Demaryius Thomas: I’ve got one of the best stiff-arms in the NFL

Wild Card Playoffs - Pittsburgh Steelers v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Ike Taylor found it out the hard way on Sunday: Demaryius Thomas likes the stiff-arm.

Thomas, who caught a Tim Tebow pass on the first play of overtime, stiff-armed Taylor and raced to the end zone for an 80-yard touchdown to lead the Broncos over the Steelers, said after the game that the stiff-arm is a technique he takes pride in.

“I know I’m young,” Thomas tells Peter King in this week’s Monday Morning Quarterback, “but I think I’ve got one of the best stiff-arms in the league.”

The stiff-arm has become something of a lost art in football, but Thomas had a beautiful one on Sunday to spring the game-winning touchdown. Thomas also showed plenty of speed, and it came on a great play call, with a great pass from Tebow.

“My assignment was to get on the corner and beat him inside, cutting across the middle,” Thomas said. “When I saw the safety come up, I knew all I had to do was get a step on the corner and Tim would find me.”

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
63 Responses to “Demaryius Thomas: I’ve got one of the best stiff-arms in the NFL”
  1. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jan 9, 2012 9:11 AM

Ike Taylor picked a bad time to do his best Kirby Wilson impression. Taste it.

2. 2difshoe says: Jan 9, 2012 9:11 AM

I love me…who do you love.

3. test2402 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:13 AM

This guy obviously hasn’t felt Tim Tebow’s stiff arm.

4. humbleminded85 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:16 AM

Ike Taylor would agree. Now all you front runner Steeler fans can go cheer on the Penguins… oh wait you don’t cheer other Pit teams!! Bandwagon Nation is closed for the season!!

5. popdawg99 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:19 AM

And now Demaryius & Co. are headed to the birthplace of humble pie . . . how ironic.

6. jmsincla says: Jan 9, 2012 9:20 AM

Ike Taylor got Marshawn Lynch’d.

7. mvp43 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:22 AM

That’s what she said………

8. karla36 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:23 AM

What a great day!!

9. rdawg911 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:24 AM

A few weeks ago I thought the Denver wide receiving core was garbage…then I remember Eddie Royal in space was pretty good. Then I remembered Eric Decker was a draft steal. And this Demaryus dude is lights frickin out. Brandon Lloyd must be kicking himself.

10. starfan79 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:24 AM

Tebows lost his virginity last night

11. terrellpryorstattooartist says: Jan 9, 2012 9:25 AM

Sorry kid but that honor goes to one of your teammates. As a ravens fan I got to see Willis mcgahee decleat several people while running away from them with his stiffarm. 23 has the most vicious stiff arm in the league hands up and down

12. ravenator says: Jan 9, 2012 9:26 AM

Ike Taylor was abused last night.

13. generictombradyfan says: Jan 9, 2012 9:30 AM

You know who I miss, the guy who used to comment about how the steelers are gonna start their own league. I wonder what hed say now.

14. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jan 9, 2012 9:30 AM

I hate the Steelers as much as anyone, but the comment from jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson is way out of line. Way way way out of line.

15. wherezwaldo says: Jan 9, 2012 9:33 AM

i love lamp.

16. freethrowtommy says: Jan 9, 2012 9:33 AM

Jordy Nelson might have the best for a WR…

17. southpaw2k says: Jan 9, 2012 9:33 AM

Thomas’ stiff-arm was definitely a good one, but one of my personal favs (and my personal bias certainly affects this call) is Willis McGahee against the Cowboys late in 2008. He stiff armed a Cowboy (not sure who it was) on a late TD-run to put the Ravens ahead. It was one of those classic “get the f*** outta my face!” moves, and it was awesome.

18. southpaw2k says: Jan 9, 2012 9:37 AM

generictombradyfan says:
    Jan 9, 2012 9:30 AM

———————————————–

YES! 7thlombardiontheway(or whatever)! I’ve been thinking of that troll and his elitist useless comments for the past few weeks. I really missed his reworked power rankings and “thoughts” on them too. They made for such great fodder to mock.

19. firesnyder says: Jan 9, 2012 9:40 AM

Demaryius has that stiff-arm only because Tebow ordained it.

20. weepingjebus says: Jan 9, 2012 9:41 AM

The best part of the entire play was Polamalu getting confused at the line and then giving up almost immediately. But he was totally flying around out there, or something.

21. edukator4 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:42 AM

i love the nfl rules. so consistent. cant hit to the head, cant grab the facemask, unless of course you have the ball, then you can do whatever you’d like.
    this is not an endorsement for taking away the stiff-arm, just think that inconsistency in the overall rules needs to be addressed.

22. cornersportsnet says: Jan 9, 2012 9:43 AM

Great play great stiff arm ,great comming out party now keep it up, you have loads of talent have to keep it up,and youngan stay humble

23. dolphan23 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:45 AM

OK so here’s what happened. Tebow touched the ball and passed to Thomas. Ever see Michaelangelo’s master piece? That’s what that play was equivalent too. When Tebow touches the ball you might as well consider the ball being touched by Jesus. Its like Angels in the Outfield.

