Jerome Simpson indicted on drug charges

Reuters

In September 2011, Bengals receiver Jerome Simpson was detained after a shipment of marijuana allegedly arrived at his home.  Forgotten in a season that included Simpson taking a dive and making a flip, the only flipping Simpson may soon be doing is on his supplier.

According to WLWT, Simpson has been indicted on one count of trafficking marijuana by a grand jury in Kentucky.

He faces one to five years in prison.

Simpson’s girlfriend, Aleen Smith, allegedly signed for 2.5 pounds of “high-grade” marijuana.

A second-round pick in 2008, Simpson is due to become a free agent in March.  And that could be the last time the word “free” is used in reference to Simpson for quite some time.

93 responses to “Jerome Simpson indicted on drug charges

1. Do players get royalties when the NFL uses their image on highlights? I’m sure they don’t… but if they did, then this dude would have the dough for a lot of dubies based of the next 40 years worth of replays of that flip, alone. That was awesome.

2. What a bunch of freakin clowns. Seriously, your making millions of dollars a year and getting high is still important to you….

3. I truly don’t get these guys. You’ve got a dream job 99% of us would kill to have, making scads of money to do something you love, and you’re happy to throw it all away for some stinking pot? What are these morons thinking? Such a waste, there goes the Bengals most exciting rookie in years along with their dreams of catching up with the Steelers and Ravens talent-wise next year.

4. OH NO… He got the high grade… quick call the FBI, cops, security guards & mall patrols… He’ll cop a possession plea & be audi 5000… Book it!

5. another stand up guy drafted by the bungles!!!! trafficking!! i dont smoke,but i can understand personal because imo it should be legalized and taxed thus taking away the dealers! but to do that when you have so much to lose in a contract year as well is just plain stupid!!!

6. so hes going to get sent to prison for a plant but Donte Stallworth got a slap on the wrist for getting drunk (and yes alcohol is a drug) and killing a human…gotta love the system

7. Actually the rest of the report said with no priors he’s likely to just get probation, but that doesn’t sell website hits. Now lets talk football. Simpson is inconsistent and there was a good chance he wasn’t returning to the Bengals anyway… We’d do better grabing a free agent vet or another young talent in the draft…

8. Lets hope he gets off. Its weed who cares. I dont see why people are so against it. Smoking a joint is no different then having a drink. Much less harmful then drinking also. Just cuz the government says its “bad” everyone flips out

9. sudz28 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:05 PM

———————

Get a clue buddy. Jerome just finished his 4th year in the league.

10. I could care less who smokes – the idiocy of it all is having felony weight mailed to your house. He should have sent his lady friend out on a road trip…

11. Cannabis is the only safe intoxicant known to man. Most people need to wake up to the truth. When you beat on your body the way athletes do you need a break. Alcohol is a poison and is not a good choice, and nothing else in existence makes sense

12. cakemixa says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:01 PM
    Shocked that a Bengals player would be involved in something like this.

djstat says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:00 PM
    What is it with Bengal players?

****************************************

Really?

Kind of like the Patriots Nick Kaczur. An admitted Oxycontin abuser and smuggler, turned snitch.

13. So again I have explained in the last pot thread why sports stars use pot the right way. I also understand people like to use it for fun and I have zero problem with that. Anyone who thinks pot is as bad as say heroin or prescription meds or even alcohol is severely misinformed, and since our government has been misinforming us about it for 60 years now I can blame those that have been misinformed. It’s quite clear to anyone who has studied the subject that if pot is legalized it would be better for all.

Now again as far mr Simpson is concerned I think he is a moron. Why would anyone take a chance getting 2 pounds shipped to them in the mail? That’s just dumb. Also IMO 2 pounds is whole lot to be screaming personal use . For 3 grand these guys can build a personal grow set up and they can grow the greatest pot in the world themselves. Since they wouldn’t be selling it the chances of getting caught become zero. Untill this country stops being so mid evil about pot these sports guys just have to be smarter. And for gods sake if you make a million dollars a year you don’t need to sell drugs.

