Steelers running back coach Kirby Wilson badly burned in fire

Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Headshots

The Steelers have a playoff game in Denver Sunday, but the team’s thoughts may be elsewhere in the coming days.

Running backs coach Kirby Wilson, 50, was “badly burned” in a house fire early Friday morning according to Channel 11 in Pittsburgh.  The cause of the fire is unknown.

“First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers are with Kirby and his entire family,” Steelers President Art Rooney said in a statement. “We are saddened to hear about this unfortunate situation but we know that he has the best medical care in the country treating him. The entire organization is praying for Kirby to have a full recovery and we will be by his side through this difficult time.”

We wish Wilson and his family all the best during this time and hope for a speedy recovery.   Wilson is in his fifth year as Steelers running backs coach.

Permalink 75 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
75 Responses to “Steelers running back coach Kirby Wilson badly burned in fire”
  1. ProDolphinsTalk says: Jan 6, 2012 11:00 AM

This headline read like another lame attempt at humor from Rosenthal. I thought the RB coach got fired. I wish this gentleman the best.

2. dungydouche says: Jan 6, 2012 11:02 AM

very sad

3. jmphinsfan says: Jan 6, 2012 11:03 AM

not a Steelers fan at all, but praying for this guy and his family.

4. bangyourhead4 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:04 AM

Hate to hear stuff like this.
    Get Well.

5. sojumaster says: Jan 6, 2012 11:04 AM

Best wishes and speedy recovery!!

6. ottomanismydog says: Jan 6, 2012 11:04 AM

Get well soon Kirby!

7. fat4jc says: Jan 6, 2012 11:06 AM

queue the “burned like symptoms” comments.

Wishing Kirby the very best in his recovery. Such a tragedy…hope his family was okay as well.

8. realnflmaster says: Jan 6, 2012 11:07 AM

Get out there and coach, I know Rex Ryan would be out on the sidelines.

9. frankgarrett says: Jan 6, 2012 11:08 AM

I think Tebow is starting to use a Voo -Doo Doll

10. waxthat says: Jan 6, 2012 11:10 AM

Best of luck through your recovery, Kirby. Hopefully you’ll be back on the sidelines soon enough.

Go Niners

11. hebertespinosa says: Jan 6, 2012 11:10 AM

Sad and shocking news. RIP, Wilson.

12. falconsfan1991 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:10 AM

Terrible to hear. Get well soon

13. nineroutsider says: Jan 6, 2012 11:10 AM

That is horrible news; wish him and his family all the best. Wonder if it was caused by one of those oil burning stoves they have back east; those setups are garbage.

It seems like there is a lot of stuff happening with the Steelers this week…

14. steelersb says: Jan 6, 2012 11:11 AM

Get well soon Kirb! Let’s get a win for him in Denver…

15. cancelsundayticket says: Jan 6, 2012 11:11 AM

So saddened to hear this. Get well soon Kirby! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

16. bostonbias says: Jan 6, 2012 11:11 AM

Just said a prayer for him. I ask that others join us. The early statements did not sound very good.

17. Andre's Johnson says: Jan 6, 2012 11:12 AM

I read the post title with the word “burned” as a verb rather than an adjective. It was incredibly vague. I reacted with horror and quickly read through the post. I then realized that he didn’t burn in the fire. He was burned in the fire. Still bad, but not quite what your title suggested.

I see now that you’ve changed the headline in the spirit of clarity. Good call.

I hope Coach Wilson a full recovery, and quickly.

18. hebertespinosa says: Jan 6, 2012 11:13 AM

Ooops. Not a fatality. Speed reading sucks.

19. flaccodelic says: Jan 6, 2012 11:13 AM

Sorry to hear that. Football is meaningless when something actually-significant like this happens. Hope he recovers OK.

20. kravenm3 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:15 AM

@hebertespinosa…he’s not dead, just badly burned.

21. bengalred says: Jan 6, 2012 11:16 AM

“RIP, Wilson”

maybe we should hold off on that while he’s still alive

22. dickroy says: Jan 6, 2012 11:18 AM

@bostonbias

I have already joined you in a prayer for him and his family. May God be with them.

23. austrianpanther says: Jan 6, 2012 11:19 AM

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Mr. Wilson.

24. stevincinci says: Jan 6, 2012 11:19 AM

Get well soon, from Bengal fan. I’m sure you got burnt saving your family. You are a hero.

25. svcfilmguy says: Jan 6, 2012 11:19 AM

Being burned is one of the worst things I can imagine. It’s painful enough putting hot pizza into my mouth, so I can’t imagine the pain he must be in. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. God, this sucks.

26. johnnyjagfan says: Jan 6, 2012 11:20 AM

@realnflmaster:

That was disgusting.

Burns are the most serious injury to the body’s largest organ. Get this guy to Augusta, GA. Best burn center in the country there.

Prayers are in order for him and those that surround him. This is a very long road.

27. holeinone09 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:23 AM

Awful news. One of the worst things that could happen to someone, being burned. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family from a member of Steeler Nation.

