Vikings announce hiring of defensive coordinator, defensive line coach

Oakland Raiders v Minnesota Viking Getty Images

As expected, the Vikings have hired Colts defensive backs coach Alan Williams to be the team’s new defensive coordinator.  The Vikings announced the move earlier this afternoon.

The Vikings also announced that former Rams defensive line coach Brendan Daly will return to the team in that capacity.  Daly was a member of the Minnesota staff from 2006 through 2008.

“Alan and Brendan have both proved themselves as quality coaches in our League,” coach Leslie Frazier said in a team-issued release.  “I had the chance to work directly with both men and can’t say enough about their character, work ethic and ability to connect with players and push them to be their best.”

The hiring of Williams comes after the Vikings pursued Raheem Morris and Mel Tucker, before removing the defensive coordinator title from Fred Pagac.

As to Pagac, the team has not announced whether he will remain with the team.  He reportedly was offered the role of linebackers coach, one of the titles held by former 49ers coach Mike Singletary.

Though Williams could indeed be the right man for the job, it seems that the Vikings went after a guy they knew they’d get, after swinging and missing on Morris and Tucker.  Though it’s unclear whether they could have done any better if they’d aimed higher, the Vikings couldn’t afford to have a string of rejections.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
53 Responses to “Vikings announce hiring of defensive coordinator, defensive line coach”
  1. firerogergoodell says: Jan 19, 2012 1:22 PM

Great! We hire the DBs coach from the ONE worse secondary than ours. Makes a lot of sense. Rick Spielman and Leslie Frazier are the worst GM / Coach combination in the NFL. At least until Ireland hires a coach in Miami.

2. amanistumor says: Jan 19, 2012 1:24 PM

Bad hire(s)… Leslie Frazier’s AAP will be short lived.

3. medtxpack says: Jan 19, 2012 1:24 PM

the new Lions…

4. contra74 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:24 PM

I hope he can do better than Pagac. Not passing judgement yet until we see the numbers the D puts up. He is owed at least that much. Go get em Williams.

5. chatham10 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:26 PM

The Vikings did what other teams have done and will continue to do. The search for the NFL coaches job now goes to the guy they know they can get, Tampa, Miami, Oakland and the list goes on. The Vikings needed to get people that would come in without knowing how long the head coach will last. The defensive line coach knew his days were numbered when they brought in Fisher and God only know what the Colts are doing or going to do.

6. cletusvandam says: Jan 19, 2012 1:28 PM

So Frazier is just giving his buddies jobs?

7. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jan 19, 2012 1:33 PM

Coaches mean nothing if you don’t have the players. Upgrade the secondary to NFL caliber through the draft and free agency and these guys will look like geniuses.

8. rugdog100 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:37 PM

To clarify another inaccuracy, Raheem Morris was interviewed, but not offered the job as DC.

9. purplepete24 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:39 PM

Besides being the secondary coach on one of the worst teams last year (but one of the best teams in the past 10 years he was employed by the Colts). Can one of the Great Football minds tell me why this is a bad hire. What have you seen in his coaching ability that is so bad? Thanks

10. gdeli says: Jan 19, 2012 1:41 PM

I think I may become a packer fan. This is too much nonsense here. The pack just need a better secondary compared to the multitude of problems the vikes have. BUT if the vikes scored 1 more td per game and won overtime games they would be 11-5 I figured so that is a sign of hope to stay a vikes fan. I can like both, who says I can’t?

11. greatminnesotasportsmind says: Jan 19, 2012 1:42 PM

Awesome, we go from Pagac who gives up 49 points to the Saints to a guy who gave up 63 with the Saints calling the dogs off on national tv. Awesome!

12. cjw1197 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:54 PM

I’ll take Alan Williams as DC anyday over Singletary. The linebackers took a step back this year under him. Hopefully Pagac can get them productive again.

I agree with @chatham10, Frazier couldn’t swing and miss again on a DC interview, he needed a sure thing and went after him.

13. glenne81 says: Jan 19, 2012 1:55 PM

OK! I know what to do! Lets hire the Coaches from the 2 teams drafting higher than us! Should work, right?

14. indianheadmeatpackingcompany says: Jan 19, 2012 1:57 PM

If this year is another Epic Fail, a total house cleaning is in order from the GM all the way to the ball boys.

15. getadealdonealready says: Jan 19, 2012 1:58 PM

I’m going to see if Frazier will add me as a Facebook friend, who knows if he is still around next year I could be the offensive coordinator!

