Ray Lewis may be reversing course on retirement plans

Getty Images

In August, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis made his intentions clear.  If his team wins the Super Bowl, Ray will ride into the sunset.

“My son will be a junior this year.  I only play this game for another ring,” Lewis told Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com.  “If we can win it this year, and I’m being brutally honest with you, if we win it this year, I’m gone to then spend as much time as I can with him.  I’m gone to be with my son.  And I feel like now we have enough pieces in place to make a good run at the Super Bowl.”

Now that the Ravens are within two victories of giving Ray the ultimate retirement gift, Ray isn’t thinking about the possibility of winning it all and walking away.

“Let me sum it up for all players:  This is a one-time thing,” Lewis said in an NFL Network interview on Sunday, via the Baltimore Sun.  “We don’t get youth back, so there isn’t any coming back to this for me.  If we go win the Super Bowl this year, what am I supposed to look at my team and say?  Individually, ‘I have two, I’m done.’  Or do I look at my fellas and say, ‘Let’s scrap it up one more time, let’s see if we can make this run one more time.’  That’s all what the legacy is about.  Togetherness and to hoist that Lombardi with my boys.  There is nothing I wouldn’t give up for that.”

So, apparently, it comes down to spending time with his son, or spending time with his boys.  And Ray realizes that, once he walks away from the game, the latter option will disappear forever.

Maybe Lewis simply doesn’t want to consider life without football right now because it would undermine his ability to focus on the task at hand.  Regardless, even though the Ravens were 4-0 this season during his absence from a foot injury, both sides could decide to do it one more time, even if Lewis gets his second title 11 years after he earned his first one.

86 responses to “Ray Lewis may be reversing course on retirement plans

1. And most of you now know why Brett went back and forth on retirement. Sounds like Ray is in the same frame of mind going back and forth on retirement….it is hard to retire. Ray….you still are a force on defense, as like Brett, keep playing til you can’t anymore as you are fun to watch. If you decide to retire, I’ll miss watching you on Sunday as I do Brett.

2. If his qb can put some points up the ravens will win. The pats have a great offense but the ravens have a great d and decent offense unlike the awful pats d. Sorry pats fans but flacco while not great is a lot better than tebow and they also have a guy named rice who’s pretty good too. So I say 21 – 17 ravens

3. I still don’t know what to think about this guy… did he get away with murder? I need a 60 minutes or Dateline episode about the incident so I can either rule him guilty or innocent in my mind. From there I will be able to put his football career into context.

4. Having raised two children and now have grandchildren, given Rays choice I would go home with no second thoughts. Because the truth is your kids to soon leave home, never to return.

5. I’d rather see Ray Ray dance than that idiot Papplebon…the only thing worse than NE arrogance is NY stupidity.

6. He can have plenty of time in retirement to explain to his son how he had the blood of a victim on his clothes , but didnt know how it got there.

7. I always find it funny when players contemplate retirement a year or more ahead because so much can happen to change your mind. Just ask Brett Favre.

8. Ray is gonna to end up making the Ravens make a decision on him. He is not ready for life after football, that WWE talk doesn’t translate in the real world.

9. Being brutalized by ‘Gronk’ all night will change his mind. My God the PATS looked good Saturday and it pains me to admit it. GO DOLPHINS.

10. The truth is, no matter what happens from here on out, Ray Lewis’ legacy is set. SB ring, SB MVP, first-ballot HOFer, a leader and humanitarian in the Baltimore community, respected by many of his peers. It says a lot that the only thing haters can do is make decade-old stab jokes.

11. Thanks for the memories, Ray.

I’ve enjoyed watching you play since you started, but go look after your son now, it’s time.

12. Leave it to a Pats fan to start the trashy smack talk..you guys don’t scare the Ravens. Maybe you scared the Denver Tebows, but remember what happened last time Baltimore played in Foxboro in January!

13. Getting a little ahead of ourselves – aren’t we Ray Ray?

So you are talking about winning this year AND next year?

Something tells me that as much as I hate the Pats – they are going to show everyone just how SLOW you really are.

Always felt ray was short for ‘overrayted”.

He’s been getting the Favre/Tebow media hype for years.

14. The Cheatriot fans are lucky they didn’t have to play the Jets this year. We were gonna kick the crap out of you again in your house.

You lucked into getting Tebow. But the luck runs out when you play the Ravens,

15. I wouldn’t read too much into anything Ray Lewis says about anything. I have never known an athlete more in love with the sound of his own voice.

