Report: Packers told body of Michael Philbin has been identified

Green Bay Packers 2010 Headshots Getty Images

There’s been an update from the story we’ve been following out of Green Bay all day and, unfortunately, it is a sad one.

Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin reported a short time ago that the Packers players have been told that the body of Michael Philbin, son of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, has been identified. The younger Philbin had been reported missing after last being heard from at 2 a.m. on Sunday and authorities were searching around Oshkosh in hopes of finding him. A body was recovered earlier Monday in Oshkosh.

Our thoughts go out to the Philbin family and the larger Packer family at this time.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Report: Packers told body of Michael Philbin has been identified”
  1. medtxpack says: Jan 9, 2012 5:55 PM

God rest his soul.

2. tiffpats4eva says: Jan 9, 2012 5:55 PM

Jesus! My thoughts and prayers go out to the Philbin family and the Green Bay Packer Org.

3. joetoronto says: Jan 9, 2012 5:55 PM

Wow, that’s a nightmare I wouldn’t wish on anybody.

All the best to the family going forward.

4. cowboylover says: Jan 9, 2012 5:55 PM

Awww. What a sad, sad day. My prayers for the Philbin family.

5. gallogj says: Jan 9, 2012 5:56 PM

Condolesence

6. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jan 9, 2012 5:58 PM

as a fellow parent of 3 children, whose eldest 16 year old daughter just lost her best friend, my thoughts and prayers go out to the Philbin family.
    this is much, much bigger than football folks.

7. jimmysee says: Jan 9, 2012 5:58 PM

Condolences to the Philbin family. What horrible news.

8. mondzy805 says: Jan 9, 2012 5:59 PM

As a 49ers fan, my best wishes goes towards the Packers family during this difficult time.

9. upperdecker19 says: Jan 9, 2012 5:59 PM

As a father, I honestly can’t imagine the pain that Coach Philbin and his family are going through. My family’s thoughts are with you.

P.S. And stick a fork in the “whitty comments” for a day gang. Not appropriate at all.

10. packernation90 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:01 PM

terrible, terrible, news. my prayers to the Philbin family. I shudder to imagine a tradegy like this in my own family. So sorry for your loss.

11. viewsfromseat13 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:02 PM

My thoughts and prayers to Joe Philbin and his family right now… There are more important things than sports right now…

12. icewalker946 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:03 PM

Who really cares about football now….time will heal all, however. Same trash talking will go on in due time.

Now just talk to your kids (or your parents). Never know when tomorrow never comes.

13. ownbay says: Jan 9, 2012 6:03 PM

Very sad, RIP

14. deadeye says: Jan 9, 2012 6:03 PM

Horrible tragedy, RIP Michael Philbin.

15. geniusfan says: Jan 9, 2012 6:03 PM

This is really sad I feel so bad for coach Philbin and the entire Packers family.

My thoughts are with the Philbin family.

On a side note who is giving these comments a thumbs down? Some people really are messed up…….

16. jessethegreat says: Jan 9, 2012 6:03 PM

Very difficult time for the Philbin family… one I would never wish on any parent. Condolences to the entire family.

For my Packers…. take this as a sad reminder to cherish the ones you hold dear every day. Come to play on Sunday….. and leave it all on the field!

17. beastson says: Jan 9, 2012 6:03 PM

Just very sad sad news. My heart as a parent and a fellow human being goes out to the family.

18. b1rdbath says: Jan 9, 2012 6:04 PM

Wow! Didn’t think much of a 21 year old kid gone missing for 24 hours. Seemed like a pretty normal occurance.

Horrible news. Hope the family pulls through. Best wishes.

19. joshsports6000 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:04 PM

My condolences to him, his family, and the entire Packers organization.

20. gottapoop says: Jan 9, 2012 6:04 PM

This has to be the worst thing to ever endure. My thoughts go out to the family. Anyone who leaves a disrespectful comment on this page really needs to get evaluated. RIP

21. monsterscream says: Jan 9, 2012 6:04 PM

This is horrible. I remember the same thing happened to former Packer’s coach Ray Sherman when he lost his son. May he R.I.P.