16. theytukrjobs says: Jan 19, 2012 1:59 PM

I find it concerning that Frazier just fielded the worst team in Vikings history and is being allowed to hire all guys he used to work with into key positions. I think after one or two more years of mediocrity the owner is going to have to realize that a complete team overhaul is the only way to break the cycle.

17. contra74 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:06 PM

medtxpack says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:24 PM
    the new Lions…
    ——-
    Whats this? A Packer fan decided to speak up even after their teams embarassing debacle!? Sit down and shut up pack fan. Youre a joke at the moment!

18. teddysimonvikings says: Jan 19, 2012 2:10 PM

I think this guy will do good….a young minded guy that needs to make a name for himself. Leslie Frazier you have to remember had a pretty good Defense when he was the cord. and he knows what he is doing, this guy will be really good watch! Im going to call it…top 10 defense next year if we remain in the 4-3 which with this hire is more then likely to do, so our superstar DE will remain happy after a top year from a guy ever sacks wise and presence on the D! GOOD HIRE LESLIE I LIKE THE BOLDNESS!

19. firerogergoodell says: Jan 19, 2012 2:13 PM

How did we swing and miss on Raheem Morris? He was not offered the job. If they would have offered him the job, he would have taken it. He said so himself. The Redskins DBs coach offer was the only one he received, so he took it. The only swing and miss was Spagnuolo.

20. azvikefan says: Jan 19, 2012 2:15 PM

gdeli, you can’t root for both. Thats like being a yankee and red sox fan, except you probably wont get killed in MN or WIS.

21. brewdogg says: Jan 19, 2012 2:23 PM

This kind of makes sense from Frazier’s point of view. He knows he can’t afford another season like this. So he brings in people he has worked with before and he knows he can work with, who think and plan along the same lines that he does. It might not be what is best for the Vikings, but if Frazier whats to hang on to his job, he needs at least a .500 record to do it.

I think it’s interesting that it is a DB coach…. I think we may be looking at Claiborne as our #1 pick. The fact that the Saints and Packers got bounced in the same round really emphasizes that defense beats offense.

22. brewdogg says: Jan 19, 2012 2:25 PM

azvikefan says:
    Jan 19, 2012 2:15 PM
    ———————————

I think that a closer comparison would be being a fan of Barcelona and Real Madrid…..

23. coolgato13 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:25 PM

Rams 2-14.
    Colts 2-14.
    And you hire coaches from each team?
    I feel sorry for you Vikings fans….

24. Derty Ernie says: Jan 19, 2012 2:26 PM

With the defense the vikes showed these guys better be miracle workers. The linebackers got old very fast and the DB’s were beyond prime and or in jail.
    With three years of good drafting this team could be competitive again but its going to take some time.

25. teamnorsecore says: Jan 19, 2012 2:27 PM

gdeli says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:41 PM
    ……
    I say you can’t be a FAN of both teams. I also say you should be a Packer fan……you are a joke of a fan and we don’t want you as a fan of the Vikings. If you are willing to say what did above and want to be a fan of a rival team, just go be a fan of the Packers……we don’t need you……pack up and move to Sconi while you are at it too and make sure you work over there as well. Don’t drive across on I94 like the thousands of other cheeseheads that work over here. Have fun jumping on that bandwagon gdeli…….pi$$ poor football fan.

26. adantsa says: Jan 19, 2012 2:35 PM

_______________________________

Buh bye. The border is not far, just head east until you see the Cheese Curd signs.

27. vikings4life22 says: Jan 19, 2012 2:44 PM

gdeli says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:41 PM

**********************************
    gdeli,
    If you are a Vikings fan, we don’t want you anymore. How dare you utter “I may become a Packer fan”???? Go ahead and move across the border and leave town. You are no longer welcome in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

28. davikes says: Jan 19, 2012 2:49 PM

If the defense is healthy (and out of jail), and the offense gets better, the defense should be pretty decent next year. (pause for the laughter to stop). The offense couldn’t stay on the field with McNabb, and Ponder threw a lot of picks. Hopefully Ponder will be competent next year, which would help the D a lot. Also, if we improve the secondary, by getting healthy and drafting, that should improve. People forget that only one d backfield starter from the beginning of the year was playing at the end. Lastly, JA of course had a great season. But when you consider the Vikes were usually behind, and other teams would be trying to run rather than having to pass, his season looks really amazing.

29. contra74 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:10 PM

gdeli says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:41 PM
    ————
    No you cant but dont worry, youre officially a Packer fan now. Vikings fanbase definitely does not need you so go ahead and jump on that bandwagon fanbase known as the Packers. Unfortunately you wont have many to talk with as all the bandwagoners jumped ship, and this site, after last weekends game so its been a bit quiet which is a great thing!

