Tebow urges Denver’s Davids to conquer Goliath

Wild Card Playoffs - Pittsburgh Steelers v Denver Broncos Getty Images

As if there weren’t enough religious references and images enveloping the Denver Broncos and quarterback Tim Tebow, Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Tebow delivered a speech to his teammates on Saturday morning urging the team to play the role of David, against the Goliaths known as the Patriots.

Glazer says Tebow received a standing ovation for his passionate remarks.  In a few hours, we’ll find out whether it pushes the Broncos toward another postseason victory.

The formula for beating the Pats in the postseason is simple, albeit not necessarily easy.  The opponent needs to rattle the Patriots early, hitting and hurrying and flustering Tom Brady and knocking the offense out of a rhythm.  And so while it may take another Tebow heroic to deliver the win, the Broncos will pull this one off only if the defense can contain one of the best offenses in the league.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Tebow urges Denver’s Davids to conquer Goliath”
  1. horsemeat47 says: Jan 14, 2012 4:48 PM

If it’s inside the locker room he can say whatever he wants.

2. Brantley says: Jan 14, 2012 4:54 PM

Doesn’t matter. The Pats are playing for Myra.

Go Pats!!!

3. stevenfbrackett says: Jan 14, 2012 5:37 PM

That’s exactly what bothers people about Tebow. It isn’t that he’s made religion everything about him – it’s that he just won’t/can’t open his mouth without trying to shove it onto everyone else. It is both as annoying as the officemate who won’t shut up about ‘perfect’ kid and as disrespectful as most rap songs are to women.

4. pftcensorssuck says: Jan 14, 2012 6:02 PM

Will Tebow have more success against New England’s defense than Brady will against Denver’s?

There’s your answer.

5. jujububbajr says: Jan 14, 2012 6:12 PM

@stevenfbrackett let me tell you about a few buttons on your remote. There’s mute, channel up/down, and on/off. You can use any of these and not hear what Tebow has to say. I’m agnostic and seriously doubt the existence of God, but I have no problem with Tebow.

6. lanman11 says: Jan 14, 2012 6:27 PM

It may be in the lockerroom, but Tebow knows full well the media is in there. I am starting to feel like this has moved from naive young kid being brash about his faith, to corporate promotion of the Tebow Brand. It’s not just today’s speech that makes me think that. It’s almost like he’s looking for photo ops now. I like the kid. I just don’t like how this is going. I also heard he called them “the big bad Patriots” in his little speech It’s not WHAT he said that concerns me. It’s that it sounds like a mocking disrespect of a very accomplished opponent. I don’t like it.

7. TheWizard says: Jan 14, 2012 6:29 PM

Pats O line the key to the game.

Will they disappear as they have in recent playoff losses?

8. heyzeus143 says: Jan 14, 2012 6:31 PM

see you in hell :-)

9. spr217 says: Jan 14, 2012 6:50 PM

Consider the inversion of Tebow’s proselytizing:
    “First and foremost, I would like to thank myself, my teammates, and my coach, we did this all on our own, because their is no God, God is a superstition used to manipulate the masses. If it wasn’t for our superior ability and work ethic, both of which are due to genetics, which has to do with science, not religion, we never would have been able to pull this one off. Praise ourselves, God doesn’t exist, I’m going to bang a hooker and do some blow tonight!”
    People wouldn’t like that, would they?

10. orangeinmyblood says: Jan 14, 2012 7:23 PM

Stevenbrackett,

Your intolerance is pathetic.

Who cares? Who cares? So he prays on the field. So he references God.

Who cares?!?!?

I have never understood the intolerance for things that have zero impact on your own life.

Who. Cares.

11. broncfolife says: Jan 14, 2012 7:40 PM

One and done for the Pats. Denver won’t give away another one. Especially after the terrorizing Denver D benches Brady.

Smash um up Broncos….

12. kentonske says: Jan 14, 2012 7:59 PM

This has got to be the first time a reference to David and Goliath has been used in sports.

13. cleverbob says: Jan 14, 2012 9:57 PM

Maybe he should petition Buddha for his halftime speech…

14. dirtdawg55 says: Jan 14, 2012 11:46 PM

Lamentations 3:63 (Brady threw for 363 yards)! “look at them, sitting or standing, they mock me in their songs”. Fitting, given the pasting Brady put on Teblow and the Broncos.

What? After Teblow’s 316 yards last week everyone was talking about the biblical context. Figured that topic was still going on and wasn’t only appropriate when Teblow wins.

15. ahs2 says: Jan 15, 2012 1:57 AM

orangeinmyblood says:
    Jan 14, 2012 7:23 PM
    Stevenbrackett,

_________________________________

If you don’t understand the impact that religion has on society, you’re the pathetic one!

16. ahs2 says: Jan 15, 2012 1:57 AM

How’d that work out?!?!?! Goliath stepped on you…repeatedly!

17. ahs2 says: Jan 15, 2012 2:04 AM

spr217 says:
    Jan 14, 2012 6:50 PM
    Consider the inversion of Tebow’s proselytizing:
    People wouldn’t like that, would they?
    _________________________________

Since you slipped in that last stupid sentence and made challenges to religious people in order to rig your desired answer, I would say “No”.

But how about this:
    “First and foremost, I would like to thank myself, my teammates, and my coach. If it wasn’t for our superior ability and work ethic, we never would have been able to pull this one off.”

Removing your sabotage, it looks an awful like the winner’s cliche you hear at every presser, doesn’t it?!?! You have to do better than that!!

18. spr217 says: Jan 15, 2012 3:06 PM

I’m going to hit the literal button here so that we’re speaking the same language: I was embellishing for the sake of a joke. That being said, I would love to see the uproar that would be caused by an atheist athlete that was as vocal about his beliefs as Tebow. Anytime you want to fairly decide if something is appropriate, just flip the script. Proselytizing is rude and annoying, and deserves to be mocked (just as any non-believer deserves, and rightfully would, be castigated for aggressively espousing his views every time someone put a microphone in front of his face). The debate has little to do with religion and everything to do with tact.

19. gingerkid2000 says: Jan 16, 2012 12:25 PM

Bronco fans are funny when they lose.