Matt Birk says he’s not retiring, yet

Indianapolis Colts v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

During Sunday’s Texans-Ravens pregame on CBS, Charley Casserly reported that Ravens center Matt Birk will retire after the 2011 season ends.

That was news to Matt Birk.

“No, I haven’t made that decision yet and I don’t know Charley Casserly,” Birk said after Sunday’s 20-13 win, according to Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times.  “I don’t even know who he is, I don’t know him, he didn’t talk to me.”

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that a decision won’t be made for several months.  Obviously, however, the final outcome of the Ravens’ season will have an impact on Birk’s thought processes, given that he could possibly pull off the rare Elway-Bettis-Strahan ride into the sunset with a Super Bowl trophy tucked under his arm.

I wonder if he’s from Detroit?

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Matt Birk says he’s not retiring, yet”
  1. tedmurph says: Jan 15, 2012 11:33 PM

Charley Casserly reported that Ravens center Matt Birk will retire after the 2011 season.

Grab a tee-time for next Monday.

2. shl4vikes says: Jan 15, 2012 11:35 PM

He’s from St. Paul brainiac

3. borisbulldog says: Jan 15, 2012 11:35 PM

No news here.

Another has been NFL player milking a team for million plus dollar paycheck!

4. ttommytom says: Jan 15, 2012 11:43 PM

Shouldn’t that be ‘ I wonder if he is from Indy’? Unless there is some joke about him playing for his home town Vikings all those years I missed.

5. golonger says: Jan 15, 2012 11:44 PM

borisbulldog = moron!

6. habsman says: Jan 15, 2012 11:45 PM

Didn’t this guy report that Randy Moss was traded because he and Brady argued over hair styles?

I wouldn’t call Charlie reliable.

7. mistersmith22 says: Jan 15, 2012 11:47 PM

borisbulldog, calling Birk a has-been means you don’t watch football. He’s been the anchor of several very good lines for a very long time, and this year especially was something unique thanks to the new personnel, the position changes, and the injuries. He’s also one of the most selfless, most charitable men in the league.

8. mikedrake00 says: Jan 15, 2012 11:51 PM

@shl4vikes…. Do you understand sarcasm? He wasn’t really asking if Birk was from Detroit? Brainiac!

9. dlew2191 says: Jan 15, 2012 11:54 PM

Casserly: “Ravens center Matt Birk will retire after the 2011 season ends.”

Birk: “No, I haven’t made that decision yet and I don’t know Charley Casserly.”

Belichick: “”Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins?”

10. vikesfansteve says: Jan 15, 2012 11:54 PM

I wanted him to stay with the Vikings. Thanks Childress.

11. davikes says: Jan 15, 2012 11:54 PM

Birk is from St. Paul MN. If he does win it, he will be one of many former Vikings players and coaches who have won a ring before the Vikings. Coaches – Billick, Tomlin, Dungy. (The sad part is we kept Denny Green but let Dungy move on, and kept Brad Childress but let Tomlin go.) Mewelde Moore got one with Steelers (or maybe two) and I think Tryone Carter was a db for the Steelers when they beat the Seahawks. I’m sure theres more…

12. pftcensorssuck says: Jan 15, 2012 11:55 PM

“Who’s wrong more than Charley Casserly?”

13. swagger52 says: Jan 15, 2012 11:56 PM

He won’t retire. Worst case he would be picked up by the Steelers because he has finally reached their target age for players.

14. ravensfan4life52 says: Jan 16, 2012 12:02 AM

that would suck if Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Matt Birk retired after this season

15. thekingdave says: Jan 16, 2012 12:05 AM

How Casserley has any job related to football blows my mind. Rode Joe Gibbs coattails in Washington, drafted David Carr in Houston over Julius Peppers, and other idiotic things such as dealing 2nd and 3rd rd picks for Phillip Buchanon.

16. jerrykill4pres says: Jan 16, 2012 12:34 AM

Whenever Birk decides to retire, he’s had a pretty good career. He was always one of the better centers in the league. Great player, great “team” attitude, and a great guy all around. He’s had a good career, and if he can retire without any major long term injury, that would be all the better.

17. oscojoe says: Jan 16, 2012 2:24 AM

Is this guy Casserly ever right?

He really throws out alot of S*** just to have something to say. ESPN, Fox & the NFL network insiders at least seem to be relevant on most stories.

NBC needs to ditch this guy and get somebody with credibilty

18. skolvikesskol says: Jan 16, 2012 2:29 AM

Birk=canton

19. matthewcarlson1 says: Jan 16, 2012 3:04 AM

Nobody can say anything against Matt Birk.. he is one of the most stand up guys in the league. As a long time Viking fan I hope he gets to do the Elway ride off into the sunset.. if anyone deserves it Birk does.

20. shl4vikes says: Jan 16, 2012 5:33 AM

We don’t use sarcasm in Detroit…

mikedrake00 | Jan 15, 2012, 8:51 PM PST

21. rayriceisnice says: Jan 16, 2012 5:56 AM

How are the ravens gonna beat the mighty patriots is the question

22. arbiterflick says: Jan 16, 2012 6:10 AM

Every year when the combine and draft roll around I’m filled with a sense of dread because I know it will be virtually impossible to avoid the nonsense of Charlie Casserly.

As Belichick once said, “Who’s been been wrong more than Charley Casserly?”

23. inbbwetrust12 says: Jan 16, 2012 6:46 AM

Bill Belichcik: “When has Charlie Casserly been right about anything?”

24. raiderredleg says: Jan 16, 2012 7:40 AM

Why the Vikings ever let Birk go is beyond me (especially after they kept Kliensausser FOREVER).

Great response by Birk (eventhough he probably does know who Casserly is). :)

With one lines like that when he REALLY retires the Raiders orgainzation should hire him to be their spokesman to deal with the BSPN “False Rumor Mongers” and Silver from YEAHOO Sports.

25. burnzy32 says: Jan 16, 2012 8:19 AM

its in reference to the announcers stating Jerome Bettis was from Detroit THE ENTIRE game and how much of a good story it was and blah blah blah……go Lions!

26. chatham10 says: Jan 16, 2012 8:29 AM

Birk has to retire so Casserly the insider will not look bad, I’m pretty sure Birk knows who Casserly is and does not care who he is.

27. factoryofsadness says: Jan 16, 2012 8:42 AM

Who is Matt Birk? I guess I should read the article, but I’ve never heard this name in my life. Bum.

28. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jan 16, 2012 10:50 AM

Casserly never could wash that Redskin filth off of himself. Once a dirty skin always a dirty skin.

29. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jan 16, 2012 10:52 AM

factoryofsadness says: Jan 16, 2012 8:42 AM

_______

Just one of the best centers in the game. But we know you only follow position players because you’re just an ignorant bandwagon type of fan. You reek of western Pennsylvania.