Jahvid Best: I’ll be back next season

Lions running back Jahvid Best celebrates 88 yard touchdown run against Chicago Bears in third quarter of NFL football game in Detroit Reuters

Jahvid Best missed the final 10 games of the regular season after suffering a concussion, but still led the team with 390 rushing yards.

That tells you Detroit was never able to fully replace his presence in the lineup, something that Best says won’t be a problem next year. Best told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press that he’s no longer bothered by concussion symptoms and that he will “definitely” be back on the field next season. With Mikel Leshoure, who missed his entire rookie season with an Achilles injury, the Lions should be better on the ground next year.

Recovering from this concussion is only part of the problem for Best. He has a history of concussions dating back to his college days and struggled with other injuries as a rookie. For his part, Best says he isn’t worried about any more concussion issues in the future.

“Other people probably are, but I’m not,” Best said.

With Best and Leshoure coming off injuries, the Lions will probably look to shore up the running back position before next season. Kevin Smith and Maurice Morris are both free agents who could return or the team could look elsewhere to make sure that their offense isn’t hindered by losses in the backfield next season.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Injuries, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Jahvid Best: I’ll be back next season”
  1. explosionsauce says: Jan 9, 2012 4:13 PM

Kevin Smith deserves another shot

2. sparty0n says: Jan 9, 2012 4:14 PM

I love what Jahvid could do for the Lions. But I’m not so sure this is the best thing (no pun intended) for him long term. I hate to see him do this for the sake of money, and then forget his name and not be able to even tie his own shoes by the time he’s 50.

3. itsmammoth says: Jan 9, 2012 4:15 PM

This coming from someone who doesn’t know what a full season feels like.

4. pacificnw7722 says: Jan 9, 2012 4:16 PM

Best says he isn’t worried about any more concussion issues in the future.

“Other people probably are, but I’m not,” Best said.

A shredded noodle is not a laughing matter.

I would look for his replacement in this year’s draft…

5. ajknox88 says: Jan 9, 2012 4:21 PM

At the end of the year you could tell that Stafford has what it takes to carry the offense. I’m not too concerned about an improvement in the running game.

My only concern is getting more pressure up front and getting better in the secondary.

6. primetime0552 says: Jan 9, 2012 4:23 PM

Let’s hope the Lions don’t try to use him as an every down back again next year. He is perfect in a role as Darren Sproles has for the Saints. Hopefully LeShoure is healthy and can be the every down back the Lions hoped he would be.

7. FinFan68 says: Jan 9, 2012 4:26 PM

It took well over 2 months to get over a concussion for a guy with a history of them. The satisfaction of playing in the NFL is meaningless if you can’t remember it. This is one guy that ought to reconsider returning. He may be all right but then again his next hit could ruin his quality of life overall.

8. beastofeden says: Jan 9, 2012 4:28 PM

Yeah right, Jahvid. You’re done! Good thing you went to the BEST PUBLIC UNIVERSITY IN THE NATION. Put your education to use.

Ever since the whole country saw you shivering and shaking in the end zone of that OSU game you became the poster boy for head injuries.

9. beastofeden says: Jan 9, 2012 4:29 PM

Lions fans: I like your team but secondary is TRASH!

Erin Berry and Chris Houston are not NFL material

10. noeffinway says: Jan 9, 2012 4:32 PM

And there’s no guarantee that Leshoure will be back. No RB (or WR, I think) has ever returned to an active roster after sustaining the same type of injury as Leshoure.

Godspeed fella’s!

11. bspurloc says: Jan 9, 2012 4:38 PM

best for him to be a Walmart Greeter cuz his brain at this point is shot

12. themanchine says: Jan 9, 2012 4:47 PM

Michael Bush

13. fittytuckin says: Jan 9, 2012 4:59 PM

Not an everydown back.

14. chocolatebaconbutter says: Jan 9, 2012 5:02 PM

This kid could really be a beast. I’m rooting for him. Good luck Jahvid.

