Packers catch a break as Coughlin loses challenge on Jennings fumble

Washington Redskins v New York Giants Getty Images

When the Giants lost a hard-fought game to the Packers in the regular season, coach Tom Coughlin said after the game that he was sick to his stomach over what appeared to be a Giants touchdown catch that the officials ruled an incomplete pass.

Right now Coughlin must be feeling even sicker.

In the first quarter of today’s NFC divisional playoff game in Green Bay, Packers receiver Greg Jennings caught a pass from Aaron Rodgers and appeared to fumble just before he was tackled. Initially, the officials ruled it a fumble that the Giants recovered. And then after a brief discussion, the officials changed their minds and ruled that Jennings was down by contact.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin challenged, and it looked like he would win: The replay showed the ball starting to come out before Jennings was down. Stunningly, referee Bill Leavy reviewed the play and announced that it would stand as called. He did not explain why.

Former NFL head of officiating Mike Pereira said on the FOX broadcast that he couldn’t figure out why Leavy didn’t award the ball to the Giants.

“If I was under the hood I would have reversed this to a fumble with a clear recovery to the Giants and given the ball to the Giants,” Pereira said.

The ruling was extremely costly for the Giants, as the Packers would go on to score a touchdown on the possession that was extended by the bad call. The Packers caught a huge break in a game that’s currently tied 10-10.

Permalink 111 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
111 Responses to “Packers catch a break as Coughlin loses challenge on Jennings fumble”
  1. bp888 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:34 PM

Refs will decide the game..forget the teams

2. baous says: Jan 15, 2012 5:35 PM

Biggest BS call ever.

3. trbowman says: Jan 15, 2012 5:35 PM

How is Bill Leavy employed?

If I were that bad at my job I’d be out on my butt.

4. claymatthewsisonsteroids says: Jan 15, 2012 5:35 PM

The fix is in. What a joke!

5. cmcm2k says: Jan 15, 2012 5:35 PM

Unbelivable, I think this is the first time I have ever heard Pereria disagree with the call on the field. Rodgers vs brady is the nfl superbowl story line

6. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

7. inbillwetrust says: Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

absolute bogus call

8. vonmiller58 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

Nice to see Helen Keller officiating in this game today.

9. bobhk says: Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

NFL is rigging for the packers to win now that saints are out.

10. turillos says: Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

this will be that refs legacy. he should and probably will be fired.

11. dannyduberstein7 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

you know it’s a bad call when Pereira won’t even defend the decision.

12. horsecore says: Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

Total failure on the official. That was awful. Most calls can be ticky-tack in some sense but that was pretty black and white.

SMH.

13. djstat says: Jan 15, 2012 5:37 PM

Bill Leavy needs to be investigated for gambling

14. thatswhatimsayin says: Jan 15, 2012 5:37 PM

vikes fans have been dealing with this crap for years

15. dolphins4 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:37 PM

When I see a call like that in the playoffs it makes me think the playoffs are fixed.

16. claymatthewsisonsteroids says: Jan 15, 2012 5:37 PM

Giants 10, Packers 3, Refs 7. Close game so far!

17. dkeyser says: Jan 15, 2012 5:37 PM

how do you get it wrong on the field AND after replay????… There needs to be fines for the refs..

18. trbowman says: Jan 15, 2012 5:37 PM

“packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says:
    Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

Homer

19. totpackage says: Jan 15, 2012 5:38 PM

I see the refs are for greenbay just like pittsburgh they always get the Calls!!!

20. ninerdynasty says: Jan 15, 2012 5:39 PM

trbowman says: Jan 15, 2012 5:35 PM

How is Bill Leavy employed?

If I were that bad at my job I’d be out on my butt.
    ——————————————————-

You are absolutely right. This whole crew especially Leavy, are just horrible. I’ve seen them do some horrible calls.. on the niners vs cards games.. boy did they screwed up calls.. in one instance he couldnt even work the replay booth and came back saying that the replay equipment was defective. WTF!!!

21. bovice23 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:40 PM

What is the NFL’s policy on checking referee’s bank statements?

22. jgg1 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:40 PM

Not a Packers or Giants fan but Leavy must be a Packers fan. NFL needs to investigate this one.

23. tatum064 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:40 PM

That was awful….

then the Pack try that wacky onsides kick.

24. fresno500 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:40 PM

They are trying to give the game to GB worse than they tried to give it yesterday to Norleans.

25. eddddddd says: Jan 15, 2012 5:40 PM

Why bother having challenges if they are going to make calls like this?