22. dabengals13 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:05 PM

Who are all of the idiots who are giving thumbs down to people, who are genuinely showing support for someone who has just lost a child in a tragic death such as this? I just hope that you who are so heartless don’t have children of your own.

Godspeed

23. hscorpio says: Jan 9, 2012 6:06 PM

Terrible news. My prayers go out to the Philben family.

24. howiehandles says: Jan 9, 2012 6:07 PM

As a parent, this is my worst fear.

25. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 9, 2012 6:07 PM

Man, that sucks.

Not that there is ever a good time for news like that, and I hate how people co-mingle the importance of football into a person’s personal life, but it’s gotta be extra stressful with such a big weekend coming up for the guy professionally.

Good luck to everyone affected.

26. deadmanwalking47 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:07 PM

what an awful thing to happen anytime!

27. pewitttyler says: Jan 9, 2012 6:07 PM

We will pray for the Philbin family

28. textexington says: Jan 9, 2012 6:08 PM

Such sad sad news. RIP Michael Philbin.

29. johnnyb216 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:08 PM

Terrible. Worst thing that can possibly happen to a parent. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Philbin family. Also, what kind of scumbag thumbs down a post offering prayers to a family that just lost a child? Terrible human beings.

30. packattack1967 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:09 PM

Tragic.

31. eknirb says: Jan 9, 2012 6:09 PM

Such a terrible thing. Condolences to the family and the team.

32. hartleechung says: Jan 9, 2012 6:09 PM

Man…gotta feel for the guy. Even if he wins it all it’s gonna be bittersweet. Condolences to the family.

33. ilovefoolsball says: Jan 9, 2012 6:10 PM

Sorry to hear that for his family.
    May they find peace and properly grieve his passing.
    Football is just a game.

34. ibleedgreen45 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:10 PM

RIP….to young to be gone…and if its foul play, god have mercy…

I BLEED GREEN

35. howiefeltersnatch says: Jan 9, 2012 6:10 PM

This is horrible news, thoughts and prayers to the Philbin family.

This has been a bad few days for assistant coaches…

36. jasonboche says: Jan 9, 2012 6:10 PM

I’m so sorry. This is a tragedy. Rest In Peace and may God’s strength be with the family.

37. jg725 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:11 PM

Prayers for the Philbin family – what a shame

38. christinamer says: Jan 9, 2012 6:11 PM

My biggest pet peeve is when people say “as a fan of (insert team name here), you have my condolences.” Like they deserve some big freaking prize for being “good” enough to offer condolences to another team.

How about, as a fellow human being who can sympathize with such an unfair and horrendous situation, you have my condolences.

Jeez.

39. Wisconsin77 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:11 PM

This isn’t the same as losing a father, this is absolutely devastating. I wouldn’t expect him to coach this weekend (or maybe the rest of the season).

40. east96st says: Jan 9, 2012 6:11 PM

As a Giants fan, my deepest condolences to the Philbin family and all their friends and loved ones. Having lost a child in our family, I know there’s no greater pain a parent can experience. The game on Sunday just became irrelevant.

41. flavordave says: Jan 9, 2012 6:13 PM

Losing a 21 year old son is horrible. Im sorry to hear of this story and Ill hug my son a little more. My condolences.

42. glac1 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:15 PM

What a shame. My thoughts are with him, his family and the Packer organization. It puts a chilling, somber tone on what should be an exciting time of the year.

43. dyna5ty says: Jan 9, 2012 6:21 PM

From another 9er fan. My thoughts an prayers go out to his family. Sad sad story. My condolences.

44. giorgiom3 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:23 PM

Feel bad for the family but let us not forget that the kid was convicted for sexually assaulting two young girls….If he did one of those acts to your young daughter I don’t think you’d making it into a sob story….Just saying.

45. deadmanwalking47 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:23 PM

enought to make any parent pray like hell they never have to face something like this!

46. mikey77750 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:27 PM

My thoughts and prayers to the entire Philbin family. Aaron and Mike can handle things with the football game. Joe needs to be with his family at this time, and forget about football. You know this game will be dedicated to Joe and the entire family.