30. purpleguy says: Jan 19, 2012 3:26 PM

My team may stink, and these hirings may not be sexy, but they should be just fine. As to striking out, the Vikes made the decision not to hire Morris and they knew Tucker wasn’t leaving the Jags, so this was hardly a rejection fest as alluded to by Mike.

31. dragonfly99 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:31 PM

What the heck is going on there in Minnesota???

32. durno99 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:32 PM

In the name of Singltary…….I want winners!!!! Whoooooops!!!!!!Frazier is in WAY over his head!!

33. dtrb10 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:35 PM

Some Blue Chippers there! LOL this is just pathetic!!! Fire this whole staff and management team. I swear they are trying to suck so they can get the fans not interested and then move.

34. squared80 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:37 PM

Swing and miss? The Vikings decided NOT to even offer Morris a contract offer. How is that a miss?

35. theallegedone says: Jan 19, 2012 3:48 PM

So funny how people come on here as Vikings “fans”, and constantly bash personnel decisions. Do any of you actually know anything about football, or do you just go by what you hear? Yes, Indy has been known to have a pretty bad secondary in the past, but their secondary was not too bad this year. So why all the bad talk of the new hire? The Vikings D was 25th against the pass this year. Indy’s was 14th. The Vikings gave up the most passing td’s in the NFL with 34. The Colts gave up 25, which was tied for 17th. The Vikings D gave up 13 plays of 40+ yards. Indy gave up 6. The Vikings had the #25 overall defense in the NFL this year. Indy was #14.

Last year everybody was quick to run Chilly out, which is good, but don’t start on Frazier. Look at all the teams left in the playoffs. Hell, look at all the teams that made the playoffs. EVERY ONE OF THEM HAD VETERAN TEAMS INTACT FROM THE PREVIOUS YEAR.

With the lockout, the Vikings had Frazier in his 1st full year, 2 new coordinators, new playbook, new language, new qb, new BACKUP/ROOKIE qb and lost our “best receiver”. This season was doomed from the minute the lockout started. There was zero chemistry. And i’m not sticking up for the defense, but Griffin, Winfield and Cook missed SIGNIFICANT TIME. Lets wait and see what happens in the draft and see what we can do with a full offseason of ota’s and training camp, and then see what happens next year. If this is your team, SUPPORT THEM! Then make your judgement after next year.

36. xli2006 says: Jan 19, 2012 3:48 PM

As a Colts Fan, that wasn’t the best move on Minnesota’s part. Unless Williams’ Secondary group was more a product of Coyer’s soft scheme, this was maybe the worst production the Colts have had from that group in over a decade.

The one coach I happened to like from the Colts Defense was Mike Murphy. His LB group played quite well this year.

37. jimnsota says: Jan 19, 2012 3:54 PM

You cannot take diarrhea and make it a turd. Coaching makes a huge difference without a doubt. The vikings talent pool in the secondary is beyond poor. Until they can upgrade the cb and safties that havent stayed out of trouble or progressed into starting quality players it wont matter who coaches.

38. vikingdoode says: Jan 19, 2012 3:56 PM

Tampa 2 Blows

Dungy’s coaches are failing……

39. Robert Chandler says: Jan 19, 2012 4:10 PM

Frazier is weak. He surrounds himself with “comfortable” (read: agreeable) easy-going types, much like himself. What this sad organization really needs is a fire and brimstone, ass-kicking motivator who knows strategy. This laid-back, aww shucks crap Frazier emanates is not going to help this team bounce back. You notice no high-profile coaches in college or pros ever talk about the Vikings as a destination that would excite or intrigue them?

Bottom line on all the unexciting news the past two years: 3-13; 3-13; fire the HC and clean house too late; total rebuild; new 4-5 year plan begins…. smells like a very rough decade ahead.

40. mattbydlon says: Jan 19, 2012 4:11 PM

They didn’t “miss” out on Morris, they didn’t offer him a job.

41. ruvelligwebuike says: Jan 19, 2012 4:12 PM

@contra-

The Green Bay Packers season ticket waiting list is 82,000 deep. Bandwagon? God, not only are you people pathetic enough that you would open your mouths to talk at all being your team won 3 whole games, you can’t even talk smack that’s even remotely correct. It’s gotta be hard for you to make it through the average day with that level of intelligence.

