Pats announce return of Josh McDaniels

Denver Broncos v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

In the same hour that the two players former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels drafted three picks apart in 2010 delivered a playoff win with a stirring 80-yard catch-and-run, the team that will face Tim Tebow and Demaryius Thomas next Saturday night announced that McDaniels has returned.

The Patriots have made it official, via a press release sent via email not long after Tebow and Thomas connected to ensure a rematch of the December 18 game between the two teams.

McDaniels will be an “offensive assistant” for the balance of the season, making his debut on Saturday night when the Patriots host the Broncos.  He served as the Rams’ offensive coordinator in 2011, and it’s believed he’ll become New England’s offensive coordinator after Bill O’Brien leaves for Penn State, following the postseason.

Last time around, the Patriots went to Denver and outscored the Broncos by 18, winning 41-23.  This time, the game will be played at Gillette Stadium, and it will be difficult for the Broncos to win.

The presence on the Patriots’ staff of a guy who knows Tebow and Thomas well won’t make it any easier.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
51 Responses to “Pats announce return of Josh McDaniels”
  1. commandercornpone says: Jan 8, 2012 9:17 PM

film at eleven

2. nflfan1 says: Jan 8, 2012 9:18 PM

Welcome Home Josh!!

3. bhester1906 says: Jan 8, 2012 9:23 PM

This has to be illegal. He worked for another team this year and now he goes against Tebow. That’s not right.

4. dannyduberstein7 says: Jan 8, 2012 9:26 PM

pretty sure the entire country knows tebow well at this point. everyone knows what’s coming. it’s a matter of stopping it.

5. grogansheroes says: Jan 8, 2012 9:28 PM

Every one criticized him for drafting Tebow and Thomas in the first round. They even ran him out of town. Funny how things work out.

6. jaredm37 says: Jan 8, 2012 9:34 PM

Welcome back Josh. You have unfinished business here in New England. Let’s get this $/&@ done.

7. gamermwm says: Jan 8, 2012 9:36 PM

Yeah Josh does know Tebow and Thomas

Maybe if he wants to give the defense some advice for the game it should be “play better”

8. denverdude7 says: Jan 8, 2012 9:40 PM

Glad to see Josh McDaniels back in New England.

Now if he can repeat what he did in Denver the Patriots run at the top should be coming to a close within a year so.

Sure hope he gets caught cheating again.

9. timreph says: Jan 8, 2012 10:01 PM

Just another reason why NE will LOSE to Denver on sat.

10. Deb says: Jan 8, 2012 10:10 PM

Last year McDaniels was telling the world that Belichick “coached” the Pats to videotape opponents’ practices, thus reopening old Spygate wounds and causing Pats’ fans to screech in horror about what a little weasel he is. Now they’re welcoming him back with open arms. When I mentioned him throwing them under the bus last year, the Convenient Amnesiacs called me crazy. That selective memory must be nice. How you and the weasel are very happy together :D

Oh … if you need a refresher:

11. toad8572 says: Jan 8, 2012 10:50 PM

Josh was a really bad coach in Denver; according to the locals, he set the franchise back for years. But, his worst mistake, by far, just killed the Steelers as they advance in the playoffs, and maybe BB knows a real prodigy when he sees one.

Just say’n…

12. vincentbojackson says: Jan 8, 2012 10:51 PM

Unless Josh can suit up and play defense the Pats aren’t going too far.

13. Patskrieg dot com says: Jan 8, 2012 11:25 PM

The non-stop “how can the Patriots get away with this?!” comments remind me of the uproar poser football fans made when the Pats showed up for the 2008 post-spygate draft with the 49ers 1st round pick.

Nice to see you back again football neophytes. It’s a perfectly legal move, and your tears taste so sweet.

14. elmstreeteagle says: Jan 8, 2012 11:25 PM

All I have to say about the Broncos/Steelers game is that Teblow had (John) 316 yards.

15. j0esixpack says: Jan 8, 2012 11:31 PM

gamermwm says: But with the Patriots having the worst defense in the league, there’s not much he can say to the D-coordinator that can help out much

If you go by points per game the Patriots have a Top 10 Defense.

