Candlestick Park security plan includes cops posing as Giants fans

image Getty Images

If it were a TV show, maybe it would be called SFPD Blue.

That plan to beef up security for Sunday’s NFC title game at Candlestick Park, which for a change has less to do with preventing folks with bombs or guns or other assorted weapons into the building, includes a fascinating wrinkle.

In order to ensure that fans who choose to root for the Giants aren’t abused by 49ers fans who reportedly abused Saints fans last Saturday, undercover police officers will be posing as Giants fans.

The enhanced protection of fans who’ll be exercising their First Amendment rights to cheer for the home team to lose extends beyond the walls of the stadium.  “We’ll be looking early on to identify people trying to do those things in the parking areas and take action to remove them,” NFL security chief Jeff Miller told the New York Daily News.  “We’re not going to be warning people inside the stadium. They will be removed.”

It’ll be interesting to learn how far the authorities go with the whole Giants fan facade.  Will they only wear jerseys and hats?  Will there be face painting?  Will there be salsa dancing or raucous behavior in order to entrap potentially abusive 49ers fans?

Either way, folks pulling for the Niners are on notice.  And here’s hoping that when Sam Francisco in San Francisco dials in for PFT Live this week, he won’t be using one of his two phone calls from jail.

Permalink 92 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
92 Responses to “Candlestick Park security plan includes cops posing as Giants fans”
  1. joetoronto says: Jan 22, 2012 7:34 AM

As if things aren’t already strange enough in SF.

2. edmazeing1 says: Jan 22, 2012 7:36 AM

With 3Ds TV & 80” flat screen almost to the point, where there is no need to be at the game!!!

3. halbriston says: Jan 22, 2012 7:40 AM

I’ve been calling for this type of thing for years, especially living near Philly. You have a pathological need to act like a douche? Then you get tossed (or worse).

Good plan, San Fran.

4. billsfan27 says: Jan 22, 2012 7:42 AM

Good idea.

5. nogoodell says: Jan 22, 2012 7:43 AM

They expecting Philly to show?

6. tennesseeoilers says: Jan 22, 2012 7:43 AM

Why not go all the way with it, and fly in New York’s Finest to handle security?

7. skoobyfl says: Jan 22, 2012 7:47 AM

Naked body art with Eli’s brother’s head painted on his tush opening his mouth wide. That always does the trick to throw off the masses.

8. finsfrenzy says: Jan 22, 2012 7:54 AM

This is an awesome idea!!! I’ve been to quite a few away games watching the Dolphins; I went to a MNF game a while back Jets-Dolphins in NY and it was one of the few times in my life I was scared I might get jumped. I ended up taking off my dolphins stuff. It was horrible; I went to Lambeau last year for the Packers-Dolphins game and it was the complete opposite; awesome good natured fans.

9. arkadyrenko says: Jan 22, 2012 7:54 AM

Good to see them doing something innovative about the problem.

10. tbabes says: Jan 22, 2012 8:01 AM

A great idea, and something every team in the league should implement.

11. xtb3 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:01 AM

Joe Biden is posing as a Giants fan!

12. bucfandango says: Jan 22, 2012 8:01 AM

Sell weed at the Candlestick, everyone will chill, and no more fights. Alcohol, not so much.

13. 3ghostninja says: Jan 22, 2012 8:02 AM

Good thing it’s a 3pm Pacific time start. Otherwise they’d be in trouble because of the lights.

14. tuckergrass says: Jan 22, 2012 8:04 AM

Sounds more like a bluff than anything…

15. notrelated says: Jan 22, 2012 8:05 AM

Why do people keep bringing Philly up? People are getting shot and put into comas in California sporting events. Eagles fans threw snowballs at a drunk, problem causing santa imposter 500 years ago. OH NOZ.

16. stanklepoot says: Jan 22, 2012 8:05 AM

nogoodell says: Jan 22, 2012 7:43 AM

They expecting Philly to show?
    ____________________________
    Laugh it up, but we’re not the ones shooting, stabbing, and beating people into comas at the stadium. There are far worse places to be a visiting fan.

17. cw3214 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:06 AM

Now the small criminal portion of the Giants fanbase will just dress as 49ers fans…or security guards.

18. bucfandango says: Jan 22, 2012 8:08 AM

Passing doobies has been successful at concerts for years. It promotes camaraderie and concession sales would skyrocket.

