Colts and Manning may both be open to pushing back option bonus

Getty Images

The next big checkpoint for the ongoing Peyton Manning-Colts drama is March 8, when the quarterback’s monster option bonus is due.

In a perfect world, the Colts would have the most amount of medical information possible before paying that huge bonus.

Peter King reported on NBC Saturday that Manning and the Colts both may be open to pushing back the deadline.

That’s not surprising from the Colts perspective. They would probably like as much time as they can get. It’s been uncertain if Manning would want to help them out by delaying the decision.

Perhaps the “family” relationship between Irsay and Manning will help out the Colts here.

39 responses to “Colts and Manning may both be open to pushing back option bonus

1. Get on with it already. Cut this guy! Peyton has been looking up at his brother for the past 3 years now anyway!!! I wish this guy well, but the Fat Lady has sung.

2. totally unrelated to the post, but that was a horrible personal foul call just now on Reggie Nelson. Or, maybe it was the absolute right call and it’s a horrible rule. After an entire season of this crap, i’m still not sure.

3. It has already been revealed that the bonus cannot be renegotiated or pushed back. A new rule in the CBA states that the current year of a contract may not be renegotiated after the final regular season game of that year has been played. The Colts will have to make the decision soon.

4. I think Peyton should exact his revenge by winning another Superbowl or two somewhere besides Indiananoplace. I’d love to see him healthy and in a Chiefs uniform this fall.

5. I’m a Colts fan that desperately wants to see this happen. Gives more time to examine his health, plus makes him tradeable if we want to go into full-rebuild mode. But I have no idea why Peyton would do it, nor do I know why his agent would allow it. Either he’s found not healthy and released with no bonus, or he’s found healthy and traded to a destination he’d have no control over and would have to weaken itself and strengthen a potential rival to obtain him.

I want to believe Peyton is a stand-up guy that would do that for the good of a franchise that’s getting rid of him, but I know I wouldn’t be

6. People need to wake up andrew lucks goin to be a great quarterback but face reality he is not ready he needs to sit behind manning for a few years cause manning wikk be ready.look at rodgers he sat behind favre and now look at him imagine what luck could learn by the greatest quarterback of the nfl history trust me u don’t wana plsy against him.

7. Per the CBA, Article 13, section 8, (a)(iii): No contract renegotiations may be done for a current season after the last regular season game of that season. Nice reporting… it amazes me how no one bothers to know the rules any more… embarrassing

8. Enough with the Manning ,Luck, Irsay, Colts thing this is not really drama we all know whats gonna happen !

9. I think the Colts should pay Manning. If they were dumb enough to structure that contract-then they should pay up. If I was Peyton, knowing they are in the process of possibly replacing me, get your money man.

10. factoryofsadness says: Jan 7, 2012 4:57 PM

Peyton has been looking up at his brother for the past 3 years now anyway!!!

_____________________________________

Either you haven’t watched any football for the past three years, or you just plain don’t know what you’re talking about.

11. Dear CBA “geniuses”;

The new 2012 league year starts on March 1, 2012. The bonus is due March 8, 2012. That means that the contract will be renegotiated during the 2012 league year before any games are played.

12. adbrandtAndrew Brandt

Re questions about Manning/Colts moving back 3/8 date for $28 million option, NFLPA tells me “it can’t happen.” Complicated language.

13. Just a pre-emptive statement here, but people need to stop with the “trade manning and rebuild” comments. It would be a $38 million cap hit to the Colts so it aint happening. he’s either going to be signed, or he’s going to be cut and retire b/c he can’t play

14. orthomarine says:Jan 7, 2012 5:43 PM

___________________________

I think he done got his money. In the immortal
    words of Charlie Sheen from Wall Street “How many yachts can you ski behind???”

15. sask9999 says:
    Jan 7, 2012 5:42 PM

———————

Except the bonus is due in the new year just before the free agent and trading period opens.

16. This ‘family’ talk is garbage. Peyton Manning is a business asset to them and will be evaluated accordingly; Manning is only going to hurt himself if he views the situation as anything but.

17. Actually, this is not a contract renegotiation per the mention above. Peyton signed a 1 year deal and agreed to a 4 year deal on top of that if the Colts give him the 28 mil roster bonus. This protected the Colts if he was unable to get healthy.

18. lucasstafford says above that manning is best qb in nfl history… he is not even best qb of his era… tom brady is. montana, elway, brady are all better… just count the rings baby!!!

19. wow…how quickly everyone is giving up on manning. i for one dont think luck is going to be a star…at best a decent qb. manning has delayed money before to help he will do it again.

20. I doubt that any contract signed while the old CBA was in effect is affected by the new rules, which is why they can do this.

21. kingmj4891 says:
    Jan 7, 2012 6:19 PM
    sask9999 says:
    Jan 7, 2012 5:42 PM

———————

Try to keep up… The league year starts 5 days after the bonus is due…

22. gatorays says:
    Jan 7, 2012 7:05 PM

I don’t think we’re giving up. I know I’m not. I just think the Colts need to think about their future. Do they bring back a mega-expensive 35 year old QB with no certainty that he’s going to be able to play moving forward, and pass up on what many are calling the top QB prospect in decades?

They almost NEED to trade him and try to cash in on the handful of high draft picks they will get for him.

23. I would love manning to heal up and get back to form but when you have a fused neck the likelihood of being ruined forever with a snapped neck, and possible paralysis I would take a hard look at that situation.

If it isn’t a serious as I stated and Manning has been you Superstar 4 ever and sold you Irsay millions of Dollars in merchandising and other amenities pay the guy.

Irsay is a cheap bastard like his daddy. I heard the city is paying heavily now due to Lucas oil field on Irsay’s expense

24. sask9999 says:
    Jan 7, 2012 5:42 PM
    __________________________________

“current season”

A good lawyer could get MILES outta those two words.
    If both parties of a contract agree on a change I don’t think there’s anybody or thing (NFLPA/CBA) that can stop them from making it.

25. This is for the idiots that keep quoting the CBA Article 13… Peyton will be a free agent which means there is no renegotiating. The colts signed him to a 1yr deal this year and the next will be 4yr deal if they decide to go along with it. This is not considered to renegotiating.

26. coltamania says:
    Jan 7, 2012 8:09 PM

_________________________________

Some of us idiots know that he won’t be a FA
    until the Colts option out of the 4 yr extension and that option currently expires on March 8th

27. lucasstafford1989 says: Jan 7, 2012 5:39 PM

________________________
    Everyone said Cam Newton wasn’t ready and look at him now. If Matt Ryan, Flacco, and Stafford get to start in their rookie years, why should Luck? He is a better prospect than all of them. How in the world do you know if he is ready or not?

28. The Irsays love Peyton. I’ve heard from many people that on Monday nights the Irsays love to show movies on Peyton’s forehead. They all laugh, cry and feel exhilirated together.

They’ll get it worked out.

29. flyboy123456 says:Jan 8, 2012 12:30 AM

——————————

30. why would manning do that? force their hand. If I were manning I wouldn’t throw any footballs and I wouldn’t push anything back. Make him cut me so I can go somewhere else