Philbin says Dolphins will be up-tempo, attacking team in all phases

Getty Images

New Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin met the media in Miami today and said his coaching philosophy is that the Dolphins are going to employ an up-tempo, attacking style on offense, defense and special teams.

But while Philbin said he’ll draw on his experiences as the Packers’ offensive coordinator, he also downplayed the extent to which he can simply give the Dolphins the same system that the Packers had.

“You can not just take the Green Bay playbook and slap it down in South Florida,” Philbin said.

In comments that seemed to bolster the idea that the Dolphins aren’t counting on signing soon-to-be free agent quarterback Matt Flynn from the Packers, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said he doesn’t think his team is about to turn into Green Bay-South.

“We don’t have any Packers on our roster,” Ross said. “We’re not allowed to talk about that.”

Addressing the personnel in Miami, Philbin suggested that the most important thing is that he wants players with a good work ethic and passion for the game.

“I’ve always had great relationships with players who wanted to be great players,” Philbin said.

Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland said Philbin will have complete authority to put together his own coaching staff. And Ireland said he thinks that staff will have a roster that can win right away.

“He’s inheriting a good football team — that’s not reflected in wins and losses, but there are pieces for him to build with,” Ireland said.

Philbin’s job will be making the Dolphins a good football team in a way that is reflected in wins and losses.

57 responses to “Philbin says Dolphins will be up-tempo, attacking team in all phases

1. It looks like Miami made the right choice. If they don’t go after Flynn that shoud be a red flag to other teams.

2. Not a Dolphins fan, (49ers fan) but i am rooting for them, its been a long time since the Dolphins have been a consistent winner. I like the signing of Philbin, he set up great game plans for the Packers and the players in GB loved him.

3. I’m not sure if Philbin will be extremely successful in Miami. His Packers Offense was stacked at every position, and his play calling, while quite good, wasn’t the most creative.

Then again, who knows. I wish him well.

4. He says were not going w/ Packers playbook, but I bet he’ll take a lot of there staff. I’m already looking forward to next season. Go Fins!!!

5. whether flynn is signed or not i think the dolphins are close to wc calliber. jets will have to fend off the bills just to finish in third place next year. if rex doesnt make the playoffs again next year, and im thinking he wont, he’ll probably get fired.

6. @ yettyskills

I’m guessing it’ll be Tom Clement (the GB quarterback coach) unless he gets promoted in GB.

I also have to believe that Matt Flynn will sign with that team. He has every reason to.

7. not sure how much more creative you can be when you are’nt callin the plays which he did not the head coach did,plus they employed just about more 4 and 5 wides as anyone in the league so thats not an accurate statement to say their not creative not sure how many packer games you watched maybe you should watch more than the sopranos dog.lol

8. From losing a son to becoming a NFL Head Coach, a job many seek, Philbin has shown some character. It would have been easier to just avoid the spotlight that a job like this brings, and pressure to himself as well as his family. Here’s hoping that he succeeds.

There is some talent on the Dolphin’s roster to work with. Long, Marshall (If he can keep his head on straight), and Bush to name a few. If Bush shows some of the flash he did towards the end… then they could be a decent team sooner rather than later. Of course, facing the Patriots twice a year will not be an easy task as long as Brady and BB are there.

Maybe they can pick up some easy wins to build momentum if the Jets implode before or during the season. (Seeing how the finger pointing is already starting, instead of people manning up to say: “Hey, I/We all stunk.”)

9. Doesn’t nearly every new coach say that?

Then after two games they slip into the cover2 and ball control game management offense.

10. I’m not a dolphin fan but I hope he takes as many assistants from Green Bay that can get on a plane and fly down there. I hate the Packers.

11. He instantly adds something to the Miami Dolphins front office that they’re starving for….and that’s INTEGRITY
    Go Dolphins!

12. I’m just waiting for the first coach to take over a team and announce that he’ll be pushing for passive play and a slow tempo in all three phases.

13. First off, great hire for the “fins”. We will miss Philbin in GB but, we are proud of him and RM! Secondly, the “Fins” are lying through their teeth! They definitely want Matt Flynn! @CarmeloAnthonySoprano–(fyi) Philbin didn’t call the plays. McCarthy did.