Also………… dang it, I forgot what I was going to say.

19. FinFan68 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:16 AM

Nothing shuts up the “toughs” quite like watching their buddy get tazered and dragged out of the stadium.

This may turn out to be a good idea, however, there is a potential downside. Sporting events can quickly turn into makeshift mobs and mob behavior is at best very unpredictable. What happens when the crowd sees a “giants fan” that appears to be “attacking” a 49ers fan? It could get quite ugly. Hopefully they would be smart enough to call for uniformed security.

20. wryly1 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:19 AM

The word fan derives from fanatic. Fanaticism is one of the main reasons we are a nation and society of laws. One person’s rights end where the next person’s begin.

21. bdb808757 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:19 AM

Genius! It would be even better if the local news advised the city of this information.

22. bunjy96 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:21 AM

Hope it spreads throughout the league.

Get rid of the punks in all of the stadiums. Not only remove them from the stadium for that game, but permanently.

23. p8rtfan says: Jan 22, 2012 8:21 AM

Love the idea, but hope security can recognize the difference between abuse and good natured ribbing. In fact, if the fans could make that distinction, this might not be necessary.

24. tarken10 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:24 AM

Yes, this is a good idea, but now the plan has been outed. Perhaps just the knowledge that some Giants fans might be cops in disguise is enough to deter the morons from commiting attempted murder.

25. roadtrip3500 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:30 AM

The only way this will work effectively is if these police officers have seats/tickets. If you see the same Giants fan walking around the concourse the whole game and never in a seat actually watching it, there’s a good chance he could be undercover SFPD.

Of course, the drawback to that would be reducing seats to paying customers. But clearly the 49ers management is on board with this (from other articles, they actually supplied the Giants gear to the SFPD), so they were clearly embarrassed by their fanbase last weekend.

26. reed20fence says: Jan 22, 2012 8:31 AM

You can’t stress enough the impact that sensible home fans have of protecting visiting fans from their own douche bags that get drunk and can’t handle themselves.

I’ve always fealt that it’s the duty of home fans to make visitors feel comfertable. That doesn’t mean you don’t have good natured, healthy quibbling back and forth.

My own observation is that this is a serious problem in the Northeast, and virtually non-existant in the South, where there’s a greater sense of hospitality and sportsmanship.

27. Shockblast Media says: Jan 22, 2012 8:32 AM

I went to San Francisco in 2008 for the Patriots/49ers fan and in all my years of going to games at opposing team’s stadiums, 49er fans were the absolute worst I have ever dealt with, which has always stuck me as really weird because there is absolutely ZERO history between our two teams. I was wearing a Red Sox hat and Celtics shirt and I swear I got challenged to at least 10 fights just walking into the stadium. There were four of us that flew in together and we weren’t even the obnoxious type… we were just… there. I’ve been to tons of games at Gillette and never witnessed anything like the way I was treated in San Francisco, even Pats/Jets post Spygate. And again, I’ve Boston teams play in at least 10 other stadiums as visitors and never anything like San Francisco. Point of my post is that I am not even remotely surprised to see something this there.

28. rmm9090 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:34 AM

“If it were a TV show, maybe it would be called SFPD Blue”

WRONG!

It should be called: “JACKASS – SF Edition”

29. slizzyslizz says: Jan 22, 2012 8:35 AM

Good luck with that…I worked “crowd control” at Veterans Stadium during the NFC championship vs. Tampa Bay. My job was to monitor the crowd for folks getting out of hand and if I saw something, I was instructed to radio it in and Philadelphia Police / security would be dispatched to the location to remove said fan(s). Let’s just say that undercover officers wearing the teams opposing team’s jersey did not stop fans unruly behavior one bit.

I was stationed in the 700 level and hours before the game I notice a “fan” in an authentic Ronde Barber road jersey. I approach the individual and ask him if he was worried at all considering the section we are in…he laughed, showed me his badge, and went on his way.

Tampa fans were far and few at the stadium and caught crap the entire game, (similar to the experience the Saints fan had in San Francisco) and after Ronde Barber had the pick six the cop in the aforementioned paragraph had what I believed to be a soda thrown at him. I quickly radioed it in and he flashed his badge, approached the drunken fan and the fan than threw cheesy nachos all over his white jersey! Within seconds a tactical team arrived to remove the fan and I believe he paid what is the equivalent of a “runners fee” (a little extra love from PPD) upon exit.

