Brandon Jacobs urges the 49ers to deliver helmet-to-helmet hits

Getty Images

Brandon Jacobs is ready to take some helmet-to-helmet hits.

Jacobs said today that he’s hoping the 49ers will hit him in the head when the Giants visit San Francisco, because he thinks it’s a lot harder to take him down by hitting him high than to take him down by hitting him low.

I wish like hell they’d hit me in the head,” Jacobs told NFL.com. “A helmet-to-helmet hit. I want one of those. Because that means they’re staying high, you know. They’re not going to the ground and trying to make tackles at the shoe strings.”

One player who may be willing to oblige is 49ers safety Donte Whitner, who knocked Saints running back Pierre Thomas out of Saturday’s playoff game with a helmet-to-helmet hit. The league office probably isn’t comfortable with players promoting helmet-to-helmet contact like that, but Whitner’s hit on Thomas was legal because Thomas was a ball carrier on the play. Helmet-to-helmet hits are only illegal on defenseless players.

For Jacobs, seeing a running back get knocked out against the 49ers last week isn’t changing his approach this week.

“I really don’t care how physical they are,” Jacobs said. “It’s going to be a football game. They’re a physical bunch; we’re a physical bunch. We’re going to be out there playing ball. I’m not afraid of them, I’m not afraid of anybody on their team, I’m not afraid of anybody in their organization. I’m ready to play football.”

125 responses to “Brandon Jacobs urges the 49ers to deliver helmet-to-helmet hits

1. Giants would be crazy to release Jacobs next year. Dude’s an animal.

Jacobs will posterize Whitner on the first play just as he did Woodson in the 07′ NFCCG.

2. The easiest way to tackle Jacobs is helmet-helmet, the ankles, midsection..pretty much anywhere on his body

3. Yeah, helmet to helmet! Bring it 49ers! Sure I may end up drinking my dinner through a straw but hit me with your helmet!

Dope!

4. Quite honestly if any players knows about getting tackled by the “shoe strings” it’s Brandon.

5. “A helmet-to-helmet hit. I want one of those. ”

What??? to knock some sense into that thick skull??

Man oh man….thsi is going to be a brutal game!

Winner get’s Mark Sanchez for the night!

6. In fairness, and I say this as a Giants fan, that’s probably the one area of his body where there’s really nothing of value to damage. Love it when the big man gets up a head of steam, but I have owned dogs that seemed like Einstein compared to Brandon. NCAA can talk about college players getting a free education until they are blue in the face, but Jacobs is proof that most of them really don’t get any kind of education at all.

7. Big mouth….little heart. This guy has talent for days, but it almost looks like he could be blown over by a strong breeze. I can’t understand why the Giants have kept this guy on the roster for so long.

8. He had a good game earlier this season against the Niner D hahahahaha. All talk, thats BJ.

Looking forward to see him face pain and suffering (#’s 52 & 53)

9. Considering Jacobs is usually running upright and doesn’t lower his shoulder, this might be an effective wait to bait the 49ers into a jump-tackle.

10. Giants fan here. Brandon isn’t the brightest build in the chandelier, but, with that said, when running north and south, one on one, you’d better go low because he can steamroll a mofo….

11. Lol Brandon Jacobs hasn’t been hard to bring down for like 3 years at this point. I saw dude get single arm tackled plenty the last few years. Be careful what you wish for, this ain’t the packers defense. Whitners hit was one of the nastiest I’ve seen in a while.

I appreciate the giants filling in for the jets in the smack talking dept this week, tho

12. I wish football didn’t have such strict rules like they do now. It was nice back in the day when they were allowed to you know……..PLAY FOOTBALL!

13. Oh Brandon, 18 carries for 55 yards against SF two months ago (3.1 avg) is reason enough to keep quiet. You didn’t scare the Niners D then, and nothing has changed.

Can’t wait for this game. Should be another classic

14. Brandon Jacobs has been hit in head at least once too much. He is an idiot. Go Giants, beat the 49ers.

15. Have you seen this guys melon?! It’d probably be a vast improvement. I think he is in hopes that he can avoid surgical restructuring and just go with attempting to “bang” those “dents” out. Good game plan Brandon…

16. This guy broke only 100 yards once, went 18 for 51 against the Niners earlier in the year, and is coming off a 9 rushes for 22 yards performance.

