Hue Jackson wishes he could take back his final press conference

Oakland Raiders head coach Hue Jackson reacts late in the game against the San Diego Chargers during their NFL football game in Oakland Reuters

After losing his final game as the Raiders’ head coach, Hue Jackson said he was “pissed” at his team and that he would be making changes. As it turned out, the Raiders were the ones making changes, firing Jackson perhaps because owner Mark Davis and G.M. Reggie McKenzie were displeased about those comments.

Now that Jackson has had a chance to simmer down, he says he wishes he hadn’t lashed out at that final press conference.

“I wish I could take it back and say it differently so people could really understand what I was trying to say,” Jackson said today on NFL Network. “I wasn’t trying to say that I wanted to take total control of everything.”

Instead, Jackson says, what he was hoping to convey with his press conference after the Raiders lost to the Chargers in Week 17 was that he hoped to re-shape the team during the offseason. As the last coach hired by Al Davis, Jackson took the job under different circumstances than the franchise is faced with now, and Jackson said he would have liked the opportunity to mold the team in his own image, rather than to coach the team that Al Davis was running.

“I think when you work for the Raiders, you understand that Al Davis is first and foremost — you work for him,” Jackson said. “So I didn’t get an opportunity to put everybody that I wanted on my staff, or run the team or the situation with football operations the way I see fit. I took the job, and I knew the parameters of the job, and I accepted that, and I think at the end what was coming out of me was the emotion of a long season, being 8-8, losing to the Chargers with so much riding on the line — the opportunity to win the AFC West, host a playoff game at home, opportunity to have the first nine-win season since 2002.”

But the bottom line is that even if Jackson wishes he could take it back and say it differently, the point remains the same: Jackson wanted to implement his own vision for the Raiders, and that vision apparently doesn’t mesh with the vision of Al’s son Mark Davis, who hired Reggie McKenzie as general manager.

Still, there’s a lot to be said for making sure you get your message across the right way, even in the heat of the moment after a tough loss. In his comments on NFL Network today, Jackson sounded much more reasonable and even-keeled than he did in that post-game press conference, and he described Mark Davis as “a good man,” and said he has no hard feelings for Davis or McKenzie. If Jackson had approached his final press conference the way he approached today’s comments about getting fired, he might not have had to make today’s comments about getting fired.

Permalink 84 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
84 Responses to “Hue Jackson wishes he could take back his final press conference”
  1. jimmysee says: Jan 11, 2012 7:02 PM

Hubris.

Deadly.

“Do not ask for whom the bell tolls.
    It tolls for you!”

2. jimmysimpson55 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:04 PM

Hindsight in one hand, doo doo in the other.

3. ctiggs says: Jan 11, 2012 7:06 PM

Why so much press on an unemployed guy?

4. AlanSaysYo says: Jan 11, 2012 7:07 PM

Would he publicly announce he wanted to take those comments back if he was still coach of the Raiders? I doubt it. And that’s one of the reason’s he’s no longer a head coach.

“Yeah, I’d like to take back that thing that got me fired, but only because it got me fired.”

5. vikescry1 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:08 PM

sounds like back pedaling to me…. i i i i was i was umm i didn’t mean what i had said????? is it cuz he still wants to be able to get a job or does he really mean it? either way i guess at least he came out and tried to make it right.

6. finsfrenzy says: Jan 11, 2012 7:08 PM

I figured he would be out when I saw that press conference, he totally undercut himself saying that “at some point the players needed to stop listening to him and play for some pride in themselves” or something along those lines. Just no sense of confidence in himself…….

7. pacificamjr says: Jan 11, 2012 7:08 PM

obviously he has to chill out now, he’s trying to get another job

8. raiderlyfe510 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:08 PM

Don’t worry Hue. San Diego , Kansas Ciry, or Denver will be knocking on your door soon. They love hiring Raider-Haters. Beating us is their Superbowl.

9. geniusesq says: Jan 11, 2012 7:09 PM

Getting fired by the Raiders used to be considered a relief.

10. mancave001 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:09 PM

I’ve got no love for the Raid-uhs or Jackson, but I think he got screwed after only one season. He gets fired for being pissed off after losing that game? Come on. This was planned for some time. He got shafted.