14. They could be a pretty exciting team next season, but they still need a QB (Flynn) and if they can get another WR to play along Marshall or an impact TE, their O could be surprisingly good. Matt Moore is no one to forget about either.

15. I get that Philbin will more than likely pursue Flynn and the media is already hyping up Flynn to Miami. But why isnt there any chatter of Jermichael Finley to Miami? Im pretty sure Fasano’s seat is a little warm

16. Sounds like a great plan Joe, but here’s a couple of spoilers:

1. You have no quarterback.
    2. You have morons making personell decisions.
    3. You inherited the Miami Dolphins.

Other than that, sounds great.

17. i cant say im surprised as it wasnt even a week ago that we were talking about how smart thw fins would be by going after philbin b/c mia has a bunch of weapons already and w/ the right staff could be next years 49ers. I am not and never will be a dolphin fan cuz im already a die hard packer fan but i will speak for the majority when i say they got an immediate winner w/ his signing. He may not be flashy with his guys but he will know fairly quickly which players would play in traffic if that is what he coaches. Good for the whole philbin family and miami. I predict within 3 years or less that miami will be a team to fear again.

18. Not sure I’ve heard too many coaches say “We’ll be a slow, lumbering team in all phases” 🙂

Seriously, though, I wish him well. Seems like a good coach that deserves his shot, especially after the rough month he’s had personally.

-QG

19. .

What kind of idiot takes a job in a division with a three time super champion ……plus the Patriots and Bills.

20. Better choice than Fisher/Schottenheimer. Rams should have gotten someone who knew offense instead of someone who knows “toughness” (dirtiness) and an OC who has proven himself unable to develop QBs. It will be fun to watch which team does better over the next five years. I’m guessing Dolphins, easy.

21. mwm367 says: Jan 21, 2012 5:19 PM
    ——————————————–
    mwm367, the Packers (and their fans) hate you too! As for the rest of your statement, robbing GB’s staff won’t be easy! Every coach in the NFL knows GB is a great place to play and coach, and not many want to work for the fiasco that is Ross and Ireland. (see Jeff Fischer) Philbin needed a change after the death of his son, and this is a great opportunity to showcase his talent despite Miami’s well documented mismanagement. Good luck Joe Philbin!

22. Up tempo, attacking? With what. They better get a few players starting with trading up to get RG3 and build around him.

23. ##”hahahahahaaa Flynn is just a system qb!! OVERRATED!!!

Flynn = Kolb 2.0″##

Uh… and what system is Philbin bringing to Miami?

24. Is it just me or did Ireland already start the process of throwing this nice guy under the bus if they are not successful? Saying he has pieces to win, really? What pieces?

25. And that style is different from teams that don’t attack? I guess they kinda lay in wait and sneak into the end zone while the other team isn’t looking versus the “attacking style” which I guess “attacks”?

26. Do people really buy coachspeak ever, let alone those first couple of pressers on the job? When was the last time you heard a coach stand up there and say he’d go with a read-and-react defense or passive, vanilla offense?

It’s all just coachspeak until it’s really clicking on a consistent basis.

27. cantonbound13 says:
    Jan 21, 2012 7:38 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yep. Looks like Ireland is trying to establish that he has done a good job. If Philbin can’t win, it is not Ireland’s fault. While I don’t think Ireland deserves some of the ire he receives, it is stuff like this that I can’t stand about him. He seems like a shady, unethical “save-ass”. I can’t tell if that is due to naivete, lack of maturity or narcissism. I wish he would just shut up, get some more good players, fully support the coach and let him do his job.

28. I like the signing. Since 2007 when he became OC, the Packers were top 10 in yards and points every year. Always liked him. Massachusetts native.

– Pats fan

29. hansenbrothers says:
    Jan 21, 2012 5:23 PM
    Pack Nation will miss him.

If the Dolphins GM has any sense at all, he’ll go get Flynn

Therein lies the problem..he doesn’t

30. Anyone leaving comments questioning Ireland’s assertion that the Dolphins have solid “pieces to win” right now did not watch many Dolphins games in 2011. They looked like a team on the brink of being contenders, with only shoddy play-calling and QB skills standing in the way of winning a few more games than they did.

