PFT’s conference championship picks

132699552_crop_650x440 Getty Images

After the home teams went 4-0 in the wild-card round, I decided to ride that wave of bad hospitality, and I picked the home teams to win in the division round.

But for the Giants’ 17-point win over the Packers, I would have had a perfect weekend.  Rosenthal, who picked both the Packers and Saints to advance, was 2-2.

So, yes, I won.  For a change.

This week, I agonized over both games.  Tempted to flip a coin, I probably would have been better off if I did.

Not just this weekend, but all year.

Ravens at Patriots

Florio’s take:  Yes, the Baltimore offense looked sluggish against the Texans.  During the regular season, however, the Texans had one of the best defenses in the league.  The Patriots, in sharp contrast, had one of the worst.  Still, can the Ravens muster at least one more point than the New England offense will score?  The internal offense-vs.-defense strife in Baltimore seems to be real, and it could lead to an ugly confrontation on the sidelines if the Pats jump out to an early lead and the Ravens can’t respond.  Also, the Pats’ defense quietly is improving.  Throw in the fact that the Patriots would love to give owner Robert Kraft something about which to feel good as he continues to mourn his wife’s passing (Myra Kraft’s initials remain on their jerseys), Tom Brady’s memory of a home thrashing two years ago from the Ravens, and a burning desire by Brady and Bill Belichick to finally get that fourth championship, and it’s hard to envision the Patriots losing.

Florio’s pick:  Patriots 27, Ravens 20.

Rosenthal’s take: This game comes down to two questions. Is the Ravens defense more dominant than the Patriots offense? After watching Houston’s running game push Baltimore around last week, I’m rolling with the Patriots there. Terrell Suggs disappears too often. New England’s tight ends are too hard to defend.  Second question: Does the good Joe Flacco show up this week? All season, I’ve thought a great quarterback would take the Patriots out in the playoffs. New England doesn’t have to face a great quarterback in the AFC. The health of Patrick Chung, Brandon Spikes, Dane Fletcher, and the rest of the Patriots no-names all help make the New England defense competent enough.

Rosenthal’s pick: Patriots 31, Ravens 27.

Giants at 49ers

Florio’s take:  The Giants are the best team remaining, with a high-powered offense to go with a staunch defense.  And I’m inclined to pick them to win, in part because I’ve picked them to lose twice in the playoffs and in part because a clash between the Giants and Patriots in the Super Bowl would generate enormous interest and ratings and page views.  But there’s something intangible, and special, about the 49ers and coach Jim Harbaugh.  All week long, I believed I’d pick the Giants, and that then the 49ers would win.  With rain likely to make it harder for the Giants’ passing game to fire on all cylinders, look for that hard-hitting San Fran defense and a potent-when-it-needs-to-be offense to find a way.  Yes, the Giants are the better team.  But the 49ers, I believe, will have more points on the scoreboard when the game is finally over.

Florio’s pick:  49ers 24, Giants 21.

Rosenthal’s take: Eli Manning has the fourth quarter reputation, but Alex Smith has the seven fourth quarter comebacks. New York’s offensive line is a weakness that hasn’t been exposed the last two weeks, but it will show up on Sunday.  San Francisco can get more consistent pressure on Eli Manning with their front seven and they’ll have the more consistent running game. Counting on Eli to keep converting beautiful low percentage third-and-long throws is a difficult way to win week after week. The 49ers magic will continue.

Rosenthal’s pick: 49ers 24, Giants 20.

Permalink 122 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Features, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
122 Responses to “PFT’s conference championship picks”
  1. mikeeg says: Jan 19, 2012 11:15 AM

Great, another thread with Giants fans whining …

2. nickmiller63 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:16 AM

In what sense are the Giants the “better team”? The Niners have the wins.

3. PFTiswhatitis says: Jan 19, 2012 11:17 AM

Wow, we all three agree, that’s a first.

4. bigeasysac says: Jan 19, 2012 11:17 AM

From zeros to heroes go 49ers!

5. jvibottomline says: Jan 19, 2012 11:18 AM

Giants are the better team???? They were 9-7 in the second worse division in football behind AFC South. Niners 13-3 in punishing fashion!

6. imopen7 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:18 AM

baltimorons putting up 27? Bahahahahahahah

7. austrianpanther says: Jan 19, 2012 11:18 AM

Thanks! I’ll take the Ravens and Giants to win!
    You’re picks are always wrong!! Stick to gossip and let the boys that know football handle their picks!!

8. chrisexv6 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:19 AM

I know SF has the best defense EVAR, but “New York’s offensive line is a weakness that hasn’t been exposed the last two weeks”? Seriously?

I know GB and Atlanta defenses werent nearly as good but Eli has had SO much time you gotta figure he’ll have at least SOME even against SF.

9. teddybayer123 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:19 AM

That you two miniature schlubs receive a paycheck notwithstanding, you have no real expertise here. I’ll go Ravens and Giants JUST BECAUSE you two didn’t and I’ll check in on Monday.

10. mattsffrd says: Jan 19, 2012 11:19 AM

Vote: thumbs up SF, thumbs down NY

11. jae121704 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:22 AM

Agree with the pics – but I don’t know that the Pats/Ravens will be that close.

12. We'reFineThere says: Jan 19, 2012 11:23 AM

I’m not a fan of any of the teams remaining but I think the AFC game is going to be a Patriots blowout. I’m looking forward to the NFC game which should be as close as your predictions indicate. And then the Superbowl should be a great matchup with either team.

13. thatobnoxiousguy says: Jan 19, 2012 11:24 AM

Can not stand Sissy Brady, the Patriots or their mouthy when winning/silent when losing, 10 year old bandwagon fanbase, but Pats move on to Indy.

Don’t like the 49ers ownership structure and how they got the team from DeBartelo, and despise that they encourage the gangs (fans) to fill Candlestick Ghetto Field. Despise the punks that gang up on fans from other teams,
    G-Men move on to Indy as well.

14. bubba9er says: Jan 19, 2012 11:25 AM

The Ravens’ defense is showing age. This may be one of the last opportunities for Ray, Ed and T Sizzle. I always liked Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, but I can’t stand Terrell Suggs.

15. thatobnoxiousguy says: Jan 19, 2012 11:25 AM

PFTiswhatitis says:
    Jan 19, 2012 11:17 AM
    Wow, we all three agree, that’s a first.

***********************************

Also, very sad.

16. raven410 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:26 AM

Once again..I’m gonna take the humble road. God luck to the Patriots! This should be a hard fought game and I think the AFC representative will win the Superbowl this year..With that being said I’m hoping for a Super Harbaugh Bowl.

