Todd Bowles will interview with Raiders

Todd Bowles AP

It’s believed that Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie will wind up hiring one of his former co-workers from Green Bay to be the next Raiders coach.

McKenzie will interview some other coaches in the meantime while the Packers coaches work on winning a second straight Super Bowl.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that former Dolphins interim head coach Todd Bowles will interview for the Raiders job. Bowles interviewed for the top job in Miami and met with the Cowboys about their head coaching job last year.

Bowles got interest from the Rams, but never interviewed.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Todd Bowles will interview with Raiders”
  1. kya_tropic_fan says: Jan 11, 2012 7:35 PM

Clearly the Dolphins didnt want him, so he might as well give the Raiders a shot. Did the Dolphins even let him pack up his stuff, or was it waiting for him in boxes in the back of a moving truck after the last game…

2. trbowman says: Jan 11, 2012 7:40 PM

Bowles finished 2-1, nearly 3-0 if they held on against New England.

3. raiderlyfe510 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:41 PM

Amazing teams aren’t interviewing Pete Carmichael Jr…thats the Joe Gibbs of the NFL coaching pool.

4. bearsstillsuck says: Jan 11, 2012 7:44 PM

Good. Stay away from the packers.

5. skylark70455 says: Jan 11, 2012 7:54 PM

kya_tropic_fan says: “Clearly the Dolphins didnt want him, so he might as well give the Raiders a shot.”

Yes, clearly. That’s why they denied the Ram’s the opportunity to interview Bowles when it was requested last week.

Wonder whats changed between last week and this week? Or is it the Dolphins just like the Raiders better than the Rams – since the Raiders weren’t interviewing Fisher?

kya_tropic_fan says: “Did the Dolphins even let him pack up his stuff, or was it waiting for him in boxes in the back of a moving truck after the last game…”

B.S.

6. joj0420 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:24 PM

ahh the rooney rule strikes again. teams are just interviewing him to fulfill that rule good luck

7. lostking1 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:24 PM

Minority interview out of the way. Wasn’t hue Jackson the minority interview a while back?
    I liked hue. I liked the passion and the commitment but new GM equals clean house time! Let’s get this one right this time, put all the pieces together model what new Orleans and Indy do. Quality players and staff and put a proud franchise back on the winning trail. Too long of a drought ! It has been embarrassing !

8. finsrule2222 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:32 PM

well for those saying this satisfies the rooney rule and thats the only reason theyre doing it. the guy known as the favorite for the job “winston moss” is an african american. so clearly theyre somewhat interested.

also the reason the dolphins didnt let him interview with the rams last week was because it wasnt for a head coaching position. teams can prohibit coaches from interviewing with other teams when its a lateral move without an advanced position, such as coordinator or head coach. so nothing changed, but now its for a head coaching job.

he’s apparently pretty well respected around the league, and I hope the Dolphins keep this guy around.

9. justwinbaby29 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:49 PM

Not fair to say it’s only because of the Rooney Rule. Winston Moss is likely to be interviewed anyway with Darren Perry. Boles would be an interesting choice – Miami seemed to play hard for him.

10. radrntn says: Jan 11, 2012 8:51 PM

time will tell, until then who cares

11. boknowsvt says: Jan 11, 2012 9:01 PM

If we hire him, maybe he can give us some insight on how to beat the Dolphins as they’ve whipped us in the last two meetings. Badly I might add.

12. seabass417 says: Jan 11, 2012 9:07 PM

If Winston Moss, who is black, is on the short list for potential HC hires for Reggie McKenzie, who is also black, how could this possibly be an infamous Rooney Rule qualifier? Not to mention that Darren Perry (also black) is also a definite possibility. Yeah, the Rooney rule has become a bit of a punch line, but I highly doubt that’s what’s happening here.

13. war27 says: Jan 11, 2012 9:07 PM

I’m not so sure they have interest in Winston Moss as the head coach. Hopefully the interest is in making him DC.

14. raiderapologist says: Jan 11, 2012 9:09 PM

joj0420 says: Jan 11, 2012 8:24 PM

If the Raiders aren’t exempt from the Rooney rule, they should be. Davis was definitely ahead of the curve in that area.