Under your criteria the only team worse than the Patriots is Green Bay, and we all know THEY have no shot at going to the Super Bowl.

16. rajbais says: Jan 8, 2012 11:33 PM

Did they JUST hire him for “Tebow Tips”??

17. tedmurph says: Jan 8, 2012 11:37 PM

One more time Deb, I know you have a lot of time to think about it now that the steelers are eliminated. The Patriots admitted to the NFL that
    they had taped other teams. They claimed they misunderstood the rules. The NFL sanctioned them on the basis that they had done it for 2 yrs. All McDaniels was doing was trying to point out that the London taping was an isolated incident that wasn’t sanctioned by the Broncos. Didn’t say anything about the Pats that wasn’t already discussed by the NFL. Get it now? There was no ‘under the bus’. Do you really think the Pats would take someone back that threw them under the bus? Everyone wants to work for them. Mangini is a guy they would never take back, though he would beg BB for forgiveness. As for Pats fans screeching , you totally made that up. I read and listen to all things Pats. You should work for a tabloid. You are just full of sh!t. There’s your refresher

18. brenenostler says: Jan 8, 2012 11:42 PM

Look, is he a good head coach? No. Is he a good OC? Absolutely. He ran the best offense in the history of the NFL in 2007. Patriots fans should be glad he’s back and everyone else should be scared.

(Now everyone’s gonna try to use St. Louis as an example to prove me wrong.)

19. bcgreg says: Jan 9, 2012 12:03 AM

@ Deb

Nice use of a reference to supposedly make your point, but you are incorrect about the quote. (You may be correct in the fans’ reaction. I didn’t read any of the old ‘replies’ to that story, but personally, I could have cared less about JM at the time. He wielded no power with NE at any time, so nothing was his decision in terms of the Pats situation.)

In the story you reference, PFT points out that the difference between the original Spygate and McDaniels’ Spygate was that the Pats taped in game defensive signals–IN GAME, not BEFORE game (ie practices)–while the McDaniels situation had to do with filming a practice. So, for you to imply that Belichick coached his assistants to film practices is inaccurate, and you have taken McDaniels’ quote out of context to make that point. McDaniels’ quote about it being ‘coached’ was in reference to the IN GAME filming–the “Pats past practices” of filming in game video–as pointed out by PFT. “Pats past practices” doesn’t mean they filmed practices in the past. The quote had nothing to do with filming practices. BIG difference. The difference is you can view film of a practice BEFORE the game is played whereas the Belichick tapes were viewed AFTER games as corroborated by hater star witness Matt Walsh, who said he never gave any tape to anyone until AFTER the games.

All you haters still believe that practices were filmed by the Pats, specifically the Rams SB 36 walkthrough, which has been proven untrue. But, you don’t care. So, keep hatin’.

Is having JM back on the Pats good? Yes, for sure. He knows the system and has a good relationship with Brady. There shouldn’t be any communication adjustments like there would be if they brought a ‘new’ guy in as OC, and this issue he had in Denver is irrelevant in NE because once again, he will wield no power in NE.

I know you’re upset about what happened in Denver today. I know you’ll make excuses that Ben was hurtin’ and Ryan Clark didn’t play and that Hampton and Kiesel got hurt. I know you’re emotional. Don’t be hatin’ because NE is still alive and the Steelers are now done. It’s still no excuse to get your stories wrong. This is not a reply about wether the Pats are tainted or JM is a cheater. It’s about getting the story correct and not making assumptions and implications based on speculations and rumor.

20. all4patriots says: Jan 9, 2012 12:05 AM

gamermwm says:Jan 8, 2012 9:36 PM

“the Patriots having the worst defense in the league…”

No, the Packers have the worst defense in the league, if you are going by yards allowed,

and the Patriots are about average, if you are going by points allowed (which is more important- yards do not go on the scoreboard)

21. packerup says: Jan 9, 2012 1:14 AM

The crazies scenario would be the Pats offense looks even better..super bowl run…….OB realizes he HAS to get out recruiting and leaves….Brady sings Josh praises and Josh ends up Head Coach (outside of Boston) in 2012….rent a OC….for the playoffs….