17. skeebo80 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:26 AM

You guys are on the money although I hope Ravens somehow find a way.

18. mrplow3 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:31 AM

As someone who has seen nearly every 49ers game this season I feel this line from Greg needs to be repeated:

“Alex Smith has the seven fourth quarter comebacks”

Also I disagree with Mike, the Giants are not the better team. They may have a slightly better offense than SF but the niners have the superior defense.

San Fran is the better team and I think they will win a close game in the 4th quarter led by Mr comeback 2011 Alex Smith.

SF: 24 NY: 20

19. joetoronto says: Jan 19, 2012 11:34 AM

It takes real balls to keep picking favorites.

Right?

20. RedSox83 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:34 AM

Considering you both picked the Packers last week, as a Giants fan thank you both for picking the 49ers. They play better as under dogs and when they are away from Giants Stadium. Giants vs Patriots rematch.

21. thehuckster404 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:35 AM

Pats squeaked by the Fins 27-24 at home, when they were fighting for the #1 seed. Can anyone reasonably say that the Ravens are worse than the Fins?

22. southpaw2k says: Jan 19, 2012 11:35 AM

Maybe it’s the homer in me, but I just see the Ravens pulling a rabbit out of their hats on this one. The Patriots obviously want to win one for Myra Kraft (RIP), but the Ravens – despite their offensive questions – still have enough juice to win in New England in a close one.

Ravens win, 31-27.

23. hendawg21 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:37 AM

I’ll take NE 35 – Ravens -21

NYG 27 – SF -25

24. calwilliams06 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:37 AM

“…Tempted to flip a coin, I probably would have been better off if I did.”

Ha ha, classic Mikey F. It’s writing like this that endeared me to this site all those years ago.

25. rogerbrad says: Jan 19, 2012 11:38 AM

I finally agree with these two guys. I’m pickin the 49er’s and Patriots in the SB with the 49er’s taking all the marbles back to the west coast.

26. ike1973 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:38 AM

You’re both wrong.

Ravens vs Giants superbowl. You read it here first.

27. Henry says: Jan 19, 2012 11:39 AM

Sorry folks, but I see the Giants getting the job done this weekend in SF. Their defense is way better than what the Saints brought last week and they have the edge in big game experience and QB and especially at head coach.
    There’s something strange about Harbaugh, imo. He always seems to be on the verge of a meltdown. Just too intense or something.

28. jdandcoke says: Jan 19, 2012 11:39 AM

the rain will make it difficult for one of the best passing attacks in the league to work…..but it wont bother the one that was ranked 29th this year? do you guys think the niners defense, a very good one no doubt, is THAT much better than the current giants D? you guys did see what they did to two better offense the last two weeks, right?

maybe im nuts, but the fact that anyone is picking the niners here is just confusing.

sorry boys….any defense that gets five turnovers and STILL gives up 32 points at home should not be confused with the 85 bears. they are good and they do hit hard, but they can be beaten.

29. calwilliams06 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:41 AM

Having said that, calling the Giants the “best team remaining” and a better team than the Niners is just plain ole wrong. Deluded, even.

The Niners have more wins, largely better stats and also beat the Giants this season, so on what you’re basing your claim I have no idea. One win over the Packers, perhaps? But, whatever…

30. akulabug says: Jan 19, 2012 11:41 AM

thatobnoxiousguy says:
    Jan 19, 2012 11:24 AM

G-Men move on to Indy as well.
    ___________________________________

An example of the Pats mouthing off if you don’t mind?

31. packerstexansfan says: Jan 19, 2012 11:43 AM

Let’s go Niners! (Yes I’m still bitter lol)

32. sonoco says: Jan 19, 2012 11:44 AM

The Giants have the better offense, that’s it and that’s all. Defense, Special Teams, home field and mojo all go to the 49ers. I think it will be close for three quarters then 49ers, with one extra day of rest and no cross country travel, will wear them down and put them away with the ground game on a rainy/wet day.

30-20 49ers

33. calwilliams06 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:45 AM

And finally, my picks:

Patriots 34, Ravens 13

49ers 19, Giants 17

34. waxthat says: Jan 19, 2012 11:45 AM

thatobnoxiousguy says:
    Jan 19, 2012 11:24 AM

G-Men move on to Indy as well.

_____________________________

I’ll let your name speak for itself. smh. My wish for 2012 is for people to speak only when they know what they’re talking about. Brady a sissy? …you dont like 49ers ownership structure?

35. bobleblah says: Jan 19, 2012 11:45 AM

49ers will be the 11th straight different team to represent the NFC in the Big Dance.

36. madmax80 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:47 AM

Jan 19, 2012 11:16 AM

In what sense are the Giants the “better team”? The Niners have the wins.

———————

Yeah, but getting 13 wins when you play 8 of your games against the Rams (2), Cards (2), Seahawks (2), Brown and Bucs doesnt really count. They’re like the Boise State of the NFL.

37. noquickreactionshere says: Jan 19, 2012 11:47 AM

Ravens 31 Pats 27
    Giants 24 49ers 13

Pat’s D is much better than people give it credit for but I think Flacco is finally going to step up and shut people up this week.

Go Ravens!

38. blu4l1fe says: Jan 19, 2012 11:54 AM

I like the picks. I also like seeing the Giants not being the favorites coz that’s when they usually win. I can see the disagreements with 9ers fans regarding who’s the better team, record-wise and, maybe, home-field advantage-wise. Yes, there will be elements, specifically the weather, this Sunday that will make the game tougher than the usual championship. And I am not discounting the 9ers, their performance during the season and the playoffs. But if the Giants can win and can be beat, I believe the same applies to all the other teams that are still playing. Good luck to all. It should be a good game.

Go Big Blue!!!!

39. DonRSD says: Jan 19, 2012 11:54 AM

all this talk of the 49ers defense, yet they got crushed by Brees (just the Saints defense isnt too good)
    Eli threw for what, 500 less yards than Brees for the season which = 31.25 yards per GAME difference between the 2!!!
    yet you dont think Eli will carve up the 49ers defense the same way!!??

Giants win & Pats win

Hot team > the good team

40. tkebean says: Jan 19, 2012 11:54 AM

I’m so tired of hearing about myra kraft…outside of new england, who cares? People’s wives die all the time. Get over it.

41. ballinmore says: Jan 19, 2012 11:55 AM

As a Ravens fan I’m not going to say that I am the most confident I have ever been going into the game Sunday to see my team win but I think it will be a close game.

