Fisher says he wasn’t steered to Rams by agent

File photo of Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher in Jacksonville Reuters

The connection between new Rams coach Jeff Fisher, his agent Marvin Demoff, and Rams COO Kevin Demoff largely has been overlooked over the past two weeks.  We’ve pointed out the benefit to the Rams of having Kevin Demoff in position to trust the information he’s hearing from his father regarding the terms Fisher needed, and the terms the Dolphin were offering.  We’ve also observed that, in order for Kevin Demoff to escape scrutiny regarding the question of whether rolled over for his father and thus for Fisher, the Demoffs needed another team that would be offering similar bells and whistles to that which Fisher wanted.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated, who discloses that he’s also represented by Marvin Demoff (more NFL reporters and broadcasters should be willing to do the same regarding their own representation), writes in today’s Monday Morning Quarterback that King has heard in some circles an inference that “the fix was in,” and that Marvin Demoff delivered Fisher to Demoff’s son.  King spoke with Fisher, who predictably but nevertheless credibly denied that he was steered to the Rams by Marvin Demoff, or by anyone.

“Under no circumstances at any time,” Fisher said.  “I have 100 percent conviction on that.  This was my decision, and Marvin assisted me.  I was the one who decided.  No one pushed me anywhere.”

King also asked how the decision was made.  “From day one, when I began this process after the season, I felt Miami and St. Louis were my best options,” Fisher said.  “I did my research. I looked at every team that had an opening.  I looked at the personnel on each team, I looked at the owners, I looked at the cap situations, and I narrowed it to two.  Not Marvin.  Me.  Marvin didn’t push me.  I am convinced he was completely objective.”

Fisher’s response implies that more than two teams were chasing Fisher.  Still, when the time came to negotiate with the Rams, Fisher needed a second team in order to get the best deal possible from the Rams, without exposing Kevin Demoff to criticism for giving up too much to get his dad’s client.

King separately writes, contrary to reports from guys like Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports and Adam Schefter of ESPN, that Fisher didn’t want final say over the roster in either St. Louis or Miami.  “All he wanted was the ability to — in the event he was categorically opposed to a decision being made by the general manager — have a mechanism in place for a third party, like an owner, to decide which way the team would go,” says King.

Apparently, Fisher wants to avoid a situation in which another Vince Young is shoved down Fisher’s throat.  But here’s the thing.  If Fisher wants the owner to settle any tie between Fisher and the G.M., it won’t save him from having a player taken against Fisher’s wishes if the owner wants to take that player.

After all, it was the owner in Tennessee who wanted to take Vince Young.

In the end, the Demoff connection helped St. Louis get Fisher.  But everyone knew about the Demoff connection going in; in the end, the Dolphins should have been far more vigilant about ensuring that they weren’t being served like potato salad at a father-son picnic.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Fisher says he wasn’t steered to Rams by agent”
  1. ProDolphinsTalk says: Jan 16, 2012 2:06 PM

Who cares? Seriously, there is some great football still being played and the Super Bowl is fast approaching. 55 stories about Jeff Fisher and the Rams? Why do I even come here?

2. smackadabassmon says: Jan 16, 2012 2:08 PM

Let it go. Saying that Fisher was “led” by his agent is absurd. He liked the overall situation in St. Louis more than the one in Miami. End of story…..

3. ampats says: Jan 16, 2012 2:09 PM

Fisher wanted to coach a professional football team, unlike the circus that is called the Miami Dolphins which is owned by a clown !

It must really suck to be a Dolphins fan watching a once great franchise become one of the laughing stock franchises in the NFL.

4. paleandpasty says: Jan 16, 2012 2:10 PM

He wasn’t “steered”, but please dont tell me that it didnt help the rams a little

5. earthtopft says: Jan 16, 2012 2:10 PM

What is the big deal? Fischer is the Kevin Kolb of coaching candidates. The “wtf were we thinking?” type of acquisition.

6. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jan 16, 2012 2:11 PM

Full disclosure: I am also represented by Marvin Demoff. Still, Fisher is going to go where he can get the best deal.

7. lmoneyfresh says: Jan 16, 2012 2:15 PM

Just like McKenzie wouldn’t fire Hue because they had the same agent…right?