11. KIR says: Jan 11, 2012 7:10 PM

Say what you want about Hue Jackson but the offense finished #9! They were 7-4, leading their division and one of the most explosive offenses in the league before all the injuries. They still almost won the division even after the Raiders lost the owner/GM, possible MVP of the league RB Darren McFadden, QB, their best two receivers.

12. omegaichiban says: Jan 11, 2012 7:10 PM

Now which fairly knowledgeable, with a great sense of humour commenter said Hue needed to find a pr firm, apologize and shut up, not necessarily in that order? Oh wait…
    Trevor Pryce said Hue should run to the college ranks. Trevors a smart man and should probably be on NBC more

13. Tarkus says: Jan 11, 2012 7:10 PM

Why is this guy in the news every day? I never heard from him this much when he still had a job.

14. icyhuckh20 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:12 PM

that’s ok come back to baltimore and take cam job ,come back please

15. chuckxx says: Jan 11, 2012 7:14 PM

I would love it oh so dearly if my Chiefs would hire Hue. Man that would make my day!!!!!!!

16. waitingguilty says: Jan 11, 2012 7:15 PM

Unless he followed it with “and the trade for Carson” would it really have mattered?

17. radrntn says: Jan 11, 2012 7:15 PM

i have no problem with Hue calling out the players.

I do have a problem with any employee telling an owner and a ceo how he is going to run the company, and help make the decisions, etc….especially a new employee who did an average job…..8 and 8 is average.

18. redrew says: Jan 11, 2012 7:15 PM

So chatty….listen up coaches, ex coaches, wanna be coaches. Before attacking a problem, making a roster decision, deciding on a game tactic….ask yourself…….”What would Belichick do?

19. trbowman says: Jan 11, 2012 7:16 PM

He was probably fired regardless.

20. radrntn says: Jan 11, 2012 7:16 PM

plus i disagree with everything else….it really is as simple as “I want my own guy, period”

21. ramcountry says: Jan 11, 2012 7:19 PM

It was that trade for Palmer that got you fired, Huey.

22. ebeg420 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:20 PM

Come on Hue!!! Be a MAN!!!!
    Stick by your words no matter what!!!
    This just makes you look like you are a nutcase and who would want a coach that second guesses himself all the time? You were getting FIRED regardless so shut the hole and look for a new job!!

23. eknirb says: Jan 11, 2012 7:21 PM

“I wasn’t trying to say that I wanted to take total control of everything”

Sure is what it sounded like………

24. garyman1 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:21 PM

That was the worst press conference since Peter McNeeley said that he would “wrap Mike Tyson in a cocoon of horror”…. just before his fight with him.

25. hatesycophants says: Jan 11, 2012 7:21 PM

Enough. Geez. As if the last thing missing was Mike Smith’s assessment of the situation?

Go Lions! Go Badgers!

26. Tom G says: Jan 11, 2012 7:22 PM

Nice to see common sense finally came to visit him.

27. xtb3 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:28 PM

He isn’t bright enough to realize it but had he kicked the sure FG from the Detroit 23 yardline on the very first drive of the game instead of going for a home run endzone pass to the ground OR on 3rd and 3 with clock running about a minute left in game near midfield and even just running IF Bush didn’t get the first down but would have at least took a minute off the clock or made the first down BUT NO he again went for the endzone home run pass that led to Detroit coming back to winning 28-27.

An intelligent man learns from his mistakes, a stupid man like Jackson doesn’t think he made one. Just like the Atlanta genius head coach and his assistant Mularkey.

28. noburghfan says: Jan 11, 2012 7:29 PM

It will be interesting to see how long the next coaching hire lasts !

29. kya_tropic_fan says: Jan 11, 2012 7:31 PM

raiderlyfe510 says:Jan 11, 2012 7:08 PM

_______________________

I had no idea that the AFC had THAT many Championships, LMFAO, those 3 teams apparently win Super Bowls every single year. I have never seen a franchise that couldnt get out of their own way like the Raiders. Even when you get a coach that manages to not have a losing record, he gets canned, hahahahaha. I guess 8-8 is too much to handle, need to get back to the 3-13 to 5-11 range…

30. raideralex99 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:32 PM

Don’t worry Hue … no experience GM Reggie McKenzie will make his share of rookie mistakes too.

