Packers stock sale features typo, delivery glitches

For the Green Bay Packers, playing football at a very high level has turned out to be a lot easier than delivering the quid for the $250 quo generated by the team’s money-for-nothing stock sale.

Somehow, we missed the fact that “a few hundred” of the just-in-time-for-Christmas memorabilia items masquerading as wafer-thin slivers of ownership didn’t make it to their purchasers in time for Christmas.

“I can understand errors in the printing process and things that go wrong, but it’s pretty disappointing to spend $525 on a Christmas present and not even have it for Christmas, or be able to find out where it is,” Brooke Messenger of Milwaukee recently told the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

“We were disappointed to learn this. It’s a miss for us,” Packers spokesman Aaron Popkey told the Press-Gazette.

But getting the suitable-for-framing-and-not-much-else stock certificate late arguably is better than getting something that will spark the wrong kind of conversation when hanging on the wall in the office or the den.  From SI.com (via Deadspin), at least one person now owns stock in “Green Boy Packers, Inc.

Yes, the stock certificate issued to at least one purchaser has a fairly significant typo.  But maybe that’s how other teams can get around the rule that prohibits every team not named the Green Bay/Boy Packers from selling stock.

The Rooneys, for example, can now create a company named the “Pittsburgh Stealers, Inc.” or some other minor variation of the primary name and sell stock in that entity, which has no actual relationship to the football team.

70 responses to “Packers stock sale features typo, delivery glitches

1. I don’t know about the “Green Boy Packer” picture…looks photoshopped because there is no watermark of Lambeau Field under the Green Bay Packer Inc

2. For $525 a Christmas gift should not only hang on the wall, it should also have about a 48″ screen.

3. I like how the stock owner’s identity has been blocked…except for the first name “Arving”. There must be at least 3 people with that name.

4. The stock prices were $250. How the hell did the lady end up spending $525?

Chances are she didnt get it because she didnt order one.

5. That picture is so fake its not funny.

The actual Packers stock certificates have a watermarked picture of Lambeau Field in the background that basically takes up the entire certificate.

Epic fail.

6. Really? Do you really think it’s possible for ONE certificate to have a typo and not several hundred or thousand others? If this was a widespread problem, there would have been multiple complaints. It’s called PhotoShop, people. Just because someone puts it on the Internet doesn’t mean it is necessarily real.

7. Hey, they just wanted to get the things printed and out the door before the rednecks sobered up and realized how they were being conned. Also shows the sincerity that the Packers have……they didn’t realize that people outside of wisconsin might take the time to read the documents. Next year the Packers will be selling a one of a kind original Packer Pet Rock (direct from China).

8. This has got to be a fake. The actual certificates say “Certified Sucker” under the name of the person it was issued to.

9. Oh well. Things could almost always go smoother but demand stressed the system.

I’ll be looking at my team’s books and talking to executives and coaches this spring.

10. Just ANOTHER instance of this article’s author pathetically grasping for anything he can gripe on about Green Bay.

11. Typos? Glitches?

What is this….When did PFT take over stock certificate fulfillment in Green Bay?

12. imaginesuperbowlwin says:Jan 10, 2012 11:08 PM

———————-

2 years from now, yours will be outdated.

13. The Packers need to act quick to correct these since we are in a deep recession!!

That means those errors render that particular stock useless!!

14. Anyone who spends $525.on a worthless piece of paper deserves what they get. You know real stock can be bought and sold, no misspelled paper required.

15. I’m getting pretty tired of all the negativity regarding the Green Bay Packers stock sale. Not just from these jealous fans of the other 31, but also from this website.

You guys call us fools and say we were robbed. We weren’t. We know what we’re buying is a $250 piece of memorabilia. We also know what the money is going to. We are investing in our team. We, the fans, literally paid for Lambeau Field to be rebuilt in 2003 and this stock sale is to finish the rest of the stadium. We KNOW what we’re buying.

Also, you see this stuff the Vikings are going through? Their fan base is terrified that they may move. Well, these stock sales insure that the Packers will ALWAYS be in Green Bay. It’s an investment in our team and an incredibly unique piece of memorabilia.

Don’t hate because I own a piece of the World Champions and you can’t even own a piece of the Vikings.

16. Does everybody know that real journalists are supposed to be unbiased? Where do you think I’m going with this?

17. I’ll take the “worthless” stock of the greatest franchise in professional sports any day of the week. PFT can keep mocking us while we continue to invest in and witness greatness.