22. iseek11 says: Jan 9, 2012 1:28 AM

I’m sure McDaniels has plenty of private film on the Broncos to share with his old Boss.

I swear McDaniels was sent to Denver by Belichick specifically to dismantle the only team he and Brady have a losing record against. BB even gave Josh a win in 2009 just to make it believable.

Absolutely diabolical.

23. CKL says: Jan 9, 2012 2:01 AM

Let me say again in this thread that I agree with Deb. Maybe not one other Pats fan will, but I do. I see this as a lesser Mangini scene. Obviously BB doesn’t and we’ll never know why…but with the info I personally have seen, I do see it that way.

I hate that PSU just HAD to have O’Brien this year.

JMD really isn’t going to help much with knowledge of Den anyway. Pats have played them 1 month ago, have seen lots of tape, and though Den has the same OC, their O is not the same.

24. mogogo1 says: Jan 9, 2012 2:05 AM

toad8572 says:

Josh was a really bad coach in Denver; according to the locals, he set the franchise back for years. But, his worst mistake, by far, just killed the Steelers as they advance in the and maybe BB knows a real prodigy when he sees one.
    _____________________

Let’s not get too revisionist with our history. His worst mistake in Denver was going 3-9 the year he got canned. (He was 5-17 following his 6-0 start.) And despite drafting Tebow, he never started him in a game and was firmly behind Orton as his starter. (Tebow only started the last few games after McD had been fired.)

He followed up his debacle in Denver by making an already lousy Rams offense worse. Combine that with the fact the Pats didn’t miss a beat when he left, and you’ve got a “prodigy” that has failed badly everywhere except the Pats who just happen to have a Hall of Fame qb and head coach. Gee, think that might have something to do with their success?

25. tiffpats4eva says: Jan 9, 2012 2:10 AM

Deb,

You are a very smart, well informed commenter, so why do you care about Josh McDaniels’ relationship with the Patriots?

BTW, after the scandal broke, Belichick was asked about his relationship with McDaniels and his response indicated that they were still close even after McDaniels supposedly made the statement.

I don’t if McDaniels made statement and I really don’t care. I am not sure why anyone cares.

26. bassrecord says: Jan 9, 2012 2:46 AM

Whopee! Now that NumbNuts Josh is a Pat, and still under contract to the Rams through 2012, how many picks do the Rams get?

27. cowboychris5xchamps says: Jan 9, 2012 3:02 AM

Hahahaha! This is so hilarious! It’s not like Josh Mc “Genuis” (I spelled it wrong on purpose geniuses) gives the Pats an inside advantage against the Broncos. He’s the dummy that drafted little Timmy Rah Rah remember?! NE beats Denver easily again then get crushed by Baltimore, a team with a defensive bear!!!!

28. the1849ers says: Jan 9, 2012 4:57 AM

How “Krafty” of them. Just the initial brain-dump on Denver will more than cover Josh’s paycheck from the pats.

29. rexryanisablowhard says: Jan 9, 2012 5:28 AM

All this worst defense bs is rather tired. Green Bay actually has the worst defense and went 15-1, New England had 2nd worst and went 13-3. You tell me what is wrong with measuring a defense by yards allowed? NE scores 32 per game and gives up 21 per game, I’ll take those plus 11 pts all day long. Last I checked the teams that scores the most points always wins and the team with the most yards doesn’t always win. The vaunted Steelers were #1 and they gave up 29 pts to a crappy offense. Why? Turnovers. New England is 15th in the league in pts allowed and has a plus 17 turnover ratio, best in AFC by wide margin and 3rd overall behind SF and GB. Denver gave up 48 more pts than NE and was -12, with only PIT being worse in the AFC at -13. Stop regurgitating meaningless stats and headlines and do some actual research.

30. chas88 says: Jan 9, 2012 7:41 AM

Hey, Deb. Why don’t you go back to Steeler boards and keep proclaiming how you don’t go on other boards and bash their fans or teams.