30. waltdawg says: Jan 22, 2012 8:39 AM

Maybe they should have them pose as Jacksonville Jaguar fans….Especially after Aladen bought the team….Then, if anyone beats them up–they won’t really lose one of their 4 fans…It will be a cop….GENIUS

31. qcsfinest704 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:42 AM

This is just stupid. All it means is a cop is gonna take an ass whippin in the stands.

Lets think a little bit here. Your at a FOOTBALL game! Not a broadway show. Ofcourse people are gonna act crazy at the stadium. Football games are not family night at Chili’s like the NFL wants you to believe. If you dont think you can handle a problem then stay at home.

The way to fix this is DONT BE A GIANTS FAN THIS WEEK.

GO 49ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. proBirdie says: Jan 22, 2012 8:45 AM

I thought this only happened in Philly?

33. gimmeabruschi says: Jan 22, 2012 8:46 AM

If they really want to entice those who have a propensity to be violent into action, they should pose as Jets’ fans.

34. abninf says: Jan 22, 2012 8:49 AM

The policeman from the Village People will be out there.

35. sgtr0c says: Jan 22, 2012 8:50 AM

Smack’s entrapment.

36. danimal1027 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:51 AM

I hope these cops are out to stop physical threats or acts as opposed to throwing out any SF fan who boos a giants fan.

37. joetorious says: Jan 22, 2012 8:52 AM

This is ingenious. Even if nary a cop dresses as a Giants fan, if this concept is well publicized, most will be deterred from assaulting anyone in Giants gear based on possible law enforcement tie-in alone.

38. blizzard01 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:53 AM

SFPD has that many fat slobs on the payroll?

39. danimal1027 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:56 AM

@finsfrenzy

Jets fans r the reason there are time restrictions on tailgating.

40. httr73 says: Jan 22, 2012 9:01 AM

Great idea. This should become standard practice at ALL NFL games.

41. lemmam says: Jan 22, 2012 9:01 AM

a guy gets beat up at the dodgers game last year, oakland raider fans are out of control and now we read the 49er fans act like bufoons. you stay classy california sports fans. get a life

42. n0hopeleft says: Jan 22, 2012 9:03 AM

Banned 4 life gangsta.

43. gs7101 says: Jan 22, 2012 9:07 AM

There are silly fans in every NFL city; it’s not entrapment when people are warned that inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated inside the stadium.

Fans should not be intimated for rooting for their favorite team!! Reminds me of when Coach Sam Wyche grabbed a stadium microphone and told Bengal fans, “You don’t live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!!”

44. tatum064 says: Jan 22, 2012 9:08 AM

lets see if a cop gets beat into a coma by “Giants” fan.

which I doubt.

At the Dodger-Giant game, maybe?

45. ricardocabeza says: Jan 22, 2012 9:10 AM

After what happened to the SF baseball fan in LA all professional sports should be making this a priority. The idea of anybody being beat into a coma in front of his kid because he had the wrong “colors” on in insane. Whatever they got to do is good by me.

46. jnbnet says: Jan 22, 2012 9:10 AM

finsfrenzy says:
    Jan 22, 2012 7:54 AM
    This is an awesome idea!!! I’ve been to quite a few away games watching the Dolphins; I ended up taking off my dolphins stuff.
    ==============================
    well at least it got you to take off your dolphin stuff

47. n0hopeleft says: Jan 22, 2012 9:14 AM

I heard the increasing complaints of gay sexual activity was the reason for increased security.

48. bigbluefan1 says: Jan 22, 2012 9:16 AM

Philly West
    So what a little bit of luck this season and the low lifes come out of the woodwork?

Just remember Frisco fans Giant fans are not packer fans Giant fans coming for the real big city not some silly place on a bay

49. n0hopeleft says: Jan 22, 2012 9:18 AM

San Francisco = Ricky Martin’s favorite city.

50. jr4real says: Jan 22, 2012 9:27 AM

Ill take a giants fan against 10 sf fans anyday!

51. n0hopeleft says: Jan 22, 2012 9:37 AM

qcsfinest704 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:42 AM

The way to fix this is DONT BE A GIANTS FAN THIS WEEK.