24. ready4doomboom says: Jan 9, 2012 9:46 AM

I am happy for Demaryius. He was picked before Dez Bryant and he has been injured a lot his first two yrs. He ruptured his Achilies in March and is ballin now. Great kid and he never gave up.

Tebow now may see that people are open so ya ” Pull the Trigger ” — John Elway

For me since I am a die hard Denver fan. Last night was my Super Bowl. Anything else passed this win is gravy. From second worse last yr to this. Is incredible.

25. crindal3000 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:51 AM

Tebow gets all the credit and his team did all the work.

26. protegev says: Jan 9, 2012 9:52 AM

@southpaw2k

Im not sure if you’re remembering Tue wrong play, but the stiff ARM McGahee is remembered for is the on Eugene of the raiders in 09.

27. darthhitman77 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:00 AM

WR Stiff Arms? Megatron, ask Chicago lol

28. winnerwinnerchickendinner14 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:01 AM

jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson stole that off of the deadspin last night. Not only is that post in poor taste, it’s plagerized.

29. dan55moore says: Jan 9, 2012 10:06 AM

the Denver receiving core deserves a lot of credit espicially with one of there top guys out not so much tebow he played hood but it wasnt all him as a steelers fan it sucks to go out like that

30. pencilmonkeymagic says: Jan 9, 2012 10:07 AM

@terrellpryorstattooartist that’s a good one. I’d still say Marshawn Lynch decking Tracey Porter in the playoffs was the best though. Lynch pushed *himself* sideways with the effort :)

31. jbl429 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:08 AM

Ahmad Bradshaw might disagree.

32. puhleezho says: Jan 9, 2012 10:13 AM

punchin’ safeties in the throat, DT!!!

33. bawston1 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:14 AM

Troy Polamalu’s face should be on a milk carton.

34. sonnyjz says: Jan 9, 2012 10:17 AM

Excellent stiff arm and a great burst afterwards… The best I’ve seen in recent times has to go to Ladanian Tomlinson. Is his day he had a nasty stiff arm.

35. humbleminded85 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:18 AM

@ Southpaw Willis had the TD run down the middle in that ravens cowboys game, but it was actually La’Ron “bring the pain” McClain that put that nasty stiffy on the Cowboys DB. Your probably thinking of the 73 yarder Willis did on the Raiders a few years back. Eugene Wilson was the victim of that run I believe.

36. noturavragepunk says: Jan 9, 2012 10:19 AM

I am glad to see people haven’t forgotten about McGahee’s vicious stiff arm. The td against the Cowboys was a big play in a close game, but his best one was against the Raiders when the defender went a foot into the air and rhen onto his ass.
    Thomas your stiff arm was good, but Taylor was already behind you. Watch some of Willis’ highlights and you will see what a good solid stiff arm looks like

37. ccous says: Jan 9, 2012 10:23 AM

my vote goes to Jordy

38. humbleminded85 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:32 AM

Correction not Eugene Wilson but Hiram Eugene.

39. duanethomas says: Jan 9, 2012 10:35 AM

Ike Taylor will not disagree.

40. gunshow52 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:40 AM

mcgahees stiff arm on euguene, leron mclains on the cowboys in 2008(i believe) and the 49ers guy way back in the early 2000s,

41. panther17 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:55 AM

Jonathan Stewart has my vote for best in the league.

Steve Smith for best little guy WR who likes to stiff arm.

42. august1969 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:57 AM

Tom Brady has the best stiff arm. Its made of gold and platinum and insured for like 10 million dollars.

43. mwm367 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:27 AM

You are mistaken. Panther’s Steve Smith has the best stiff arm in the nfl. If you don’t believe it, get on the receiving end of it.

44. davidjcu says: Jan 9, 2012 11:33 AM

Not only did Tebow perform another miracle but that play gave him 316 (3:16) yards for the game

45. mitchitized says: Jan 9, 2012 11:36 AM

I can’t speak for other Steeler fans, as I never blabber on about trophies or team success – I actually don’t find trash talking of any use at all actually – but I gotta say a couple things about this game.

For those of you that hate the Steelers, you should take extra glee in that I had to pay $50 for the playoffs internet access package to stay up waaaay past midnight (in Europe) just to watch my team get Tebowed. Enjoy! I just plunked a $50 to watch your team kick mine right out of the playoffs. Boom. Roasted. Can I initiate a chargeback and send the bank fees to Pittsburgh? Hehe!