8. robdolphins says: Jan 16, 2012 2:17 PM

Profishertalk.com should be new name for this site..They can even keep same abbreviation.

9. skoobyfl says: Jan 16, 2012 2:17 PM

What exactly has Jeff Fisher accomplished at the head coaching position in the NFL ?

10. roamingabriel says: Jan 16, 2012 2:20 PM

In the end, in the end, in the end, in the end, in the end, I seriously can’t believe how stupid NBC is…

11. vikingsprimetime says: Jan 16, 2012 2:20 PM

Who Cares? The author of this article is over the top with his garbage!

12. austrianpanther says: Jan 16, 2012 2:21 PM

Who care’s about Fisher or The Rams anyway?? We still got some football to play!! How about focusing what is really important??!!!

13. thingamajig says: Jan 16, 2012 2:25 PM

There has to be a conspiracy somewhere with this hire. Keep fantasizing.

14. austrianpanther says: Jan 16, 2012 2:26 PM

17 years as head coach of which 6 years with a wining record….That does not qaulify as good head coach! My two year old could have done better!

15. mikeeg says: Jan 16, 2012 2:28 PM

ProDolphinsTalk says:Jan 16, 2012 2:06 PM

———————————-

^^^BITTER DOLPHIN FAN

16. 6ball says: Jan 16, 2012 2:41 PM

Let me get this straight ; the Demoff father and son team delivered Fisher to the Rams with the provision that Fisher be allowed to hire his son as an assistant. Next, Fisher will be bringing in Greg Williams from New Orleans who brings along his son. Then Fisher hires Brian Schottenheimer ……

17. stevemo says: Jan 16, 2012 2:41 PM

mikeeg says: Jan 16, 2012 2:28 PM

ProDolphinsTalk says:Jan 16, 2012 2:06 PM

———————————-

^^^BITTER DOLPHIN FAN

———————–

^ Poor attempt at trolling.

18. sixaspadz says: Jan 16, 2012 2:41 PM

19. phinfan says: Jan 16, 2012 2:46 PM

Sissy was steered because of Rex and Belly.

20. ravensruleandharbaughisgod says: Jan 16, 2012 2:47 PM

This is such a non-(football) story so who really cares.

Of course Fisher’s agent played a role in his decision- it is in his job decription to do so. That is why he is an Agent.

That Fisher picked the Rams over the Fins was both a football related decision based upon future prospects and players in place (i.e. the Rams hold the 2nd overall pick, afterall) as well as lifestyle. There is a big gulf between South Beach and the Midwest, so I am sure all of these variables factored into this career .542 winning percentage coaches unnewsworthy decision!

21. jimmysimpson55 says: Jan 16, 2012 2:47 PM

Full Disclosure: I am also represented by Arliss Michaels and Jeff Fisher went where the money way. Plus, I am self absorbed because I used the ‘full disclosure’ card for no reason at all.

22. vincentbojackson says: Jan 16, 2012 2:53 PM

Fisher’s first order of duty: Put together a package to trade for Tim Tebow.

23. roamingabriel says: Jan 16, 2012 3:01 PM

sixaspadz says:
    Jan 16, 2012 2:41 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    HAHA! That’s funny!

24. cantonbound13 says: Jan 16, 2012 3:05 PM

Fisher just saw what Harbaugh saw. Ross is an aweful & clueless owner. Nobody knows who’s in control over there, Peterson or Ireland. It didn’t matter how much money they were willing to pay him, the team has no structure & there is no way you can win in this league when the front office is a disaster.

25. schmitty2 says: Jan 16, 2012 3:13 PM

To all the Posters that are sick of the Fisher talk and complain about it on here..DON’t read the article than leave a comment. Pretty simple stuff guys

26. cletusvandam says: Jan 16, 2012 3:17 PM

He was steered to the rams by the large sacks with dollar signs they threw at him.

27. isujames says: Jan 16, 2012 3:26 PM

that near 7 million dollars did the trick.

28. drewsylvania says: Jan 16, 2012 3:36 PM

“No he was not steered by his agent, he was steered by playing NE and NYJ’s twice a year opposed to AZ and Sea…
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    HAHA! That’s funny!