I just wonder how the Pats get everyone’s respect as this great team when they didn’t beat a team over .500 all year (I realize Denver was 9-8 going into last week so maybe they beat one)? Their division wasn’t as good as years past and they still found a way to lose a game. Baltimore played awful last week and the locker room issues this week don’t help but I think this game will be a lot closer and lower scoring than people think (They scored 17 against Pittsburgh and 20 against NYG the only two teams with a good pass rush they played)

42. jamaltimore says: Jan 19, 2012 11:59 AM

Here’s the hope I have for the Ravens. At the end of the Season NE had two games where they started out down by 17 and 14 early in the game. I don’t believe they come back from that against the Ravens or if they do the ravens will be able to keep pace and pull out a victory.

43. bunkmcnulty says: Jan 19, 2012 12:03 PM

@imopen7
    Why do you care? You’re not watching the game anyway. Remember, you’ll be pouting in the corner at gametime because your little team isn’t playing.

44. portlax12 says: Jan 19, 2012 12:06 PM

The Giants just went into Lambeau and obliterated the 15-1 defending super bowl champions despite some horrendous officiating that would have made it worse. The 49ers squeaked by the Saints after getting 5 turnovers (many of which were unforced.) I could honestly care less about who gets picked on here because they are wrong most of the time anyway, but the Giants have been there before and they are flat out just a more complete football team right now. Maybe this wasnt the case throughout the season, but right now they are coming together better than any team thats left. People are saying “oh the niners have the wins” and all that junk. This game is not about how the team has playe throughout the course of a season. It is about who is currently playing the best football. The Giants have given up an average of 12.5 points the last 4 weeks on defense and the offense has been explosive. I understand the niners won a great game last week, but this amazing defense that everyone is raving about still gave up 32 points. The offense won the game for them, but the only reason they were able to do that was because they were gifted 5 extra possessions. Furthermore, they did this against a Saint’s defense that is just not very good. The Giants may turn the ball over this week, but it will not be 5 times. When everyone counts the Giants out, thats when they are at their best. People will keep picking against them all the way to the Lombardi Trophy.

45. bmorelikeme says: Jan 19, 2012 12:08 PM

The only thing real about Baltimore’s “internal offense-vs.-defense strife” is the media’s insistence that it exists.

Easy to do when you remove a single quote from its original context to create a headline.

I agree with the coin flip idea. Both of these games could easily go either way.

46. zaggs says: Jan 19, 2012 12:11 PM

“Eli Manning has the fourth quarter reputation, but Alex Smith has the seven fourth quarter comebacks.”

Uh, first off Smith has 6. Second, thats the same number as Eli!

47. realitypolice says: Jan 19, 2012 12:13 PM

As much as I hate to say it, because I am not a fan, I think it is going to take a full offseason for opposing defensive coaches to figure out this whole “two giant fast tight ends who are impossible to cover and can score from just about any position or location on the field” thing that the Patriots have going for them right now.

Yes, I know they lost two games and didn’t get 30 every game, only TWELVE TIMES, but I don’t see anyone slowing their roll this season, certainly not a Ravens defense that got pushed all over the field last week.

48. zaggs says: Jan 19, 2012 12:13 PM

“nickmiller63 says: Jan 19, 2012 11:16 AM

In what sense are the Giants the “better team”? The Niners have the wins.”

Ah, because they dont play is the little girls division?

49. bigblaw says: Jan 19, 2012 12:15 PM

. Zed and the Gimp gonna put the rubber ball mask on Suggs and co. And Flacco ain’t No Bruce Willis poor Rat birds it’s ok you showered your coach with sports drink after THE FIRST GAME! You morons think you’ve already won something. Sad sad..ps. That sound you hear Ray & Ed. That’s the window closing

50. nannymcsack says: Jan 19, 2012 12:18 PM

although it’s been mostly mouthy, because the patriots only lose like 16% of their games. And i’d be willing to wager that, given a fighting situation, would break your nose with one shot, then go home and bang a supermodel. the only thing obnoxious left about you would be the sobbing

51. dsigrey says: Jan 19, 2012 12:22 PM

No way the Ravens score more than 17 points. Not going to happen, especially when they have to put it in Falcco’s hands to win it from behind. Pats 34 – 17

Let’s not overlook the fact that the Saints turned to ball over 5 times and still came close to winning that game and put up a ton of points. Manning can put up some good numbers, protect the ball and win the game. The Giants D is not as weak as the Saints. Giants 27-19

52. jhumbe says: Jan 19, 2012 12:23 PM

just soooooooooo glad the packers are gone!!!

53. maxl49 says: Jan 19, 2012 12:23 PM

“Yes, the Giants are the better team. ”

LOL !

54. roadtrip3500 says: Jan 19, 2012 12:30 PM

Mike, all month you say the Giants have been playing lights-out playoff-style football since the Jets game, then you attempt to convince yourself why the other team will win.

You were wrong picking the Cowboys.
    You were wrong picking the Falcons.
    You were wrong picking the Packers.

You’ll be wrong in picking the 49ers.

55. goawayeverybody says: Jan 19, 2012 12:33 PM

Has anyone seen the Niners schedule for next season? They absolutely go no better than 9-7. You heard it here first.

56. bigblue1212 says: Jan 19, 2012 12:38 PM

”Be careful for what you ask for”

57. hawks49 says: Jan 19, 2012 12:39 PM

Oh Giants fans… it’s cute how confident you are and how dismissive you are about anything pro 49ers. You may be hot but we have been knocking off hot teams all year.

The fact the 49ers gave up 32 points to the hottest offense in the NFL and still won should scare you. It just shows yet again that they can win regardless of the circumstance.

The Niners will score on you, the Giants will turn it over and you won’t have the 49ers attempting 6 FGs again. They will be TDs

This game will be close until the 3rd like the last game… Eli will get some garbage time points to make the game look closer than it really was.

Last time the 49ers played the Giants they played like garbage, got robbed of a turnover, had an INT off Ginns face mask in the red zone and Gore was out… who is their “entire offense.”

58. ebeg420 says: Jan 19, 2012 12:48 PM

You guys are right at the Vegas line, that’s no fun!!!

No guts!!!! Make a real pick!!!!

I’ll say Giants 31-10
    And, Ravens 34-24

BOTH underdogs, OUTRIGHT!!!

59. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 19, 2012 12:51 PM

@thatobnoxiousguy,

Its always funny to see a guy who’s probably fat and living in Mom’s basement calling Brady a sissy when if you took a single hit like he does you’d likely be on the way to the hospital.

