Reggie McKenzie: I wanted to bring my own guy in

reggie-mckenzie

Hours after he fired head coach Hue Jackson, Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie said that his decision was simple: He’s running the team now, and he wants to move the team in a new direction.

“This decision centered around my wanting to bring my own guy in,” McKenzie said.

McKenzie sat next to Raiders owner Mark Davis at a press conference and said that Davis has entrusted him with putting the franchise on the right path.

“I want to bring my guy in and Mark was OK with that, period. That’s what we want,” McKenzie said. “Let’s bring a new guy in and let him have a chance to put his system in place and put his mission statement together for that locker room.”

We don’t know for sure who McKenzie’s guy is, but indications are that Packers assistant head coach/inside linebackers coach Winston Moss is the leading candidate. Moss and McKenzie are both former Raiders linebackers, and they’ve been in Green Bay together for the last five years.

Davis said he has known since his father, Al Davis, died three months ago that McKenzie is the right man to lead the franchise going forward, confirming reports from October that McKenzie was always in the Raiders’ plans. Davis just had to wait for the season to end to hire away an executive from another team.

What Davis didn’t seem eager to talk about was Jackson’s departure. Asked about Jackson’s contentious press conference at the end of the season, Davis said, “I don’t think I want to comment on that.”

Ultimately, McKenzie said, there’s a lot to like about the Raiders’ roster, but also a lot he needs to improve.

“You want to make sure you’ve got productive, good football players,” McKenzie said. “It’s not totally talent. I want some guys who love to play the game, that’s going to play hard, that’s going to play tough. That’s what I’m looking for. I’m looking for some guys who want to play and want to win.”

And first McKenzie will put a coach in place, one who — unlike Jackson — is McKenzie’s guy.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Reggie McKenzie: I wanted to bring my own guy in”
  1. benh999 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:20 PM

Am I the only one who smells another decade of dysfunction?

2. kernelreefer says: Jan 10, 2012 6:21 PM

I’m a little sad that this means no more baffling draft decisions. The Oakland Track Team was certainly entertaining.

At least they got a head start on wasting this year’s draft.

3. commandercornpone says: Jan 10, 2012 6:22 PM

jackson has therefore been “fired coach walking” for 3 months.

perhaps he knew it, and that is why he said all that stupid stuff.

4. jimmysimpson55 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:22 PM

I’m sorry, maybe this guy is a good dude, but he sounded almost illiterate at his press conference.

5. tiffpats4eva says: Jan 10, 2012 6:23 PM

The Raiders organization is dysfunctional.

6. KIR says: Jan 10, 2012 6:23 PM

I saw the press conference. He’s certainly not as articulate and media savvy as Hue. lol Hopefully, his talent is in the evaluation of players and football organization building. I’m willing to give him more of an opportunity than he gave Hue before I form an opinion.

7. philk0731 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:23 PM

It seems like they change coaches every year…how is that franchise supposed to have any consistency with moves like this?

8. snnyjcbs says: Jan 10, 2012 6:24 PM

After watching Dumb McKenzie and Dumber Mark Davis speak at the Presser I can see why they would have Fired Hue Jackson.

If Hue Jackson ever spoke next to one of these two you would think Jackson was Einstein next to these two Slow Pokes.

Take your Cheese Head way and shove it, this long, long time Raider Fan and Family along with all the money we spend on 10 Season Tickets, Travel to Home games from Vegas, Motels and Gear are gone.

The Raiders have DIED to us with Al Davis, Al Davis was rolling over in his GRAVE TODAY.

9. ninerdynasty says: Jan 10, 2012 6:25 PM

“there’s a lot to like about the Raiders’ roster, but also a lot he needs to improve.”

With 10mil over the cap and barely any picks for the next 2 years.. it may take a while.. I wonder if the raiders will be patient enough. Sure sounds like 2-3 more years of mediocrity in the east bay

10. mrnick66 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:26 PM

everyone seems to be dancing around the fact that a black guy fired another black guy ….do you think there would be more of an uproar if a white gm had fired hue? i am not a raiders fan,,,,,just wondering?

11. infectorman says: Jan 10, 2012 6:26 PM

There’s a “new sherriff in town, and his name is Reggie Hammond!”