14. sudz28 says:Jan 19, 2012 1:05 PM

————

Thinking of A.J. Green maybe? Wow, and the NFL players you refer to are the idiots?

15. oldbrowndawg says:Jan 19, 2012 1:17 PM

This is why they’ll always be the Bungles.
    ———-

Because a player they were probably going to upgrade got in trouble. Bengals legal trouble jokes are old. Maybe we should discuss jokes like te Browns’ offense.

16. It is no wonder you failed as a lawyer. If this guy does a minute for a package he never signed for, he should fire and sue his attorney.

Also, why are there people still living in Kentucky?

Go Lions! Go Badgers!

17. why can’t we ever get an accurate complete story on this site?

first of all not “charges” A SINGLE charge. Secondly he’s not spending a day in jail – he’s going to diversion. Also no priors so more than likely no suspension.

18. Surprise, surprise. Yet another Bungal criminal.

How can fans of this “team” honestly get mad at players that don’t want to play for this hellhole?

Talk all you want but you know and I know that Palmer wanted out of this mess for good reason.

Ya, the truth hurts, too bad.

19. The war on drugs may be well intentioned
    but it falls ****in’ flat when you stop to mention,
    an overcrowded prison where a rapist gets paroled, to make room for a dude who has sold
    a pound of weed, to me thats a crime,

heres to good people doin time yall!” Nick Hexum

20. A Bengals player in trouble with the law. I don’t believe it!!

What is the deal with football players trying to be drug dealers anyway?!? What, making bank playing a game for a living not enough for them?

Whats really sad is that his career was on the uptick. He might have been due a pretty good free agent contract.

21. Yeah Good! I hate it when adults do things that don’t hurt other people with their own hard earned money made by doing flips, because it goes against something I believe! So I certainly want our tax money going into busting people who do a victimless crime!

22. An indictment against you is merely the prosecution dramatizing an alleged offense without you being able to defend yourself. $1k worth of weed is no big deal, and he’s certainly no dealer. That would have been his personal stash.

23. I am so against marijuana being an illegal drug. It doesn’t take a math major to realize that even for personal use, if you buy in larger quantities then you get it cheaper and just because you get it in bulk doesn’t mean you plan to sell it. What if he just meant it for personal use?

eaglesnoles05 was right. The war on drugs, though well intentioned, falls flat.

Marijuana is only illegal because the government hasn’t found a way to tax it, not because of the damage it does to you or others. Alcohol is a much worse drug and it was legal, then illegal, and now legal again after the Feds found a way to tax it and make money off of it. In fact, because it is illegal makes it more popular on the black market. Give up the war on drugs and only enforce it around school and when sold to children.

24. I understand players smoking pot but I don’t get why these morons are shipping bricks to there homes. Really? 2.5 lbs. So he buys a measly 7-8k worth of dope (felony) so he can turn that into a max (best case scenario) 12k. Wooo Hoooo! Sweet dude. You made like 4 g’s on top of your 3 million of legally earned paper. Well worth the risk and now you can brag that you’re a dope dealer. You are the man Simpson!

25. Predictably, this article got the potheads off their couches in their mamas’ basements and over to their Acers for a quick and typically incoherent response.

26. I am a huge pot head. But alot of you people forget that its weed deals like this that help fund ecstacy and meth labs that are contiuing to screw this country and its children up. Dont be naive. If you are buying in the pounds, somewhere down the line your money is going right back into the dirty drugs where they make more money

27. Must be a Wide Receiver thaaaaang, anyone hear from Sam Hurd lately?
    How about Rae Carruth?
    Donte Stallworth?
    Randy Moss?
    Marvin Harrison?
    Plaxico Burress?
    Santonio Holmes?

All these names (and the list can go on and on), but T.O. is the one that gets the worst rap out of all of them, and he’s only a knucklehead on the field, not on the streets!!!

28. @moolah954 says:Jan 19, 2012 1:10 PM

=================================

Stallworth had a guy run out in front of him. Stallworth stayed there until medical people and poilce arrived.
    We don’t know if he could of stopped if he was sober. He showed remorse and then paid the family. Should have spent more time in jail, but maybe if you mentioned Leonard Little I would have agreed.

