Tebow passes on invitation from CBS

Getty Images

The folks at CBS wanted to add Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow to Sunday’s conference championship coverage.

And Tebow passed.

Tim Tebow has decided not to appear,” CBS Sports president Sean McManus told Michael Hiestand of USA Today, via NFL.com.  McManus added that the network “is perfectly fine with the [on-air] lineup we have.”

(That last little part seems unnecessarily defensive.  If they were “perfectly fine” with the lineup, they wouldn’t have tried to tap into Tebowmania.)

Regardless, Tebow’s response isn’t a surprise.  We reported in December that Tebow has been rejecting such opportunities (including an invitation to host Saturday Night Live) because he desperately wants to remain one of the guys.

Even though he most certainly isn’t.

121 responses to “Tebow passes on invitation from CBS

1. baous says:
    Jan 17, 2012 9:49 PM
    Cue the dumb “he can’t pass” or “he finally passed correctly” jokes.

Ha…I didn’t even think of that but thanks for the water cooler ammo

2. It is impossible to overstate the enormity of this story. In the words of broadcasting legend Steve Doocy, “This…is…huuuuuuuuuuuge.”

3. This kids got more charachter in his pinkie than all his critics combined.

How genuine he is continues to surprise me. You just don’t see that in this day and age.

Very refreshing.

4. Now all of the people that are “So tired of hearing about Tim Tebow” can finally get what they’ve been asking for.

Though I know that 9 out of 10 of you would have tuned in to watch. You know who you are.

5. He’s a nice guy and everything, but he’s got the on-air persona of a religious Johnny Damon. Listening to Tebow talk about anything at length would have been sheer torture to viewers.

6. I believe it was Adam Sandler who said, “They’re all gonna laugh at you!”

Well played Tebow, well played.

7. Heard Katy Perry’s parents are trying to hook her up with Tebow. Listening and looking at Shannon Sharpe’s horse mouth, or getting some from Katy Perry? Tim made the right choice!

8. That’s a mistake.

He should start honing his on-air skills now. He will need them sooner than he thinks.

9. Good for him…he doesnt need to help CBS promote “Tebowmania” for their ratings. If he did go on I’d love to see him confront Boomer Esiason about his negative comments…and maybe blast him in the grill a couple of times…Oh well, one can dream.

10. I dunt liek tibo bcuz he tocks 2 much bout gawd n dat shud b prsnl bcuz it maiks peeple uncumftrble he shud b out rayping or prtnding 2not liek jeezus

Lolol bye

11. Regardless of whether you are a Tebow fan or not, this is pro football. His worthiness as a quarterback in the NFL will be decided on the field, not in a bar, or living room, studio or in someone’s dreams. So stop all the hype, and let the game decide.

12. Dude: Hey babe, I want to get back together, I miss you..
    Ex GF: No, I’m okay.
    Dude: W/E your a b**ch I don’t need you.

CBS is so sad.

13. Tebow’s two main receivers since he took over as the starter in Denver, Decker and Thomas, were both among the league’s worst in dropped passes this year according to Pro Football Focus.

14. Kid was already back in Dove Valley working out today. He would rather work on his game than help CBS with their pre-game and halftime ratings. Love this kid!

15. mrplow3 says:
    Jan 17, 2012 9:53 PM
    This kids got more charachter in his pinkie than all his critics combined.

Very refreshing.

____________________________

I don’t watch football for character.

16. I like Tebow and like the guy above said Tebow has more character than all of his critics combined. With that being said, I wish he would have accepted the invite to host Saturday Night Live. I would have enjoyed seeing him do that.

17. Damn, that’s too bad. I was really looking forward to hearing Tebow make a bunch of politically-correct comments and pretend as if God cares who wins football games.

18. Maybe his people realize that he is not articulate and it might be a bad move on his part. I have never seen him shy away from a photo op or a microphone, that is what my cynical self tells me. Maybe they realize that less is more…..
    Having said that, I think it is a really good move on his part and makes me respect him for this choice.

19. I like Tebow, he has great character and determination, seems like a great guy. But I am getting sick of the media trying to force him down our throats. Leave the guy alone. They build up these guys, give them tons of exposure and then wait for the chance to take them down or attack them. They make a lot of the audience root for a downfall because they are so sick of the constant hype over these guys.

20. Why would CBS need Tebow’s analytical point of view ? Marino has forgotten more about quarterback play, than Tebow will ever know.

And I like Tebow, I think Tebow is looking at it from a respect point of view.

21. Good for Tebow. The entire CBS pre-game crew (Marino, Cowher, et al) mocked him after the win over Pittsburgh. I like it when folks with character have the guts to say “up yours” to such jerks. Wish more debate candidates had the nuts to do the same to the wonderful “moderators” who ask loaded, agenda-driven questions. Man, the media in this country really sucks!