The Niners’ goal should be to keep him IN the game.

17. This guy is tough. Fortunately for him, NFL.com didn’t shatter that image by asking him about any of the things he is scared of (e.g. books, crossword puzzles, tax returns, spelling bees, counting his change at the register, long-division, window-tinting laws, etc.)

18. I don’t know why people are complaining about his words. This is what you want from your players. Would you rather him say, “oh man, I hope these guys don’t hit me hard.” This guy is a football player in a big game. I’m not a fan of either team, but I’m all about his attitude. Here is to a good set of games Sunday!

19. Because everyone knows the best way to reduce Jacobs effectiveness is to pound his legs. He is a SOFT runner and after a half of football getting his legs pounded on he shuts down consistently.

20. 9ers fans: We don’t need Jacobs or anyone for that matter to run up a buck-fifty on you. As long as SF is forced to respect the run (which they better or we will run up a buck-fifty), the real QB in this game is going to light your overrated secondary up for another 300+ and 3TDs. Indeed, I’d fully expect to see 2 salsa dances this game.

21. Lucky this dumb@ss has enough talent to play football. With some of his idiotic comments he makes, I bet life after football not be good to him. I cannot see any team signing him to a big FA contract..

22. Sorry, but as a Giants fan, THIS is the Brandon Jacobs I want to see show up this week. When this guy sets his mind to it, he can be an absolute beast. If he could get his mind straight and the right attitude (big ifs), he could really dominate. He has shown flashes and even games of it this year, just nowhere near consistent enough.

And he is right. If they try to tackle him high, he can knock them down like bowling pins.

23. Well, he almost made it through this whole week without opening his mouth and saying something stupid.

I just hope he runs as fast as his fast ass car!

24. gcbean says: Jan 19, 2012 5:15 PM

———————————————————————
    Exactly. I don’t see ANYWHERE where Jacobs takes a shot at SF. No trash talking, just getting his mindset right.

“It’s going to be a football game. They’re a physical bunch; we’re a physical bunch.”

I don’t know…sounds like a compliment to me.

25. i hope the giants use Jacobs more than Bradshaw. slow Rbs go nowhere vs SF. heck most RBs dont go anywhere but especially not a big slow turd like Jacobs. our MLBs are faster than him, much faster.

26. he won’t be on the field anyway. bradshaw takes them down to the 5 yard line then they give him the ball. what’s the most yards he has had in the playoffs?

27. Why do Giants players keep running their mouths?
    I haven’t heard a peep from the Niners except Coach Harbaugh heaping praise on that team.

28. Yeah because you were so damn authoritive and hard to stop the first time huh? Obviously from this stupid remark Jacobs has already taken way too many shots to the head

29. As a Niner fan I am not too worried about Jacobs, unless the Giants smarten up. The 4th qtr of the Packers Giants game I was scratching my head saying “Why don’t they just run Jacobs up the middle and kill the clock???”
    I feel the coaching staff doesn’t take advantage of his power running, then when they do run with him they run a sweep…smh

30. I find it funny that the giants are talking all this tough talk. I like the Giants..I’ve been riding with them ever since they beat the Patriots in the SUPERBOWL. That’s how much I hate the Pats.

The 49ers aren’t Trippin off it though. They love a fight. The bigger the fight…the more they love it.they been that way ever since Singletary became their coach. Now with Harbaugh its on a whole new level.

31. nflenthusiast says: Jan 19, 2012 5:01 PM

==============================

Can’t compare the Giants to the Jests. The thing is…the Giants typically backup their trash talk WHEN THEY talk trash. Plus they play hard for one another and their coach.

The Jests? They have a crybaby (Tomlinson), a blow-hard (Ryan), a pretty-boy scaredy cat/biotch a$$/sack-less (Sanchez), and a traitor/quitter/conscientious objector (Holmes). There really are no comparisons between both teams.

32. And in other news….

“a New York man escaped a mental hospital this week and has assumed the name Brandon Jacobs. While his most notable attribute is his size, this man suffers from a severe case of foot-in-mouth disease, dillusions of grandeur, and often instigates professional athletes in the NFL by painting big targets on his chest….and head.”

