Raheem Morris says he’ll be an assistant somewhere this year

Raheem Morris AP

Raheem Morris says he won’t stay out of work for long after getting fired as head coach of the Buccaneers.

Morris told the Tampa Tribune that he got a job offer from the Redskins, that he had a good interview with the Vikings, and that he’s sure he’ll be an assistant coach on an NFL staff in 2012.

“With Washington, it was more of an offer, but I also felt great coming out of my talks with Minnesota,” Morris said. “We should know something pretty soon because you can see jobs shaking out all over the league right now. I’ll be back somewhere next season. I’m not going to just stay at home – I don’t have that in me. I’m a football coach and we do what we do.”

The 35-year-old Morris has been discussed as a defensive coordinator of the Vikings, although his experience as a defensive coordinator is limited to one season at Kansas State, in 2006. The highest-ranking assistant job he has had in the NFL was defensive backs coach of the Buccaneers, before he became their head coach. If he doesn’t get the defensive coordinator job in Minnesota, he may have to take a fairly large step down to be a position coach. But Morris sounds like he just wants to coach somewhere.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
9 Responses to “Raheem Morris says he’ll be an assistant somewhere this year”
  1. jpb12 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:36 AM

This guy talks TOO MUCH. Wonder how the Redskins feel about his musings to the media right now?

2. aaroncurryisbust says: Jan 11, 2012 7:50 AM

He’ll never become a head coach ever again, and deservedly so. He talks WAY too much.

3. dasboat says: Jan 11, 2012 8:12 AM

Great guy. Not much of a resume for DC.

4. test2402 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:28 AM

He can be Tim Tebow’s assistant.

5. buckeye1nation says: Jan 11, 2012 8:48 AM

I like Raheem as a person and a personality, just not as a head coach. I think the league needs more people like him who are energetic, fun and good with the media. Someday he will be a good headcoach, it just wasn’t his time. The Bucs tried to catch lightning in a bottle with him and it backfired big time. I hope he doesn’t come back to bite us in the a$$ in the future.

6. steve7921 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:48 AM

He was the DC in Tampa the past two plus seasons in addition to being the head coach!

7. pir8life says: Jan 11, 2012 8:59 AM

Um.. he was the DC in Tampa…. he took a top 10 defense (12 years running and turned it into the worst in the league.

Sorry Rah, you are a really good position coach, nothing more.

8. bucforever says: Jan 11, 2012 9:29 AM

Those that say Morris “talks too” much must be Pats fans and are used to a no comment coach. As for Morris taking a position job, he should be still getting paid by the Bucs and sounds like he just wants to work. Good luck to him I say.

9. quittsburghstoolers says: Jan 11, 2012 12:10 PM

The Titans need a DBs coach.

But it looks like they may be hiring Brett Maxie of the Cowboys, if they get permission to talk to him.

Bad move (IMO). They should try for Morris instead…