Peyton Manning’s agent, father shoot down retirement rumor

R. LoweSB AP

We’ve established that Rob Lowe is buddies with Colts owner Jim Irsay. That doesn’t necessarily mean Lowe has the inside scoop about a possible Peyton Manning retirement.

Two of the men that are closest to Manning shot down the rumor that Lowe started.

“Noooo . . . he ain’t retiring,” Manning’s father Archie told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. “I think he would’ve told me.”

(I’m enjoying the thought of Archie or even Peyton Manning hearing this rumor. “Who said it again? On what?”)

Manning’s agent Tom Condon spoke with NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora. Condon said it was the first he heard of the rumor and he’s heard nothing from Manning about retiring.

Let’s consider for a moment the very small possibility that Lowe is right. If he was right, we’d fully expect Manning’s father and agent to deny the story until Manning was ready to talk.

If nothing else, this gave us a fun little diversion on a sleepy Wednesday afternoon.

It also gave Twitter users an inspired, popular hashtag.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Peyton Manning’s agent, father shoot down retirement rumor”
  1. darthbaiter says: Jan 18, 2012 4:54 PM

There you have it, Daddy says it isn’t so!

2. eljefe9 says: Jan 18, 2012 4:55 PM

Why is it that Archie is always the one confirming/denying/commenting on Peyton’s career? Where is Peyton’s response? Starting to seem odd that everyone is acting like buffers.

3. paleandpasty says: Jan 18, 2012 4:57 PM

This story is breaking at the same time Rob Lowe’s Lifetime movie is premiering.

Rob Lowe plays Drew Peterson in “Untouchable”

I am embarrassed that I know this.

4. jersey73 says: Jan 18, 2012 4:58 PM

Have we gotten confirmation though from Ally Sheedy and Emilio Estevez yet???

5. j0esixpack says: Jan 18, 2012 5:00 PM

If Rob Lowe is right, Mark Sanchez is breathing a heavy sigh of relief.

Hey, who knows… If Peyton does retire maybe Sanchez could be Lowe’s new “football buddy”

Seems to me they’ve already got a lot in common

6. ar1888 says: Jan 18, 2012 5:04 PM

Maybe Ann Perkins can confirm or deny this story.

7. romeisburningtfb says: Jan 18, 2012 5:05 PM

Do we all remember back in the summer when that Indy radio host broke rumors that Peyton would not play at all this year? Everyone denied that and called him reckless for reporting that. Well look what happened.

If Manning is smart he will retire. He has more money than he will ever need. With neck injuries, one bad hit and he could be paralyzed or worse. No reason to continue playing.

8. capslockkey says: Jan 18, 2012 5:06 PM

Where there’s smoke, there’s St Elmo’s fire.

9. youdownwithjpp says: Jan 18, 2012 5:08 PM

jersey73 says: Jan 18, 2012 4:58 PM

Have we gotten confirmation though from Ally Sheedy and Emilio Estevez yet???
    ——————————

Well played sir.

10. preventoffense says: Jan 18, 2012 5:08 PM

Why do so many have a hissy over Archie talking to the press? So they have a close relationship. I lived 1500 miles from my Dad because of work before he died. It would have been great to interact with him for those 10 years.

11. jjrs89 says: Jan 18, 2012 5:09 PM

“That necessarily mean Lowe has the inside scoop about a possible Peyton Manning retirement”

Were you so excited about rob lowe giving you a “broner” that you forget to proof read?

12. ammarradhi says: Jan 18, 2012 5:09 PM

I wish Archie Manning would just be quiet, that guy starts so much drama, when he doesnt need to say anything

13. deconjonesbitchslap says: Jan 18, 2012 5:09 PM

you posted it!

14. lolb23 says: Jan 18, 2012 5:11 PM

More proof Rob Lowe is a 130 year old alien. Peyton and Eli are like 14 and 12 in that picture.

15. deadmanwalking47 says: Jan 18, 2012 5:14 PM

judd nelson,andrew mccarthy,melissa gilbert,and the 16 year old girl in rob’s video in the 1980s say it’s all hor$e$hit!!!

16. gmen1987 says: Jan 18, 2012 5:17 PM

Go Google Bert Jones. He and Peyton have something in common other than being Colt QBs.

17. atrophiedambitions says: Jan 18, 2012 5:24 PM

Loose lips sinks ships. Irsay talks/tweets WAY too much for an owner of an NFL franchise. And now to spill the beans about this to an actor buddy of his before the Manning camp wanted to say anything about it? That’s just as stupid as it is inconsiderate.