12. ern215 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:27 PM

it is what it is, no need in crying over spilled milk! lets find out who the next coach is, buy into it/him and stay optimistic moving forward………..
    ………..LETS BEGIN THE NEW ERA OF OAKLAND RAIDERS FOOTBALL………….like MR DAVIS said “the greatness of the RAIDAHS is in the future

13. radrntn says: Jan 10, 2012 6:28 PM

bring it on…it’s a new day! Go RAIDERS

14. psychoraider904 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:29 PM

This sucks. Hue Jackson was the best coach we’ve had in the last 10 years. I guess Mark is picking up where Al left off. Does anybody else feel like our next stop is L.A.?

15. duluthvikesfan says: Jan 10, 2012 6:30 PM

I’m not a Raiders fan. But I can honestly say this is the first time in a very long time that I think the Raiders are making the right moves and going in the right direction.

16. vegaspopinjay says: Jan 10, 2012 6:31 PM

I gotta think if you’re a smart Raiders’ fan, this is music to your ears. No ruling by committee. One voice leading the team, and that voice saying he wants guys that love the game, not just talent.

17. delshofner says: Jan 10, 2012 6:32 PM

Hue totally overplayed his hand, maybe hoping they wouldn’t hire a GM.

But once they did, Hue had to go, as he was too much on the record for wanting the type of say-so the GM usually gets.

18. earthtopft says: Jan 10, 2012 6:33 PM

Everyone dying to see which head pops out of Reggie’s ass when he tugs on those arms and legs flailing around down there.

19. Chuck Wood says: Jan 10, 2012 6:34 PM

As a Packer Backer, I must admit… I now have a second favorite team. A distant second, but I’m going to enjoy watching this unfold in Oakland. I can honestly say, I am excited for you all. With Reggie calling the shots- i believe that GREAT things are about to happen for you. Stay classy Raider Nation.

20. tomsd1 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:34 PM

Just Win Baby!!!! Think Jackson got screwed – but he also mouthed off a bit at the end.

21. Henry says: Jan 10, 2012 6:35 PM

Who the flock is Reggie McKenzie anyway? Never heard of the guy.

22. thetooloftools says: Jan 10, 2012 6:39 PM

:o YES. Finally someone with a vision !

23. tackleberries says: Jan 10, 2012 6:39 PM

Looks like we won’t have the NFL’s first woman head coach just yet.

24. raiderlyfe510 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:39 PM

I’m a big Hue Jackson fan. Raiders lost 11+ games for 8 straight years. Hue becomes a Raider…8-8 back to back years. Saved McFadden’s career, got almost 1000 yards from DHB.

That being said, A GM needs his own man in there to materialize his vision on the field.

25. justwinbaby29 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:40 PM

Thankfully Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie are “progressive” and will allow the Raiders to join the modern day NFL. It doesn’t guarantee winning championships but without it you don’t stand a chance.

26. Keyser Söze says: Jan 10, 2012 6:47 PM

Great to see the Raiders move into the 21st century. However, Raider fans need to be prepared for 2-3 more years of no playoffs since Davis and McKenzie are intent on blowing it up and starting over. Just keeping it real…

27. tjp2033 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:47 PM

As an Eagles fan we will give you Juan Castillo. Hey he has coached on both sides of the ball, he can do it all. You will be getting such a hard worker too.

28. thomas2727 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:49 PM

Hue mean. I mean you mean Hue was not the Raiders General Manager after all? He sure seemed to think he was.

Mark Davis has enough balls and smarts to hire a GM.

There are 2 lunkheads in Dallas and Cincinnati that are not smart enough to hire a GM.

29. cardinalscouldbeworse6666 says: Jan 10, 2012 6:50 PM

So the Raiders hired Blake Griffin to be GM…

I’m sorry, that was rude. Blake is actually a pretty articulate dude.

30. cowhawkfan says: Jan 10, 2012 6:52 PM

Next 5 years will be down and out for the Raiders. You’ll be lucky if it’s not more.

31. stevenfbrackett says: Jan 10, 2012 6:58 PM

If they were planning on removing Jackson for months as they said, why didn’t the owner fire him when the season ended and save the new guy from the resentment of Jackson loyalists? Let the new guy come in with a clean slate so the players would be more receptive to the change.

32. carlsbadboltfan says: Jan 10, 2012 7:04 PM

Let’s see…

The Raiders lose John Henderson, Jason Campbell & Darren McFadden for a good chunk of the season. The owner/GM dies.

The Raiders go 8-8 with all that turmoil. They bring in a new GM & fire the coach. Almost sounds as if Al Davis never left.