18. As others have said, this has gotta be fake. Otherwise, this obvious kind of problem would’ve been reported much earlier, as the first shares were shipped before Christmas. But I can vouch for delivery problems, as I received the wrong one, and am expecting it in a few days now. No big deal though. As a proud Packers fan from Texas, I don’t care what anyone says. I spent my hard earned money on this for myself, and have no regrets. Go Pack Go!

19. “threeptplay says:
    Jan 10, 2012 11:24 PM
    The stock prices were $250. How the hell did the lady end up spending $525?

Chances are she didnt get it because she didnt order one.”

2 shares, $25 shipping fee.

20. @bjamesa

I was with you right up until the end there. So long as you own the fact that you are making a donation to your team, and in return receiving a trinket that has the same monetary value as a hobo turd, everyone is in agreement.

But here’s the thing…you don’t own JACK $H!T, broseph. So stop being an obtuse, entitled twat. You’re a fan, rooting for a corporate enterprise, no better or different than the rest of us.

21. It was just released that the typo is the fault of the printing company used in MN. An obvious conspiracy to embarrass the Packers by the pathetic, sad sack, slip shod lavender Larry’s.

22. I got my stock in time and with no type-o’s. And for those who say its dumb, maybe it is but it was my money and I’ll spend it how I want to. At least in this instance the Packers didn’t try to stick the taxpayers with their stadium renovation dollars. We willingly chose to give them our money and nobody in WI who doesn’t care had to give a dime this time around.

23. bjamesa says:
    Jan 10, 2012 11:51 PM

———
    Let me clue you in on something. Its not just the Viking fanbase that is laughing, its the rest of the 31 fanbases.

In defense of the Packers, Im pretty sure they were surprised as all hell to realize there was a Packer fan in Wisconsin who knew how to spell. The heck with it – split the stock and give that super fan with spelling skills 2 for the price of 1 hahahaha.

24. @johnnyb216

“Does everybody know that real journalists are supposed to be unbiased? Where do you think I’m going with this?”

The key word there is “real.” I don’t think anyone here falls into that category. I like to think of this site as more of a box score of news than a legitimate summary.

And before people make fun of those purchasing this item, have you even made a purchase for solely sentimental reasons?

25. The people of Green Bay are idiotic enough to buy bottled Aaron Rodgers farts if they sold them.
    —————

And when the real farts were sold out, they’d sell “memorabilia farts”, and the fans would hand over $250 and thank them for doing so.

26. I’m getting pretty tired of all the negativity regarding the Green Bay Packers stock sale. Not just from these jealous fans of the other 31, but also from this website.

———–
    That’s why we’re all mocking you. You say you “own a piece” of them. You own them just as much as I own the bears by buying a Brian Urlacher fat head and hanging it on my wall.

27. I’m getting pretty tired of all the negativity regarding the Green Bay Packers stock sale. Not just from these jealous fans of the other 31, but also from this website.

———–
    No one can tell u how to spend your money but $250 is a pretty expensive memorabilia!

No one who spent money on this has a right to complain about how expensive things are.

And you are right, its not a “stock”, its a memorabilia.

28. imaginesuperbowlwin says:Jan 10, 2012 11:08 PM

———————-

2 years from now, yours will be outdated.

———–

Your “stock” is worthless now.

29. The definition of a valueless gimmick, pulled over the eyes of unsuspecting “do anything for the team!” fans. The team does not feel the same way about you. There is a famous quote, do not be someone’s everything if you are just their option. It would go well heeded in Green Bay.

30. “…will spark the wrong kind of conversation when hanging on the wall in the office or the den.”
    ———————————————————-
    Or, more appropriately, from a nail in the outhouse!

31. Ok I get the ignorance of some for hating the Packers stock sale but ask yourself this:

Would you rather have your Pro team offer this to raise funds for a stadium renovation at the CHOICE of each individual consumer to spend their money how they want OR have your Pro team petition local government to impose a sales tax on everyone to help pay for renovations where your choice is taken away from you.

Hmm I think I would want to have the power to make the decision on how to spend my money

32. asublimeday says:
    Jan 11, 2012 2:47 AM
    —————

____________________________________
    Ill bet you Erin Rogers farts smell like KY Jelly!

33. Didn’t read all these posts – but did anyone mention that the mistakes in the stock certs may actually make them more valuable – much like the collectors pay for errand prints of our currency? 🙂

34. #1- this image does look like photoshop. Someone just trying to grab attention. Congrats you got your 15 seconds for lying. Yay! Surprise that fake news gets more attention then real news.