31. ampats says: Jan 9, 2012 7:59 AM

Deb,

How many times are you going to post the same rant ? Do you really know what actually happens behind closed doors in Foxborough between BB & JM ?

This isn’t a bathroom story in Midgeville,GA. You really don’t know all the facts

Now accept the fact your team got smoked by Tim Tebow last night and get over it BB has!

32. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 9, 2012 8:04 AM

Everyone mocked McDaniels and called him a dummy because he drafted Tebow with a first round pick. Now that Tebow is starting, steered his team to the playoffs, and just defeated the Steelers in the playoffs McDaniels looks like he had some idea of what he was doing… yeah, that’s cool I guess.

33. kevinfromphilly says: Jan 9, 2012 8:32 AM

Wait until the league finds out that Belachick videotaped Tebow in the confessional!

34. sj39 says: Jan 9, 2012 8:33 AM

The cheater protégé goes back to be with his cheating master.

35. jnbnet says: Jan 9, 2012 8:41 AM

bhester1906 says:
    Jan 8, 2012 9:23 PM
    =================================

Not only that, but they also didn’t even play this weekend. How can they get away with that?

36. jimyritz says: Jan 9, 2012 9:02 AM

I seem to remember Mcdaniels was pretty good with Brady. Just don’t see any negative in this….

BTW- for “BassRecord”, the Rams don’t get any pics because they let him go…

oh and on the Ravens–maybe go back and see their record on the road…

37. devikesfan says: Jan 9, 2012 10:36 AM

_________________________________

Is there a specific NFL rule that forbids this?
    He was a coordinator that got fired by his last team; not a head coach that’s being paid by his former club to stay off the sidelines for a while.
    After all, players can be cut during the season and sign with another team…why can’t the same apply to members of coaching staffs?

38. homelanddefense says: Jan 9, 2012 10:49 AM

As a Pats fan my lasting impression of McDaniels was that they made absolutely zero adjustments in the 2007 superbowl. Just kept sending out 3 and 4 WR sets and leaving little protection for Brady.

But he did OC the best offense in the history of the NFL and is familiar with the system and players. So it cant be a bad idea to bring him back.

39. Deb says: Jan 9, 2012 12:24 PM

@chas88 …

I’m not bashing the Pats. I’ve posted many times that I don’t think there was anything to Spygate and I believe the Pats earned their championships. That’s why I think McDaniels was a little weasel for dragging it all up again last year.

@ampats …

Honey, that wasn’t a rant. Apparently you’ve never seen a rant. That’s just me marveling that Pat fans would welcome back a guy who–to my way of thinking–threw their team under the bus. It’s an opinion. This is an opinion forum. If you guys could see the forest for the trees, you might be able to figure out that it’s an opinion sympathetic to your team. But first you’d have to pull your heads out of your backsides and activate your brain cells. Why do that when it’s so much easier to riff on me and my team.

@tiffpats4eva …

I just made a one sentence observation about McDaniels on another thread and tedmurph went apesh*t writing a dissertation claiming I’d made the whole thing up–similar to what he’s done here. That’s why I mentioned it again here with the link to the story. Personally, I don’t care beyond my overall interest in all things NFL. I think McDaniels is a good offensive mind, but lacks maturity, which won’t be an issue for him working under Belichick as it was when he was a HC. But I still think he’s something of a weasel. However, if it doesn’t bother BB, it’s not relevant.

@CKL …

You’re too bright for this room ;)

40. stupadassle says: Jan 9, 2012 12:34 PM

Once again, Great. Bringing together two head coaches caught cheating using the same cameraman http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/27/nfl-fines-broncos-mcdaniels-50000-each-for-videotaping-infraction/ . I wonder if they will bring back Steve Scarnecchia so they can try to win their 1st playoff game since 2007? Let the Patty apologist rant begin . . . . .now!