47. threedeep1998 says: Jan 9, 2012 6:34 PM

Vikes fan here. No matter the rivalry of whatever sport it is…this is reality we’re talking about here. Truly awful news and feel for the family.

48. manuich1 says: Jan 9, 2012 7:09 PM

Very sad to hear. They need to get to the bottom of this quick so there can be closure for the family. I pray that kid knew Jesus Christ so he can truly rest in peace.

49. cags777 says: Jan 9, 2012 7:15 PM

Very sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers go out to the Philbin family.

50. ski2moro says: Jan 9, 2012 7:16 PM

My sincere condolences to the family.

This reminds me of an incident in the Albany, NY area in 2007. Josh Szostak, age 21, was bar hopping with friends and became separated from them. His body later turned up in the Hudson River. So sad.

51. claymatthewsisonsteroids says: Jan 9, 2012 7:32 PM

Condolences to the Philbin family.

52. otis52gsh says: Jan 9, 2012 7:42 PM

This is every parents worst nightmare. God bless going forward Joe and family.

53. descendency says: Jan 9, 2012 7:50 PM

My prayers are with his family. It’s horrible when you have to bury a child. Playoffs or not. There is no good time for that.

54. stampinamber1959 says: Jan 9, 2012 7:54 PM

Almost 4 years ago, I lost my 21 year old son to drowning. There is no greater agony than the loss of your child.
    My thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to Joe Philbin, his family, and the entire Packers organization.
    God Bless you all.

55. str3tched says: Jan 9, 2012 8:50 PM

In 2009, a Brown County judge sentenced Michael Philbin to six months in jail after he was convicted of sexually assaulting two teen girls and two counts of battery.

56. elijah23 says: Jan 9, 2012 8:53 PM

I’m sure I speak for all Lions fans, this is truly a terribly sad turn of events for the Philbin and Packer families. My heart goes out to them.

I give my condolences!

57. nesuperfan says: Jan 9, 2012 9:18 PM

I feel so sorry for his family, or any family, that loses a child before their time.

Just Saturday, a little 11-year-old girl committed suicide by shooting herself only 1 mile from my house. The reports are that she was bullied. As a father to a young daughter, I have been heartbroken over that little girl’s death since it was reported.

58. ravensfreak00 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:19 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

59. mattolikesthevikes says: Jan 9, 2012 9:20 PM

What is the reasoning behind the dislikes on comments offering condolences. Yes this is a football page but why dislike something like that. Who cares if you’re a lions, bears, or vikings fan, this guy just lost his son. To bad some can’t show a little class when it comes to serious things like this.

60. banderson005 says: Jan 9, 2012 9:53 PM

No greater tragedy in the world than losing a child! It stands to remind us that nothing is more important than to hug our kids.

As for those of you have decided to talk smack, shame on you! I can only hope that you NEVER experience the pain the Philbin family is going through today.

Your family is in our prayer Joe

61. azcardsforever says: Jan 10, 2012 12:31 AM

As a wise coach once said, nothing good ever happens at 2 am.

62. woodruff2250 says: Jan 10, 2012 1:24 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I’m sorry for the loss of your son.

63. mpprice says: Jan 10, 2012 1:45 AM

giorgiom and str3tched I hope you never feel the pain of losing a child. how classless and insensitive can you be to bring up something so irrelevant to this story. hope you two feel better about yourselves. I just watched my brother bury his two year old daughter and two weeks ago we lost our father at Christmas. no matter what happens in life death is difficult for a family to go through. hard enough to do it privately but can only imagine how difficult it is for someone in the public eye and national sports news only to be made worse by comments from you insensitive jerks.

64. mikedrake00 says: Jan 10, 2012 9:32 AM

The best thing to do is ignore any of the smack talk, thumbs down, etc. It does no good to comment on it, so ignore it, keep this story, comment board for what its for. My prayers go out to the Philbin Family.

65. gobucs02 says: Jan 10, 2012 5:18 PM

Thoughts and prayers are with the Philbin family and the Packers organization. All the best moving forward.