Zimmer could get second interview in Miami

Mike Zimmer AP

With Jeff Fisher out of the mix, the Dolphins need to move on during their coaching search.

That could include a second interview with Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. ┬áJason La Canfora of NFL Network reports he’s hearing “strong buzz” about Zimmer’s first interview with the Dolphins and that he may take a return trip.

Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland and Zimmer worked together in Dallas. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said the team was also looking to talk to coaches that were still active in the playoffs.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Zimmer could get second interview in Miami”
  1. autumnwind999 says: Jan 14, 2012 1:16 PM

Prediction: Zimmer will land the Miami job. Hue Jackson will be his offensive coordinator.

Great hires for Miami.

Love Hue and will miss him in Oakland.

2. miamike says: Jan 14, 2012 1:25 PM

GREAT!!! Just what Miami needs…………. Another Cowboy’s retread.

3. cantonbound13 says: Jan 14, 2012 1:34 PM

Great, another former Dallas guy. Does Jeff Ireland know there are 30 more teams out there? I’m sure a defensive guy will upgrade our predictable, poor offense. Makes a lot of sense.

4. thraiderskin says: Jan 14, 2012 1:40 PM

I really think he has a good thing going in Cincinnati. Think of the team they could field now that they have two first round picks. Stay the course Zimmer, your team and fans appreciate you; from an outsider’s perspective.

5. Sometimes Interesting says: Jan 14, 2012 1:44 PM

I actually feel better about the coach search now that Jeff Fisher is out of the picture.

6. suprinelolskins says: Jan 14, 2012 1:44 PM

Zimmer’s been a good coordinator in Cincy for a while. I’d take a chance on him over Fisher

7. bchapman2011 says: Jan 14, 2012 1:45 PM

People make too much of the Dolphins going after Dallas players/coaches. It happens all of the time in the NFL. Look how the Jets and Patriots poach our players and coaches on a regular basis.
    Ireland has misfired on seveal Dallas retreads but what would you suggest now? Do they ignore all future players and coaches from Dallas just because we have hired several that have not panned out?

8. willjasper says: Jan 14, 2012 1:45 PM

As long as Ireland is there you’re only going to be able to lure a second tier candidate. Might as well get Zimmer under contract so he can get a start on interviewing possible coordinators. He is the brightest of the remaining candidates left.

9. brenenostler says: Jan 14, 2012 1:52 PM

@ autumnwind999

That’s a very good prediction right there. I’m also gonna add this: Jason Campbell signs with the team and Chad Henne goes into free agency.

10. cubano76 says: Jan 14, 2012 1:55 PM

I think Zimmer might be the best out of everyone I’ve read about so far.

11. farvefromover says: Jan 14, 2012 2:02 PM

Stay in Cincy Zimmer

12. midwestfan says: Jan 14, 2012 2:13 PM

Zim deserves a HC gig I would hate to see him leave Cincy.

13. thetooloftools says: Jan 14, 2012 2:24 PM

Why isn’t Brian Billick in this mix. is he toxic or something?
    He must Love his job.. because he still could be an answer for some teams. I know it.

14. scyankee9999 says: Jan 14, 2012 2:24 PM

If he was a better candidate then Sparono don’t you think the Tuna would have thought about him when he was here. Dallas rejects are now Miamis first pick. That’s why Fisher didnt get the job-so they could find someone who’s buddy enough to be Irlands puppet.

15. droopyyydog1 says: Jan 14, 2012 2:34 PM

All I have to say is NO to this !!! It’s the same reason I didn’t want Fisher. These guys play 1980′s football and that isn’t going to cut it in the NFL now a day, thats why the Jets are home for the playoffs. If they want to hand it over to a defensive guy then either promote Nolan or give it to Todd Bowles and move on.

I would rather see them hire Chudzinski or Philbin so that maybe Matt Moore could move to the next level. So far he has only played for the old guard, Sparano and Fox, and done fairly well for himself. Personally I would like to see Daboll stay since Moore played better this year than any other but that would mean hiring Bowles.

16. bulldogslc says: Jan 14, 2012 2:35 PM

Way more excited about Zimmer than Fisher…Fins already been midocre for far too long…it’s time to take a chance….why not interview Chud? Better yet, I would love to see what he can do in Carolina in the next year, so nix that!

17. uscfan1988 says: Jan 14, 2012 2:36 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but didnt ireland bring in matt moore and reggie bush. And with his first draft on his own drafted solid players including charles clay who made plays late in the year? Daniel Thomas was good before all the injuries. I think ireland gets too much blame for a lot of the tunas mistakes. Btw I think zimmer is a fantastic coach he’s been solid as far as i.can rememeber

18. whodeydaytonchapter says: Jan 14, 2012 2:40 PM

Zimmer is a heck of a coach. I wish him the best of luck but we are gonna take a step back without him. Too bad Rex Ryan is finally getting exposed as blow hard. Otherwise the hot former Cowboy coaching prospect would be Rob “Hippie Hair” Ryan. I think he would be exposed the same way but at least Cincy would hang on to a great coach.

19. dolphins4 says: Jan 14, 2012 2:47 PM

Hire Philbin as head coach ,he comes from a team who knows how to win Super Bowls.If you hire Zimmer it would mean 3 more years of being bad.

20. thingamajig says: Jan 14, 2012 2:52 PM

He’s been an NFL coach since 1994 and started coaching college in 1979. 32 years and never a HC has me wondering why. Another great DC but suspect as a HC?