33. jeremyb91 says: Jan 10, 2012 7:06 PM

I could care less how articulate he came across, he came across as someone who knew what he was talking about. He’s been known as a great talent evaluator, something sorely lacking in the 1st two rounds in recent Raiders drafts for several years in Oakland. Al struck gold in the later rounds with finds like Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford recently, but obviously struggled early on.

I’ve been a Raiders fan my whole life and realize firing Hue was the right decision in the long-run for this franchise. Short-term, absolutely not. However, this is the best way to move forward and become a modern franchise. The slate is wiped clean and Reggie’s going to completely change the franchise over the course of the next 3-5 years for good or bad.

34. dgforreal says: Jan 10, 2012 7:14 PM

I thought Jackson had the team going in the right direction and had the swagger I’d expect the Oakland Raiders head coach to have.

35. dlmcc1010 says: Jan 10, 2012 7:16 PM

Hue Jackson did himself in with the Carson Palmer trade. He went all in and mortgaged the draft the enxt few years for a guy most people knew was washed up. They missed the playoffs, and then he goes and runs his mouth to the media about wanting more control next year.

Now you bring in a new G.M and of course he is going to want a clean slate to do things his way. The last thing he needs is a coach who thinks hes the G.M. The shame here is now this guy cant really have a big draft the next two years and if anything they could have traded first round picks for Peyton Manning.

36. dw394 says: Jan 10, 2012 7:20 PM

starting over again. they won’t even be 8-8 next season

37. keithdylan says: Jan 10, 2012 7:24 PM

I am a die hard Raider fan, and I am astonished how some see the firing of Hue as a great end of an era. Please tell me how you could not see his arrogance cost them the Detroit game. Run the ball and it’s over. Also tell me what in the last 25 years you want to hold on to? Don’t give me the Super Bowl as a shining example that Al wasn’t a little behind the times. That was a result of the harmonic convergence of Davis/Allen/Gruden, and once one part was gone, the magic was lost. Reggie said it best with almost the first words out of his mouth, “With all due respect to what went on in the past, it’s time for a change.” Every football “expert” says this is the guy to lead a franchise. Mark Davis did the right thing, and Davis did not fire Hue. Trust Madden. Go Reggie. Go Raiders.

38. vipod4ever says: Jan 10, 2012 7:25 PM

Al was at the press conference…lights go out, projector screen starts to drop. Those Raider press conferences are always a blast. Great call by Mark Davis, he said this is Reggie’s show, he’s got 5 yrs max to prove himself. I know Nation, we need to be patient again, a new stadium will be a distraction, but we are going to be a “normal” NFL franchise…in a way, that’s kinda sad.

39. cliffordc05 says: Jan 10, 2012 7:34 PM

Am I mistaken or is this the Reggie McKenzie who was a guard for the Buffalo Bills or was he a Raiders linebacker as the article indicates?

40. buffalowned says: Jan 10, 2012 7:36 PM

good thing he and “his guy” will have draft picks to build the team…oh wait

41. rondo1260 says: Jan 10, 2012 7:43 PM

Hue Jackson wanted more power in the organization and the organization responded with a resounding “NO!”. Hue had to have known he was out when they hired McKenzie. You can’t give up several years worth of draft picks for one guy and then miss the playoffs.

When there’s a new GM, there almost has to be a clean house for it to work. The Raiders need organizational change from the top on down and there needs to be coaches in place that will get with the new program. People say Winston Moss has the makeup to be a head coach and that looks like a good formula for success… in 2 years when they get some draft picks. Thanks, Hue.

42. greenandgoldgirl says: Jan 10, 2012 7:49 PM

I can understand the mixed emotions of the Raiders fans. Give McKenzie a chance. He was responsible for talent assessment/development for the Packers. So many of the great players on the current Packer roster are from the late rounds in the draft. With McKenzie you have a chance to get some good talent that can be developed and help build your franchise up again. McKenzie is a good man, trained in player development under Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson. McKenzie played for the Raiders, he understands what it means to be a Raider. I believe he gives you a great chance to have the type of team you want to have, tough, hardnosed and winners. I wish him and Raider nation all the best.

43. marshmont says: Jan 10, 2012 7:56 PM

hiring a general manager to run the team is a good decision by davis. sounds like a good start in the right direction. good luck reggie.

44. commandercornpone says: Jan 10, 2012 8:17 PM

the raiders didnt lose 11+ games for 8 straight seasons.