I am convinced that the only thought Ray Lewis puts into what he says is to make it as dramatic and serious sounding as he can. Whether whatever he comes up with is actually true or not is secondary.

I hope he keeps playing because you know the second he retires he is signing a contract to be a talking head for someone, and that my friends is what makes ears bleed.

16. He’s having too much fun, loved it when he and Reed enjoyed that win in the endzone after Ed’s int….that type of feeling will keep him playing for longer than it should…..enjoy it Ray you deserve it…….nothing better than the thrill of victory…..

17. Ray Lewis thinks the NFL revolves around HIM….

His Ravens were BULLIED physically by the Texans yesterday. Talk with your play, buddy – nobody cares about your legacy but you and the Baltimore fans…. He acts like he thinks he is Knute Rockne and is the founding father of football…. He will be MUTED next Sunday….

Total egomaniac…..!

18. Glad Tom Brady has one more shot at Ray Lewis. Going to be fun watching these two teams next week and see if Ray Ray still has enough left to keep Brady & Co.from going all “Broncos” on them.

19. Can’t help but think if the ugly beast had played in New England, the Pats would be going for super bowl number six.
    Ray must secretly loathe his eternally Flaccid O.
    But he won one, before the D rule changes.

There just are no answers for the no huddle, shotgun, 3 second release to Gronk/Hernandez/Welker.

Not enough Ed’s on the field, and Ray is long past adept pass coverage.

It will be ugly for the ravens.
    Uglier than normal, that is.

20. Hines Ward and Ray Lewis should agree to retire this year. I cannot imagine one being on the field without the other.

21. Hopefully all the playoff teams will learn a lesson from the “Packers dynasty” that ended after 12 months. There are no more SB dynasties anymore. You give it all in January and cherish that Super Bowl instead of looking at it as your first of many like the Packers did this season.

Since re-alignment every season stands on its own, so you can’t hold back, because there is no “we’ll get ’em next year” anymore.

22. I don’t think Ray will need to make that decision this year.

The Ravens team I saw out there yesterday is not capable of staying with the Patriots, period.

Put it this way, I just saw that the O/U for the game is 50. I think if the Ravens can manage to score 10 points, that total is going over.

23. Good luck Ray no matter what your choice is.
    I’m a Steelers fan and rooting for the Ravens to win it all. I never thought I would say that, but a few years ago when the Steelers were playing in the SB Mr. Ray Lewis was who he was rooting for and he said Pittsburg of course. When the interviewer reminded him that the Steelers beat them to get there. He said he respected them and they earned where they were. I’ve never forgotten that and though the Ravens are the Steelers biggest rivel I hate him as a Raven, but would love him as a Steeler. Good luck Ravens and hope you win it all.

24. Being a die hard Dolphins fan I wish we had Ray Lewis on are team!! What a beast of a player he is and I hope Ray and your Ravens go all the way.. Especially since Ray and Ed Reed represent the U!

25. emn081205 says:
    Jan 16, 2012 10:21 AM

Yeah we do remember what happened the last time they played. It was LAST YEAR, the Patriots WON!

Ravens vs a TB12 Patriots team= 1-6

But keep holding on to a game from 3 years ago

26. I absolutely believe that Ray and Ed Reed call it quits if the Ravens win it all in Indy. It’d be the perfect capper on each of their Hall of Fame careers, and to see the two of them enter Canton in the same year would be an awesome experience.

I am not intimidated by the Ravens playing in Foxborough Sunday – even in their losses to the Patriots in the past, all the games were tight. Their one win was a major blowout, but this game will not be so one-sided. Ravens win, 31-27.

27. rickc10m says: Jan 16, 2012 10:11 AM

——————————————————
    As a young father of a 3 year old, your last sentence was a brutal slap in the face. I dread the day she leaves home…

28. BTC says:
    Jan 16, 2012 10:18 AM
    ——————————————————–
    Humanitarian?????

You do realize he is associated with a murder, right?

I suppose you put O.J. in the “Good Citizen” group as well?

realnflmaster says:
    Jan 16, 2012 10:31 AM
    ——————————————————–
    “Gonna” kick the crap out of New England ….. lol!

Yeah ……. too bad they couldn’t even back their way into the playoffs this year to do that, huh?

This post is the perfect example of why people hate Yets fans …….. their team is 8-8 and imploding like a black hole, but these fools are still talking “woulda, coulda, shoulda” trash!