I’m not ruling out the possibility that Lowe did this to promote his lifetime movie but at the same time, I don’t hear Irsay saying its NOT true. Since he’s the alleged source, shouldn’t he be dispelling instead of Archie?

18. dtm1088 says: Jan 18, 2012 5:29 PM

This is what happens when you use a guy who has never been cow tipping as a credible source.

19. boopipes says: Jan 18, 2012 5:30 PM

What’s the difference between 3 dicks and a joke? Gregg Rosenthal’s mom can’t take a joke.

20. Maximus Decimus Meridius says: Jan 18, 2012 5:33 PM

Archie is talking again??? smh

21. fissels says: Jan 18, 2012 5:34 PM

Lowe’s best role was in Tommy Boy

22. atrophiedambitions says: Jan 18, 2012 5:36 PM

Notice that Archie/Agent didn’t say “Peyton is going to play next year”, they simply denied that his retirement has been announced.

23. mrbigass says: Jan 18, 2012 5:38 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted……..again.

24. uraxcrunner says: Jan 18, 2012 5:38 PM

He’ll be a Jet within a few weeks

25. nineroutsider says: Jan 18, 2012 5:48 PM

You guys jumped all over football news “broken” by Rob Lowe. Way too funny!

26. nineroutsider says: Jan 18, 2012 5:49 PM

boopipes says: Jan 18, 2012 5:30 PM

————————————————————
    I can’t get anything through and you guys let this through. Unreal. My posts must be on automatic review or something, I don’t get it??

27. mjkelly77 says: Jan 18, 2012 6:29 PM

Sure. Sure. Archie’s trying to delay the fallout from the fact that sonny is collecting a bazillion dollars for doing nothing. He knew he was hurt when he raped the Colts with that ridciulous new contract.

28. skoobyfl says: Jan 18, 2012 6:34 PM

Peyton’s dad got him a carton of smokes for Christmas, pow.

29. irongershwin says: Jan 18, 2012 6:35 PM

If Peyton ever went to the Jets, Rex Ryan would guarantee a championship in football, baseball, basketball, golf, bowling, WNBA, badminton, tennis, and a Carnival Cruise Line shuffleboard championship.

30. insider7 says: Jan 18, 2012 6:42 PM

You can always count on Archie Manning to bigfoot the situation and speak for his son even though his son is a grown man who also happens to have an agent.

The old man just can’t shut up and butt out. He’s always injecting himself into the situation and trying to make himself the story.

31. fittytuckin says: Jan 18, 2012 6:47 PM

Archie is 5 Head’s publicist. Next we’ll be hearing, “Peyton has 28 million reasons to keep playing.”

32. jackblackshairyback says: Jan 18, 2012 6:54 PM

nineroutsider says:Jan 18, 2012 5:49 PM

boopipes says: Jan 18, 2012 5:30 PM

————————————————————

Dont feel bad. I called Rosie out for his Steeler slurping, now all of my posts get deleted.

33. goindy2006 says: Jan 18, 2012 6:56 PM

10 years of no off season drama and now we have this nutcase in the mix as well ROFL!!!

34. Rockets GM says: Jan 18, 2012 7:08 PM

What does Johnny Depp, Billy Bob Thornton, Dave Letterman and John Mellencamp’s sources say? They are celebrity Colts fans too… perhaps they have an inside scoop on Peyton’s neck.

35. teddybayer123 says: Jan 18, 2012 7:29 PM

From Eurotrip, “Scotty doesn’t know…”

The point is, Rob Lowe doesn’t know. Archie doesn’t know and ultimately, Payton doesn’t know. Time, rehab, a couple of expert neck-injury doctors, he takes a few hits, then we’ll all know. Until then, it’s all conjecture, creepy Hollywood star, dad or player.

36. gavriloprincip33 says: Jan 18, 2012 7:53 PM

Jan 18, 2012 6:54 PM

nineroutsider says:Jan 18, 2012 5:49 PM

boopipes says: Jan 18, 2012 5:30 PM

————————————————————

+++++++++++++

Join the club guys; we got our own shirts made with our names on the front…

Of course I have four shirts from the different accounts that I had to open…

I suspect that I about ready for number five due to some imagined slight towards one of the high quality “journalists” on this site….

37. backindasaddle says: Jan 18, 2012 8:01 PM

Archie will be pissed if Peyton doesn’t extract every last nickel possible out the Colts.

38. themoonshadow says: Jan 18, 2012 8:51 PM