7, yes.

they did lose 8+ games for 9 straight years.

45. rooster1975 says: Jan 10, 2012 8:34 PM

Or they could both negotiate with two different player agents at the same time. The possibilities are endless….

46. hscorpio says: Jan 10, 2012 8:35 PM

cliffordc05 says: Jan 10, 2012 7:34 PM

=============================

His brother Raleigh was a member of the Hogs for the Redskins back in the 80s. He had a few other NFL stops but Buffalo wasn’t one.

Reggie was a Raider LB as a player.

47. zoogleea says: Jan 10, 2012 8:52 PM

And what’s up with all the slamming of Carson Palmer – did you guys see those games? Palmer is one of the top ten QBs in the league. If he had a camp and didn’t have to play with different receivers every week he would have been outstanding. Don’t count him out.

48. zoogleea says: Jan 10, 2012 8:55 PM

Hmm… It appears I am blacklisted here for some reason – I’ve had three relatively innocuous posts pulled.

I just hope this isn’t the beginning of the west coast offence era in Oakland.

49. woodyg says: Jan 10, 2012 9:01 PM

You Raider fans are going to be pleasantly surprised because of this hiring ….. McKenzie will bring in Winston Moss as HC & probably raid a few others from the Pack (Perry & Clements ??)…… Believe me, anyone that comes from the Pack at this time can only be an upgrade over what Oakland is used too ……

Oakland will not only get better decision makers but they will also get an infusion of professionalism, organization & class ……

50. mikeeg says: Jan 10, 2012 9:01 PM

He looks like Shrek

51. schmitty2 says: Jan 10, 2012 9:06 PM

snnyjcbs says:
    Jan 10, 2012 6:24 PM

So basically you drove over from another state to watch the Raiders be mediocre at best for over a decade..now when they bring in a guy from the defending Super Bowl Champions and possibly the best team in football you want to give up season tickets before you have even see the job he can do? Typical

52. hawkjuice says: Jan 10, 2012 9:09 PM

Packers front office is like gold!

53. omegaichiban says: Jan 10, 2012 9:15 PM

I though I heard him say they are going to make (paraphrasing here) an extensive search for the next coach, when all signs point to Moss. He also said they talked about Jackson and the season…YOU WANT YOUR OWN GUY…what’s there to talk about. The presser was crap, it would have been much better had they just said “Were going in a different direction, thank you and goodnight”

54. jtrammel9829 says: Jan 10, 2012 9:16 PM

Who cares how articulate Reggie is, he has a proven track record of success. Are you asking him to recite poetry or put a winning product on the field?

Hue went 8 and 8 after starting 7 and 4, sorry but that does not cut it. Is this “Commitment to Excellence” or the Chargers Alex Spanos’ “Acceptance of Mediocrity”.

He has a legacy of being part of winning organizations, give the guy a chance. I am mad at Jackson on selling the organization on a long shot bet (Palmer) and risking the franchise on it.

If anyone would have thought bringing in a retired Carson Palmer and having him turn around the season without much practice is either crazy, dumb, taking something, or all three.

It is going to be a lean two to three years because of this, thanks Hue!

55. wcman says: Jan 10, 2012 9:17 PM

This a great day for Raiders football. We have an owner who has entrusted the fortunes of the team to somebody qualified to run it, and the guy who is running things is going to change the culture around this team. No more scholarships or ridiculous contracts to marginal players.

A new era of Raider football. Feels good.

56. chadinkc30 says: Jan 10, 2012 9:22 PM

PIOLI wanted to his own guys & how is that working out for the Chiefs? This guy needs to hire a big name coach, something that hasn’t been viable for years, being that nobody wanted to coach under Al. Rip

57. zoogleea says: Jan 10, 2012 9:58 PM

Yeah, way to go Mark and Reggie – bring in your guy, another illiterate with no previous experience in the position. Will you do the same for the OC and DC?

So the Raiders are (I mean were) on the verge of being a serious contender and we blow up the team? Hue was hand-picked by Al and you couldn’t give him another year? I’m sure Al would be proud of you guys for taking us back to the drawing board. Way to respect your Dad, Mark – I’m sure you know more about football than Al did.

I’ve been a hard-core Raiders fan for 34 years and I am sick over this. Sorry Hue – hope you get a good gig elsewhere.

58. shaggytoodle says: Jan 10, 2012 10:04 PM

Its cool to bring in your own coach, but when you and your own coach want your own QB. Thats where the trickle down effect occurs. Sometimes it works TT > MM > Rodgers worked out ok.