Enjoy the Championship game between the two best AFC teams next week Yets fans, your team isn’t one of them!

29. ledhed1212 says: Jan 16, 2012 10:34 AM

Ray Lewis thinks the NFL revolves around HIM….

Total egomaniac…..!

______________

30. andyreidisfat says:
    Jan 16, 2012 10:08 AM
    ==================

You’re living in the past my friend. Yes, the Ravens D put up great stats this year, but you’d better take a look at who they played before you anoint them as a “great defense”. Whole lotta cincys, clevelands and jacksonvilles in there, son.

The defense I watched yesterday was one decent quarterback away from getting 27-30 hung on them by Houston.

You honestly believe that defense is going to hold the Patriots offense to 17 points.

I think the Patriots may get 17 points PER HALF.

31. BTC says:
    Jan 16, 2012 10:18 AM

——————————-

Wow. All that and he still looks like he’s having a seizure when coming out of the tunnel. Win or lose next week, I’ll take comfort in knowing the Pats don’t have anyone who acts like that. He looks really stupid.

32. I’m sorry, why is it people think Ray Lewis murdered someone? Because of the technicality in Georgia law that allows police to level murder charges against a person who was simply at the scene?

As I recall, only one witness indicated that Lewis had any involvement in the violence, and that witness was proven a highly unreliable and tainted one at that.

33. jagsfan1 says:
    Jan 16, 2012 10:24 AM
    Getting a little ahead of ourselves – aren’t we Ray Ray?

So you are talking about winning this year AND next year?

Always felt ray was short for ‘overrayted”.

He’s been getting the Favre/Tebow media hype for years.

————————————————–

Not really sure what NFL you are watching but calling Ray Lewis over hyped is a truly idiotic statement.

I agree he is getting a little ahead of himself saying stuff about winning this year and next, but Ray Lewis is without question the best linebacker to ever to play the game. Until Patrick Willis plays 15 years in the league there is no debate about who is the best Linebacker ever.

34. I wonder if these two names ring a bell for good “ol” boy Ray “murder” Lewis.
    Jacinth Baker, 21, and Richard Lollar, 24, these two guys wish they were still alive and that Ray “aka” killer would have decided to skip going to the Cobalt loungue and the Super Bowl in the “ATL”
    If he would have maybe those two young guys would still be able to see their families and see their kids or relatives.
    This will never go away and when he meets his maker he will answer for those murders, good riddance, killer.

35. Ravens have no chance. Patriots offense will score more than enough to cover up for their defense.

Sincerely,
    Mike McCarthy
    and
    Sean Payton

36. ledhed1212 says: Jan 16, 2012 10:34 AM

Ray Lewis thinks the NFL revolves around HIM….

_____________

I believe he did let his play talk yesterday… how does 8 tackles sound?

37. Ray I think you were (WERE) the greatest ILB to play this game. Please just look at film from yesterday’s game and compare it to film from 10 years ago when the announcers called your name after every def play. You are now a shadow of your former self just like Hines Ward. Do the right thing and ride off into the sunset after this season.

38. realitypolice says:
    Jan 16, 2012 11:01 AM

———————————————–

Whole lotta wins over playoff teams on that schedule too (7 in fact). You might want to check how many playoff teams the mighty Patriots put up all those points against this year before you start comparing schedules. And while you are at it, check out how they did against the only AFC North team they played. We play defense in that division.

39. cd_ridge

“Hines Ward and Ray Lewis should agree to retire this year. I cannot imagine one being on the field without the other.”

_________________________________

You’ve just inspired my next tattoo. Ray Lewis and Hines holding hands in mid-skip under a goal post.

40. Good Luck In Championship Game Ray Ray..Your Defense Better Cause Some Turnovers To Give Your Team A Chance…Ravens Offense Is So Pedestrian And Anemic.

41. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jan 16, 2012 10:54 AM

======

Jack Lambert would stuff Ray Lewis into his locker without breaking a sweat…

42. You don’t think he’s earned this?? He’s the best LB to play the game. And don’t come back at me with any Jack Lambert B.S.
    __________

What about Lawrence Taylor?

