29. dvdman123 says: Jan 6, 2012 10:27 AM

To those Saints and Lions complaining about the so called “hating” on each other’s teams. All I have to say it’s all in fun, don’t take it personal.

30. bigdan7885 says: Jan 6, 2012 10:32 AM

JAEGER BOMBS.

31. minkytails says: Jan 6, 2012 10:40 AM

Like any of these 4 teams could beat the Packers anyway.

32. bordner says: Jan 6, 2012 10:42 AM

I think I remember reading a lot of that “who dat” crap before the Seattle game last year as well.

33. ilivincin says: Jan 6, 2012 10:54 AM

The Muddogs, I mean Bengals, are going to beat the Texans 24-17. They probably won’t get passed the Pats, but I don’t care, I’m super happy they are in the playoffs, when all the “experts” picked them to be dead effen last in the league. This will be a springboard into next year when they have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Who Dey… forever! Who Dat…never!

34. brett76 says: Jan 6, 2012 10:59 AM

I hope the Saints are as over confident as their fans…Time for the saints to get back to their real history….bags over the head & losing in the Playoffs like when Mora was the coach

35. boisestatewhodat says: Jan 6, 2012 11:02 AM

Actually, you probably didn’t hear a lot of who dat crap last year before the Seattle game. You probably heard a lot of skeptical Saints fans that were concerned about that game mainly due to injuries suffered the week prior…not the case this time around. The lions are far better than the Seahawks were last year and the Saints are light years better and healthier than they were last year…Lions will stick around most of this game but will get burried late. Saints 45, Lions 24.

WHO DAT!

36. sisqsage says: Jan 6, 2012 11:16 AM

Saints in the dome = Saints up big early and then often in a rout.

Lions don’t run the ball well, which is the only way they would have a chance.

It would be a different outcome if Saints were on the road.

Again, just how did the Texans make the playoffs?

37. boisestatewhodat says: Jan 6, 2012 11:18 AM

brett, I can assure you that the Saints are not as overconfident as us fans. They’re one of the most well coached and poised teams in the NFL. They know the Lions are a great team…but be assured there little buddy…the days of bags are long gone. I think deep down you realize this though and just the fact that you’re hoping for that speaks volumes about how much you fear this team…got to be a niner fan.

38. simon94022 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:56 AM

Believe it or not, there are still a lot of 49er fans who haven’t completely gotten over the pain of that 1957 loss to the Lions at Kezar….

39. stinkfoot51 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:03 PM

Brees will carve up the kitties like a butcher does a dead bambi. It will be close for the first quarter then Brees and his 15 different receivers will make it a blood bath. GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!!!!

40. gosuhgo says: Jan 6, 2012 12:07 PM

Will it be a record if Tebow completes 0 passes in the playoffs? Cause to be fair I’ve done that too.

41. whodey14to18 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:45 PM

WHO DEY!

42. lionsfanatic84 says: Jan 6, 2012 1:09 PM

Notdemfalcons-
    Good luck to the saints, we will have an entertaining affair that’s for sure

43. jimmylions says: Jan 6, 2012 1:52 PM

In that playoff game where the Lions beat the Cowboys, I think it should be noted that the game became so lopsided that the Lions allowed Andre Ware to come in and play quarterback.

When Andre took the field, it was like the ultimate Coup de Gras. The Cowboys all talked big before the game – Jimmy Johnson talked about how the game would be a lopsided win for the Cowboys. They weren’t saying anything when the game became such a laugher that Andre Ware took snaps against them!

Also – Jimmy Johnson has a tendency to misquote the Cowboys playoff record and leave out this total whooping! Hopefully he gets reminded of it repeatedly this weekend.

And I still love it when no one gives us a chance to win … keep talking smack – the Lions play great when the world talks trash about them!

44. htown1035 says: Jan 6, 2012 3:36 PM

Let’s not forget also that the city of Houston hasn’t been in the playoffs for 18 years, almost 2 decades.

45. htown1035 says: Jan 6, 2012 3:42 PM

Ok, a sensible question for Bengals fans – honestly how do you feel so confident that the Bengals are going to win on Saturday? You already lost to the Texans, in Cincinnati, against a rookie QB making only his second start. You had 5 sacks and forced 4 turnovers and still lost. And now you are going to play in Houston with Andre coming back? Both teams aren’t playing great right now, but don’t you think that adjustments would be made just like they were in the second half of the previous game?

I just don’t understand where all the over-confidence comes from.

46. htownking says: Jan 6, 2012 4:48 PM

The Bengals suck!!!!! The Texans D will stop the running game like they did in the second half of the first game. Wade will confuse Andy. Dre will catch all over the secondary and Foster will run for over a hundred yards with two TDs. Easy win for Houston.