42. tropicpurple says: Jan 19, 2012 4:16 PM

Maybe, just maybe (hopefully) this is just a ploy to hire two coaches, one from each of the two teams who draft ahead of us so we can get insight as to their draft strategy :-)

43. gergie1957 says: Jan 19, 2012 4:21 PM

“gdeli says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:41 PM
    I think I may become a packer fan. I can like both, who says I can’t?”

Get help, Get help real soon. It is impossible to be both. Google it.

44. matthewcarlson1 says: Jan 19, 2012 4:26 PM

brewdogg says:
    Jan 19, 2012 2:25 PM
    azvikefan says:
    Jan 19, 2012 2:15 PM
    ———————————

——————————————————–
    What?… shut up

45. tqaztec says: Jan 19, 2012 4:39 PM

Don’t feel bad for us Viking fans. We are not surprised at anything a Minnesota sports team does anymore.

That how we roll.

46. ajschn06 says: Jan 19, 2012 4:40 PM

Dungy has been raving about this guy for years…..”rising star and future head coach…” As a Vikes fan, I won’t hate on this hire until I give it a chance….

47. vikesfansteve says: Jan 19, 2012 4:43 PM

I don’t agree much with my fellow Vikings fans, for instance I hate Longwell & Despise Kluwe.

That being said I couldn’t disagree more with the people saying Alan Williams is a bad hire.
    The play of the Colts secondary, under Williams’ tutelage, is a contributing factor to nine consecutive playoff appearances for Indianapolis, a streak that ties the longest in NFL history.
    In 2008, the club set an NFL mark by allowing only six touchdown passes, the lowest 16-game total in league history.
    In 2007, Indianapolis ranked 3rd in the NFL in total defense, marking the club’s highest defensive ranking since 1971.
    The Colts had 22 interceptions to rank T2nd in the league.
    In 2006 in a Super Bowl winning season, The secondary produced eleven of the club’s 15 regular-season interceptions, then had five in the playoffs.
    Also a TD return in the SuperBowl.
    The Colts secondary was very good.

The Vikings got themselves a really good coach & someone who can fix this teams most glaring weakness, the swiss cheese secondary.

A couple key free agents & the Vikings can turn this thing around quick.

Williams is a good choice & a great coach.

48. contra74 says: Jan 19, 2012 4:45 PM

ruvelligwebuike says:
    Jan 19, 2012 4:12 PM
    @contra-

——–
    Oh wow, look who showed up. Where were you the days following that big turd which was laid in Lambeau last weekend? Yes, bandwagon! As a matter of fact, now that you dont have a team in the post-season it appears all we will hear packer fans talk about are (1) past lombardis, (2) 2013 SB champs, (3) 82k waiting list, and (4) how they are not stupid for buying fake stock. Guys, get over yourselves. All this ranting and parading all season long about how the Packers will repeat as SB champs got you where exactly??? shhhhh princess, shhhhhh….

49. hellfishberg says: Jan 19, 2012 5:53 PM

TRIVIA TIME:
    2 Answers to this question:

Who played football and graduated from college and William and Mary? Then was hired to be a DB coach under Tony Dungy? Stayed with that particular team after Tony dungy moved on until being hired by the Vikings to be their Defensive Coordinator?

The first left in 2007 to be a head coach
    The second just got hired by the Vikings

IALTO

50. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jan 19, 2012 6:24 PM

Robert Chandler says:
    Jan 19, 2012 4:10 PM

_____

Oh, you mean someone like Mike Singletary? Yeah, he did a great job with San Franciso last year. They only had seven more wins after he left. And he did a great job with the linebackers this year.

Also, I’m pretty sure they were 6-10 one of those years.

51. tombradysponytail says: Jan 19, 2012 6:31 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:
    Jan 19, 2012 1:33 PM

________

I think it might take a little more than that for these guys to “look like geniuses.” I’m just sayin’…

52. popolover says: Jan 19, 2012 8:38 PM

I don’t think it is fair to judge ANY of the Colts coaches based on last year. They had to coach the boys they got. You can not make chicken out of chicken feathers. Have any of you people followed the whole Polian reign of terror????? HELLO????

53. brewdogg says: Jan 19, 2012 10:50 PM

popolover says:
    Jan 19, 2012 8:38 PM
    ————————————

But wasn’t Polian supposed to be some draft genius? This is the guy who drafted Manning, Edge, Wayne, Clark, Freeney, Mathis, Sanders, and a succession of LBers including PBers Marcus Washington and Cato June. You know, the core of a SB winner….

Sounds like another currently revered GM on a team whose fans are sure to be reading this post, even though they claim that the Vikings are beneath their notice.