22. Okay, Tebow is a very sweet kid, but he’s not exactly a brainiac and he’s been in the NFL about 15 minutes…….

So to ask us to listen to him try to break down the Patriots-Ravens game? No thanks – he barely knows enough to read the plays off his wrist band.

23. Unfortunetly Tebows pass was late, wobbly and behind the CBS execs, leaving them confused as to the QB’s true intentions.

But seriously, ESPN should call him, it’s not like he could be any worse than Gruden.

24. Brilliant move, kid.

Go the Phillippines, chill with your foundation, come back to OTAs and get some work on your mechanics. Steve Young would be a good dude to consult with.

25. baous says:
    Jan 17, 2012 9:49 PM
    Cue the dumb “he can’t pass” or “he finally passed correctly” jokes.

===================

Cue the even dumber supporters of this “political tool” fraud QB.

26. If Tebow would have accepted this offer, there would have been 100 comments on here bashing him for being an attention hog.

Now that he’s turned it down, I’m sure the haters are thinking of other ways to bash him.

27. Good for him. He’s probably tired of all the “Are you aware your throwing motion is awkward?” and “How can you improve your subpar pocket awareness?” type questions/insults.

28. Say what you will about Tebow, but what a kid! I’m proud as heck to have someone like him for my sons to look up to! You go Tebow! Don’t let these agnostic haters bring you down! You are better than them and OUR youths need someone like you!!!

29. Someone please tell me what the love affair is with this fullback playing qb? Oh, its because he is a fullback playing qb…dumb me…..

There are many players in sports that are devout christian, and far better at their craft than this guy….but all we get shoved down out throats is this guy. PLEASE ALREADY!!!!!

30. Do people still watch these shows? The NBC one is okay since it wraps up the day games. But the pre-game shows are nothing more than the same crap that everyone hears during the week. There is nothing newsworthy about those shows.

31. What exactly was a guy with terrible mechanics, terrible footwork, a 46% completion rate, whose team had to run a 1950’s offense for him in the 2000’s, going to analyze for us? (To the tebow apologists, I’ll bet my last dollar that you’ll point out that their record was 8-6 with him but they won those games despite his poor play–you’re not going to convince me that he won with his lousy numbers).

To baus: This is the best pass he’s made all season. You can use that joke.

To bahshah27: I would have been that 1 who wouldn’t have watched, believe that!

32. Best news all week. We don’t need a scrub qb critiquing Tom Brady. Tebow’s throwing motion is about as bad as Jamarcus Russell eating habits and Rex Ryan’s foot fetish.

33. I don’t know Tebow personally as I a sure no one else here does either, so please understand the difference between character and reputation, that are not necessarily the same. Character is who you are, reputation is what people think you are. So reserve your character comments for Tebow, or any other person that you have not met and been around. He does however have a great reputation. Not a slap at anyone, just a point of view

34. “Tebow passes on invitation from CBS”

If he passed the invitation on, does this mean that there is only a 46.5% chance that the invitation will make it to its recipient?

35. Tebow seems like a real nice genuine person, but he is a very slow clunky speaker . I don`t think he would make a very good talking head …

36. tatum064 says: Jan 17, 2012 10:48 PM

baous says:
    Jan 17, 2012 9:49 PM
    Cue the dumb “he can’t pass” or “he finally passed correctly” jokes.

===================

Cue the even dumber supporters of this “political tool” fraud QB.

…say it to his face punk. go back to your mom’s basement and wak off

37. Tebow will be at confession on Sundays and taking the sacrament when he is not working as QB

Ok not a Broncos fan one bit but he did spark a lot of interest from people and a lot of people who don’t even watch football. I know the hardcore NFL diehards were tired of the media frenzy the same people who said he was a failure who later couldn’t get enough of him just got tebowed. Good for him.

If this guy gets a good QB coach to invest some quality time on sprucing up his passing skills lookout.

I think the last big tough QB was Steve Mcnair that dude was a beast and could pass.

38. trubroncfan07 says: Jan 17, 2012 11:06 PM

Good job Tim…Maybe the media will back of him for a minute. Pretty sad that the NFL has no other good stories going on right now.

LoL man so true like maybe the playoffs and the approaching Superbowl. I think these 4 remaining teams could use some attention for making it to where they are.

Espn/NFL network is turning into fox news

39. Why would Tebow do the media a favor after all they did was set him up on this giant pedestal to fail. Matt Ryan played worse and no one is crushing him. Good for Tebow, F what everyone says.

40. Going on television to do football analysis or an interview or whatever is a no-win situation for Tebow right now. Plus, I think his agent has probably advised him that we are all experiencing Tebow fatigue right now.