___________________________________

Family night at Chili’s? Dad must’ve been a little light in the pants in your family, huh?
    I’m shocked.

I would love to sit next you at a football game.
    I prey on little ankle biters like you.

52. boswivel says: Jan 22, 2012 9:38 AM

They must have gotten this idea from this dude at work. He’s been posing as a Giants fan for a month now.

53. lumpinyourthroat says: Jan 22, 2012 9:39 AM

Candlestick is a total dump. The only this seedier the that team’s dig’s is there fans. You may not here of there behavior as much because they are the lowest of the low. When the team is losing the fans go into such a turtle shell that its hard to tell that they are even a fan of the team. Oh but when things are good they are willing to smash a bottle over you’r head to show there loyalty to there tampon colored hero’s. Now there gunna build a new stadium to house all those turds? Somebody flush the toilet!

54. bunjy96 says: Jan 22, 2012 9:45 AM

Thought I read someplace that Philly has a judge and a jail at their stadium.

Is that correct?

55. lbijake says: Jan 22, 2012 10:04 AM

I imagine they will use obnoxious, overweight cops to make the look authentic.

56. TheWizard says: Jan 22, 2012 10:06 AM

The offenders aren’t exactly mental giants.

Doubt they’ll be able to sort it out.

Hope this has an effect.

57. jrc323 says: Jan 22, 2012 10:10 AM

This has already happened in Philly. I had SRO tickets to the game against the Giants and two ‘Giants fans’ kept walking up and down the ramp almost begging people to say something. they would push their way in between folks and if someone even yelled at them, there were four uniformed officers there in less than 30 seconds to escort them out. bunch of bull if you ask me. one of them was on the ramp below ours and stared at me and my group for five minutes trying to get a rise out of us.

58. dlmcc1010 says: Jan 22, 2012 10:10 AM

They should also try to blend in as one of the locals. A flower in the hair and a Che Guevara shirt would do the trick.

59. nesuperfan says: Jan 22, 2012 10:11 AM

(after the game) In related news, 29 undercover cops were beaten into comas today….

60. mikeeg says: Jan 22, 2012 10:12 AM

I guess SF lost their peaceful vibe when Jerry Garcia passed

61. homebruer says: Jan 22, 2012 10:12 AM

qcsfinest704,
    Do us all a favor,stay home and yell at your TV and dont pollute the rest of the population with your presence. Go seek professional help.

62. lionsfanatic84 says: Jan 22, 2012 10:20 AM

Amen lemam!!!!-
    The said thing is 9ers fans can’t tell the difference between a 9ers fan, a giants fan, or a San Jose sharks fan

63. gregintheER says: Jan 22, 2012 10:25 AM

so why tell the public? oh yeah… i guess they know 9er fans are illiterate and watch reality tv instead of the news.

Worse fan base ever. More douches per capita than any other stadium in the league. By far.

64. Derty Ernie says: Jan 22, 2012 10:27 AM

I wonder if they will be required to root for the Giants as well?

65. Derty Ernie says: Jan 22, 2012 10:27 AM

You can spot these fans by the box of donuts in their laps.

66. mikeeg says: Jan 22, 2012 10:31 AM

bunjy96 says: Jan 22, 2012 9:45 AM

Thought I read someplace that Philly has a judge and a jail at their stadium.

Is that correct?

—————–

YUUUUUUUP

67. citynative says: Jan 22, 2012 10:36 AM

Take your cheap shots at our City and fan base. Its ok. But make up your minds. First us west coast sports fans are soft. Now we hear its too tough of a place to watch a game. Like it has been mentioned before, every fan base has great fans and idiots. Its perplexing why the Saints fan shooting the Niner fan story has been buried. I guess its just more lazy journalism. Before you rip us though remember its our area that increases security, publishes Letters to the Editor like the Saints one last week, and has Cops pose as Giants fans in the name of security. Would I get that sane protection as a Niner fan in New York? No. So trash us all you want, but you folks are still moving out here to California in bunches.

68. pftcensorssuck says: Jan 22, 2012 10:36 AM

qcsfinest704 says:
    Jan 22, 2012 8:42 AM

The way to fix this is DONT BE A GIANTS FAN THIS WEEK.