I’m cautiously optimistic about 2012; Philbin needs to bring in a seriously gifted playcaller as his OC to succeed, though. I like Bowles as the DC, personally, but I’m less concerned there — we have very talented personnel on that side of the ball.

31. Max, you Fish fans kill me, do you remember at 0-7 you guys were dying for 0-16 to get Luck and you were well on your way. Then you got some wins against teams that were depleted by injuries (Buff 2x, Skins, KC) and now you think you are a playoff caliber team…please, fins haven’t done a thing for a long long time…heres to hoping that continues!

32. Philbin has already inherited the 2nd best QB in the AFCE in Moore. Any upgrades beyond him are gravy when competing in the division. Couple that with Tony Sparano now incredibly calling the offensive plays for the Jets. Look for runs on 3rd and 12 and fist pumping field goals.

Philbin knows exactly what he’s doing: the next season or three a probable Wild Card entry into the Playoffs where under-performing Jets teams proved that anything is possible and after that, onward to divisional supremacy.

Philbin articulating his values, priorities and goals today vs. the typical Sparano presser was the refreshing equivalent of sitting wide-eyed listening to Stephen Hawking after growing too accustomed to Mike ‘The Situation’ Sorrentino

33. win1soon says: Jan 21, 2012 10:37 PM

————————————————————-

You realize how desperate Miami fans are for a QB dont you ? Theres been around 20 different starters the past 12 years. Once we knew the season was over, and Sparano would finally be fired…. Getting Luck was light at the end of the tunnel.

But they did finally turn it around, proving that they were affected by the lockout, like expected. It took an injury to Henne, among many other things, as well. They actually d e s t r o y e d the Billsx2,Wash, KC AND OAK. Ended the Jets Season, barely lost in Dallas, Giants Stadium, and Foxboro. So they’re better than you might think, but not a playoff team yet. However, the Texans,Bengals, & Broncos got in this year so it’s not like theres no room for any newcomers. I promise there will be. And it wont be the jets or chargers either. My front runners are KC,MIA,OAK.

34. I love the Flynn haters! Hate all you want but I’m sure most of you are the ones always bitching that there’s no passing game. Moore isn’t that good! Get over it. Just bc Flynn is a backup, doesn’t mean he’s cassell or kolb. Kolb didn’t show flashes of greatness in Philly. Zona was just dumb enough to give him all that money. Cassell wasn’t that bad. Brought them to playoffs last yr.

35. I’m must be having a memory lapse..Who was the last highly touted backup in the nfl that went on to experience greatness after getting a big free agent contract from another team..Doug Williams? Jim Plunkett? Steve Young? Help me out guys so I can jump on the Flynn bandwagon.

36. At least if the Dolphins get Flynn, Philbin will know what he’s inheriting. He’s been around him more than any other coach in the league (minus the Packers, obviously). If the Dolphins don’t pursue Flynn, that should probably be a pretty big warning for the other teams in need of quarterback.

37. srfsail says:
    Jan 22, 2012 9:41 AM
    ———————-
    It isn’t a matter of greatness; being pretty good is enough. Just sticking with Packers back-ups you would get Hasselback and Brunell. Then you could add in Schaub, Delhomme, Warner, Brad Johnson, etc.

38. FinFan68 says:Jan 22, 2012 10:21 AM

srfsail says:
    Jan 22, 2012 9:41 AM
    ———————-

——————————-

But it is about being a franchise QB if he gets a pay day like one. With the salary cap it’s incredibly damaging for a team to invest a ton in a QB and not have him perform up to the price tag. Most, if not all, of the QBs you list weren’t under big contracts when they got their chance to start, so there wasn’t the risk factor.

And is pretty good really enough to win the Super Bowl in today’s NFL, since that is the goal? (I guess we’ll see if Flacco or Smith wins this year) But as well as they played in their careers, Hasselbeck, Brunell, Schaub & Delhomme have never won the Super Bowl, much less consistantly challenge to get there. Warner was a fluke and Johnson was in his seventh year as a starter when he won the Super Bowl.

Flynn’s success in his two starts may have had as much to do with circumstances as it did with his talent. I’m not sure he can elevate a team to the upper echelon.