Playoff wins are worth $250,000 to Tim Tebow

Kansas City Chiefs v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Tim Tebow has a clause in his contract with the Broncos which just a few months ago would have seemed impossible for him to reach, but which now is making him some serious cash.

The clause, as reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, says that he gets a $250,000 bonus for each playoff win he leads the Broncos to, provided he took 70 percent of the team’s snaps during the regular season.

Considering that Tebow started the season as a backup on a team that lost four of its first five games, it looked pretty unlikely that Tebow would take 70 percent of the team’s offensive snaps or that the Broncos would win any playoff games. Both? That sounded crazy.

But by the end of the year, Tebow had played in 73 percent of the offensive snaps, and on Sunday the Broncos won their first playoff game. So Tebow gets $250,000.

And if the Tebow-led Broncos win three more games, culminating with the Super Bowl, that bonus will be an even $1 million.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Playoff wins are worth $250,000 to Tim Tebow”
  1. austrianpanther says: Jan 9, 2012 10:56 AM

You can buy a lot of Bibles with $ 250,000.00!!

2. ampats says: Jan 9, 2012 10:59 AM

Congratulations to Tim Tebow. On his trip back to Denver Saturday night TT can think about how he is going to spend his $250000 since his season will have ended earlier that evening in Foxborough.

3. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jan 9, 2012 11:00 AM

and IF they win the super bowl $1m would be a steal.

4. zurnvs says: Jan 9, 2012 11:02 AM

As Randy Moss said “straight cash homie”

5. unbiased8383 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:02 AM

Good for him. He deserves it after yesterday.

6. sixaspadz says: Jan 9, 2012 11:03 AM

Did you see this guy actually threw for 316 yards and 31.6 yards per catch!?!?!? SERIOUSLY 3:16?!?!?!
    Denver Tebow’s 2012 Super Bowl Champs?

7. thatobnoxiousguy says: Jan 9, 2012 11:03 AM

Between those playoff bonuses and the $160 he charges children for his autograph, and the “donations” from his flock, then Timmy Tebow can retire in 2 years.

This weekend Mr. Tebow pulled the trigger, thus silencing and crushing the 2nd most obnoxious fanbase in the league. Next weeken Mr. Tebow will pull the trigger again leaving a whole Chowder region stunned, devastated and broken. He will have yanked out the hearts and sewed shut the lips of the leagues most obnoxious fanbase,

Boy, wont that be wonderful??? Hearing the sweet sounds of *chirp *chirp *chirp for the next 6 months??????

8. bigtganks says: Jan 9, 2012 11:03 AM

That’s why he was Tebowing at mid-field…

9. 1buckeye76 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:03 AM

can’t dislike the guy. good for him.

10. thetooloftools says: Jan 9, 2012 11:04 AM

I’m beginning to think that a higher power is watching over Tim. NOBODY gets as blessed as he has by accident.
    Hey Pittsburgh… how’d that taste !

11. austrianpanther says: Jan 9, 2012 11:06 AM

Tebow will win against those fake, phoney, frauds!! It has been written so shall it be done!

12. maddenisfordorks says: Jan 9, 2012 11:08 AM

He can now write another fiction book.

13. roamingabriel says: Jan 9, 2012 11:09 AM

John Fox > Bill Bellycheek

14. savagenation2011 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:09 AM

And hew wont spend it on bling or “make it rain” in a strip club. He’ll probably use it to build another childrens hospital.

Tebow 316 yards

John 3:16

15. fwippel says: Jan 9, 2012 11:09 AM

Some worthwhile charity is likely to be seeing that money soon, after Uncle Sam gets his cut.

16. test2402 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:10 AM

He should get more than that. He is Tim Tebow, ya know.

17. b00rad says: Jan 9, 2012 11:10 AM

If Tebow wins the Super Bowl, I’m convinced the end is near.

18. tatatoothy says: Jan 9, 2012 11:11 AM

In related news, Tim Tebow has just made a $250,000 donation to charity. How do you people not like this guy?

19. frodekippe says: Jan 9, 2012 11:20 AM

Christ that’s a lot of money! God knows how he’ll spend it all.

20. bullcharger says: Jan 9, 2012 11:28 AM

Forget 10 for 21. If you told me Tebow would throw for 316 yards I would have said it was impossible. He played a great game on a big stage against a depleted but still very talented team. Hats off to him. The Denver defense played equally well. Holding the Steelers on their last drive was amazing.

21. techstar25 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:29 AM

And to think, this year all I got for a bonus was a membership in the Jelly of the Month Club.