21. spartan572 says: Jan 14, 2012 2:54 PM

OK…Maybe Ross should either fire Ireland and hire Jerry Jones to be the Dolphins new GM or the Fins should reconsider their logo and have the dolphin jumping infront of the Dallas star. What in the world…not all available talent runs through Dallas first!!

22. fissels says: Jan 14, 2012 3:01 PM

Zimmer is a good man. He and Ireland know each other and would probably work well together

23. gridassassin says: Jan 14, 2012 3:13 PM

Two words I never think of when I think “young Don Shula”: Mike Zimmer.

24. FinFan68 says: Jan 14, 2012 3:17 PM

The penchant for looking to former Dallas Cowboys personnel is a little disturbing. I have no qualms with Zimmer but it is starting to look like Parcells, Sparano and now Ireland have been doing “favors” for guys that may have helped them “deal” with things in Jerry’s world rather than honestly/competently assessing talent for the betterment of the Dolphins. It’s like Sparano and Ireland got their jobs solely on their relationship with Parcells. Many of the players were acquired for no apparent reason whatsoever. Carpenter, Olshansky, Columbo…really?

I do not doubt that Zimmer is a very good DC but if he is that great of a HC prospect why has he not been hired as a HC in the last 25 years?

Time for Ross/Ireland to put their pride in check, get rid of whatever petty issues they have and at least give Billick an honest/fair look.

25. drbandkgb says: Jan 14, 2012 3:36 PM

I think the Bengals need to step up and keep him… Make Lewis at GM or something meaningless..

Make The ZIM our next head coach!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!

26. thesmedman says: Jan 14, 2012 3:41 PM

I agree that Mike Zimmer has the potential to be a good HC given the fine work he’s done previously. He certainly deserves the shot (probably deserved it in Dallas some time ago). Hue Jackson as OC might be interesting, too.

I also agree with the comment about Brian Billick, whom I would choose (and would have chosen over Fisher). But it might be the “control” issue there, too, since clearly Ross will not give up on the Parcells/Ireland paradigm. Not sure if that’s good or bad, but I do commend Ross for sticking to the concept oif a GM. Marty Schottenheimer would be a fine choice – not quite sure why he hasn’t been more on radar except in Tampa. He’s an excellent HC.

I’d also look at established college HC’s since I do think they need to get someone with HC experience. Not the usual suspects, either. Mack brown would be a good NFL HC in my opinion. Reminds me a lot of John Robinson.

The comments on the Ross/Ireland thing from the blog owners here are a little annoying. It sounds like crowing on the fact you weren’t fed infornation previously. Just report or comment.

27. dolphins4 says: Jan 14, 2012 3:45 PM

The only coach I’d take from Dallas is Tom Landry if he was still alive.Maybe they ought to see if Jimmy Johnson would come out of retirement.If they hire Zimmer maybe Ross will learn his lesson when the stands are empty foe every game.

28. 305fan says: Jan 14, 2012 3:50 PM

We need an Offensive minded coach. We need to setup an interview with Chudzinski. He made D. Anderson a probowler and Cam Newton has turned out to be a decent QB as well.

29. miamiron says: Jan 14, 2012 3:56 PM

uscfan1988 says:
    ***********************************************
    I “think” you THINK too much!!!

30. sungateman says: Jan 14, 2012 4:02 PM

I do like the idea of Marvin the GM, and Zim the head coach. Come on Man, I mean Mike!!

31. punish22 says: Jan 14, 2012 4:06 PM

Fire freakin Ireland!!!!!! He sucks!

Shoela knows all!

32. vanmorrissey says: Jan 14, 2012 4:16 PM

Was thinking Norv would be canned and Zimmer given a chance in SD, what they needed since O seems to be set and the D needs an attitude adjustment. He’s a good man, hope he gets the shot and it works out.

33. fearthebengaltiger says: Jan 14, 2012 4:24 PM

as a bengals fan, the selfish side of me wants him to stay. he has turned this d with no names into a top 5-10 d…..but i want him to be as successful as he can be, if that means him being a head coach then good luck and thanks for everything zimm!

34. whodeybytches says: Jan 14, 2012 4:59 PM

Our young defense NEEDS YOU Zimm! We’ve got a great think building here in Cincy! Now that I’ve got my selfish feelings outta the way, I wish you the best no matter what you choose. Ur a HELL of a coach and u definately deserve and HC position…….but I’d still like to see ya be our head coach haha

35. 69finfan says: Jan 14, 2012 5:37 PM

Billicks name isn’t coming up as a candidate for anybody becuase obviously he doesn’t want to coach or doesn’t want to coach where there are currently openingsor and maybe more importantly he doesn’t want to coach in Miami. Shotty has been a HC for 26 seasons and has a pretty good regular season winning record at .615. His teams have been to the playoffs 13 of 26 seasons but his winning playoff record is only .278. Lets get an OC with some NFL cred that doesn’t qualify for AARP yet

36. wannstache says: Jan 14, 2012 11:35 PM

Nobody left out there is going to excite the fan base and put more people in the seats.

37. coachsemanko says: Jan 15, 2012 1:08 AM

A “Young Don Shula”, look no further than Don’s own son Mike. Look what he’s done in his career with QB’s. I think he deserves a shot at HC in Miami!