41. Exactly agree with the “9 out of 10 of you would have tuned in, you know who you are” keep throwing salt, haters.
    He might not be the best throwing qb but he’s the most refreshing thing to happen to football in a long long time.

42. Anyone else remember when Vick came into the league? He was all the rage just like Tebow but he did not have the same level of criticism and opposition. Why? He had the same QB deficiencies as Tebow except that his passes look better. Is Vick a better QB than Tebow? Compare their stats. Vick has a 56% comp rate ( with several years under 50%) vs. Tebow 48%. Vick has an average of 7.1 yds versus 6.8 for Tebow. QB rating is 80 for Vick and 73 for Tebow. Not exactly worlds apart! People come on here with stats and says that it proves Tebow can’t play in the league but they won’t say that about Vick. Vick will get probably get 15 years to prove himself but Tebow only gets 16 game and people want to run him out of the nfl. Tebow won’t need 8 years and a prison term to turn it around and become a pocket passer. Give him a real shot and he will win more games than Vick. Heck, he’s already half way there on playoff wins.

43. 1.He is still hurting from that loss to the Pats. 2. They are trying to use him to boost their ratings. 3. They going ask dude mad questions that I know he don’t wanna answer .

44. But yah gotta admit, he’s sure cute, my land. He ‘s a hottie.. So is Suh! We gals sometimes like to look at good looking guys, it’s not always about FOOTBALL you know!

45. mrplow3 says:
    Jan 17, 2012 9:53 PM
    This kids got more charachter in his pinkie than all his critics combined.

Very refreshing.
    ===================

In an era of cynicism and apathy, you would normally be correct, but the cameras rushing to him going to a knee is too scripted, and he simply had too many endorsements before he actually did anything.

His critics and his divisive ness speak to an era that has too much emphasis on sensationalism, and he simply takes the spotlight gladly far too often. He took a much needed pass on a guest appearance, to his credit.

46. condor75 says:
    Jan 17, 2012 10:09 PM

==================

Yeah, I think the game decided last week, when the Pats pummeled him into the ground. There is no hype.

47. baous says:
    Jan 17, 2012 9:49 PM
    Cue the dumb “he can’t pass” or “he finally passed correctly” jokes.

**************************************
    Really?

How bout the stupid “cue” this or “cue” that comments?

48. It’s funnier than hell how easily the low information segment of society (lets just call them the religious right) can be duped into providing ratings ($$$) for the same media interests they blast as being biased against them. Fools.

49. Patskrieg dot com says:
    Jan 17, 2012 9:57 PM

Hallelujah.

I tried saying something like this yesterday but it got deleted (despite the fact that my post was no more or less harmful than this one here). Not sure what’s going on with the mods lately, but whatever.

50. ravensnation3478 says:Jan 17, 2012 10:53 PM

————————-

Shouldn’t they be looking up to you who raises and nuture them rather some guy on tv?

51. supremeomega says: Jan 17, 2012 9:57 PM

Just go away!!!
    ================================

He said no! What’s he supposed to do, whisper it so as not to irritate you with even so much as his attempt to go away?

52. Wow, Tebow and pass in the same sentence. Clever. But why would they want an underwear model on to analyze football? If they’re going to do that I would prefer someone from Victoria’s secret over someone from Jockey!

53. For the first time, I can thank Tebow for something. Wait, what am I saying? I’m was never watching the CBS show anyhow.

54. This dumb@$$ can hardly put two sentences together when he’s trying to spew out all his Jesus love. How can you expect him to do this?

55. Heard it reported this morning that Tebow was injured in last weekend’s game against the Patriots, and has been undergoing MRIs for the past couple of days. That might also account for his decision to decline.

That said, I agree that McManus’ statement sounds overly defensive. CBS knows thatTebow’s presence would mean increased ratings, and you can’t blame them for trying. And even if Tebow wasn’t hurt, you can’t blame him for declining.

56. above should indicate torn cartilage on his first rib where it attaches to sternum. it’s nothing that won’t get better given a couple of weeks. but he must be in some pain. unless he changes his style, he is going to be battling injuries his whole career.

57. Seriously would you want to get back on TV if the week before you got totally humiliated on national TV. 9/26 136 , 5 rushes for 13 yards vs the 31st ranked defense (overall yards) in the league are you kidding me!. props to the pats defense for showing up were the steelers supposedly 1st ranked defense didn’t tho.

58. Too bad hes not gonna do it. I wanted him to check to see if Shannon Sharpes mouth really was stuffed with marbles.

59. Declining their offer was the best way of getting back at them – I am sure it was also an attempt on their part to continue the criticizing and finger pointing as they all watched the game. Haters beware, he will prevail!