I’ve watched Brady stare down pass rushers for years and take the hit as long as he can get the pass off. He’s quite tough and its laughable to see him criticized like that.

60. ampats says: Jan 19, 2012 12:54 PM

The constant mantra about the Pats schedule is hysterical. As any knowledgible football fan ( which excludes ssnyc knows that the schedule is pre determined based on the previous season. The Pats played the NFC East (4 games), AFC West (4 games) ,AFC East (6games H/A) and the 2010 #1 seeds from the 2010 season, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. As a matter of fact since the Patriots perinially win the AFC East they always end up with the #1 seed. Next season they will play the NFC West, AFC South, AFC East and Denver #1 seed TY in AFCW and the Ravens.

The Patriots are on a roll and it will be very difficult for a Ravens team that can’t seem to win outside of M&T (Steelers is there SB) 4-4 and almost losing at Arizona. In January 2010 playoff game most Pats fans will admit we were not the least bit surprised they lost after losing Welker on top of a mentally weak team.

This is a different team. Two best teams in AFCC.

If the Pats get up by a couple of scores, everyone in Baltimore should turn out the lights as the party will be OVER!

61. guitarkevin says: Jan 19, 2012 12:54 PM

I love how everyone is writing off the Ravens. It’s funny how everyone is blinded by the fact that The Pats put up a great offensive showing last week and defensively snubbed the Broncos. The Pats haven’t faced the caliber defense this year that they will be facing in the Ravens. And the Ravens offense will be way more productive against the Pats defense than they were against Houston. I also love the Ravens special teams over the Pats. Cundiff, since resting his foot has been lights out. Sam Koch is money and the Ravens got some nice turnovers in that respect too.

Ravens over the Pats by 6

62. youguysaretotalnerds says: Jan 19, 2012 12:55 PM

It literally shocks me how quickly people are counting out Baltimore.

The Ravens have faced top 10 defenses TWELVE(count them) times this year. In those games they have averaged 24 points per game. If you think the statistically 4th worst pass defense in NFL history(HISTORY) will do a good job of keeping the Ravens under 30, you are just buying into the Pats hype machine this week.

Now I understand they are all different teams, different years, etc. But Tom Brady has NEVER put up 30+ points on the Ravens in his career. The core pieces of that defense have been around long enough that its safe to assume they know how to contain Brady.

The only difference in the past has been the Ravens’ lack of offensive firepower. They have an offense that’s good enough this year. Coupled with the 31st ranked D in the league.

You do the math.

63. goniners18 says: Jan 19, 2012 12:55 PM

@madmax80

You mean the same Seattle team that beat the Giants in NY? Arizona won 8 games and Seattle won 7, people need to quit pretending the NFC West is as bad as last year. In fact it was better than the NFC East this year.

The Giants lost TWICE to 5-11 Washington (the Niners won in DC), TWICE to Philly (whom the Niners beat in Philly), plus the aforementioned home loss to Seattle (the Niners swept them).

In the regular season, the Giants played only 4 playoff teams (New England, New Orleans, San Fran, Green Bay) all year and beat exactly ONE (New England) . Yet they still managed to only go 9-7 . The Niners on the other hand were 4-1 vs playoff teams (beat Detroit, New York, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, lost to Baltimore) on their way to 13-3.

If anyone benefited from an easy schedule to sneak into the playoffs, it was the Giants.

64. promin1 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:06 PM

LOL at you little 49r fans. I see you have made out of your holes. Where have you been for the last 10 years? I’ve seen some pretty delusional fan bases, but you guys are just looking foolish. First of all, the Giants have something like 18 players on IR and have still made it this far. The first game they played each other, look at the box score. Even with out their best RB, pass rusher, linebacker and 2 turnovers the Giants still out gained your team and went right down the field when it counted on your defense at the end of the game. Yes, the 49rs squeaked out the win, but that won’t happen again. The Giants defense just shut down an offense that makes yours look like a pop warner team and you think Alex Smith (LMAO) is gonna move the ball on the Giants?!! The Giants are the better team and they are going smoke the 9rs this Sunday. 28-14. Now back to your holes.

65. bigbluecrew420 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:08 PM

Mike F should just come out and say he hates the G-Men!
    Obviously thinking with his heart and not his head…
    The gmen held GB to 20 points with 14 points coming after the officials gave the ball back to the packers twice in two of the worst calls any of us gave seen all season.
    Giants pass rush is unstoppable and the secondary is scary as well.
    Of course the 9ers are a great team but the giants ( mostly Eli ) is so calm and cool in games like this.
    Alex smith only time will tell but this week will just be a learning experience as to what not to do in championship games.

Giants 24-10

Pats 24-10

66. rd3777 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:14 PM

Which team has played their game all year against all comers? Niners! The Saints were easily the best team that both the Giants and 49ers played all year and the 49ers won and the Giants lost. Home field advantage and the 49ers will dominate with the best defense in the NFL.

The Giants will be wondering WTF happened,as the 49ers totally dominate all 3 phases of this game. Too much speed and a wicked way of hitting and determination……

49ers 38 Giants 17

67. southpaw2k says: Jan 19, 2012 1:20 PM

youguysaretotalnerds says:
    Jan 19, 2012 12:55 PM

It literally shocks me how quickly people are counting out Baltimore.

You do the math.

————————————————–

My friend,

You have made your case for the Ravens far better than I ever could. Nicely done.

WIN ONE FOR REED.

68. kingofthenorth92 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:24 PM

Anyone else hope the Ravens win just because they’re sick of seeing the pats and steelers in the super bowl every year?

69. bosfaninva says: Jan 19, 2012 1:25 PM

“I love how everyone is writing off the Ravens. ”

“It literally shocks me how quickly people are counting out Baltimore.”

Enough with the silly strawmen, Baltimorons! No one is “writing off” or “counting out” the Ravens, least of all the Pats players and coaches, which is really all that matter.

Let me guess, you also think Ed Reed was really trying to motivate Joe Flacco too?

GO PATS!

70. bosfaninva says: Jan 19, 2012 1:29 PM

Just remember, Ravens fans: When your team beat the Pats in 2010, they didn’t have Welker OR Gronkowski OR Hernandez.

Best of luck. Keep hanging your hopes on those defensive rankings.

71. havok82 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:31 PM

The Giants are everyone’s sexy pick because of 2007. Did anyone check out what the weather forecast is going to be in SF? It is going to rain there over the next 3-4 days. It is supposed to be windy as well. That’s weather fit for this year’s Niners. Not a more pass happy G Men. That can hurt them.