15. KIR says: Jan 9, 2012 5:11 PM

I thought all backs were easy to replace? Take D. Sproles off the Saints and on the Lions might have bee a different game. The lions were no threat to rush against the Saints. Look at the Chargers does anyone think they would have made the playoffs without Sproles?

A GREAT back is as or more valuable than almost any other INDIVIDUAL position on a team including OL, TE, WR, DL, Safety, CB & LB. The only INDIVIDUAL position without question harder to replace than a GREAT back is the QB position. (Please don’t bring up the Offensive Line) I know 5 OL’men together are more valuable than 1RB.

16. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 9, 2012 5:12 PM

Time for the Kelso helmet. Don’t knock it, it works!

17. 3ghostninja says: Jan 9, 2012 5:13 PM

Not sure how he can say it won’t be a problem and that he’s not worried.

If Justin Morneau and Sidney Crosby offer any more information on this, it’s that it might only take a teammate slapping his helmet to set off the symptoms again.

In Morneu’s case, he dove for a ground ball. I’m not 100% sure what happened with Crosby, but I don’t think it was an unusually big hit.

18. b20sanders says: Jan 9, 2012 5:23 PM

Noeffinway,

Demaryius Thomas, WR for the Broncos, suffered that injury last year, he came back this year, and just had 4 rec. for 204 yards and a TD for the Broncos yesterday.

19. gosuhgo says: Jan 9, 2012 5:57 PM

Throw in Kevin Smith and we’ve got a regular three headed monster and running back. Now if only we had a center who could open holes.

20. lks311 says: Jan 9, 2012 5:58 PM

I’m hoping Jahvid comes back, but whether he does or not, the Lions need to add a Safety/CB, one additional OLB and Road Grader OG to make the next step.

Good luck Jahvid and good luck next year to this feisty Detroit squad.

21. noeffinway says: Jan 9, 2012 6:11 PM

b20sanders says: Jan 9, 2012 5:23 PM
    Noeffinway,
    ——————-

You know, I thought I heard that today on the Sirius Blitz today when they talked with Thomas. That makes me a little more optimistic. Thanks for the correction and the info!

22. yevrag3535 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:47 PM

Don’t bother punk….

23. waltdawg says: Jan 9, 2012 10:11 PM

And so…Aaron Berry will be flipping waffles and picking on poor people. So what Jahvid?

24. suhisabeast90 says: Jan 9, 2012 10:32 PM

I would love to see Best in the Sproles-Reggie Bush type of role. I think it would save have from some hits and really cater to his strengths. I hope he is well and makes a decision that makes sense for his future.

25. dubblelznhell says: Jan 9, 2012 10:41 PM

Nah, Jahvid’s head is too fragile. Concussions since college? Better hang it up before someone else decides for you.

26. detroitrollin22 says: Jan 10, 2012 12:06 AM

His first two years have started off just the same as Stafford’s first two. Hopefully, Jahvid can stay healthy all season and be a weapon in our offense.

With LeShoure coming back next season, the Lions should use Best like New Orleans uses Darren Sproles (minus special teams).

27. jimmylions says: Jan 10, 2012 12:29 AM

Kevin Smith deserves a contract – he earned it. But sometimes deserves has got nothing to do with it. If LeShore is back at 100%, I agree with everyone who has said we should use Best as speed back.

I like the idea of LeShore being back there most of the time, with Best and Smith rotating in and out. If they run a wishbone with all 3, I have to drink heavily.

28. klunge says: Jan 10, 2012 12:33 AM

yevrag3535 says:Jan 9, 2012 9:47 PM

Don’t bother punk….
    ——————————————————

Jahvid could suffer 3 dozen more concussions and still not be nearly as brain dead as you. Punk.

29. fivestarwrestling says: Jan 10, 2012 12:32 PM

It’s going to be interesting what the Lions do this offseason, but with getting two RBs back, and hopefully a healthy Kevin Smith, the Lions are going to have options at RB already. Their O-Line is underappreciated, and I think that group can get by for one more year.

They need to go all-in on fixing their defense. They can keep the offense as is. Not sure if they can afford both Tulloch and Avril, but they need to keep at least one of the two, and get another corner. Houston and Delmas are solid back there, but they need help.