Dom Capers could get another coaching shot, in Oakland

Super Bowl XLV - Media Day Getty Images

Twice before, Dom Capers has worked as a head coach.  On both occasions, he was employed by expansion teams.

It’s likely fitting, then, that Capers could become the next coach in Oakland, which has a sort-of expansion feel right now, as the football operation undergoes a fairly radical change.

Per Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, the former Panthers and Texans coach and current Packers defensive coordinator has emerged as a candidate for the Raiders’ recently-vacated coaching job.  The connection to new Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie is obvious, given that both men have spent the last three seasons together in Green Bay.  But Capers’ defense allowed more passing yards and more total yards than any other defense in the NFL this season.

Dolphins interim head coach Todd Bowles will interview for the job Friday, and Packers assistant head coach/inside linebackers coach Winston Moss continues to be regarded as a potential candidate to replace Hue Jackson.

Neither Capers nor Moss can be interviewed or hired until the Packers’ season ends.  They could have been interviewed during the bye week, but the Raiders had yet to bid adieu to Hue.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
52 Responses to “Dom Capers could get another coaching shot, in Oakland”
  1. mrcosio says: Jan 12, 2012 10:43 PM

I like Dom, but I’d rather go with a young hungry coach

Bring on Winston Moss

2. colinsnooks says: Jan 12, 2012 10:44 PM

Dom Capers is a strange but cool name isn’t it? I assume it’s short for Dominic? If he went by Nic Capers it’d be even cooler.

3. Xenu D. Alien says: Jan 12, 2012 10:50 PM

Teams playing with a big lead often give up a lot of passing yards in garbage time, that doesn’t really mean anything.

4. mwcarolina says: Jan 12, 2012 10:51 PM

if Capers is hired, for Oakland’s and Caper’s sake, he better hope 3rd time’s a charm.

5. duanethomas says: Jan 12, 2012 10:52 PM

A joke. I’m so tired of these retreads. Get another dummy not the same old dummies. Com Capers??? Please…..Todd Bowles has been around the block a few times also. Get new blood!

6. tomsd1 says: Jan 12, 2012 10:52 PM

You do some good stuff – but this is totally horseshxx. Why would the Raiders hire this retread?

7. tatum064 says: Jan 12, 2012 10:53 PM

A long shot, in that Capers would return to the sidelines in his 60s, but a good choice because he would be regarded enough to get better assistants, and could get quite a few players over as well. Capers, Moss, Bowles all much better candidates than the usual people Al Davis used to interview.

Things looking up for the first time in a decade.

8. frankgarrett says: Jan 12, 2012 10:58 PM

Seeing the Raiders run the same 3-4 would be like watching Espn First Take . Garbage

9. medtxpack says: Jan 12, 2012 11:00 PM

Capers is better as a DC than he will be as a HC. Nurture and thrive in GB, look whats on the other side of the ball!!

10. lostking1 says: Jan 12, 2012 11:04 PM

If Mark Davis, Reggie Mckenzie and Dom don’t go to the same barber shop I would be surprised!

11. raiderraffeal says: Jan 12, 2012 11:10 PM

I just don’t see it. DC maybe but he has failed twice as a HC. DON’T DO IT REGGIE!!!! I like the idea of bringing in Moss as HC and Perry as DC. No RETREADS PLEASE!!!!

12. Deb says: Jan 12, 2012 11:17 PM

That’s hysterical! I just used him as an example of someone who’s finally realized it’s better to be a great coordinator than a mediocre head coach. Love Capers, but he’s better as a DC.

13. rdr4lif says: Jan 12, 2012 11:24 PM

So why are we getting conflicting information fellas? Wade Phillips CAN interview even though his team has a playoff game, but Capers and Moss cannot? Could someone clarify this clearly conflicting information please. Amazing the same sight could, within several posts, send such inconsistent information out without even recognizing the confusion.