As for the AFC, I think it will be a 2 score game the whole way through. No way I could imagine the Pats just walking over the Ravens, but if they execute, they win. They didn’t execute in 2009 and it cost them.

72. cap1378 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:32 PM

Giants vs Patriots

FYI. Giants had one of the toughest schedules in the nfl this year

73. thesportgenius says: Jan 19, 2012 1:35 PM

What I don’t get are the clueless G fans dissing the Niners & NFC west…you do realize the NFC east has an identical W-L record? As the Big Tuna says…”you are what your record says you are”. Niners have a better record and have gone 5-1 against playoff teams this season, already beat the Giants once and have home field. Doesn’t mean they will win on Sunday but enough already with the stupid smack. You guys are underdogs for a reason.

74. sportsguybayarea says: Jan 19, 2012 1:41 PM

49ers vs Patriots

75. lionsplayoffs says: Jan 19, 2012 1:43 PM

Not smart to bet against Frank Gore.

76. rockyd87 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:56 PM

Throw everything from the regular season out the window. You can’t figure out what will happen with the 49ers and Giants based on stats and their previous meeting.

I am a huge Giants fan, but both of these teams are different/better now than at any point in the regular season. I think this game is a coin flip, and I don’t see either team winning by more than 7 points.

Neither of theses team is a juggernaut, and it will come down to execution. Quite frankly, that scares me since the 49ers have been all but perfect in that sense.

77. barryblogs says: Jan 19, 2012 1:57 PM

Patriots and Giants have big edge at QB – Brady and Eli are the difference and take Pats and Giants to SB rematch.

78. bunkmcnulty says: Jan 19, 2012 1:59 PM

I tend agree with the picks. I am a Ravens fan and think we will have a tall order this week.

However, while the Pats fans are quick to point out they have more formidble weapons than in 2009, likewise, the Ravens Defense, especially the secondary is improved from 2009. Add Smith, Williams, Pollard, and Webb (who had a torn his ACL 3 weeks before that playoff game in 2009). Carr was probably our best cover corner at that time. Carr was a healthy scratch last week. In many ways that secondary for the 2009 team was it’s weakest link.

Unlike many arrogant Pats fans, I won’t boldly predict that my team will win. That’s just stupid talk and talk is cheap. But I will say, the personnel is way different on both sides of the ball this Sunday. It’s only fair to look at ALL changes from 2 years ago.

79. morty999 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:11 PM

thehuckster404 says:
    Jan 19, 2012 11:35 AM
    _________________________________
    Ridiculously irrelevant statement. First, Dolphins played very well down the stretch. Secondly, anyone can find a game or two that looks bad.

Ravens lost to arguably the worst team in football, the Jaguars, 12-7. Other non-playoff teams the Ravens lost to…..Seahawks, Titans, and they got blownout by a bad Chargers team. Baltimore flat out stinks on the road. They were 4-4 on the road and two of those wins were against two horrible teams….Rams and Browns.

80. otrd13 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:12 PM

the giants are clearly the better team playing better football. all ive read here from retarded 9ers fans is record and our defense. well the pack was 15-1 and were absolutely manhandled worse than the score would indicate and the giants defense essentially held the best outdoors offense in the league to 6 points. The saints offense is still probably the second best outdoors but the 9ers gave up over 30 to that team. At this moment the giants are MUCH HEALTHIER and playing better defense. They have the edge in WRs, QB, and because their run defense will shut down gore and company again they will have the edge in every category except special teams. Rain will be the only game changing factor here that could swing things to the 9ers. theyre a great team but not playing as well as the giants are right now, i know your all excited for a miraculous win but the gmen dint need any miracles to stop rogers, lets see what smiths made of.

81. otrd13 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:13 PM

correction: id put the pats at number 2 outdoor offense.

82. stevenreichert says: Jan 19, 2012 2:13 PM

Pats vs. G-Men SB rematch!

83. promin1 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:17 PM

@thesportmoron
    The Giants are 2.5 pt underdog. The home team always gets 3 pts. That means they really aren’t favored. So much for your 13-3 record vs. 9-7. It means nothing. And for all the weather forcasters out there, the field will be covered until game time, not to mention every NFL player says a sloppy field favors the offenses. Who has the better offense?? The NEW YORK GIANTS. 9rs are going to get rolled this Sunday just like the Packers did. And ya’ll know it.

84. leonhart55 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:25 PM

What I find most interesting about the fact that everyone is picking the Patriots are some of the reasons why that are 100% lopsided towards the Patriots. I mean maybe you guys don’t know this but Art Modell’s wife Pat died this year too so the Ravens former (but still very much present) owner is also in mourning.
    Also this is Baltimore team that’s been here for the second time in 2 years and hell bent on making it to the championship. Anyone and I mean anyone who thinks that the Patriots players and coaching staff have more desire than the Ravens to win this game must be crazy. That’s not even something that can be measured and if it could, it would probably come out even.
    Then there’s the tight ends. Ok they have two great tight ends, yeah they create match up problems but their receivers don’t so they have to use them as much as they do and people seem to not see the fault in that. The Patriots played 2 yeah that’s right 2, teams with winning records this year and lost both those games and it was no coincidence. Everything seems unstoppable when your playing teams that can’t stop it.
    Lastly, I just can’t figure out why everyone is so in love with these new age offenses. Two out of the three 5k passers are home and if the Ravens win that should send a serious message to you all when the third is too. Throw in the fact that Drew Brees’ other 5k season and Marino’s ended in no championships and it makes it even crazier. If you don’t have a good team it doesn’t matter how much your QB throws and how good he is. Tom Brady won 3 championships putting up Flacco numbers because he had a good team around him but hasn’t won one since. And all the people who bring up the offenses that have recently won championships would be wise to realize that they all had top ten defenses that year. The Ravens will win this game.

85. pastabelly says: Jan 19, 2012 2:26 PM

The Patriots defense seems to be getting healthy at the right time. Baltimore was 4-4 on the road. These are the main reasons the Patriots are more than a touchdown favorite on Sunday. As far as the Giants go, they are the hottest team going on both sides of the ball. After watching what they did to Atlanta and Green Bay, it’s hard to argue against them.

86. somesome says: Jan 19, 2012 2:34 PM

Flacco has played the arguably top three defense this year Steelers (twice), Texans (twice) and San Fran and he came out 5-0.

The point is, Flacco is NOT playing Brady, Gronk, Hernandez and Welker, that is what all you Pats fans are missing – he is playing your god awful D.

The point is NOT for our D to stop your offense, which if given enough time is impossible.