26. goldrush36 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:41 PM

I actually want the pack to win this game, but the G-men got hosed

27. phillybirds says: Jan 15, 2012 5:41 PM

worst call ever… sometimes i wonder if the nfl is fixed. roger goodell want to see brady/rodgers?

28. zaggs says: Jan 15, 2012 5:41 PM

What a shocker, just like Ballard back in Week 13. NFL wants the Packers to win so the refs will gladly cost NY a touchdown with a replay review.

29. kotapug says: Jan 15, 2012 5:42 PM

That call proves that the NFL officials are as legit as pro boxing.

30. danielcp0303 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:42 PM

As a Cowboys fan I don’t wanna see the Giants win…but I want it done fairly. That was a terrible call, he’s clearly not on the ground yet and the ball is out.

31. daysend564 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:42 PM

This Packers victory brought to you by the letters R, E, and F.

32. otis45therealmvp says: Jan 15, 2012 5:42 PM

The NFL wants GB vs. NE. Btw one play can change the outcome. Ask David tyree

33. stairwayto7 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:42 PM

Not the refs fault..Goodell is the one who made the call!

34. facebookuser111 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:42 PM

Dont worry in five years he will admit he kicked the call…

35. jimyritz says: Jan 15, 2012 5:42 PM

Giants got screwed….Maybe NFL Headquarters should review calls in the playoffs…

36. zaggs says: Jan 15, 2012 5:43 PM

“packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

Thats not the rule. The rule is is the ball coming out before he’s down. To everyone including Goodell it was. But Roger called down and said give it to the Pack.

37. Pacific NW Mark says: Jan 15, 2012 5:43 PM

Tim Tebow aside, clearly Green Bay is the league’s ordained team.

First the call on the field is reversed to shift the burden of proof to the Giants that a turnover occurred. Then a clear shot of daylight underneath Jennings body with the ball out of his hand is dismissed as not conclusive.

There are 31 other teams who I’m sure would love to get the breaks the Packers seem to regularly receive.

38. capcorp3 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:43 PM

I Feel so sick right now what the @#$% are ref for then please explain to me? niners saints game they let BOTH teams just play!! this STINKS of screw job

39. bp888 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:43 PM

The ref changed the ruling on the field because he didn’t want the packers to use their final challenge..heads need to roll!!

40. omegalh says: Jan 15, 2012 5:43 PM

Worst call of the season. Where did these refs grow up? It was that bad.

41. dubitodd123 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:44 PM

The packers all ways get the calls they r so overrated it’s no joke they suck!!!!!!

42. gbiscottagecheesefatties says: Jan 15, 2012 5:44 PM

I just don’t see how it is possible to honestly come out and say he didn’t fumble that ball… the replay is in high def. slow motion, no excuses, needs to be fined… that was a HUGE no call and can cost a team a season.

43. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:44 PM

Refs cheating already.

44. savoirlaire says: Jan 15, 2012 5:44 PM

packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says:
    Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM

God you are a friggin moron…nice excuse, you pos!

45. childressrulz says: Jan 15, 2012 5:45 PM

I agree it looked like a fumble to me (Packer fan). I think the refs take offense to their calls being overturned on a regular basis. I think a lot of calls that should be overturned are not because of the refs hardheadedness.

46. ballsohard1130 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:46 PM

Worse call I’ve seen all year

47. purplefaithful says: Jan 15, 2012 5:46 PM

Why do we watch this crap? Maybe the WWE’s on somewhere. what a complete joke & a perfect example on why replay is a joke.

48. steviaquinn says: Jan 15, 2012 5:47 PM

Mike Periara is golden. Now when the refs screw up its all just a “judgement call”.

No Mike, it was a fumble according to the NFL rules and the refs blew the call

49. dinkdribbler says: Jan 15, 2012 5:48 PM

Sad part is GREEN-BAY’s fans will say how they dominated the Giants. Ignorant

50. n0hopeleft says: Jan 15, 2012 5:48 PM

Makes me want to sell my tickets and forget about the NFL A call of that magnitude getting blown is obsurd

51. facebookuser111 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:48 PM

Leavy was the head Ref in Superbowl XL a game so poorly officiated it even has its own section on Wikipedia.

52. calwilliams06 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:48 PM

Corruption is usual when so much money is at stake, but not often as obvious as this.

53. smurky28 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:48 PM

Typical game at Lambeau, you have to play both the Packers and the refs, how they called that down by contact with the replay flabbergasted me! Huge implication on the game after GB scores! I would be livid if I was Coughlin.

54. gunner49 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:48 PM

There should be a Senate investigation into why the Fudge Packers get EVERY call in this league. They are the NFL darlings, right up there with the Steelers.