On the Steelers: The offense was offensive, they looked like they thought that they would win just by wearing a chinstrap and cleats. Forgot to really show up until the game was long gone, it was really a miracle they managed to force overtime. Playcalling was flat, monotonous, predictable and without any confidence or guts. The most exciting playcall of the game was the end-around with Wallace for the TD. My 10-year-old was screaming at the screen most of the game, I think he had a much better plan. IMHO this game was never close, the energy and emotion was simply not there for this squad. The defense appeared to completely forget about the pass, and focused solely on the run; and they took about 1.5 hours too long to realize that it was a mistake, and by overtime they’d long lost any opportunity at adjusting. Disappointed. Point at players and injuries, I would point at coaching. And I LOVE me some Dick LeBeau, so these words are extremely difficult to type.

On the Broncos: Man, I really *hate* reading about Tebow because it rarely is about his skill on the field, but blather about his religious beliefs (I really, really, really do NOT CARE) or politics with Elway and so on. But after watching him play last night (er, this morning) he really brought his A game. “Pull the trigger” indeed, and he brought a double-barrelled 10-gauge to the party. Or was it more like a rocket launcher? Well done, actually amazing. You guys just obliterated the top-ranked pass defense in the league.

To the Broncos defense: HELLO! Where the [CENSORED] did you come from? Great game, great strategy, and plenty of energy. That’s great defense.

Hat tip to the Broncos, would have never given you guys a chance against the Patriots until last night. Now, I’m starting to think that game is anyone’s at this point. Well done.

46. ebeg420 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:44 AM

Ike Taylor & Pacman Jones = TOAST!!

47. ebeg420 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:47 AM

Garrison Hearst had a nice stiff arm too, especially on the Jets in that OT GW run in the season opener one year.

I love when a RB gives a diva CB a nasty stiff arm!!!

48. cjepp says: Jan 9, 2012 11:47 AM

Marshawn owns the rights to the best stiff arm. Beast Mode!

49. sullijo1 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:48 AM

Dear Brandon Lloyd,

How is the couch today?

Love,

All Broncos Fans

50. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jan 9, 2012 11:51 AM

@winnerwinnerchickendinner14

Actually that was my post on Deadspin too.. Thanks for playing though

51. 2difshoe says: Jan 9, 2012 12:03 PM

Best stiff arm ever, Walter Payton !

52. davikes says: Jan 9, 2012 12:14 PM

Tebow averaged 31 yards per completion. I’ve never seen that before, and it might be some kind of record. Aaron Rodgers averaged 13.5 YPC in the regular season. Anyone know?

53. mortymcfearson says: Jan 9, 2012 12:22 PM

Why not just grab the arm?

54. southpaw2k says: Jan 9, 2012 12:36 PM

humbleminded85 says:
    Jan 9, 2012 10:18 AM

————————————————-

Oops…you are absolutely right! I knew that both McGahee and McClain had big runs against the Cowboys, but I thought McGahee had the big stiff arm play in that game. It was definitely the move against the Raiders I was thinking of.

55. westclaims says: Jan 9, 2012 12:37 PM

Stiff arm…Beanie Wells…good one

56. winskins says: Jan 9, 2012 12:37 PM

How do you like Josh McDaniels now? Maybe not such a moron after all…

57. ravensfan996 says: Jan 9, 2012 12:41 PM

I’ve always loved D.Thomas (Bay Bay) and he would’ve been a Raven last yr had McDaniels not traded up to grab him ahead of us. Give him time, he’ll be one of the best in the L.

58. ravensfan996 says: Jan 9, 2012 12:47 PM

@ HUMBLEMINDED85; I think he was referring to the run against the Raiders where he bitchslapped Epherim on a looooooong TD run. Look it up on the youtube.

59. davikes says: Jan 9, 2012 1:03 PM

Just realized that Tebow averaged 31.6 YPC, and of course 316 for the game. I’m not religious, but that’s really weird.

60. nofunleague says: Jan 9, 2012 1:54 PM

And through all of this the most imporatnt thing is that the Steelers playing with the zebras on their side all game still lost. Was nice to also see shampoo boy get burnt a few times. Getting older may have to cut that disgusting mop and lose some weight so he can run. Long hair was cool in the 60’s. Grow up Lady Shampoo. Props to Rothlesberger for even trying but Charlie Batch should have played but Pittsburgh has to satisfy all of those egos. Ankle surgery in the off season and Roth is done. Bye bye Pittsburgh Squealers

61. 303bengalguy says: Jan 9, 2012 2:55 PM

It’s a good thing you said “one of the best”, and not THEE best.

Sincerely,
    Beast mode

62. winnerwinnerchickendinner14 says: Jan 9, 2012 4:31 PM

jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says:
    Jan 9, 2012 11:51 AM
    @winnerwinnerchickendinner14

Actually that was my post on Deadspin too.. Thanks for playing though

——

I doubt it buddy. I’ve seen some of your comments here and you aren’t deadspin commenter material.

But, yeah, your welcome.

63. packerbadger says: Jan 9, 2012 5:35 PM

He won’t have to worry about doing that stiff arm thing against the Pats.