The Raiders went from GM to (lots of) coaches (lots of) different QBs and then selling the barn for Palmer. I personally don’t care how the Raiders turn out I have no rooting intrest, but it sounds like they are going to need a bit of time.

59. bittersportspills says: Jan 10, 2012 10:17 PM

Hue Jackson essentially fired himself with the Palmer trade, then the tirade after the last game. I guess he thought handcuffing the team draftwise for a couple of years would guarantee his survival. Oh well. Davis went along with it, but apparently the results did Jackson in.

How could he have expected to be retained when his hand-picked QB goes 4-5? He gambled everything on the pre-2006 Palmer to come in, not the pick machine observed by everyone in the NFL last season except Jackson.

60. jdbaker01 says: Jan 10, 2012 10:20 PM

When I first saw the picture I thought the raiders hired Blake Griffin as their G.M.

61. raideralex99 says: Jan 10, 2012 10:28 PM

OK … let me get this straight … how is giving all the power to a new GM McKenzie with no experience any different from giving Jackson some power.
    The Palmer trade was a good one … all the so called experts had the Raiders winning the division after that trade … so please do not tell me how the Raiders got fleeced on that trade. JaMarcus, Gallery 1st round superstars right? Remind me who was Raiders last year 1st rounder? Fact … more than half of the top half 1st rounders are BUSTS!

What Hue did not factor in was how TERRIBLE his DC and defence was … what a shame. Sure Hue made some rookie coaching mistakes but give the guy a break it was his first season … nobody is perfect.

As for throwing his team under the bus … GOOD for him … he really should have released half of them (defence) after that game … seriously all season long Hue took the blame for the bad play of the team BUT enough is enough … he had the balls to finally throw them under the bus after 17 weeks.

62. tatum064 says: Jan 10, 2012 11:24 PM

jimmysimpson55 says:
    Jan 10, 2012 6:22 PM

==============

Ever heard Belichick talk? He sounds like his lips are going through a cheese grater.

McKenzie is respected throughout the league.

63. skolvikesskol says: Jan 10, 2012 11:27 PM

I cant b the only one who understands y he was fired?! He was lippy, made a bad trade, missed playoffs which was due just as much to the defense as the offense… His billys and joes let him down… If u want to keep him allu had to do was win one more game… Like maybe one with a 13 pt 4 qtr lead… Am i also the only one who watched carson palmer throw 1 bad pik after the next… Everytime i saw the raiders this year caraon was blowing hard core!

64. tatum064 says: Jan 10, 2012 11:29 PM

philk0731 says:
    Jan 10, 2012 6:23 PM

========

because Davis really tried to reload every year, rather than trade down, stockpile picks and make prudent choices with free agents – particularly in 2005, 2007 and 2008. He then paid too much to average players , so they wouldn’t leave and no forceful, respected , dynamic coordinators could get anything done – lot of Sam Williams, and Michael Huff’s … a lot of athletes, with turned over staff and coordinators who had no idea to scheme them properly or build chemistry.

They’re trying to get out of a hole made up of 8 years of bad drafting, a no.1 overall bust, a lot of teasing-type talent, but no real continuity.

No place to go but up….hill

65. tatum064 says: Jan 10, 2012 11:30 PM

psychoraider904 says:
    Jan 10, 2012 6:29 PM

====================

They were heading to L.A. the minute they traded for Carson Palmer.

66. 1fast84 says: Jan 10, 2012 11:46 PM

[rooster1975 says: Jan 10, 2012 8:34 PM

So if Reggie gets tied up in another meeting will his brother Raleigh take his place? You’d have to look pretty closely at their Super Bowl rings to tell the difference between the two.]

Reggie’s superbowl ring got stolen in 2009

67. dadsource says: Jan 10, 2012 11:48 PM

Is Al still controlling this team from the GRAVE? DAMN IT! The Jags could have hired Hue, I LOVE that guy. What a bunch of Mularkey!

68. norcal209 says: Jan 11, 2012 5:29 AM

A new era in Oakland, but I think they should’ve given hue another season to prove himself….RAIDER NATION

69. jbmartindale says: Jan 11, 2012 5:36 AM

Sounds like this dude has a huge ego/is a 8 year old child.

It’s not his so he doesn’t want it. Well that’s a good reason. Fans will accept that. *dry sarcasim voice*