Absolute horsecrap call that really wasn’t even close.

55. kotapug says: Jan 15, 2012 5:48 PM

And a late hit on Eli goes uncalled also. This game is going to be decided by the refs

56. indianheadmeatpackingcompany says: Jan 15, 2012 5:49 PM

GB WR’s are always near the top of the league in dropped passes, now they’re moving on to just dropping already caught balls.

57. bobbyhoying says: Jan 15, 2012 5:50 PM

Keep saying gambling interests own the refs. Polygraph the ref who made that decision. Bet he can’t pass one.

58. clintonportisheadd says: Jan 15, 2012 5:50 PM

So many angry folks! I know the Giants don’t have that kind of a fan base so it must be people with money on the game.

Here’s a tip. Its easier to enjoy the game if your car payment isn’t hanging on the outcome.

59. promin1 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:51 PM

Looks like the refs are trying to give the Packers the game just like they did in the first Giants/Packers game. The NFL officiating is a complete joke.

60. pravin68 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:51 PM

THere is absolutely no reason why a replay decision such as this has to be controversial. THe ref had a gimmee replay and BLEW IT. How can you not censure officials . what is going to preent officials from making a wrong decision NBA style and passing it off as incompetence? Even Stevie Wonder thought that this was a fumble.

61. calwilliams06 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:54 PM

trbowman says: Jan 15, 2012 5:35 PM

How is Bill Leavy employed?

If I were that bad at my job I’d be out on my butt.
    ——————————————————-

Bill Leavy, puppet ref par excellence

62. ktscharf says: Jan 15, 2012 5:54 PM

That ref should should be put in a steel cage with JPP during Wrestlemania.

63. zaggs says: Jan 15, 2012 5:54 PM

Its getting worse, couple obvious holding penalty no calls favoring the pack, even Mike P saw an obvious roughing the passed by Bishop, no call. Doesn’t matter what the Giants do, refs will decide not to give them the win.

64. yamchargers says: Jan 15, 2012 5:55 PM

I hate the Giants but we all want to. Believe the game is decided by the players. And this stinks. The offIciating seems to be getting worse.

65. patsfan83 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:55 PM

The refs are stealing the game from the Giants. Not a fan from either team but it’s just so obvious the nfl wants the packers to win what a joke !!

66. n0hopeleft says: Jan 15, 2012 5:56 PM

Was the Kuhn play down by contact too? Leavy thought so

67. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Jan 15, 2012 5:56 PM

“packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Jan 15, 2012 5:36 PM He still had 2 hands on the ball. Either way, neither team should let one call lose the game for them.”

Homer

____

You’re a Giants fan so I could say the same to you.

68. footballnut2011 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:57 PM

And i thought WWF was the only sport rigged. I think i am done with the NFL!

69. chachooga says: Jan 15, 2012 5:57 PM

Ed Reed from the U…balla…ints for the old guy…should of had a couple more.

More ballas from the U in the late game….Kenny Phillips and Antrel Rolle both recover fumbles (ok Phillips’ was overturned…but it was a fumble)

Its all about The U….Al Golden baby

70. pravin68 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:59 PM

I actually have money on the Pack. The live betting site brought their line down to -4.5 after giants scored 10. But it is maddening to see such incompetence game in and game out, especially on replays which should never be controversial.

71. cmr123 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:59 PM

No excuse for that and i want G.B. to win.

TOTAL BS

Ref should be suspended for that call. Live is one thing but in slow mo. get serious.

72. ttommytom says: Jan 15, 2012 6:00 PM

This HORRIBLE call will NOT be forgotten anytime soon. Can’t wait to see the explanation. If you can’t get this right you should be employed elsewhere.

73. localbandhero says: Jan 15, 2012 6:00 PM

This was almost as bad as the Victor Cruz fumble that wasn’t called that got NYG a giftwrapped win!

C’MON REFS!

(Oh, that’s right….the refs are always against “your” team…)

74. capcorp3 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:00 PM

Bill Levey was thinking about calling the Kuhn fumble an incomplete pass and Jacobs RUNN the #$%$^%$$ BALL stop tip toein North South

75. hannahsdaddy says: Jan 15, 2012 6:01 PM

As a Raiders fan, I understand how the Giants fans feel after such a terrible call. Especially after watching the replay!!!

76. bigjim50010 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:03 PM

I dunno…. I thought it was a good call

Go Pack Go!!!!

77. bovice23 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:04 PM

I’ve always thought that the refs should have a press conference after the game to explain their calls. Instead we’ll just get a “whoops we blew it” 3 weeks later

78. gergie1957 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:04 PM

The NFL will never let the Packers lose at home, not going to happen.