33. Jacobs ! Better be careful for what you wish for. Remember Steve Atwater smoked ” The Nigerian Nightmare ” busting through the middle.

34. The Giants fans talking smack are lust like David Copperfield. Watch how quickly they disappear after Sunday. Guys like Jake and Zaggs didn’t show back up until week 15 the first time.

35. Jacobs may have said these words, but that’s the media for you. They don’t care about your preparation it’s what are you going to say. They gave Jacobs the bait, which wasn’t even mentioned in this article and mentioned out of place on nfl.com, amd he took it eventually.

““I grew up a San Francisco 49ers fan,” Jacobs said. “I’ve loved Jerry Rice, I still love Jerry Rice. I give him a lot of credit for the game being the way it is today. I have nothing negative to say about Jerry. If he feels that way he feels that way.’’

Jacobs was asked about that play in terms of how he would handle getting hit so high.

“To get knocked out that means they’re hitting you in the head,’’ Jacobs said. “I wish like hell one of them tries to hit me in my head, that means they’re staying up, they’re not hitting me in the legs. That was a helmet to helmet hit. I want one of those. Because that means they’re staying high, they’re not digging in the ground and trying to make tackles at your shoestring.’’

So once again, people only talk about what they want to and not everything.

I will end by saying that I can’t wait for Sunday, should be great. Go Giants, do your talking on the field.

36. Well he said he’s not scared of any one in the 49ers organiztion..what he should of said was I’m not scared of anyone on the football field ever…his statement shows me he can be timid and where his heart is..Let’s go niners let’s take the little heart he does have if any

37. Wasn’t it the Giants who KNOCKED OUT the 49ers “star running back” during the first meeting?

Career Stats:

Jacobs: 60 TDs
    Gore: 52 TDs

I’m a guy who like to STICK TO THE FACTS.

Frisco fairies make me laugh!

38. nineroutsider says:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:31 PM
    9ers put in work on big backs too, how many weeks did Blunt (Bucs) miss after the 9er game…a month?

Let’s not get carried away..Blunt got hurt when a defender hit his knee as he was leaping. It’s not like he got knocked senseless and missed time

39. As far as I am concerned the Giants can do all the talk they want and display an arrogance to the level of the 07 Pats. Will make them feel that much worse when Frank the Tank is wearing out that front 4.

At least Frank Gore runs hard before AND after getting paid.

40. Maximus Decimus Meridius says:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:18 PM

===============================================

Consistently? Really? Do you have facts to back this up or are you just flushing the toilet (that is your mouth) to get rid of all that stupidity that is oozing out? All you 49er fans keep doubting the Giants….. Just like GB and ATL did…….

41. @nohopeleft

In 3 days you can go back to wanting to chase Eli and Coughlin out of town.

42. More chirping from the Invisible Man, who was a zero factor in the first meeting with the 49ers (and most other games).

43. @bigbluefan56

For every 49ers fan you see doubting the Giants I can find 5 Giants fans, 5 “experts”, or 5 fans of other teams doubting the 49ers. Stop reaching for the disrespect card.

Smith won a shootout with Brees and people are still thinking he can’t do it vs. Eli. So stop being a baby for no utter reason.

44. n0hopeleft – You are hilarious. Find me one NFL coach or GM that would take Jacobs over Gore the past 5 years? One, including from your own team!!

45. bigbluefan56 says:
    Jan 19, 2012 6:02 PM
    Maximus Decimus Meridius says:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:18 PM

——————————

Riiiiiight, because Brandon Jacobs is such a productive player. Doesn’t take a 49ers fan to notice he’s AWOL most of the time.

46. All the Giants seem to be talking a lot. Seems like the talk you would hear from someone who is scared deep down and is trying to pump themselves up. Nobody WANTS to get hit in the head.

47. jacobs = angry black man……. and like your other big mouth defensive player said be careful what you wish for…….. and im sure your not going to go heads up against anyone thats coming to make a hit at you…… youll duck your head and dodge… be a man take the hit and please get knocked out……

48. schmitty2 says: Jan 19, 2012 5:55 PM

nineroutsider says:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:31 PM

————————————————————
    True, but the 9ers have taken out plenty of backs with good clean football. Blunt, Best, Thomas, some other dudes that I’m forgetting, and Jacobs???