31. mrcosio says: Jan 11, 2012 7:33 PM

If Hue really regretted saying all that crap he would have told his cuddle buddy Mike Silver not to write that article basically ripping Mark Davis, I swear the more I hear this guy talk the less respect I have for him

I mean honestly Hue Jackson is a great X & O’s guy but he’s clearly not a leader and thats what the Raiders need right now

32. frenchy121212 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:33 PM

That’s why you got fired. You are too dumb to know you shouldn’t have said it to begin with.

33. steviekthr3e says: Jan 11, 2012 7:33 PM

Hue,

I wish you could take back your last trade.

34. barklikeadog says: Jan 11, 2012 7:35 PM

Shut up already!

35. 808raiderinparadise says: Jan 11, 2012 7:36 PM

Way to Build A Bully, as in BS.

36. groess says: Jan 11, 2012 7:40 PM

Hue Jackson…go away!

37. whodat2 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:42 PM

His biggest disappointment has to be that Mark Davis has better hair!

38. huejackson says: Jan 11, 2012 7:43 PM

I love how all these fired Raider coaches blame their losing on Al Davis..
    You praised Al when you are the coach but when u get fired its all his fault..
    Bottom line is when Al was alive the defense was so much better, If Al was still alive Raiders are in the playoffs right now

39. efriedo says: Jan 11, 2012 7:44 PM

“I wish I could take back what I said”

-Thanks a lot, Captain Hindsight

40. orthodoxdj says: Jan 11, 2012 7:49 PM

Leave they guy alone already. In today’s “everyone knows everything all the time because of computers and cell phones” world, people have no privacy.

41. gottapoop says: Jan 11, 2012 7:51 PM

Raiders fans wish they could take back the reason they became raiders fans

42. realfootballfan says: Jan 11, 2012 7:55 PM

If someone isn’t knocking down this man’s door to be their OC yesterday, the NFL is a joke and more about politics than being good.

While dopes like Bill Musgrave are on their 3rd job ruining some fan base’s offense, this guy put together one of the league’s best offenses with bubble gum and shoestrings, all while initially having one hand tied behind his back by Al Davis, then losing almost every piece of his offense during this season.

Yet, he still managed 8-8 and would have won the division without that awful defense. I say Bravo, Hue Jackson, take a bow.

Yet, he and Mike Martz can’t find work because of politics, lol. Best Raider coach since Gruden, and they made a huge mistake firing him yesterday just like they did with that stupid trade of Chuckie to Tampa.

43. rando74 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:03 PM

sometimes you just gotta know when to shut your mouth. he got a little too big for his britches too quickly. he’ll be fine. go be a position coach somewhere and learn from it Hue. no biggie.

44. steviekthr3e says: Jan 11, 2012 8:08 PM

kya_tropic_fan

you seem to forget the real truth: the afc west is absolutely terrible.

you know what the last afc west team that represented the afc in the super bowl? yea. the raiders.

im a raiders fan. ill be the first to tell you how awful they’ve been for a decade.

BUT NO FAN from an afc west team should walk around with their chest high. SD can’t get over the hump regardless of what talent is there, KC was revelant for what a year?, Denver comes and goes in terms of being playoff team

afc west sucks. plain and simple.

45. tinbender2000 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:13 PM

“and he described Mark Davis as “a good man,” and said that Justin Bieber haircut just cracks me up”

46. smedley61 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:16 PM

Maybe I’m missing it. I don’t see how his revised explanation is much different. “run … the situation with football operations the way I see fit” implies to me getting in the business of the GM.

47. curtj5 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:16 PM

Jackson wasn’t fired for being aggressive, wanting more power, or being a clown in front of the press. There was a power vacuum and Jackson was just trying to do his job and help the team win.

Hue Jackson was fired because he made numerous tactical mistakes over the season. For every exciting fake field goal that net a first down there were 2 questionable bone-head play calls. He’s just not a great head coach.