An obvious fumble. My wife even said so and she hates football.

79. clb457 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:05 PM

Tim Donaghy an nfl ref now?

80. sweetnlow44 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:08 PM

Leavy must be having flashbacks of superbowl xl. Seahawk fans will never forget Bill Leavy for that game. Leavy’s the Tim Donaghy of the NFL. Don’t worry Giant fans, in 5 years, he’ll show up to one of your preseason practices and admit that he screwed you guys over. Just hope the fumble isn’t the only blatant call he screws you guys out of today.

81. bigjdve says: Jan 15, 2012 6:08 PM

That call was pretty bad. It is horrible anytime you can actually feel bad for the Giants.

I think they need to re-evaluate all of the refs after the season.

This play is a primary example, the right call was made, another ref over-ruled the play, then they messed up the replay.

What a mess.

82. bdblue says: Jan 15, 2012 6:09 PM

Wah wah wah. Bunch of crybabies. I thought it was a fumble as well, but get over it. Move on and make up for it since they have the whole rest of the game. When the Pack wins, this will be the one call all you crybabies will say decided the outcome. Bad calls happen…need a tissue??

83. randomjim says: Jan 15, 2012 6:10 PM

On August 6, 2010, while visiting the Seahawks’ preseason training camp for an annual rules interpretation session with the Seattle media, Leavy brought up Super Bowl XL without being asked, and admitted to having blown calls:[19]
    “ It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that. It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly. I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better … I know that I did my best at that time, but it wasn’t good enough … When we make mistakes, you got to step up and own them. It’s something that all officials have to deal with, but unfortunately when you have to deal with it in the Super Bowl it’s difficult.[20]

84. Little Earthquake says: Jan 15, 2012 6:13 PM

Packers don’t deserve to win…can’t catch, can’t tackle. That hail mary was atrocious.

85. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Jan 15, 2012 6:14 PM

Worst call I ever seen since replay was instituted !

86. tommytd says: Jan 15, 2012 6:14 PM

Leave it to the zebras. They SUCK. Terrible call.

87. Little Earthquake says: Jan 15, 2012 6:18 PM

What a lucky break! Now the Packers are only down by 10!

88. schmitty2 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:19 PM

clintonportisheadd says:
    Jan 15, 2012 5:50 PM

Says the guy who doesn’t have a car

89. pravin68 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:19 PM

Seattle stop whining. It’s been 5 years. I can count a lot worse mistakes against the Steelers in the playoffs compared to the iffy calls that went against you. Seattle, you lost by 11 points and the you had enough time to overcome a couple of those calls. And if you watched the NFL, holding calls have gone against the Steelers in other games too. And none of the mistakes in that game were as bad as this one as this was clearly a wrong call. The only wrong call in your game was the penalty on Hasselback (15 yards without affecting the wrong possession). If you remember, Steelers overcame a couple of bad calls in the real SB that year – Steelers at Indy and won in a squeaker. Seattle didnt get as bad as calls and lost by 11. If you lost by a FG or a TD, then you have room to complain.

90. purplehayseuss says: Jan 15, 2012 6:19 PM

gergie, You are probably onto something. Predict the ratings of a GB vs anyone Super Bowl compared to a Super Bowl without GB. Huge for the former, middling for the latter – and $ flows that surge for one and stagnate for the other. I’ve said before that Refs are people, too; but an obvious miss like this? It’s just wrong and everyone knows it. Packer fans will snoot their way through it, as described above, because it went their way. If something similar happens to favor the Giants, we’ll all go deaf with the screeching from WI, regardless of the outcome of the game.

Personally, if the last 30 minutes of this game goes like the first half, this will be the best day of my football year.

91. inthearex says: Jan 15, 2012 6:21 PM

Football karma!!!

92. whodeytn says: Jan 15, 2012 6:22 PM

Refs have been deciding a lot of games this season…

93. unbreakable02215 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:23 PM

I’m gonna say it. And I’m no Giants fan. I saw this
    happen in NY earlier in the season when the
    league was doing what it could to help Greenbay
    get its perfect season. I saw a phantom illegal
    contact call and I saw a Giant TD that was taken
    from them. Is this about the G on the side of
    their helmets ? I mean the whole “legendary
    franchise thing/good for the league if they are
    undefeated or that they should be helped get to
    the Super bowl at all costs ?” This is disgraceful.
    Its embarrassing. Its hard enough to win in the
    NFL. You shouldn’t be giving a team a 12th man
    on the field because of what is on the side of their
    helmets NFL. I’m ashamed. And you should be
    too.
    These guys in the Giants helmets are out there
    bleeding and you do something like this to them.