Super funny…Giants fans, for most of this year, were ripping anything and everything about Jacobs. The Jacobs of 5 weeks ago comes out on Sunday. Hell, the Giants of 5 weeks ago comes out Sunday. The more complete team my white a@@…

49. @n0hopeleft

Really, man??? TD stats comparison? Why don’t you consider the full meal deal?

Gore 10,000 yards from scrimmage. Jacobs less than 6500.
    Gore 6-1000 YD seasons Jacobs..2
    Gore has broken 40+ yard runs 20+ times…Jacobs..3

So Jacobs is great inside the 5 yardline, Gore is BY FAR a more complete back.

50. opshuns says: Jan 19, 2012 5:51 PM

Niners sure being quiet…..
    ============================

51. Antrel Rolle: “In our minds, we can’t be beat”

Antrel Rolle: “Be careful what you wish for”

Brandon Jacobs: “I’m not afraid of them”

How is that “trash talking” all week? That’s pretty mild. It’s football, grow a pair and stop being so sensitive.

52. “Frank was taken out at halftime and the 49ers still beat the Giants. What will happen once Frank plays a full game and gets going?”
    —————
    Likely the same thing that happened to the NFC rushing leader Michael Turner 2 weeks ago. Nothing.

53. wetpaperbag – “Not true. 49ers talked earlier this week about how they preferred playing the Giants vs playing Green Bay. Where have YOU been? LOL”
    —————–
    Where have YOU been? The 49ers PRAYED ON NATIONAL TELEVISION for the Giants. Get your facts straight buddy!

54. Bed wetters on this site are probably too young to remember the quote from this movie, “You don’t seriously think you’re gonna come into my backyard and knock me out do you”?

Movie – Rocky IV
    Scene – Apollo Creed / Ivan Drago presser
    Apollo Creed = SF
    Drago = NYG

55. I NEVER REALIZED HOW MANY 49ER FAN BOYS WERE ON THIS SITE, EVERY PRO GIANT COMMENT GETS TONS OF THUMBS DOWN….PATHETIC…WITH THAT BEING SAID G-MEN IN A LAUGHER 31-17…AND THE 49ERS FANS WILL DISSEAPEAR AGAIN FOR 10 YEARS

56. n0hopeleft says:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:55 PM

Career Stats:

Jacobs: 60 TDs
    Gore: 52 TDs

I’m a guy who like to STICK TO THE FACTS.

Frisco fairies make me laugh!

_____________________________

nohopeleft says it all,you coulda stopped there.
    Try explaining exaxtly what Jacobs has done on the field(Giants are last in rushing w/89.2 yds per gm)

57. nineroutsider says:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:31 PM

Oh, you mean like the 9er’s fans and Alex Smith?

58. See what happens when you play in the same stadium as the jets? Sooner or later you catch their foot in the mouth disease.

Hose that damned place down with Lysol after the jets have played there you idiots!

59. Come on God-del surly you can find a way to fine for these words of helmet to helmet. I forgot running backs aren’t in the helmet to helmet rule…their safety is not an issue..

60. Something tells me he will be on the sidelines convinced he is Batman by the middle of the 2nd quarter.

61. jacobs will be out of the nfl next yr. No team wants a 275 lb rb that doesn’t run between the tackles. I remember reading he has a love for training boxers. Unless its Floyd or Manny,good luck with that career move Brandon.

62. ima9er4life says:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:13 PM
    giants aint beat Green Bay, Green Bay beat themselves

You don’t know football. GMan defensive scheme beat them. Go ask Aaron Rodgers. There are articles out there where he credits them with the win.

63. Thats big talk for a guy who will struggle to get 45 yards in this game, at 6’4″ 260 plus he should be barreling through people like the bus, instead he gets pulled down on ant sign of first contact and runs softer than Danny Woodhead who is 9 inches shorter and 70 pounds lighter…

64. This game is going to be soooo cute and cuddly…I cannot wait….TO…Get your popcorn ready! Not too much salt though, your season starts in a few weeks, freak!

