Laurent Robinson wants to stay in Dallas

Elbert Mack,  Laurent Robinson AP

One of the more surprising success stories of the 2011 regular season was Cowboys wide receiver Laurent Robinson.

Robinson was signed off the street a week into the season after failing to make the Chargers in training camp and wound up catching 54 passes for 858 yards and 11 touchdowns. He became Tony Romo’s favorite target in the red zone and helped the Cowboys remain in contention for a playoff spot while Miles Austin missed time during the season.

Robinson’s biggest problem coming into this season was remaining healthy. He only played 21 games for the Falcons after they selected him in the third round of the 2007 Draft and got into just 17 contests after a trade sent him to the Rams in 2009. Health wasn’t a problem this season, though, and Robinson made the most of his chances.

That kind of production could make Robinson a hot commodity as a free agent this offseason, but it doesn’t sound like he’s looking to head to another team. During a Friday radio interview, Robinson said that his first priority is staying with Dallas.

“I think I fit in good here, you know, getting along good with the guys,” Robinson said, via Carlos Mendez of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “This is where I want to be. It doesn’t matter if I’m the No. 1, 2 or 3. I feel like I have a good fit here. Money doesn’t drive me to play this game. I play because I like to have fun. I think I have a good fit here with the Cowboys. Got a good group of receivers. Great QB. Witten. The o-line and defense. I think I fit in good here.”

Robinson is wise to keep fit in mind when making a decision like this. While money and the chance to be the man hold obvious allure,there have been many receivers who jumped to new teams and found they couldn’t replicate their success in a new offensive scheme.

Keeping Robinson around would enable the Cowboys to spend the offseason focused on more troubling areas. The offensive line and defense qualify, despite what Robinson had to say on Friday.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Laurent Robinson wants to stay in Dallas”
  1. trbowman says: Jan 13, 2012 4:41 PM

Hopefully he’s passed that.

2. seahawksfan25 says: Jan 13, 2012 4:49 PM

Good for Robinson. Hope he continues his success and plays well

3. speedlimit41 says: Jan 13, 2012 4:53 PM

Keep Robinson,get rid of Newman,James,Brooking and who ever else stunk it up on defense this year.

4. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jan 13, 2012 4:58 PM

I’ve been saying this for years!! More and more players leave their team for the big pay off. I mean yea an extra mil would be great but if you fit in a system that you know can do something.. I just don’t see why you don’t want to be a part of it.

5. suprinelolskins says: Jan 13, 2012 5:03 PM

Sensabaugh got a big extension, so it looks like the Cowboys are committed to mediocrity. Expect a deal for Robinson too.

6. gmen1987 says: Jan 13, 2012 5:06 PM

Strange that he doesn’t want to play or move to Buffalo.

7. noeffinway says: Jan 13, 2012 5:13 PM

yeah yeah….that all looks great on paper…..Until he notices how nice those bigger piles of greenbacks “fit” in his pocket.

8. duncanthecat says: Jan 13, 2012 5:15 PM

He could command Desean Jackson money with the season he had. Don’t buy the hype of I want to stay in Dallas and willing to give them a discount. Watch some team throw some good money at him. He’ll stay for the right amount.

9. trbowman says: Jan 13, 2012 5:24 PM

“Robinson has always had a lot of talent, but his health has been a major question mark.

Hopefully he’s passed that.”

Past*

10. isuhuskie says: Jan 13, 2012 6:00 PM

This is of course until some offers him a chance to be a #1 or #2 WR (and the paycheck that goes with it)… Like say the Bears.

11. suprinelolskins says: Jan 13, 2012 6:04 PM

‘He could command Desean Jackson money with the season he had’

___________________

Yeah, no

12. cowboysfan18 says: Jan 13, 2012 6:24 PM

I guess if our defense is going to stink up the joint, resign Robinson. Take an O lineman in the first and do what the Pats, Saints, and Pack do. Just out score other teams.
    Seems like if you have a good offense, a def that is decent in the redzone and gets turnovers, that is the new recipe for winning.

13. canjura says: Jan 13, 2012 6:34 PM

I was excited with Laurent Robinson when he first arrived to the STL. In 8 quarters (before his injury), he had 13 receptions, 167 receiving yards. He was strongly looking like the #1 receiver the Rams hadn’t had since Torry Holt got old… and then he gets hurt and misses the rest of the season and never regains his form the following year. Before any team signs him, remember his history: in Atlanta, he had a strong rookie season (more or less), appeared in 15 games, and then missed 9 the following year. As much of a fan as I am of the guy, his legs are made of something a little bit (not much) more resistant than glass.

14. romoscollarbone says: Jan 13, 2012 7:14 PM

He wants to take less to fit a system, good for him. He’s not the missing piece. Please get a physical press corner, A la Claiborne from LSU. a DE that can set the edge. And a rush OLB, Victor Butler isn’t him. And a GM to figure out which prospects actually fit the bill.

15. natelan69 says: Jan 13, 2012 7:18 PM

Was bummed to see you leave the Chargers. Good luck my friend.

16. bluestar12 says: Jan 13, 2012 8:21 PM

Get it done Jerry.

17. nokoolaidcowboy says: Jan 13, 2012 8:26 PM

Jerry will find a way to ruin this kid.

18. Ted says: Jan 13, 2012 8:31 PM

There’s those words again,”after failing to make the Chargers.”

19. nationalmediacansuckit says: Jan 13, 2012 9:01 PM

Money doesn’t drive me to play this game. I play because I like to have fun.
    ——————————————–
    Hey Robinson, this is (insert team). We will give you $10 mil over you current Cowboys offer.

Robinson: Where do I sign

20. pete387 says: Jan 14, 2012 1:23 AM

Robinson’s in a pretty good situation in Dallas, with a lot of single coverage as the #3 WR behind Austin and Bryant. If he signs elsewhere he could see his production decline sharply.

21. gavriloprincip33 says: Jan 14, 2012 4:45 AM

Yes of course Laurent; I see your point.

Stay in Dallas and be on a media-hyped, over-rated, underachieving team and all for less money…

Makes perfect sense!

22. arkadyrenko says: Jan 14, 2012 5:13 AM

Dear Jerry Jones,

Based on your job performance thus far, I have very little faith in your abilities as General Manager of the Dallas Cowboys. If you’d like to try to convince me you know what you’re doing, figure out a way to keep Laurent Robinson on the team.

23. 6thsense79 says: Jan 14, 2012 7:39 AM

In a sport where your next snap money is always a driving factor. It may not drive a player to play this game and to be fair I don’t believe money is the driving factor for most players in terms of playing the game but it most definitely IS the driving factor for most if not all players on where they play the game.

If the Cowboys are only willing to offer a $6 million contract for Robinson to be their 3rd receiver while the teams in desperate need of receiver help like the Bucs, Jaguars, Bears, Redskins, etch offer a contract in the $15 million range to be a number 1 or 2 where do you think Robinson will sign?

24. truecowboyfan says: Jan 20, 2012 1:29 AM

Once again, the UNDERRATED Tony Romo brings out the best in a receiver that nobody had faith in…