The goal is for Rice and Ricky to take their good ole time and keep your stars on the bench and for our D to make a few plays when the opportunity is there. Nothing is asked of Flacco other than NOT TO TURN IT OVER. 200 yards, 2TDs and no INTs like against the Texans is more than enough, the rest will have to come from the rushing game.

87. flockofravens says: Jan 19, 2012 2:38 PM

in any game, a player’s composure matters. this is especially true in a championship game. and HERE the advantage actually DOES go to Flacco.
    Flacco just does not get flustered. he gets sacks…no fluster. some of his best passes are dropped…no fluster. the offensive line sometimes just doesn’t protect long enough…no fluster. he gets up, goes on, and many more times than not…goes on to win.
    now, we see a different game temperament with Brady. yes, he’s precise…when his forward path is protected in the pocket. yes, he demonstrates a keen, focused drive when his passes are caught. yes, he demonstrates great calm and ease of effort when he remains standing. but what about when he is sacked? what about when his passes are dropped? on the sidelines, the gatorade tub gets up-turned, he throws objects to the ground, and even gets into it with coaching staff.
    so…for all the vaunted praise…and for all his success WHEN EVERYTHING is going well, Brady becomes a little in-hinged when the going gets tough. and the ravens’ defense is going to make the going tough. it promises to be quite a game.

88. emcb1230 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:39 PM

Ravens are 7-0 versus playoff teams. They’ve also faced every team in the top 10 for defense except for the Eagles.

Meanwhile the Pats haven’t beaten a team that finished with a winning record.

24-20 Ravens

89. emcb1230 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:41 PM

morty,

I love how the you mention that the Ravens lost to the Jags. Didn’t you all lose to an incredibly mediocre Bills team? Is that relevant?

90. nard100 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:48 PM

jvibottomline says:
    Jan 19, 2012 11:18 AM

————————————————–

That’s cute coming from a team that plays the Rams, Seahawks and Cards. I guess the NFC West is “Comin alive” now huh? While I’m a Giants fan, it’s easy to give props to the Niners. They won the division (hitsorically the worst in football for years now). They beat the Saints (dome team away from home that got beat last year by a 7-9 team). They beat the Giants this year because of gadgets and stunts. Don’t get me wrong, well executed, but stunts and gadgets. We had 2 rookie special teamers playing line backer and our D-Line was hurt. So please, bring on the onside kicks and the D-line stunts and your vaunted running game. Just remember Alex Smith is not Aaron Rodgers, and we destroyed Rodgers. Also, about the NFC EAST, as far as SB appearances (21) and wins (11), it’s not really close and by 3 different teams in the division.

My point is that the Giants have history and experience. Don’t bother trying that end around run on Sunday, because Boley and JPP will waiting to crush it! Go Giants!

91. turgidsen says: Jan 19, 2012 2:52 PM

hawk49 says:
    Jan 19, 2012 12:39 PM

————————————————————————————————————–

I’m not a Giants nor am I 49ers fan but I saw this and laughed so hard I spit up my drink.

1. What hot teams have you been knocking off all year?
    The Rams ?
    The Seahawks?
    The Cardinals? Snap! you lost one to them
    Oh I know the Redskins or maybe the Eagles?
    The Giants at time when they were not playing well and down a few defensive linemen?
    Wait Was it Tampa Bay?
    Cleveland?
    The steelers with an injured Ben(not exactly a team on fire at that time.

Please name a hot team on that list at the time the 49ers played them

The Giants have only turned the ball over once in these past two playoff games .. So what are you basing your turnover comment on .

Oh and if you think that Gore is your “entire offense” Then the 49ers are in bad shape against the Giants. All of the Giants defensive line is healthy. It appeared to me last week that Alex Smith and Vernon Davis was the majority of your offense. That would play beteer against the Giants.

Dude, You claim to be a 49er fan but have no clue what you are talking about .

92. Pat MyHog says: Jan 19, 2012 2:56 PM

So looking forward to the Patriots beat down of the Ravens this week so we don’t have to listen to any more Baltimoron whiners talking about how their team and pathetic quarterback get no respect. The Ravens are the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL.

93. havok82 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:59 PM

FWIW, the Pats played 10 games against teams that were .500 or better. They went 8-2.

Jets (twice), SD, Oak, Denver (twice), Dallas, Philly with losses to Giants and Steelers. If the Pats had lost to any of those teams, you know you would hear all about it. The Giants are a prime example. If they beat the Giants, they finish at 8-8 and maybe out of the playoffs. You count the loss against them, but give them no credit for a win. You can’t have it both ways.

94. goldrush36 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:01 PM

@promin1 i have worked at the casinos setting the pointspread. You have absolutelty zero clue what you are talking about. “The home team always gets 3 points” smdh. Crawl back under a rock with that nonsense

95. emcb1230 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:06 PM

wrong Havok. Look at all those teams records. 9-9 (broncos) at best. every other team you listed finished at 8-8 or worse.

96. Pat MyHog says: Jan 19, 2012 3:09 PM

emcb1230 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:39 PM

Meanwhile the Pats haven’t beaten a team that finished with a winning record.

24-20 Ravens

—————————————————

This has been hashed up over and over this week. That’s great the Ravens faced a lot of tough defenses. They only faced one top ten offense this year and got SPANKED by the Chargers. Ravens are also a different team on the road than at home. Add in the fact that Patriots seem to be peaking after playing a full 60 minute game on offense and defense whilst the Ravens looked like they would have lost if not for TJ Yates and that is why most people are picking the Patriots to win.

Patriots dominate, Ravens fans cry another year…

Patriots 34 – 17

97. wtf_seriously says: Jan 19, 2012 3:11 PM

akulabug says:
    Jan 19, 2012 11:41 AM
    thatobnoxiousguy says:
    Jan 19, 2012 11:24 AM

G-Men move on to Indy as well.
    ________________________________
    An example of the Pats mouthing off if you don’t mind?

————————————————-
    Thatobnoxiousguy, allow me…
    Pats fans troll and mouth off on other team’s posts all the time, except when their own team is handed a loss, like last year’s playoffs. Just one example from today’s Jets story about Ladanian’s comments on Holmes vs. Sanchez…

ampats says:
    Jan 18, 2012 9:43 PM
    This team has become the laughingstock of the NFL.Looking forward to the 50th anniversary celebration in 2018/2019 !
    PS To all the 28-21 fans HAHAHAHAHA
    How do you like your jests now????????????????
    With the first pick in the 2013 draft the NY jets select ———————

And that is just one example. Pats fan that trolls every story and posts junior high crap like that.
    I’m not going digging for more evidence. It’s just not worth the additional effort.