65. The niners have knocked out so many running backs out of games this year. (AFoster, FJones, McCoy, Blount, Best, Hardesty, BWells, Thomas). I’m willing to bet there will be another one added to the list on Sunday!

66. I am absolutely amazed at the amount of Nostradamus’ on this site. I can only assume that all of you who absolutely KNOW who is going to win this game have already bet the rent, the car payment, the kids college tuition, etc…

Everyone THINKS they know what’s going to happen. Until Sunday, why not just shut up and wait for it to get played out? God, most of you 4 year olds are really annoying.

67. He’s right.

Most people on here are too dense to understand what he meant, and he’s a little too dense to say it clearly, but it should be obvious what he’s hoping for here.

He’s not saying he loves getting hit in the head. He’s saying that if defenders focus on trying to hit him there, they are much more likely to miss the tackle.

Anyone who watched football this year knows this is a fact. For every jaw dropping knock out shot, I guarantee you I saw 10 DBs miss tackles in the open field going for the kill shot instead of tackling how they were taught.

68. If Brandon decides to show up and play the way he’s capable of and hits the hole hard and stops dancing like he’s a scatback, the Niners are not going to want any part of that. However lately dudes been reminding me a bit too much of his predecessor wearing #27, Ron “Tippy Toes” Dayne…

69. This is the guy who ran for 22 yds on 9 caries and 1 run ate up 14 of those yds!!?? GB defense line is a sieve compared to the 49ers. lol what a idiot!

70. You have to have a brain for it to bounce around in your skull. That’s why Jacobs is so big. His body wastes no energy on brainpower.

71. domeinate says:
    Jan 19, 2012 9:15 PM
    ima9er4life says:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:13 PM
    giants aint beat Green Bay, Green Bay beat themselves

—————————-

Yes, I was impressed with the Giants defense when Aaron Rodgers, with time, missed wide open throws.

Or when the Giants defense made sure that WRs/RBs/TEs dropped passes on their hands with no blue helmet within 5 yards.

Or when GB players fumbled the ball without it being stripped.

So impressive.

72. Too funny! Jacobs will have the Niners zeroed in on delivering the spectacular knock-out blow to Jacobs’ helmet, while Manning, Nicks, and Cruz are busy delivering points to the scoreboard. It’s no secret that the 49ers and their fans aren’t the brightest bulbs around.

73. hahahahaha

austrianpanther says:
    Jan 19, 2012 4:53 PM
    “A helmet-to-helmet hit. I want one of those. ”

What??? to knock some sense into that thick skull??

Man oh man….thsi is going to be a brutal game!

Winner get’s Mark Sanchez for the night!

74. Guess what Brandon has something that no on one the niners has a Ring after winning it all.

So all you haters keep hating yeah I know eli looks stupid and the Giants suck.

Did not give up a touchdown to the Packers and the Falcons but yeah they suck.
    So the mighty Alex Smith is going to do what Matt Ryan and Rodgers could not do? I doubt it.

Packers had 14 points given to them by homer the Ref.

Eli’s Coming

75. The quickest way to shut someone up is to hit them in their mouth; no one on the 49ers is worried about Jacobs — he will be irrelevant on Sunday!

76. The Packer receivers burned the giant DBs all day…just they forgot the other half of the equation which is to catch the ball or in Rodgers case hit the open receiver.

If you watched the 49er game I would say Smith is peaking at the QB position as well as anyone right now.

77. Post headline:
    49ers want to knock out Giants RB Bradshaw
    ” Six times this season the 49ers have knocked an opposing running back out of the game.”

Whitner on Bradshaw:
    “He’s going to be where our focus is this week,” he said. “We have to take him out of the game.’’

SF really is full of themselves right now.
    Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio thinks SF has already restored a winning tradition:

“There was a lot of talk about the great history and tradition of the 49ers,’’ Fangio said. “But my message to them, there has been a great history, but the tradition was lost. You can’t go nine years without a winning season and think you have tradition, and we’ve restored that.’’

Accuweather projects rain, starting around 1PM, going all day, through the game.

Should be very ugly.

Justice would be Whitner knocking himself out.
    This is quite likely vs Bradshaw.

I really dislike dirty players.
    A bit odd for this pats fan to root for the Giants,
    so be it.