14. thinwhiteduke76 says: Jan 12, 2012 11:25 PM

I don’t know if I’d go with him when his defense is ranked 32nd overall and set records for sucking this year. Really, how hard could that be to screw up? Go watch Green Bay’s defense and you see exactly why I don’t think he’s ready to be a head coach again. I like Capers, but something has got to give when your defense is ranked 32nd overall and gave up the most passing yards ever in Packer franchise history.

15. dawsonleery says: Jan 12, 2012 11:31 PM

Dom Campers could be a good fit in Oakland….Its kind of hard to judge Capers as a Head Coach, his stint in Houston was a mess, drafting David Carr was the beginning of the end. Raiders are actually a pretty talented team with a lot of young players with a nice mix of veterans.

16. childressrulz says: Jan 12, 2012 11:56 PM

no way. leave capers alone.

17. shlort says: Jan 12, 2012 11:58 PM

Capers is one of the best defensive coordinaters in the league. Dont let the stats fool anyone. Capers has a method to his madness. He hasnt been around the NFL for as long as he has because people feel sorry for him.

18. milgbwisc says: Jan 13, 2012 12:07 AM

Oakland has so many more problems than the coaching position

19. Tom G says: Jan 13, 2012 12:16 AM

Dom capers as DC? Ok.Head coach?no thank you

20. textexington says: Jan 13, 2012 12:25 AM

15-1 haters. Rise above the hate,the Packers will set you free. Go Pack Go!!!

21. askbri says: Jan 13, 2012 12:29 AM

Dom Capers stunk in Carolina. He stunk in Houston. …If he’s got good players already on the roster, he can coach. But he’s horrible at evaluating talent, unless talent is already in place.

Good coordinator. Average head coach. Very bad hair doo.

Side note: A guy who tries to cover up a bald head with an ugly swoop lacks the self-awareness needed to coach a team through adversity.

Dom, dude, don’t you know everybody can see that ugly thing on your head!? The jig is up, man!

22. forever8young says: Jan 13, 2012 12:33 AM

Let me get this out of the way: I’m a Niners fan.

Having said that, I want to see the Raiders do well. It’s good for the Bay Area, California and the NFL as a whole. GM Reggie McKenzie did a radio interview today and I gotta tell ya, I was NOT impressed. In fact, if he didn’t have Wolf and Madden’s blessing, I’d be downright concerned. As for Dom Capers, I think he would be a great fit in Oakland. A no-nonsense type guy who would demand professionalism from his players and instill a culture of discipline.

23. tdk24 says: Jan 13, 2012 12:42 AM

I would be happy with this hire. I have thought for a long time we needed a defensive minded HC. Plus, we could groom a younger coach to take over after 4 or 5 years, since he’s getting up there in age.

24. dubblelznhell says: Jan 13, 2012 12:52 AM

Nice to see Mackenzie is using the Rooney rule on Dom Capers.

25. buckybadger says: Jan 13, 2012 12:52 AM

I don’t think this would be a horrible hire. If I was a Oakland fan I would pull for Moss getting the job and he swiping Perry [GB Secondary Coach] to be the DC. Hopefully they don’t pouch the staff to bad.

26. packerstexansfan says: Jan 13, 2012 1:09 AM

How quickly everyone forgets. They were the #2 defense I believe last year. And tied for least points allowed. The loss of Jenkins in free agency, and of Collins to injury have really hurt this team. And it doesn’t help that the any of the LBs opposite of Clay have not performed as they did last year. They gave up tons of yards this year, with many being garbage time yards. They were middle of the Pack in the actual stat that matters: points allowed. Oh, and they lead the league in interceptions, and #2 in turnovers. When will people learn that you can’t look at a single stat to get the whole picture? That being said, I hope he doesn’t go. He’s done a great job for us.

27. bleed4philly says: Jan 13, 2012 1:38 AM

Wait, what’s green bay’s defensive ranking this year?