41. tedmurph says: Jan 9, 2012 1:06 PM

No Deb, I didn’t claim you made the whole thing up. You made up the part about Pats fans “squealing about it”. Pats fans didn’t squeal about it because they read McDaniel’s quote in context and comprehended it correctly. There was no ‘throwing under the bus’. He was just trying to make a clear distinction between what the Pats had done(which was common knowledge) vs. what happened in Denver. That’s it. Didn’t blame the Pats or make any excuses. Not a matter of opinion. If you read the comments on the blog you cited, it becomes very clear. Cheer up though, there is one person on the whole blogosphere that agrees with you. So, you have that going for you’ which is nice.

42. Deb says: Jan 9, 2012 1:08 PM

@bcgreg …

I haven’t made any excuses for Pittsburgh’s loss and have congratulated Denver on a brilliant and well-executed game plan. All I’ve done is point out that Josh McDaniels last season was telling everyone that the Pats coached videotaping, which was a weasely thing to do and angered a lot of Pats fans at the time. So I’m surprised they’ve forgotten all about it now. I didn’t say one negative word about your team or anything to warrant the hate you guys have spewed. Someone posted to me on CFT recently that I was a fool for being a good sport with Pats fans because you eat your young and would rip me to shreds with no provocation. Guess he was right.

Thanks for the swell comments about our loss last night. I’d return the favor when the Pats go down–and they will eventually–but I don’t operate that way.

43. CKL says: Jan 9, 2012 1:32 PM

With all the low IQ trolls on here who dump on the Pats all the time, I am ashamed that some of my fellow Pats fans are dumping on a Steelers fan who never dump on the Pats. I’m still with you Deb!

I apologize for some of these comments that are personal in nature from my fellow Pats fans. THEY ARE NOT DESERVED IN ANY WAY. Deb and I don’t always agree about stuff but she doesn’t say things she doesn’t have backup for.

44. chas88 says: Jan 9, 2012 2:25 PM

When I mentioned him throwing them under the bus last year, the Convenient Amnesiacs called me crazy. That selective memory must be nice. How you and the weasel are very happy together :)

——————————————

Please, with the smiley face at the end, what part about the comment wasn’t snide? I wasn’t one of the fans “screeching” in horror over his comments, but I don’t necessarily like his personality much either. It is what it is. However, we can’t change that McDaniels is back with the team, and obviously the organization wasn’t personally affected much by his comments if they re-hired him. May as well welcome him back.

And CKL, I don’t care what team a person follows, and I don’t let their comment history dictate my feelings on one of their posts. I’m not saying she didn’t provide a link to a post where fans were up in arms, because, well, some were. But why bring up something that happened in the past, just like the McDaniels comments were? He’s back on the team now, and I guess that’s all that matters.

45. Deb says: Jan 9, 2012 2:50 PM

@chas88 …

It was snide! It was snide because when I mentioned it yesterday, tedmurph and a couple others went bonkers telling me I was “crazy” and imagined the whole thing and that McDaniels had never said anything to embarrass the Pats. So yeah, me calling those guys Convenient Amnesiacs and saying I hoped (that was supposed to be “hope,” not “how”) they’d be happy with the little weasel was meant to be snide.

You’re new to this conversation. But tedmurph has had a complete nervous breakdown. This time I included the link so he’d know I was referencing McDaniels running in his mouth in Denver last season, which is a completely separate situation to anything involving Mangini. But he’s still ranting like Ernest T. Bass on a tear.

I’ve been all over these threads defending the Pats on Spygate. I’ve called your QB the best in the business and your coach a guru, but McDaniels is something of a weasel. My opinion and I’m entitled to it. :roll:

CKL, do you think testosterone fries the brain? ;)

46. bcgreg says: Jan 9, 2012 3:59 PM

@ Deb

All I told you was to get your story right. I even mentioned that I didn’t read the old ‘replies’ and that you could be right in terms of the reaction. But, that was not my point. My point was that you implied that JM said that BB coached them to film practices. I just pointed out that that’s not what JM or PFT said at all.

Did JM throw BB under the bus by mentioning it last year? I dunno. But it was pretty much public knowledge that BB did this for a while. It’s not unreaonable to think his young assistants (Mangini and JM) would do the same emulating their mentor. After all, BB learned it from previous coaches. Jimmy Johnson learned it from an older scout, etc.