29. I think that’s the stuff that Thurgood was selling to get Kenny out, that’s how Simpson was able to jump si high.

30. There is no war on drugs. It is just a way to pump up the need for police at every level of government and finance the multi-billion dollar prison industry. If the “war” was won, those waging it would crap bricks – it’s their meal ticket.

But we’ll keep electing them. Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. That’s America.

31. Love all the people saying weed is nothing and should not go to jail.

Look right or wrong it is illegal. And yes if found responsible should get jail.

32. I have to say I’m fascinated by the timing of this. If the Bengals were still in the playoffs would the indictment come after they were eliminated? I say this as someone who is a Bengals fan. Just kinda funny that it would take all this time for the folks in Kentucky to bring the indictment. Of course I don’t know how long this stuff usually takes, fortunately.

While he’s made spectacular plays, he’s been very inconsistent (caught less than half of his targets) so there’s been some question about whether the Bengals would resign him (particularly with this issue unresolved). With this indictment and probably and NFL suspension coming I’d have to say we’re much more likely to get a new running-mate for A.J. in the draft or in free agency.

If he’s guilty it’s just unbelievably stupid that he would do this.

-QG

33. Whether or not you agree the current Marijuana laws, ( which are questionable at best) they are the law. Jerome Simpson knows the law, therefore, he willingly broke it. As such, he should be punished. When I was a younger man I may have enjoyed similar activities, but I knew what I was doing could get me in trouble. I knew if I were caught I would likely be prosecuted, even for small amounts. So, just because he is pro athlete doesn’t make it ok.

34. looks like we know one of the many clients of sam hurd.

it doesn’t matter if you think weed isn’t a big deal or not for your health. this is drug trafficking and it is illegal, and even more so dangerous. look at Mexico: almost 50,000 people, many of them innocent, dead (brutally murdered) since 2006 all because of the drug wars.

until they legalize the stuff in this country-which i am in favor of- anybody buying or distributing drugs is contributing to the one of the most violent nations on the planet-mexico.

35. djstat says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:00 PM
    What is it with Bengal players?

*******************************************
    Ohio is such a shyyte hole that it draws out the worst in people.

36. and you wonder why Palmer wanted out of that organization. There has been nothing but criminals that play for that team for years. What a disgrace if you ask me

37. kfiz14 says:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:30 PM
    This guy is a real Canadian. I wish they’d all just go back to Canada.

===================

A place with rational, progressive people, with great health care and few judgmental, sociopathic gun wielding psychopaths there.
    Yeah, go back to Canada.

38. schilhater says:Jan 19, 2012 4:00 PM

———-

Again with the ignorant all-encompassing statements. Sure, punish Simpson, criticize Benson & Jones & others who have run afoul of the law, but I am so sick of statements like “there has been nothing but criminals that play for that team for years.” So, all 61 players (53 + 8 practice squad before somebody goes off on my counting) for years have been criminals? Reggie Kelly will be really surprised to learn this bit of breaking news! How would that work for you if someone committed a crime and everyone in your company was characterized as a criminal?

39. Not sure which is the more tired act.
    People making jokes about the Bengals or Bengal fans constantly trying to defend their players actions.

The jokes are old, the excuses are moronic.

40. Football players like pot as much as the rest of us. They just have more money so they can buy larger amounts.

41. Over the last ten years, the VIKINGS HAVE MORE ARRESTS THAN THE BENGALS.

Over the last 5 years, at least 10 teams have more arrests!

Learn facts sheeple!

42. @daveyjones1

“Whether or not you agree the current Marijuana laws, ( which are questionable at best) they are the law. Jerome Simpson knows the law, therefore, he willingly broke it. As such, he should be punished. When I was a younger man I may have enjoyed similar activities, but I knew what I was doing could get me in trouble. I knew if I were caught I would likely be prosecuted, even for small amounts. So, just because he is pro athlete doesn’t make it ok.”

No, the fact that it’s a bad law makes it okay. It’s not the right to lock someone up just because a law exists, even though you think it’s a bad law. Ever heard of jury nullification?

It’s also an incredible waste of time, money, and resources.