22. goawayeverybody says: Jan 9, 2012 11:32 AM

You have to love it when the Steelers fans have the cajones to show up on these Broncos/Steelers threads and complain about the officiating. What, didn’t you see the 2 or more BLATANT face masks committed by the Steelers that went unflagged by the officials who were standing right there? How about the backwards pass that was dropped that should have been a fumble but the ref blew the play dead before Denver was allowed to recover it?

Yeah. Totally biased in favor of Denver. Right.

23. sullijo1 says: Jan 9, 2012 11:39 AM

Man, all the talking heads said this guy can’t throw the ball. I think he throws it just fine – what if he gets better next year?

24. gamermwm says: Jan 9, 2012 11:45 AM

I know that people who give like this guy does, will be blessed many times over

You can have the greatest QB of all time, who helped out his community very little, raked in all the accolades: Superbowls, MVP’s

And then you can have a QB who at the end of his career maybe didn’t accomplish as much, but gave much more – and I assure you he will feel more fulfilled than the first guy at the end of his life

25. bensstinkyfingers says: Jan 9, 2012 11:48 AM

He earned every penny yesterday!! I hope he earns that 1 million, what a great story. I am starting to believe Tebow may be a messenger of the upcoming apocalypse of 2012. Hope not!!!

26. i3addog says: Jan 9, 2012 12:05 PM

People are giddy over Tim Tebow getting a 250k bonus for playing a game but have nothing but contempt for a teacher making 60k.

27. brownsclown says: Jan 9, 2012 12:10 PM

Great for him! He earned his $250,000.

I wonder how much Braylon Edwards got when the 49 er’s made the playoffs!

28. chocolatebaconbutter says: Jan 9, 2012 12:15 PM

He should hook up with Chris Johnson so they can get him some gold teeth. Tebow with gold teeth would be the best.

29. havok82 says: Jan 9, 2012 12:21 PM

@thatobnoxiousguy:

The most obnoxious fan bases are:

Jets
    Steelers
    Dolphins
    Cowboys
    Eagles
    Patriots
    Raiders

(that’s how I’d put them in order, anyway)

FWIW, I am a Pats fan and have been for 30+ years (I’ve gone to games while they went 1-15). Once success came, there have been a LOT of annoying bandwagon fans. As a season ticket holder, I’ve seen a lot of other fan bases and even traveled to some other stadiums.

Great win by Tebow, though. The only thing that would please me more is a Pats SB win.

30. stellarperformance says: Jan 9, 2012 12:30 PM

He can save the team some serious cash if they win the SuperBowl….by turning water into champagne!

31. hotep999 says: Jan 9, 2012 12:30 PM

Wonder how much “best stiff arm in NFL” got?

32. das14 says: Jan 9, 2012 12:45 PM

Tebow. Amazing. He defines why I love sports.

33. descendency says: Jan 9, 2012 12:49 PM

Tim is a nice guy, but i really hope he invests a little of that money in the future. It’s really hard to do a lot of good when you have to work a regular job for a living. Those 50 hour work weeks are rough.

34. rushmatic says: Jan 9, 2012 12:52 PM

3:16!!!1111!!!1!

HAS TO BE A SIGN.

Or, he just threw for 316 yards, you brainwashed buffoons.

35. nogoodell says: Jan 9, 2012 12:56 PM

That’s a weekly Tithe

36. laserw says: Jan 9, 2012 1:11 PM

Congratulations, Tim Tebow!

The NFL is filled with pathetic players like Big Ben from Pittsburgh who abuses women, Michael Vick, who killed dogs for profit, and players from Pittsburgh who whine because they are caught playing dirty. All you do is to take average talent and win with it while thanking your Lord for the chance to play.

I am looking forward to the rematch with the New England cheaters. The Broncos head coach will have learned from the regular season defeat and the way to neutralize Tomasina Brady is to hit her hard and often. She doesn’t like to break a nail, you know.

If Tim Tebow can throw against the “vaunted” Pittsburgh defense that shampoos well and is so proud of itself, I can’t wait to see what happens against the Patriot defense that has as much defensive power as the Island of Grenada. Who knew that Tim Tebow could throw a pass over 20 yards?

I hope the New England Cheaters take the Broncos lightly. Teams that worry about whether Tim Tebow gets their players’ names correct end up watching the rest of the playoffs instead of playing in them.

37. kurb21 says: Jan 9, 2012 1:33 PM

Tebow 3: 16

It is simple. His “stone cold” new nick-name.

It is a love/hate relationship at this point, but I can no longer just write him off.

38. wetpaperbag3 says: Jan 9, 2012 1:33 PM

How is THIS a story? EVERY player in the NFL gets a playoff bonus check for every win.