48. zoogleea says: Jan 11, 2012 8:25 PM

Mark Davis sold out his father and Hue. How many first year head coaches don’t make mistakes? It was pretty clear Hue bled Silver and Black even though he didn’t have a prior connection to the Raiders. Al Davis picked Hue; Mark should have given him some time out of respect for his Dad’s wishes if nothing else. After all, we were 13 points away from being AFC West champs even after all the turmoil Hue had to deal with. And oh yeah, it wasn’t the offense that cost us a playoff berth. With another year, a different OC and a revamped defense we would have been right in the hunt next year.

A big FU from Mark to his Dad and Hue.

49. zoogleea says: Jan 11, 2012 8:27 PM

Oops… I meant … a different DC not OC in my previous post.

50. blacnsilvr says: Jan 11, 2012 8:27 PM

bye hue!… just leave baby!!

51. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 11, 2012 8:30 PM

I think it’s very bizarre Hue Jackson was fired.

I mean….look at the owner. It takes a lot of balls to get a haircut at the age of 7 and say “I’m going with this from now one” and stick to that until you’re in your 50s.

52. dougydougdoug says: Jan 11, 2012 8:37 PM

zoogleea:

You should call 911 right now. The Weber BBQ you use to heat your shed is clearly suffocating you with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Big daddy Al went through head coaches like they were going out of style. How many Raiders’ coaches since Gruden have made it longer then a season (not including the garbage time filling in for the previously fired guy)? It’s been a revolving door, like no other team in the league. So, if anything, the Davis spawn is simply honoring it’s father by continuing the trend.

Anyone even remotely interested in that damaged franchise should simply chill out, sit back, and pray that the new cat from the Pack can un-hose things in a timely fashion.

53. yettyskills says: Jan 11, 2012 8:41 PM

Three years from now most of us will be saying.

“Remember Hue Jackson? What ever happened to him?”

54. jimmysee says: Jan 11, 2012 8:43 PM

Hue’s comments about his plans for the team remind me of what Secretary of State Al Haig said after Reagan was shot:

“I’m in charge.”

Um, no, Al — the Vice President is in charge.

55. nomoreseasontix says: Jan 11, 2012 8:43 PM

So, Hue…. How’s that blustery, big mouth thing working out for you?

The fact is, you weren’t very good. The team wasn’t prepared in most games (I saw every one of them). Your game plan was typically very weak and usually devolved into desperation by the third quarter. And let’s not get into your talents as a personnel man. Houshmanzadeh? Really? From what I can tell, the media is giving you a pass on that whole “I know who the QB will be” crap you were dishing out. It was so cute… and idiotic. Child-like…
    We’ll forget about your idiotic play-calling and non-existant game management. When you’re frequently using timeouts in the first and third quarter, nothing needs to be said.

I’m glad you seem to still have some of the internet sports-hacks in your pocket. Hope they get it done for you.

A coach that didn’t do a very good job thinks he could have done better with MORE power?

Get real…..

56. raiderapologist says: Jan 11, 2012 8:49 PM

gottapoop says: Jan 11, 2012 7:51 PM

Raiders fans wish they could take back the reason they became raiders fans

I think your handle tells us all we need to know about you.
    Jackson was correct when he said that when you work for Al Davis, you don’t have control. Don’t know why he is bringing it up now. It’s common knowledge. As for the Palmer trade, Mark Davis signed off on it, so that is not the only reason Jackson got canned.

57. bucball3256 says: Jan 11, 2012 9:01 PM

No worries Hue…you will look like a good coach when the Raiders go 5-11 next year like we’re used to seeing.

58. doitbigreggiemckenzie says: Jan 11, 2012 9:03 PM

I will say even though i am happy the raiders are starting from scratch, a little bit of me was sad to see Hue go. But now that his mouth is moving even more than when he was coach, i am so happy he is gone. Be a man Hue. Move on you Bitch

59. slapyourselfstupid says: Jan 11, 2012 9:03 PM

huejackson says:
    Jan 11, 2012 7:43 PM
    I love how all these fired Raider coaches blame their losing on Al Davis..
    You praised Al when you are the coach but when u get fired its all his fault..
    __________________________________

Wow. You go beyond being a moron. You are an embarassment to the Gayder Nation.