I used to be a fan of the shield….not any more.

94. mikeeg says: Jan 15, 2012 6:24 PM

WCE – WORST CALL EVER

95. bobhk says: Jan 15, 2012 6:24 PM

——–
    You are the biggest moron on this board. Its one thing for the refs to make mistakes (such as an inadvertent whistle). Its completely another to be blatant and they did not even fix it after review.
    This is outright rigging.
    This should be a giants rout by now.
    I am not even a giants fan

96. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Jan 15, 2012 6:27 PM

Packer fan and football official for 20 years.

Jennings ball was easily a fumble…you start to wonder about a fix when you see stuff like that.

Giants got the momentum and are walking away with this game. Urgency seems forgotten on the Packers bench, and they aregiving this game away.

Capers already has a HC job with the Raiders, I’m guessing, and half of this coaching staff has their eyes on their next job that they start as of Monday morning…..just a hunch.

Take nothing away from the Giants, they are playing more physical and are owning that Pack D. Woodson should move onto retirement from what I’ve seen today, and Jarrett Bush should be given his pink slip after that play at the end of the half.

Coughlin is owning McCarthy right now…..unreal.

97. tiffpats4eva says: Jan 15, 2012 6:30 PM

Even Packer fans, if they are honest, have to admit that was bunk.

98. lilrob10201 says: Jan 15, 2012 6:44 PM

The ball was clearly out before his elbow,knee,and butt was on the ground.I swear the refs this season are so bad.

99. snoilog says: Jan 15, 2012 7:00 PM

Thats ok they took 2 fumbles AND a TD away from the Lions

I guess the NFL decided that the packers should win the SB so do what evcr!!!!

GARBAGE

GO LIONS!!!

100. bhind8ball says: Jan 15, 2012 7:06 PM

Full time or Part time dont matter. 20/20 vision should be a requirement though.

101. wicky888 says: Jan 15, 2012 7:13 PM

I surprised they gave the Kuhn fumble to the Giants. I waiting for them to rule him down by contact too. Packers and Saints get so many gifts that its disgusting. Saints are done (no penalties on them yesterday by the way), and it would be true karma if GB went down too.

102. dtrb10 says: Jan 15, 2012 7:27 PM

I am a fan of 2 teams the Vikings and whoever is playing the packers today I am a huge giants fan. I may even by an Eli manning jersey and wear it around.

103. nflfollower says: Jan 15, 2012 7:33 PM

Wow again in the 4th a bogus hit to the head extends another packers drive after a failed 3rd down. Golden boys of the NFL, clearly NO head contact on that what a joke this officiating has become !!

104. patsfan83 says: Jan 15, 2012 7:35 PM

Unbelievable the refs really want the packers to win its just sad to watch that hit was nowhere near his head !!!

105. snoilog says: Jan 15, 2012 7:40 PM

Bill Levey should be FIRED

Worst ref out there

106. tobiasjodter says: Jan 15, 2012 7:40 PM

Wow. Leavy has made to HUGE mistakes in favor of Green Bay this game. Both of them are baffling in their obvious badness. Most bad calls are human error and stuff that just happens. But the non-fumble and blow to the head were both totally just made up.

107. tobiasjodter says: Jan 15, 2012 7:56 PM

pravin68 says: Jan 15, 2012 5:51 PM

——————————————-

It is baffling how the officials can go under the hood and see it in HD and slomo AND still get it wrong. But it happens. Earlier this year Hochuli overturned an Antonio Brown catch (Bengals game Week 13) – ruled a catch on the field. No replay from any angle even began to show anything other than a catch. But Hochuli overturned it. Now in this case the exact reverse is true but Leavy doesn’t overturn it.

Baffling…

108. unbreakable02215 says: Jan 15, 2012 8:05 PM

Justice.

109. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 16, 2012 1:52 AM

Can the Packers ever beat us fair and square? I mean, even with ONLY two or three blatantly bad calls instead of a half dozen or so in both games this year?

110. marty2019 says: Jan 16, 2012 8:02 AM

I don’t think referees are dishonest. If they were really dishonest, they’d call holding or something like that. They could call holding on any play they want to.

Still. it is incredibly puzzling how a referee can go under the hood and not see something that is plain as day. How can that happen?

111. mreffs420 says: Jan 16, 2012 8:23 AM

i’m about as far from being a conspiracy theorist as you can be, and even i’m starting to wonder about bill leavy.

there’s no possible way a ref can blatantly blow so many calls (not just in this game) and still have a job. something’s fishy with this guy.