And, if you can’t take a little razzing from a Pats fan, then you gotta get off PFT. I wasn’t vicious toward you. If I was, then I apologize. Just giving you a little nudge in the ribs. I don’t play the venom game either, but a little bee sting doesn’t hurt…unless you’re allergic to bees, then you’re screwed.

47. CKL says: Jan 9, 2012 4:28 PM

chas88 says: Jan 9, 2012 2:25 PM

…. but I don’t necessarily like his personality much either. It is what it is. However, we can’t change that McDaniels is back with the team, and obviously the organization wasn’t personally affected much by his comments if they re-hired him. May as well welcome him back.

____________________________________
    I don’t disagree with this…I pretty much said (on another post maybe) that obviously BB doesn’t care. Maybe it’s because he has more information about that whole deal with McD in St Lou or maybe he just doesn’t care. One thing I do know is that we’ll never know either way. :D

I take 0 offense to Deb’s bringing it up. I think it’s a valid point. It’s only human that once someone is back with your team or joins them for the first time that despite their past transgressions, you try to overlook warts and/or rationalize. I think that’s all she’s really trying to point out.

@ Deb- I think sometimes either gender’s hormones can get the best of us. ;)

48. chas88 says: Jan 9, 2012 5:06 PM

Yes, I understand. However, that’s not even what I was talking about in the first place. Like I said, if you’re only talking about a minority of people, then I completely get where you’re coming from. I don’t care enough to look back in the archives and check off names. Nor do I care if you like or dislike the Patriots or anyone within the organization. That has nothing to do with the message I perceived from your original comments. You made it SEEM like you were encompassing the entire fan base and how they flipflopped, whether or not you actually meant to. A few posters are not a representation of us all, so I didn’t appreciate your comments, especially after reading your claim somewhere that you don’t go on other boards and bash other fans. I also don’t appreciate your constant talking over people, like myself, in your responses as if you’re the only one who has a legitimate take on anything. You know, like with your testosterone remark. I’m a female, thanks.

I’m entitled to that opinion, too. ;)

49. Deb says: Jan 9, 2012 9:45 PM

Oh good grief, censors, what did I say wrong? Did you miss the part about the day-long migraine, being loopy from finally taking a painkiller, and my team playing tonight in the title game? It’s too hard to try and reconstruct that post, but here goes …

chas88 …

Oops! Sorry, girl LOL. Didn’t mean to lump all Pats fans together! Hate it when folks do that with us. No, I don’t go ’round bashing other teams. You should read Steelers threads if you want to see bashing. Mentioning some goofy thing McDaniels said isn’t bashing. Don’t think I’m always right, but can give as good as I get. How do you talk over people in a blog?

bcgreg …

Sorry if I mistook your ribbing for venom. I enjoy good-natured sparring. I may have been wrong in my interpretation of what McDaniels did. It’s all a bit blurry now. ;) But I feel better that a smart Pats fan like CKL agreed with me. She knows her stuff. Josh sure seems kinda weasely to me, although he’s got a lot of offensive smarts. But I’m sure BB can handle him. He’ll be fine with supervision. Now I’m back to root for my BB disciple, Nick Saban.

Roll Tide!!

50. bcgreg says: Jan 9, 2012 11:55 PM

Speaking of weasels! Don’t ask Dolphin fans what they think of Nick Saban. My God! LOL!

51. chas88 says: Jan 10, 2012 12:13 PM

Deb, I’m not sure how many times I have to mention that I didn’t say you bashed the Patriots. I don’t care if you like or dislike them. You bashed the FANS, apparently, by including us all in your statement that we all cried about McDaniels and now welcomed his return. Again, we don’t all feel that way or said those things, so maybe you should think before posting overall statements like that before trying to act like you treat everything fairly on other boards. That’s where I was trying to get at, and I thought that was clear in my posts. If you don’t get it this time, then whatever.

I’m also well aware of Steeler bashing on the boards, thanks. I was born and still live in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. I read those comments from time to time and happen to think a lot of the fans around here and all over deserve that type of treatment with their idiotic statements about the team in the first place.

I’m outta here.