43. So let me get this straight. People send condolences to the convicted rapist of the Packers ang praise marines urinating on corpses, but throw a guy implicated of murder under the bus? People sure have high values and morals these days. SMH

44. Hey,

To all pro athletes that are nearing the end…shut your food-holes. we get it. You’re close to another title. You’re taking stock of your careers and your priorities from here on out. The media hangs on your every word. This is the time of your life. However, if you win the Super Bowl, you will come back, because who doesn’t want to defend their title. Who doesn’t want to “leave it all on the field. If you don’t win the Super Bowl, you will be back, because “damn it,” I’m not having my last game be a bitter disappointment. When the season is over next year, his kid will be starting his second semester, Senior year in high school. That’s enough time, right?

45. harrisonhits2 says:Jan 16, 2012 12:41 PM

Sigh I can see this going on for years. Ray Lewis may soon = the new Lord Farve.

No, not quite. Ray Lewis = OJ

46. Well according to Ray Ray, if these guys don’t have football to play, they’re going to just go out and commit crimes. Isn’t that what he said about the lockout? He just wants to stay out of prison.

47. Ray Ray will be the new Brett Farve!

“I’m retiring! Wait! No I’m not! I’m going to play for the Bangals! But not before I have a lousy season with the Jets.”

48. Enjoy watching Ray Lewis now because there may not be another one like for years. As a Bengals fan (sadly) I have watched a lot of Ray and he is by far the best def player I have ever seen.

49. kate773:

_________________________________

Ray Lewis reads this message board every single day, kate773, and it’s going to hurt his feelings to know that you think he looks stupid. Hahaha.

50. This guy is a beast on the football field, and a criminal off of it. Hall of Famer, in any case.

Good luck covering Gronknandez on Sunday, Ray.

51. NOTE TO STEELERS FANS

Stop posting on Pats and Ravens articles.

You’re team was embarrassed by the pathetic Broncos and manhandled by the tougher Ravens this year. Congrats on your meaningless victory over the Pats, your season highlight.

Now, sit back and enjoy the AFC Championship game featuring the two best teams (easily) in the AFC this year, and don’t forget to watch those “Dancing With the Stars” re-runs, to re-live your greatest victory of the last 2 years.

52. These days Ray is maybe only the forth best player on their defensive unit. For my money Suggs, Ngata and Reed are more valuable and consistent.

Ray is more of a vocal leader and pre-game sideshow for the fans.

53. I saw Ray’s interview with Irving on nfl network yesterday. I think he may have had a few too many blows to the head. This man is stone cold crazy. I mean the ridiculous melodramatic drivel that comes out of this man’s mouth is comical. I couldn’t tell if the look on Irving’s face was of complete fear or if her was trying not to laugh in Ray face for sounding like a drama queen. If he wasn’t playing football speaking like that he’d be a crazy homeless man living under a bridge.

54. Ray is one of the greatest linebackers to play but being a Steeler fan I can’t wait to see him gone.

As to to patsfiend. Youe team was brutally beaten by that Steeler team that lost to the broncos.

55. Ray Lewis has deserved the right to call it a day when he damn well pleases. He is the best MLB of the modern era. If not for Ray Lewis there would be no Patrick Willis who is the closest thing to Ray other than Ray.

For all the moronic miscreants still making murder jokes, there is no help for you. Do us all a favor and jump off a bridge somewhere. Either that or come to Maryland and see the millions of dollars that his foundation has spent in Baltimore and the surrounding area. Perhaps you should ask the myriad of players that have his cell number and call him for advice all the time. He has paid back his mistakes in spades. The man is an icon in Maryland and will go down as one of the best football players of all time. Even at age 36 he is still mentioned as one of the best in the game. He definitely lost a step and his pass coverage isn’t nearly what it was, but he still has the respect of his teammates and competitors which means much more than the musings of miscreant morons with nothing better to do than slander a great person who admitted his failures and worked hard to make up for them.

56. Patriots can not run the ball. Ravens D will get after Brady. Pollard will show Gronk he can’t run thru all safety’s. Webb Hasn’t allowed a TD all year. Ray Rice and Ricky Williams will keep Brady off the field. We are not the Broncos.

57. All of you pseudo prediction specialists SHOULD know something by now…the heavily favored Ravens that played yesterday will NOT be the dogs that show up in Foxboro…Anyone with substantial football IQ knows what I am talking about.

58. pittsburghpoonslayer says:
    Jan 16, 2012 10:14 AM
    hes going to retire and get back to murdering people. what a joke

————————————————————–

Does this never end?

The 2 bozos with Ray were tried for murder and found innocent.

Do you understand the implication?