28. ahs2 says: Jan 13, 2012 1:40 AM

I think Reggie Mac should gut the Packers for all he can!!!

Sincerely,
    A Lions Fan LOL!

29. raideralex99 says: Jan 13, 2012 1:41 AM

Okay I get it … everyone is jumping the Packers ship to go to the Raiders?
    Does this mean the Giants are winning this weekend?

30. gr8whte says: Jan 13, 2012 1:47 AM

This is why the giants will win.

31. realfootballfan says: Jan 13, 2012 1:56 AM

Yes, that was a great reason to fire Hue Jackson, lol.

The Raiders are a joke, solidified now that the elder DAvis, obviously unable to maintain his previous brilliance in his latter years, has left his life’s work to his dufus of a son.

You think you’re about to become Green Bay West, more like Cincinnati West Raider fans, lol. The biggest thing that kept coming up in the McKenzie presser was “young and cheap.”

Like I used to say when Raider fans and others ripped Al Davis as he withered away, careful what you wish for, lol.

32. ihateyoujeff says: Jan 13, 2012 2:18 AM

Dom has said before he doesn’t want to be a head coach again and is content with what he feels he’s best at, being a defensive coordinator. Until he says he’s a candidate himself I’m not believing it.

33. dillinger702 says: Jan 13, 2012 3:13 AM

I’d rather see the raiders hire bill romanski as lb coach then build staff around that. Let bush get his payday somewhere eles, and trade half of these overpaid bums. To get our draft picks back. Jus u watch raiders go back 2 los angeles n make the nfl respect the silver and black again!

34. tatum064 says: Jan 13, 2012 4:29 AM

frankgarrett says:
    Jan 12, 2012 10:58 PM

=============

Yeah, especially since we were among the first to run it (along with NYG) and won a Super Bowl the last time we run it.

FAIL

35. dougy1970 says: Jan 13, 2012 4:40 AM

Would Oakland also have to sign the dead squirrel on Capers’ head?

36. chuckyd317 says: Jan 13, 2012 6:07 AM

Dom has a historical trend of turning defenses around to a Top 5 D, then falling off a cliff 3-4 years later

37. daveyjones1 says: Jan 13, 2012 6:19 AM

So Capers and Moss can be interviewed on Monday then?

Go Big Blue!!!

38. walla2raidersfan says: Jan 13, 2012 8:17 AM

omfg. reading this article is making my stomach turn. i hope i’m having a bad dream & will wake up to see HuJax in the driver’s seat….

39. blizzard01 says: Jan 13, 2012 8:25 AM

Capers’ hair color is called “midnight”- says so right on the box.

40. snoop24 says: Jan 13, 2012 9:09 AM

Green Bay will be exposed in the playoffs at some point. The offense will sputter and then they will have to rely on a non-existent running game and a porous defense to win. Won’t happen. Smoke and mirrors baby and they will be exposed.

41. realitypolice says: Jan 13, 2012 9:12 AM

Any time you can hire a guy who is currently presiding over the worst defense in the entire NFL to be your head coach, that’s a move you have to make.

42. jessethegreat says: Jan 13, 2012 9:33 AM

Leave Green Bay’s coaches alone! By all means take shots at them and don’t give them any credit for the 15 wins this year, but leave them where they are.

43. minnesconsin says: Jan 13, 2012 10:01 AM

forever8young says:
    Jan 13, 2012 12:33 AM
    Let me get this out of the way: I’m a Niners fan.

————————–

Give the guy a chance. Most Packers fans were thoroughly unimpressed by the Ted Thompson hire. We were glad Mike Sherman was stripped of his GM duties, but at the time there was a sense that Ted was going to ruin the team. He’s worked out pretty well.

Not sure if Reggie’s cut from that same block, but I imagine he’s learned a thing or two from Wolf and Thompson over the years.