#2- people need to layoff the fans who purchased the stock. I have purchased one and I am glad I did. We all know what the purchase was for. Essentially a donation to the team and to the stadium. Great! Anything to make my stadium that much better than any other in the league. I know you can’t sell or make money of the stock. You do get to go to the owners meeting every year and get a vote per stock for Board of Directors. It’s something. What’d you expect? Pay $250 give you more rights? Stop hating on Packers fans. Just because your team doesn’t have the opportunity to do this doesn’t mean you hate on us. I live in MN and its sad here. The stadium deal is a bunch of babies. A lot of people could careless. Because half the people can’t afford a “tax”. If they liked their team so much they wouldn’t care. Jerry jones didn’t pay for Jerry world. The taxpayers payed most of it. Same thing has to happen in MN.

#3- Can’t wait until this Sundays game. Wow NY fans are really trolling and annoying. It’ll be a good game Sunday but to say the Blue will roll the Pack is just plain silly. Silly little New Yorkers.

35. bjamesa says: Jan 10, 2012 11:51 PM

——————————————-

And you are seriously proud of this? You don’t think the Packers make enough money when you buy their jerseys, pay for game-day tickets, or dress your adorable babies in Packers booties? The same babies that grow up to be the very children you choke after you lose to the Chiefs?

So you decide to blow $250 on what you KNOW is NOT actually ownership of anything other than a piece of paper (even though once again you claim otherwise when you rail on Vikings fans) to “invest in your team.” Guess what? If you have $250 to blow, why don’t you donate it to a local charity and help some real people who actually need it instead of buying a piece of paper and telling yourself you own the new lampost in the nosebleed section. Is Wisconsin so boring that you’d rather support the football team than help the less fortunate?

36. To all the haters:

I get it – you’re jealous.

Yes, I don’t own a piece of the team – I own that piece of paper.

Throughout history – when something is offered to someone that others are excluded from owning, the only logical outcome is for the “others” to lash out to the “entitled”.
    It may not be fair but I didn’t make the rules. They offered, I purchased (and spent another $250 to get it framed).
    To you it’s worthless and worth mocking. To me, it’s personal pride in supporting an entity I love.
    Nothing you say will change this in my mind.
    Now go back and dust off that Donovan McNabb jersey you shelled out $200 for.

37. I wonder what percentage of this sites hits are from packer fans. I wonder how much longer they will keep coming back.

38. 1fast84 says:
    Jan 11, 2012 1:16 AM
    Should’ve did the discount double check before printing

——————————

I gave this post a thumbs down only because of the poor grammer. Typos I can understand, but…..

39. keeley2 says:
    Jan 11, 2012 8:15 AM
    To all the haters:

I get it – you’re jealous.

Yes, I don’t own a piece of the team – I own that piece of paper.

Nothing you say will change this in my mind.
    Now go back and dust off that Donovan McNabb jersey you shelled out $200 for.

___________________________________

Ya ok bro. Somebody sound the DBag alert.

I’m really jealous of the POS frame on your wall.

Nobody in the Packers org knows who you are, nor do they care.

My franchise hero didn’t ride off into the sunset only to play for my arch rival. What was that like for 2 years straight hearing about the face of your franchise playing in Purple on every network known to man?

40. $250 is a drop in the bucket, if you got the money spend it how YOU want. Not how people that can’t afford $250 tell you so spend it.

And this is obviously a fake certificate, guess the days of verifying stories before reporting them are a thing of the past.

41. This post is open to Green Bay Packers Inc share holders only.

I propose that we, the Green Bay Packers Inc. loan $100 Million to the Minnesota Vikings to build their new stadium. Then, we can own the Vikings too.

Please, shareholders only. Thumbs up to approve the loan and thumbs done to deny.

42. I won’t discredit any Packer fans who buys one of these. The problem I have with it is that the NFL won’t allow other franchises to do the same marketing scheme. I know Packer ownership is different than all of the other 31 teams, but it shouldn’t allow G.B. to be exclusive in running what is effectively a kickstarter.com campaign. Many other franchises have to work out deals with their city and/or state to afford stadium upgrades.