60. snnyjcbs says: Jan 11, 2012 9:05 PM

My take is that the Raiders need a few more like Jackson who care enough to become emotional. That has been the problem there for way, way to long.

Biggest mistake the Raiders have made in many years, with Hue back on O with another year. Bringing in a Quality D Coordinator and an off-season the Raiders could have done some damage next year.

Good move by the Raiders for down the road, maybe?, “rebuild” and another bunch a years down the sewer. I could finally watch a game without laughing or crying once in awhile.

Before Hue they could not score 7 points a game, the word TD was alien to the team and they could not pass or move the ball against Pop Warner. The O Line was garbage as well. Hue changed all that. Plus Al Davis wanted him coach, now we have some glorified Fan running the team and *^%$#@!( all over his Father and his Legacy.

61. lostsok says: Jan 11, 2012 9:10 PM

You never stop learning in life. Hue just got a very big lesson, and to his credit it appears to have sunk in.

Best of luck to him in the future.

62. snnyjcbs says: Jan 11, 2012 9:31 PM

Michael S

In my opinion, and that of many other respected NFL executives and coaches to whom I’ve spoken, the new coaching hire is likely to be a downgrade. While Jackson wasn’t perfect, he is an exceptional play-caller who did wonders with the previously pathetic offense he inherited as Tom Cable’s coordinator in 2010 – and who created an upbeat, aggressive atmosphere that brought out the fire in many of his players (including veteran defensive end Richard Seymour, who stuck up for Jackson in my column Tuesday).”

With all of that said, many people see Jackson as a rising star in this profession, and I am one of them. That may not interest you, but this should: Someone who felt even more strongly about Jackson’s potential was Al Davis, who hired him to salvage Cable’s pathetic offense and then enthusiastically entrusted him with the whole operation.

Jackson likes to reference his conversations with the late owner too much for some people’s tastes, but the fact is he was being groomed to be a powerful head coach who understood the Raider Way. In that sense, he was being treated more like an heir than Mark Davis was – think Maximus and Commodus in “Gladiator” – another understandable source of tension and insecurity for the man on the wrong end of that equation.

For that reason, more than one person familiar with the late owner’s mindset told me Tuesday that, as Mark Davis sat at the podium and discussed Jackson’s dismissal, “Al was rolling over in his grave.”

63. zoogleea says: Jan 11, 2012 9:34 PM

dougydoug

You are correct – the difference here is that the team has made strides despite only matching last year’s record. I didn’t agree with the Cable firing – chock that up to Al’s somewhat erratic decision making abilities in recent years. The other coaches sucked.

As for Reggie’s hiring and other potential Packer-like changes, it will be nice to have the structure but then we will have another vanilla team. Is there a more boring team (or city) than GB?

64. zoogleea says: Jan 11, 2012 9:37 PM

As for Marks “extensive research” into a new GM, only interviewing one candidate leaves me wishing I could have a meeting with him over a prospective real estate deal (I don’t know anything about it, but it sounds like he is easily convinced).

He had John Madden sit in on the 6 hour meeting – wow that’s impressive – I’ve written exams that long! I have always loved Madden but let’s face it, he was a coach over 30 years ago and has no front office experience. Is this the guy you tie your horse to? Let’s not forget that Al Davis took a huge chance when he made Madden a head coach and stuck with him – that turned out pretty well. Hue deserved the same chance.

If Mark Davis had a boss he would be fired. Now we will probably have another HC with no experience and who knows about the rest of the staff. While Reggie appears to be a good evaluator of talent, being a GM involves much more than that.

It’s shocking to me that he and Hue Jackson couldn’t at least attempt to work together toward their stated common goal. Hue was power hungry? What about Reggie who will now set us back several years while he experiments?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I was at a season ending game not long ago that decided the AFC West. Will we be in that situation next year?

Forgive me if I sound bitter, but we were close to being a serious contender and now we have to start over.

Al Davis – RIP.
    Hue Jackson – good luck on your future endeavors.
    You have both been sold out.

65. topgun1019 says: Jan 11, 2012 9:40 PM

God, doesn’t this guy no when to shut-up? The more he talks, the more crap comes out of his mouth. He already has a bad rap around league coaching circles. Everytime he opens his mouth, he makes it that much more difficult to get another job.