28. scoobyscraps says: Jan 6, 2012 11:23 AM

As a Bengals fan, I am usually waiting for bad things to happen to the Steelers. This is NOT one of those times. Here’s to a speedy recovery!

29. noquickreactionshere says: Jan 6, 2012 11:23 AM

fat4jc says:
    Jan 6, 2012 11:06 AM
    queue the “burned like symptoms” comments.

________________________________

Why would you even say that? Idiots like you give all fans a bad name, nobody else went there with this but you decided to. You make the assumption that fans of other teams think that football and rivalry is more important than life and family.

This article is not a sports story, it’s not about athletics, teams, a rivalry, or a game. It’s about a mans life and you equate that to comments about your team…. a freaking game.

Just simply sad and pathetic, grow up….

30. packerstexansfan says: Jan 6, 2012 11:23 AM

@ herbertespinosa

He didn’t pass away.

Hope for a healthy and speedy recovery for him.

31. maddog111 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:24 AM

Wow, what awful news. Hopes this gives us all a little perspective for the upcoming weekends. Fun to talk trash with each other, but in the end they’re just games.

Get well soon Kirby.

32. 187onsandusky says: Jan 6, 2012 11:27 AM

Redman is going to run like a man possessed in honor of coach Kirby

33. bjorntorock says: Jan 6, 2012 11:29 AM

what kind of sick person would dislike some of these positive comments????? just sad

34. buffaloniner says: Jan 6, 2012 11:30 AM

Tebow you’ve really gone to far this time. Look what your god has done now to help you win a football game. We all know god cares more about getting the W for Denver than he does about peoples lives so it is the only logical answer I can think of (sarcasm) … no seriously though, this is terrible. I can’t imagine the physical pain of being terribly burned like that and the emotional pain of the life long scars if he survives. I’ll pray… er… hope for a great recovery. Seriously, get well.

35. daveyjones1 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:31 AM

I hate to hear about things like this and I hope the best for him. However, it seems like things are mounting up against the Steelers. Mendy, Big Ben, and several other injuries, playing with heavy hearts, and huge favorites on the road. I am not saying the Broncos will win, but I would not be shocked by a Denver win either.

36. steelbydesign says: Jan 6, 2012 11:31 AM

“not a Steelers fan at all, but praying for this guy and his family.”

Didn’t realize you had to be a fan of a team to wish someone well after an accident.

37. sj39 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:31 AM

What the hell kind of moron would give a thumbs down to some of the well wishing comments posted here? There are some sicko’s out there for sure.

38. hendawg21 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:32 AM

hebertespinosa says:
    Jan 6, 2012 11:10 AM
    Sad and shocking news. RIP, Wilson.

I don’t think the article said he died…come on dude give him a chance…

39. bigfella87 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:34 AM

My god. Here’s hoping for a speedy recovery. Best of luck Mr. Wilson!

40. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jan 6, 2012 11:37 AM

My prayers go out to Mr. Wilson and his family. Hopefully everyone involved can recover well.

41. opbilly says: Jan 6, 2012 11:42 AM

good luck and get well soon from a ravens fan. burns are horrible painful injuries and take a long time to heal.

42. Nevis says: Jan 6, 2012 11:43 AM

Jesus, hope he is OK.

43. mac3333 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:46 AM

As a burn victim I can sympathize.

GET WELL SOON KIRBY!!!

(And this is from someone that hates all things Black and Gold)

44. minhw0714 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:56 AM

Get well soon to Kirby and his family.

45. djrando7 says: Jan 6, 2012 11:59 AM

HEY MODERATORS, HOW COULD YOU ALLOW A COMMENT LIKE THE ONE BELOW. Get some class.
    ——————————————–
    buffaloniner says:
    Jan 6, 2012 11:30 AM

46. raven410 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:01 PM

Mike Wallace must of ran past him in practice. Get well Kirbster!

47. nesuperfan says: Jan 6, 2012 12:03 PM

Any decent human being, regardless of team alliances, should wish this guy, and his family, the best. I hope he fully recovers.

48. buffaloniner says: Jan 6, 2012 12:06 PM

djrando7, I think you missed the point of my comment. Translation, A man’s life and well being is far greater than a football game. I wish you the best, Kirby. Get well.

49. karla36 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:15 PM

Very sad story. I wish the best for him and his family!

50. steelersownyou says: Jan 6, 2012 12:24 PM

We love to talk smack as fanbases. But it is things like this, no matter what fanbase it is that puts life in perspective. Nice to see all fanbases get along when tragedy strikes..get well kirby. Our prayers are with you ..

51. cshearing says: Jan 6, 2012 12:25 PM

The article on ESPN stated it is not considered life-threatening, he has “moderate to severe” burns on his arms and legs.

Hopefully they are accurate and Kirby can recover fully. Best wishes to him and his family.

52. ravenschick says: Jan 6, 2012 12:26 PM

Here’s hoping and praying for Coach Wilson’s speedy recovery.

Life is way more important than football.

53. tim6161 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:28 PM

The Illini Nation is praying for you.