15. conseannery says: Jan 11, 2012 9:35 PM

As a Dolphins fan, I wish him well. For three games, he was a breath of fresh air after Tony’s fist-pumping histrionics.

16. westcoastraider says: Jan 11, 2012 9:56 PM

All I know is Mckenzie better not try and change Raider Nation into some wanna be ass green bay packers,

17. r8danation says: Jan 11, 2012 9:58 PM

Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie Was’nt Lying When He Said He Had A Short List Of Possible Coaches…Who’s Next?
    RAIDER NATION!!!!!!

18. justwinbaby29 says: Jan 11, 2012 10:34 PM

“All I know is Mckenzie better not try and change Raider Nation into some wanna be ass green bay packers”

I’m a big Raiders fan. After the past nine years of crap I just wanna win.

Green Bay the past 19 years (roughly the same time McKenzie got there) has made the playoffs 14 times, has a winning percentage of .638 in the regular season, has 16 playoff win, 3 SB trips and 2 SB championships.

I’ll take being Green Bay “west” anyday.

Just win, baby!

19. lamass44 says: Jan 11, 2012 10:49 PM

If I remember correctly McKenzie and Bowles both played for the Redskins back in the late 80s. Were they teammates?

20. dubblelznhell says: Jan 11, 2012 10:49 PM

Bowles never had a shot in Dallas. Don’t know why it was mentioned. I dont know why it was even mentioned or why it suggests Bowles credibility is more ripe than is evident. It was a walk-through Rooney interview. Jones was never going to hire him and I bet the interview didn’t last past the introductory handshake.

21. bittersportspills says: Jan 11, 2012 11:17 PM

westcoastraider says: Jan 11, 2012 9:56 PM

===================================================

I swear, as a Raiders fan, some of our fans have no sense. Wouldn’t want to get into that “scoring-at-will offense; get a stop on defense at least occasionally” thing, would we? I guess not. It’s why Green Bay has won a title this century and is a solid threat to do it again. Meanwhile, we’re brushing up against a decade of not even making the playoffs. But we sure showed them who was tough with all the penalties, huh?

RaidersFan, it’s time to accept change. 8-8 is not good enough. I hope McKenzie will finally bring in guys who know how to play football versus track stars who need at least two years of on the job training.

22. mikeeg says: Jan 11, 2012 11:30 PM

I am not a huge Hue Kackson guy, but is Bowles really a improvement? Sounds mediocre. Get a big name guy, Reggie.

23. robertbudddwyer says: Jan 11, 2012 11:50 PM

I think if any team shouldn’t have to comply with the Rooney Rule, its the Raiders. Let’s ignore the whole Raiders hired the first black coach (Art Shell), the first Hispanic coach (Tom Florres), and the first female executive (Amy Trask); but a black GM (McKenzie) fired a black coach (Jackson) and is looking at 2 black candidates (Bowles and Moss)….

24. seabass417 says: Jan 12, 2012 12:16 AM

“I’m a big Raiders fan. After the past nine years of crap I just wanna win.
    I’ll take being Green Bay “west” anyday.
    Just win, baby!”

Well said, justwinbaby29!

25. doitbigreggiemckenzie says: Jan 12, 2012 12:17 AM

Yes, God forbid we actually have a good team here. Things have been going so well for the past decade, I really hope Mckenzie doesn’t build the Raiders into a respectable team again.

26. tatum064 says: Jan 12, 2012 1:30 AM

raiderlyfe510 says:
    Jan 11, 2012 7:41 PM

=================

I think thats more Sean Payton overseeing, and Carmichael Jr. calling plays, it is interesting to think if he could re-work Carson Palmer’s approach and reduce the picks and spread the ball around.

27. tatum064 says: Jan 12, 2012 2:00 AM

seabass417 says:
    Jan 12, 2012 12:16 AM
    “I’m a big Raiders fan. After the past nine years of crap I just wanna win.
    I’ll take being Green Bay “west” anyday.
    Just win, baby!”