44. thatstinks says: Jan 13, 2012 10:44 AM

I doubt he will get hired . I think McKenzie just wants to interview a white candidate .

45. radrntn says: Jan 13, 2012 11:24 AM

Well i have learned that nothing surprises me with the Raiders, and for now it’s In Reggie we trust. If Dom is “his guy” so be it…..Would be a 3-4 d with him..

46. gpack22 says: Jan 13, 2012 11:24 AM

Reggie’s learned from two of the best in Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson. Yes, you will hear young and cheap from McKenzie. Ted Thompson completely overhauled the Packers going this route. Drafting, trading back in draft for more picks, and the biggest of them all…a young and cheap HC (at that time). If you Bay area ppl recall McCarthy spearheaded that 49’er attack that ranked last or 2nd to last in total offense. That hire didn’t sit well with fans here in GB but Teddy showed us he’s knows better…..1 SB, 2 NFL Champ game, and 15-1 so far this yr.

Yeah, McKenzie isn’t the most personable guy but Ted Thompson sounds like Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller’s Day off during his pressers. The guy can pick talent and Raider’s fans should be thankful for that instead of wasted picks (J-Rus, DHB) or trading first round picks for washed up or over the hill guys (Palmer, Seymour). I will guarantee you will not see such shortsighted moves from this regime.

Would you rather start winning football games, Division titles, etc or keep the Raider Badboy Aura (Dysfunctional to the rest of the world actually) of drafting track stars, leading the league in penalties and finishing 8-8 (at best) and out of playoffs?

47. 1madr8r says: Jan 13, 2012 11:51 AM

hey, I have an idea…maybe they can start to make those “cheese head” hats in silver & black!! Am I the only Die-hard fan who see’s Hue’s departure as the “begining of the END”. NFL/Disneyland…Here come the Oakland Raiders!

48. packermilitia says: Jan 13, 2012 5:51 PM

He is an unbelievable coordinator……but I’m sorry…he is not head coach material.

49. bosoulja82 says: Jan 13, 2012 9:59 PM

I didnt read all the comments but this GM has to look in other places outside of GB. Alot of GreenBay success has come from the fact that they had a Hall Of Fame QB in Brett Favre and now they have a All Pro and MVP QB in Aaron Rodgers. Dom Capers has failed twice as head coach and his D isnt that impressive this yr. It seems like Mckenzie is just hiring his buddies from GB and not opening this search up. Its not like they even have a dynasty going over there. As I write this comment they only have 1 ring.

The last team that had a dynasty was the patriots and teams have tried to find head coaches off that team but NOT 1 OF THEM HAS WORKED OUT.

Crennel, Weis, Mcdaniel all failed as head coaches. Matt Cassel has pretty much failed as a $60 million dollar Qb from NE also.

All in all this mess Mckenzie is doing with just tryin to bring all these Packers to Oakland is sickening right now (if it works I will love him for it….lol) Open the search up..Its some talent out there in some strange places. He has to be open minded

50. tdk24 says: Jan 13, 2012 11:31 PM

Yes, the Giants are winning this weekend!

51. raidernorth says: Jan 14, 2012 11:23 AM

We hired Mckenzie to build an entire organization that currently as no resemblance to any normal NFL franchise.

Is it reasonable that the guy would look to the successful franchise he just left for possible positions to fill? Yeah.

Will he just hire because they’re from his old team? I doubt it. He’s supposed to be a good judge of talent and I doubt he cares where they come from as long as they fit the position.

Dom Capers wouldn’t be my choice based on his record as a head coach, but maybe he’s good at building a coaching structure which the Raiders need badly in this new post AD world.

52. raidernation77 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:16 AM

duanethomas says:
    Jan 12, 2012 10:52 PM

— I understand your point I really do. With that in mind I still believe Oakland needs to interview some good candidates. I agree that Dom Capers probably isn’t the answer, but the last time we went for new blood (Lane Kiffin) look where that got them.