98. blu4l1fe says: Jan 19, 2012 3:11 PM

hawks49 says:
    Jan 19, 2012 12:39 PM

———————————————-

I have to give it to you for almost convincing me. Good job in pointing out facts, not only from the regular season game between the two teams where the 9ers one, but also from the Saints-9ers game where the 9ers scored 32 points and still won. But I have to say, your comment or argument, for that matter, goes downhill from there.

We should be scared? Seriously dude? Ok, first off, this is a team that shouldn’t even be in the playoffs. YES, I admit it, the Giants should not even be in the playoffs. But guess what, we are and, don’t hesitate to agree with me now, we have not looked back. I am not discounting the 9ers. They have been consistent all throughout the season winning games. And, yes, the Giants have done the total opposite, winning games here and there and just barely, just barely making it to the playoffs. Even if I wasn’t a Giants fan, I would not bet against them. As far as I’m concerned, the Giants just dispatched the only team that seemed to have dominated the league. I’m not saying they are the same or even similar teams, but if the 9ers record should speak for itself, the Packers 15-1 should as well, agree? Now, and pay attention now, this is the best part. The Giants probably haven’t been a favorite in all of the betting lines, especially Vegas, since their last game against the Redskins, in which they lost. But again, let me just point something out. They have not lost to the heavily favored and “on paper” better (let’s use that word since 9ers fans seem to love using it) team since playing against their do-or-die games against the Jets, Cowboys, Falcons, and Packers (and I am not going to go into the gifts in the form of the officiating in that game).

I am all for a good game. And really may the best team win, but seriously dude. I would not bet against these Giants, as some have already pointed it out quite a few times, they should not even be in the playoffs.

I would say that your confidence is cute as well, but that word seemed to have been overused in here.

Go Big Blue!!!

99. justwinbaby29 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:15 PM

Patriots and Giants win. Giants beat the Patriots again in the Super Bowl. Ironic had the Patriots beaten the Giants in the regular season – the Giants don’t make the playoffs. So yes a regular season game can come back and haunt New England even though they were the #1 seed.

100. justwinbaby29 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:19 PM

Patriots* are really going for their THIRD championship. The first one should have a big time asterisk.

-Tuck game
    -Videotaped the Rams

101. trseann says: Jan 19, 2012 3:28 PM

What’s sad is that at the beginning of the week, both Giants and 9er fans were respectful to one another. Both having come off a high from upsetting the past two NFL champs.

And now the messages in this post have degraded to the pretty pathetic levels as we draw closer to the game.

Anyone who dismisses either the Giants or 9ers strikes me as seriously overcompensating and sounds like they are most likely just trying to convince themselves.

Here’s hoping for a muddy, drag out game with as little whining as possible after the game.

102. piemasteruk says: Jan 19, 2012 3:39 PM

“Alex Smith was easily the most underated QB in the NFL this year. He has been more clutch than Eli and Tebow in the 4th quarter, yet it seems nobody knows this fact. He wasn’t even in the conversation for the pro bowl because he didn’t have the Madden passing yards. ”

It could also be because he is in the same conference as Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning and Matthew Stafford.

103. Pat MyHog says: Jan 19, 2012 3:49 PM

justwinbaby29 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:19 PM

-Tuck game
    -Videotaped the Rams

————————————-

Wah Wah Wah…callll the Wahmbulence for this Raider fan…

Also the taping of the Rams practice was not true and the journalist who reported it (John Tomase) had to apologize on the front page of the Herald

104. morty999 says: Jan 19, 2012 4:00 PM

flockofravens says:
    Jan 19, 2012 2:38 PM
    _________________________________

Say what??? Seriously? Maybe the most delusional post on here. Even his own teammate, Ed Reed, said Flacco got “rattled (same thing as flustered)” last week and didn’t look like he had a grasp of the offense.

105. mrba4775 says: Jan 19, 2012 4:41 PM

i think u guys r right about the patriots, but u bozo are wrong about the 49′ers, even Vice-President Joe Biden knows that the giants are going 2 da super bowl. get ready for a deja vue super bowl-patrioits-giants @ the home peyton build with little brother playing 4 the lombardi trophy.

106. flockofravens says: Jan 19, 2012 5:16 PM

when a man’s mind is made up, the facts are irrelevant…
    it was no delusion that Flacco took 5 sacks. that IS quite a ‘rattling’…no doubt. Brady has thrown temper tantrums in the past in similar circumstances. Flacco got back up…and got the job done.
    the point, Morty, is that if Brady were to have a few close encounters with the ground, his game would suffer. Flacco does hit the ground…and maintains his composure…when a game gets physical, the mind game becomes even more important than stats, and weapons on the field. nerve, Morty, counts for a great deal on any field.

107. jsalis13 says: Jan 19, 2012 5:25 PM

Can we please get a better answer than “the Ravens defense is old” and “Flacco is an awful QB” for why the Ravens will lose. Because neither is true

108. szwhtsup123 says: Jan 19, 2012 5:39 PM

Whew you guys made me nervous when I saw the headline. I thought you might actually pick the Giants to win. Since you never do and they always win, I feel that much better about the game now. With Elite-I at the helm, there’s no stopping the Big Blue train. GO GIANTS!!

109. jimboslice208 says: Jan 19, 2012 6:10 PM

Giants fans saying the Niners play in an easier division? Both divisions combined records are 30-34. Niners are 3-1 vs the NFC east, Giants are 2-2 against the NFC west so thats a lame argument. Most of these arguments can be countered. An earlier poster mentioned the Niners split the season series against Arizona and NY beat Arizona. So I can say that NY lost to the Skins, twice, and the Niners beat them. Its easy to throw out biased stats but expect them to be countered.

As a Niner fan, I’m not gonna say the Niners are gonna win on Sunday. I’m not a psychic. But I do think it will be a great game between to tough teams. And I hope the Niners quest for #6 is one game closer. May the best team win

110. raiders757 says: Jan 19, 2012 7:39 PM

justwinbaby29 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:19 PM

-Tuck game
    -Videotaped the Rams

————————————

Do we really have to dredge this tired old beat up horse out of the barn again? I’m just as sick of the Patriots as the rest of the majority of NFL fans are, but I got over “The Snow Job” a long time ago. I think what’s lost in all of this, is that the Patriots still had to play the Steelturds to get to the Super Bowl that season.

Either way, GO RAVENS!!! …and go …well, i don’t care who wins the other game. I just hope it’s good.