39. wetpaperbag3 says: Jan 9, 2012 1:40 PM

havok82 says: Jan 9, 2012 12:21 PM

The most obnoxious fan bases are:

Jets
    Steelers
    Dolphins
    Cowboys
    Eagles
    Patriots
    Raiders

(that’s how I’d put them in order, anyway)
    =================================

You’d have to take the Raiders and Dolphins off that list. The Raiders and Dolphins are usually perennial underdogs and “obnoxious” refers to one who thumbs there noses at others while exhibiting annoying behavior. These two team fanbases don’t thumb their noses at anyone. Fight maybe? LOL

But I have to agree 100% on the others on your list.

40. Phintastic says: Jan 9, 2012 1:59 PM

wetpaperbag3 says:Jan 9, 2012 1:33 PM

Obvioulsy the story is referring to a provision in his contract, not the usual playoff bonus. One that, like the story reads, no one EVER thought would be possible 8 weeks ago. The man started out training camp as the #3 QB. What are the chances he would end up playing 70% of the snaps, much less winning a playoff game?!?!

I’d take him on my Dolphins team right now….

41. sevensixtwonato says: Jan 9, 2012 2:01 PM

techstar25 says:
    Jan 9, 2012 11:29 AM

————————————————–

But thats the gift that keeps on giving….all year long…

42. theblowtorchreview says: Jan 9, 2012 2:03 PM

Steelers fans are the worst hands down……no one even close!

43. justaintrightisit says: Jan 9, 2012 2:04 PM

It’s a story because it is Tim Tebow and the Steelers didn’t stop this nonsense by winning

44. andyreidisfat says: Jan 9, 2012 2:09 PM

I am so conflicted on this whole tebow deal. On one hand he is a solid citizen who works hards really cares about the fans. I love the fact he is not the prototype and has made atleast one ( you could argue the eagles and panthers also run a form of a spread option, but not like the broncos do) team try something different. And nothing is better than watching. Moron after moron on sports talk radio and ESPn saying how much the kid can’t do this or can’t do that. That’s what I love about tebow. What I hate about him was on display once again this mourning, the first thing I see on a straight news channel ( well ” straight news” being used very loosely cuz it was fox news) that “tebow” ( not the broncos mind you, in fact the team name wasn’t mentioned even once in the segment) won because its gods way of proving he’s real. And the proof this was the fact tebow threw for 316 yards, which is apparently tebows favorite verse ( I think the bible stole it from stone cold ).

Like I said I really do like tebow. And to be honest the praying thing doesn’t bother me on the field, the thanking “first and foremost my god and savior” crap is getting old and hopefully Tim will get that some day much as players like Dawkins and Kurt Warner both also ultra religious nuts, yet much more humble about it.

My biggest problem in this whole deal is the media. Especially quacks and born again hack reporters going on tv claiming this proof of god. And sports reports that do t mention the wr who just kicked the steelers heads in with 200 yards. The shame of this all and why it would never work Lon term is that players are going to eventually get tired of getting zero credit or being told they are winning because “god” is on tebows team instead of hearing about how Thomas can’t be covered right now , or how the rookie Line backer is unblock able .

Truth is folks the broncos are winning because 53 players plus practice squad guys, trainers, scouts, and coaches are working their butts off to do so. They are not winning because some born again says he loves god in every single interview he ever does ( he kinda sounds a bit stepford about to if you listen to the dude)

Anywho, do your job, atleast try and mention more than just tebow once I. Awhile

45. whodeydaytonchapter says: Jan 9, 2012 2:10 PM

you know he is going to do something good with that money. I don’t know if I believe in God, but I do believe Tebow is a good human. Exact opposite of Big Ben Rape-your-sister.

46. ern215 says: Jan 9, 2012 2:37 PM

lets not forget that this team backed its way into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak

47. nyjalleffingday says: Jan 9, 2012 3:13 PM

@brownsclown

You gotta let it go, man. Braylon is never going to read what you write.

48. ermur22 says: Jan 9, 2012 4:04 PM

Ok I admit it, I didn’t think he had what it takes to be a starting QB but I should eat my words….I don’t care how many Steelers were injured or out…..what he did in that game shows he COULD be a really good QB in the NFL and, as a New Yorker I would gladly take him straight up for Sanchez any day…

49. okiny says: Jan 10, 2012 8:04 AM

Most players (especially expected starting QBs) get these provisions in their contracts. I have to think, though, that the brass never figured he would cash in on it. They didn’t start off great, and he wasn’t even a starter in the beginning of the year. I’m not a Tebow fan by any means, but GOOD FOR HIM!