66. mikeeg says: Jan 11, 2012 9:42 PM

I was very saddened to hear the news of Hue being let go. In that year he did some very key changes and helped me feel better within my own choices. I will miss u Hue and tgose few chats we had mid-season i will always cherish. I wish u and your family only the best….

Signed,

Mike Brown

67. zoogleea says: Jan 11, 2012 9:46 PM

dougydoug:

I’m not sure how you knew I have a Weber(?)

I may live in a shed but at least I have a nice BBQ (doubles as a heater).

68. thinwhiteduke76 says: Jan 11, 2012 9:48 PM

LOL he’s sorry now?

He’s not sorry for giving up draft picks to the Bengals for a washed up Carson Palmer that he said was going to be one of the best trades ever? He should be apologizing for wasting Oakland’s draft picks for a QB that threw 20 INT’s last year and thrw 16 of them in just 9 games this season.

69. roamingabriel says: Jan 11, 2012 9:53 PM

Obviously Mark screwed up…

He may have been able to trade Hue for a first round pick!!!

70. ern215 says: Jan 11, 2012 10:01 PM

can we just make this a clean break and not be messy about it?…….smh

71. radrntn says: Jan 11, 2012 10:08 PM

roamingabriel says:
    Jan 11, 2012 9:53 PM
    Obviously Mark screwed up…

He may have been able to trade Hue for a first round pick!!!
    _________________________

can’t do that no more after Al got 2# 1’s., and 2 #2’s for chucky….NFL made a rule that you can’t trade coaches for picks

72. bigjohnincvg says: Jan 11, 2012 10:33 PM

It’s time for Hue to shut his mouth. Didn’t he learn his lesson?

73. zoogleea says: Jan 11, 2012 10:34 PM

snnyjcbs – Michael S

Thank you. I couldn’t have (and didn’t) say it better myself.

74. hrdcorbengalsfan says: Jan 11, 2012 10:40 PM

How does Oakland look now, Carson?

75. thetooloftools says: Jan 11, 2012 11:34 PM

After reading again. I don’t want the Raiders shaped in your image Hue. Your after comments are worse then the presser you lost you job over.
    I guess the consensus was right.
    Now shut up and get another job before you continue to pull dirt over your career.
    THINK THINK THINK Hue.

76. jimmysee says: Jan 11, 2012 11:37 PM

dougydoug

==================================

Hey dougydoug — nothing boring about winning.

77. mikeeg says: Jan 11, 2012 11:39 PM

xtb3 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:28 PM

** Great take. Only thing u missed was the moron also didnt try for two to make it a 7 point lead.. he was content with 27 vs 28….

78. fittytuckin says: Jan 12, 2012 1:23 AM

The Raiders are a flaming brown paper bag with dump inside it.

79. jjboogie2011 says: Jan 12, 2012 7:40 AM

in a somewhat related news conference, Raiders fans wish they could take back the last 8 seasons…

80. richkotitte says: Jan 12, 2012 7:41 AM

I applaud Hue for saying what was really on his mind at the press conference following the game, even though it got him fired. There’s always work out there Hue, you can even stock shelves next to me here at Walm@rt!

81. bucfandango says: Jan 12, 2012 7:56 AM

Should be on the Redskin’s staff in less than a week.

82. pabillsfan says: Jan 12, 2012 8:27 AM

Not even near a Raideres fan, but all I’m saying is, he was probably gone no matter what, this was just an excuse, and a good one. Every GM wants to have his own guy in there. At least you guys can move on now though, the bills still waiting for our crappy owner to “retire”.

83. mogogo1 says: Jan 12, 2012 10:54 AM

The guy simply isn’t very smart. His champion was Al Davis. When Davis passed away, any intelligent person would have kept a low profile and started building bridges to the new power brokers. Instead of doing that, Jackson goes on a tirade demanding more control. Like anybody was going to take that from a guy who oversaw a total collapse over the last month of the season.

84. dadsource says: Jan 14, 2012 12:18 AM

Any Hue haters out there are going to see just what he does in the next few years. Wish J-ville would have waited 2 days, then we could have had HUE!