111. bplatvoet says: Jan 19, 2012 10:41 PM

thesportgenius says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:35 PM

Buddy, I am not a Giants fan, but the Giants are acctually the favorite. Vegas automatically gives the home team 3 points. The Giants almost one the first time you guys met this season with half the team out. The are by far the better team. You guys got spotted 17 points last week and needed a miricle drive to win. Alex Smith will be lucky to through for more then 175 yards Sunday. I got the Giants by 10 or more.

As for the other matchup, this one is gonna be a coin flip. It all depends on which one of these Jeckle & hyde teams show up. If the Pats Defense shows up, it will be hard for the Ravens to win this one. But if they don’t, the Ravens will control the clock and keep Brady off the Field making a tight down to the wire AFC Championship game.

112. kingaldon99 says: Jan 20, 2012 10:57 AM

Die hard niner Fan here! While we all want call our team the next superbowl champion the fact of the matter is we can’t see into the future so we really have no idea. Plain and simple, reg season record means squat at this point in the season ( see 15-1 packers and 16-0 pats) both went home trophyless! I do believe However calling the giants the best team remaining is a bit of a joke! At what position are they better than San Fran as a whole outside of qb &wr?
    OL-no
    Rb-no
    Te-haha
    DL-no (giants pass rush yes, as a unit not a chance)
    Lb’s-again hahah not close
    Db-close but no cigar
    ST-don’t be silly
    All in all the niners are the better team! Does that mean they win Sunday? NOT AT ALL! good luck gmen and may the best team (on Jan 22) win

113. michael228 says: Jan 20, 2012 12:09 PM

raiders757 says:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:39 PM
    justwinbaby29 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:19 PM

-Tuck game
    -Videotaped the Rams

————————————————–
    Seriously?
    -Videotaped the Rams? Never happened. proved to have been an out right lie

114. kev86 says: Jan 20, 2012 12:19 PM

The more “experts” that pick the Niners, the better.

Careful what you wish for Frisco. The Giants are coming.

GO BLUE!

115. kate773 says: Jan 20, 2012 2:49 PM

flockofravens says:
    Jan 19, 2012 2:38 PM

***********************************

WHAT??? Clearly you’re basing your opinion on Brady on what you’ve read from comments of fans of other teams. Brady is notorious for remaining calm and for keeping his teammates calm when the going gets tough. Any of them will tell you that, and many have, publicly. He yells at his WR’s when they &*(^ up, yes, but that isn’t a “tantrum” because things are going bad. He’s trying to keep his teammates heads in the game and keep them from falling apart or beating themselves up. He does that ALL the time. And please show me evidence of him overturning Gatorade tubs? Where did you even GET that? And he gets in a sideline argument ONCE with Bill O’Brien and suddenly that’s typical behavior? Seriously, I get you’re a Ravens fan and you’re looking for reasons your team will win, but trying to pull this “Brady will become unhinged when things get tough” card is really not going to get you much in the way of credibility. He DOES NOT become unhinged.

116. RyanFeet says: Jan 20, 2012 3:44 PM

If you are a 49′ers fan you happy to be much more nervous about this weekend. The numbers don’t lie. The Giants outscored opponents 41-19, 121-50 in the past 4 games. These 2 guys just making stupid picks just to make it more interesting? ELI will carve up that defense.

117. flockofravens says: Jan 20, 2012 5:00 PM

actually, I based my comment on the games I watched this past regular season. true…I am a raven’s fan. that being said, I truly enjoy watching Pats’ games simply because when Brady does play well, it is beautiful to watch. I’m not a Pats’ -hater…and I’m not a Brady hater. I wrote what I wrote not to look ‘for reasons my team will win’…I don’t know that they will. I wrote what I wrote because that assessment is the complete picture. otherwise, what’s the point? to just post comments that boil down to ‘rah rah for my team and the others all stink?’…
    Brady so far has demonstrated a better developed ability to read defense than has Flacco…Brady DOES have his strong points. everyone who watches him, sees them. he also has his weaker points. so, Kate…kiss me or not…I stand by my comment.

118. bengaltini says: Jan 20, 2012 6:52 PM

Mike…”Thanks” for letting me know who won the games…I won’t have to watch now.

119. wetpaperbag3 says: Jan 20, 2012 7:23 PM

Now I’m going with a Giants/Ravens superbowl. Whatever PFT goes for, pick the opposite.

120. critter69 says: Jan 21, 2012 12:24 AM

Intersting comments about who has the experience for this weekend’s games.

In the past four years, teams that have made the playoffs one time are:
    Miami
    Tennessee
    Kansas City
    Houston
    Denver
    Carolina
    Dallas
    Philadelphia
    Chicago
    Seattle
    San Francisco
    Detroit

Teams that have been to the playoffs two of the last four years:
    San Diego
    Cincinnati
    New York Jets
    New York Giants
    Minnesota
    Arizona
    Philadelphia

Teams that have been to the playoffs three of the last four years:
    Pittsburgh
    Indianapolis (or is that only because of the Colts QB?)
    New England
    Atlanta
    New Orleans
    Green Bay

The ONLY team that has been tothe playoffs four out of the last four years:
    Baltimore

To me, it looks like the two best teams (vs. single QB) are in the AFC Championship game on a experience in playoffs basis. In the NFC Championship game, it is a team with one playoff experience in the past four years versus a team with two playoff experiences in the past four years.

Is playoff experience the end-all/be-all? Maybe, maybe not. Indy would most likely been in their fourth playoff in four years, except for the loss of one QB.

Where would the Ravens be without Flacco? Everyone says he’s not good, so you are saying they wouldn’t miss him at all.

What would the Patriots do if Brady is taken out? I guess Suggs wouldn’t have the Uggs to concentrate on, so I guess Suggs wouldn’t matter?

121. gs7101 says: Jan 21, 2012 9:54 AM

Is this supposed to be some kind of joke? I don’t believe for one second that either of these PFT columnists actually want the 49ers to beat the Giants. The 49ers owned the NFC East Division this season — only losing to the Dallas Cowboys in overtime; plus, that was the only home game they lost. Go Niners!

122. 1historian says: Jan 22, 2012 12:27 AM

Pats-Ravens

Close in the 1st half – 14-14. Halftime the Pats adjust on defense and offense and the no-huddle offense wears down the (aging) Ravens D, Pats win going away 37-21.

It’s been fashionable to poo-poo the Pats’ defense but if it hadn’t been for the 1st half interception and the 2nd half fumble last week would have been a shutout of a team that had scored 29 points on the (aging) Steeler defense. They are coming together at the right time.

Niners – Gints – Barnburner all the way, 49ers win 21-20.