Go Illini!

54. dickroy says: Jan 6, 2012 12:28 PM

I just don’t understand how anyone can give a thumbs down on people praying for or wishing well for this man and his family.

55. starfan79 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:37 PM

hold in there buddy… everybody needs you

56. asublimeday says: Jan 6, 2012 12:40 PM

Why, tebow? Why would you do this?

57. steelers1981 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:40 PM

Get well soon, sir.

58. joojie71 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:41 PM

Burns are horrible. Have a friend who was burned severely…quite a struggle. Prayers go out to Kirby and his family. From Packer nation…

59. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Jan 6, 2012 12:45 PM

#1. ProDolphinsTalk’s comments have the same high quality as the play of his team. #2. That’s horrible and I wish him the best. Having worked in a burns unit I can tell you being burned like that is the most painful thing imaginable. Every day of his recovery will be courageous.

60. ravensman says: Jan 6, 2012 12:49 PM

Best wishes to Mr. Wilson for a speedy and complete recovery.

61. broncotis3000 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:51 PM

To all the losers mentioning Tebow please get a life or better yet take your own and do us all a favor…..Thoughts and prayers to Kirby and his family..from a Bronco fan.

62. caseyanthonymunoz says: Jan 6, 2012 12:53 PM

Everybody else getting headlines has to be killing Bathroom Ben. I’m sure he’ll burn his mouth on some cheese pizza today and call a presser just to let people know about it. Kinda like his GRADE ONE ankle sprain.

63. deadmanwalking47 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:55 PM

hope the man and his family heal swiftly.i’ll be praying for the family.

64. byrds71 says: Jan 6, 2012 12:56 PM

You are in my prayers, I hope that with today’s technology and medical knowledge you will make it through and recover to lead a normal life again. God Bless.

65. fat4jc says: Jan 6, 2012 1:04 PM

noquickreactionshere says:
    Jan 6, 2012 11:23 AM

—————————————————-

You must not read the comments here often….and if you choose to look at what I said, you’ll find I’m agreeing with you. This is about a man’s life… by beating them to the punch with the comment I made, it makes it unoriginal for them to even go there.

66. realitypolice says: Jan 6, 2012 1:13 PM

ProDolphinsTalk says:
    Jan 6, 2012 11:00 AM
    ==============================

I am pretty sure you are the only person on earth who read that headline and thought that.

How else would you have suggested he write the headline?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, coach.

67. jagsgrl says: Jan 6, 2012 1:14 PM

praying for you, coach

68. godofwine330 says: Jan 6, 2012 1:21 PM

I’m a Browns fan, but leave my rivalry to the play on the field and the fans with their jerseys, towels & memoribilia.

I am praying for him and his family and hope that he makes a complete recovery. Football is a game, this is life. Get well soon, Coach Kirby.

69. buffaloniner says: Jan 6, 2012 1:22 PM

So people dislike posts that wishes this man the best after this horrible tragedy but also mentions everyones favorite player and the fact that if one is to believe that god makes good things happen for the sake of a football game then one would also likely believe god makes the bad things happen too (I don’t believe this myself, just a bit of social observation)… Yet people like a post telling said commenters to take their own life… hmmm sounds about right.

Get well, Kirby.

70. drewsylvania says: Jan 6, 2012 1:25 PM

It really does sound horrible. Can’t think about it without shuddering. Successful pain management and full recovery, please.

71. Deb says: Jan 6, 2012 1:34 PM

My prayers go out for Coach Wilson and his family. I hope no one else was injured in the incident, and that God will ease Kirby’s pain and grant him a speedy recovery.

72. broncotis3000 says: Jan 6, 2012 1:48 PM

@buffaloniner……The point is why mention “everyone’s favorite player” at all when discussing a tragedy like this….Whats the point? Thanks for the social commentary…(rolls eyes)

73. broncotis3000 says: Jan 6, 2012 1:59 PM

@koenig61…….You hit it on the head…Juvenile smack talk -OK, Critisizing the writers – BAD

74. noquickreactionshere says: Jan 6, 2012 2:26 PM

fat4jc says:
    Jan 6, 2012 1:04 PM
    noquickreactionshere says:
    Jan 6, 2012 11:23 AM

—————————————————-

__________________________________

No…. I get your point….

The fact still remains that when you read this story to associated it with a pro football team. Your comments prove that you are awaiting and expecting comments from ignorant people who would joke about this mans life and use this situation to take shots at the team. This has absolutly nothing to do with the Pittsburgh Steelers; it’s about a human being going through a tragic event. Although you are trying to say the right thing your comment and expectations still prove that you feel the need to defend your team. By “beating them to the punch” you proved that your mind works in the same direction as theirs.

PS nobody made that comment, if they had then they would have been the idiots but now instead you are.

75. buffaloniner says: Jan 6, 2012 2:48 PM

@broncotis3000 why get so upset because somebody mentioned “everyone’s favorite player” in a tragedy like this? Why mention him yourself? Why tell people they should kill themselves?… what’s the point? Thanks for the hypocrisy.