How many teams do you seriously think fear the Jets, Bills or Dolphins? But eastern divisions are crap…”

NE NYJ MIA BUF are tougher opponents than SF AZ SEA STL

29. roamingabriel says: Jan 16, 2012 3:37 PM

And now Fisher has Williams too!!!!!!!!!

Step 3 in return to playoffs!!!

30. clintonportisheadd says: Jan 16, 2012 3:43 PM

“The connection between new Rams coach Jeff Fisher, his agent Marvin Demoff, and Rams COO Kevin Demoff largely has been overlooked over the past two weeks.”

—————————

Not by me. I was all over it as anyone can see by checking my posts. The fix WAS in and the Dolphins were fools to even be involved. I would have NEVER EVER he considered Fisher for a job until the Rams opening had been filled and the obvious conflict of interest played out.

31. changsteinelgamal says: Jan 16, 2012 3:49 PM

Agents work for their clients, not the other way around…

If he was “steered” in any way, it was because the agent knew he could get the best deal for his client in St. Louis. If he knew that because he had inside info, so be it. Getting the best deal for their clients is what agents are supposed to do. It’s why there is a such thing as an agent in the first place.

32. realitypolice says: Jan 16, 2012 3:54 PM

No idea why my previous comment was censored, so I’ll try to rewrite my post in a way that may be a little less offensive to the moderators because I think I raise a very valid point that deserves to be heard:

From the moment this whole process started, I was taken aback by what I percieved to be a very unbalanced portrayal of Jeff Fisher’s record and his value as a coaching prospect. I continually waited for someone, anyone, to make some mention of the fact that over 17 years as a head coach, he really hadn’t been all that successful.

Now I find out that one of the writers who been the most outspoken about how great Fisher was shares an agent with him.

I find that disturbing and would like to know how many other people who also spoke so glowingly of Mr. Fisher find themselves in the same situation.

33. metalhead65 says: Jan 16, 2012 4:02 PM

so who am I going to believe the guy you are talking about or the guy you heard it from who heard from somebody who heard it from somebody who might work for somebody who knows somebody on one of the teams you are talking about?lying or not I will take Fisher’s word not that I care about anything about it.

34. link49 says: Jan 16, 2012 4:27 PM

Why all the publicity to a coach who is 8-8 over his career -Overrated and Storyteller-,and a looser when the game count… enough is enough.

35. mykl954 says: Jan 16, 2012 4:35 PM

The Fins are the big winners in this. If they wanted a mediocre coach who puts up winning seasons 3 1/2 times out of 10, went 14-18 the last 2 seasons coming in 3rd and 4th place in the division and a conservative run first offensive philosophy, they could have just kept Sparano who didn’t have control issues. Good for Ross for drawing a line in the sand.

Gregg Williams should be a good hire but Brian Schottenheimer? Come on man!!! The jets fans would have taken up a collection for Fisher to take him off their hands had he not been given the dignity to make it look like he left on his own terms.

Good luck Rams.

36. dolphinsfan69 says: Jan 16, 2012 5:24 PM

Yeah right.. Who cares didn’t want him or his mediocre record.. Don’t worry Fins fans something good will come our way!!!!

37. themonster49 says: Jan 16, 2012 5:28 PM

Going down the same road as this article, the Dolphins were the perfect team to use as leverage to have your terms met by your desired team since you desired team was also a father-son deal which probably would’ve incuded the ‘deal’ part a bit more than Fisher probably wanted to give away. The Dolphins owner isn’t exactly good at this whole press conference thing, add his apparent ‘I’m used to getting it but im a nice guy’ demeanor with the fact he talks too much about closed door need-to-know information and that he stated the Dolphins would spend what it takes to get Fisher, and the Dolphins have just become the absolute perfect leverage piece. And to ensure your desired team doesn’t bail out from the rising demands you’ve got the father and son thing in St. Louis.

38. bsizemore68 says: Jan 16, 2012 5:40 PM

As far as the money goes, YOU are worth what someone will PAY YOU. We may not agree, however that is how the world works. The Rams wanted him, didn’t matter what his record was, the fool in Mississippi thought murders should be pardon, people do stupid things, I hope the Rams got what they wanted, I hope the Dolphins find the next Don. Bill p.s. and a Danny boy would be great also.

39. beeronthefridge says: Jan 16, 2012 9:03 PM

fisher is a bad coach but he can give you a good fish tale