Packers will have offensive coordinator Joe Philbin on Sunday

Joe Philbin, Mike McCarthy AP

Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin is planning to participate in Sunday’s game against the Giants.

Philbin, who has been away from the team since his son Michael was found dead on Monday, will be at Lambeau Field, Packers coach Mike McCarthy told Lesley Visser of CBS Sports.

During the week the Packers’ assistants have split Philbin’s game-planning duties. On Sundays Philbin is typically in the coaches’ box and in communication with head coach Mike McCarthy, who calls the offensive plays.

Philbin has not spoken publicly this week but released a statement saying, “We love Michael so much and will miss him dearly. He loved his family, friends and life. His memory will live on in the hearts and minds of all who knew him.”

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Packers will have offensive coordinator Joe Philbin on Sunday”
  1. dolphins4 says: Jan 15, 2012 7:48 AM

It’s sad what happened to his son and I’m praying for him and his family.I hope Joe Philbin will become the new head coach of the Miami Dolphins and be a great coach for a long time to come.

2. itwasagoodrun says: Jan 15, 2012 7:50 AM

Not a smart move IMHO on his part. It’s too soon and his family needs him.

3. bagadeez04 says: Jan 15, 2012 8:00 AM

Everyone deals with tragedy differently

4. bluefan204 says: Jan 15, 2012 8:02 AM

Sometimes it’s better to just jump right back into your normal routine. Condolences from Giants Nation. I’m glad to see that he’s doing well enough to move on. It won’t make things any easier for my Giants, but football is just a game. Life is more important.

Go Blue!

5. nesuperfan says: Jan 15, 2012 8:07 AM

itwasagoodrun says:Jan 15, 2012 7:50 AM

Not a smart move IMHO on his part. It’s too soon and his family needs him.
    __________________________________

I have a feeling his family wants him to be there. If I were part of his family, I would want him to go there, and win for his team. It is about commitment.

6. kp33 says: Jan 15, 2012 8:09 AM

What a hard decision to make…

7. anyslacking says: Jan 15, 2012 8:10 AM

That takes some courage.

8. Chuck Wood says: Jan 15, 2012 8:16 AM

His family needs him to help wallop the Giants.

9. chatham10 says: Jan 15, 2012 8:23 AM

Who is to say if this is the right thing to do or not but the person making the decision and his family are the only people that matter. I have seen situations like this many times and all people handle grief different. I wish him and his family peace.

10. chuckyd317 says: Jan 15, 2012 8:37 AM

(I apologize ahead of time for bringing up “he who name we do not speak”) Kinda like Favre playing the day after his dad died eh??? What a poor decision that was… For the Raiders that is…

11. glowingstone says: Jan 15, 2012 8:53 AM

Good luck, today, Joe. You will have 80,000 friends cheering you on at Lambeau Field this afternoon.

12. geeee7 says: Jan 15, 2012 8:57 AM

Trying to compare a grown man losing his father to a grown man losing his son is no where near the same. At the same time if coach philbin feels ready and his family supports him in showing up then by all means I feel he should be there

13. hodaghunter says: Jan 15, 2012 9:02 AM

Lombardi once said: “You will be successful in life if you focus on three things and only three things, God, Family and the Green Bay Packers.”

We love you Joe!

14. garyman1 says: Jan 15, 2012 9:05 AM

At some point, you have to start moving on…like so many of us have faced.
    I think this will be a good “distraction” for him and I wish him well.

15. greenandgoldgirl says: Jan 15, 2012 9:12 AM

If that is what he feels he needs to do, I respect his decision and am glad the Packers will have him there today. I am certain he has the support of his family in this. His Packer family would have understood too had he chosen not to be there, but I am sure they will support him today by playing their hearts out for him.

16. starrtodowler says: Jan 15, 2012 9:16 AM

chuckyd317, I was thinking the very same thing. And much like that time, you know the team will play their hearts out for him…

17. jc1958cool says: Jan 15, 2012 9:21 AM

tough call, he has to do what he thinks is right.
    green & gold repeat

18. nfl fan says: Jan 15, 2012 9:28 AM

…and the Giants will have JPP.

19. orangeflh says: Jan 15, 2012 9:40 AM

…and JPP will have a face full of Chad Clifton today (a completely different animal than Marshall Newhouse).

20. beedubyatoo says: Jan 15, 2012 10:14 AM

hodaghunter says:
    Jan 15, 2012 9:02 AM
    —— —————–

The rest of that quote is.”…in that order.”

21. Little Earthquake says: Jan 15, 2012 10:49 AM

It’s good to work and focus on something else in these situations after grieving. He’ll have a lot of support nevertheless.

22. itwasagoodrun says: Jan 15, 2012 10:53 AM

Nesuperfan, To each their own. Joe can do what he feels is right, but I wouldnt be coaching an effin meaningless football game after the death of my son. Commitment to a football team is secondary in my world to family.

23. jerrykramer says: Jan 15, 2012 11:54 AM

itwasagoodrun, exactly. To each his own. I think the reference to the Raider game after Irv Favre died is a perfect example of how cathartic football can be.

24. acdc363 says: Jan 15, 2012 12:27 PM

I admire his decision to play im sure his son would have wanted that but the giants are still leaving with the W

25. buckybadger says: Jan 15, 2012 2:27 PM

itwasagoodrun says:
    Jan 15, 2012 7:50 AM
    Not a smart move IMHO on his part. It’s too soon and his family needs him.

——————–

You opinion means nothing here and should be kept to yourself. His family all live right there in Wisconsin. I am sure they talked this over and he got their blessing. It isn’t like he going to be gone for more than the day and not even the full day at that.

They have grieved, sometimes the best way to help move on is to bring some normalcy to back to your life.