GO 49ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

——————————————————–
    Great job.

You just showed everyone what morons the typical Niner’s fan scan be.

69. Xenu D. Alien says: Jan 22, 2012 10:43 AM

They should just dress like cops, but sit with a biker, sailor, construction worker, cowboy and an Indian.

70. turbodog1027 says: Jan 22, 2012 10:52 AM

Niner fans are the worst in the league. I would never take any of my family members to a game there. Wonder why they are so angry there? City is beautiful.

71. blu4l1fe says: Jan 22, 2012 10:53 AM

qcsfinest704 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:42 AM

The way to fix this is DONT BE A GIANTS FAN THIS WEEK.

———————————————————–

This dumb comment really says it all. All week I’ve been reading about how Giants fans are the worst, arrogant and obnoxious fan base there is from, guess who, 9ers fans. But here it is, the NFL taking matters into their own hands to prevent a repeat of an ugly incident from last week’s Saints-9ers game in SF.

I guess people need some kind of protection from those well-behaved, hospitable 9ers fans.

Go Big Blue!!!!

72. scoob766 says: Jan 22, 2012 10:53 AM

Do you blame niner fans? After watching jersey shore who doesnt want to harass everyone that loves the new jersey giants

73. greymares says: Jan 22, 2012 10:53 AM

wouldn’t work in Buffalo you need a 70 yr. old cop they only pick on the old and feeble up there.

74. greymares says: Jan 22, 2012 10:57 AM

Derty Ernie says:
    Jan 22, 2012 10:27 AM
    I wonder if they will be required to root for the Giants as well?

—————————————————–no sir that would be cruel and unusial punishment.

75. bayoubauer says: Jan 22, 2012 11:03 AM

What’s the over/under on the first whiner niner fan getting tossed?

76. goawayeverybody says: Jan 22, 2012 11:10 AM

How about not letting in people who are already DEMONSTRABLY drunk!

77. lolb23 says: Jan 22, 2012 11:14 AM

That dude looks like Cobra Commander

78. fittytuckin says: Jan 22, 2012 11:17 AM

abninf says:Jan 22, 2012 8:49 AM
    The policeman from the Village People will be out there.
    ——————————
    Absolutely hilarious.

79. gcsuk says: Jan 22, 2012 11:23 AM

qcsfinest704 says:
    Jan 22, 2012 8:42 AM

The way to fix this is DONT BE A GIANTS FAN THIS WEEK.
    ——————————————————-
    How about “DON’T BE AN IDIOT THIS WEEK”?

80. bleed4philly says: Jan 22, 2012 11:36 AM

Eagles fans are the best there is in sports. They would take on the eagles front office and overpaid deadbeat athletes before visiting fans. F what everyone says.

81. thevalsalvamanouvre says: Jan 22, 2012 11:44 AM

This is a good call by both the cops and the Niners FO. Scumbags who make life miserable for visiting fans should be dealt with harshly…and that goes for every stadium in the league. A little ribbing is one thing, having obscenities screamed at you and having beer and god knows whatever else thrown at you is a completely different matter.

82. nomoreseasontix says: Jan 22, 2012 12:12 PM

It’s got to have something to do with us Raider fans… You haven’t seen ghetto morons at a football game until you go to the stick.

But, no… It’s always the Raider fans causing trouble at the stick during the pre-season game, right?

83. bcgreg says: Jan 22, 2012 12:19 PM

@ gregintheER

I hope you’re not going to the game because you might end up being…gregintheER!

84. marcsasharc says: Jan 22, 2012 12:20 PM

Aw look, more 9er hate.

Are you guys really that jealous of CA/SF?

85. 69finfan says: Jan 22, 2012 12:26 PM

It’s the NFC Championship and it’s a 6:30 game. If you don’t let people in that are noticably drunk that eliminates at least 50% of the attendees, not just at this game but at virtually any professional sporting event. Liquid courage makes people stupid.

86. gcsuk says: Jan 22, 2012 12:27 PM

greymares says:
    Jan 22, 2012 10:57 AM
    Derty Ernie says:
    Jan 22, 2012 10:27 AM
    I wonder if they will be required to root for the Giants as well?

—————————————————–no sir that would be cruel and unusial punishment.
    ———————————————————
    Hey greymares. Cruel and unusual punishment. Sort of like rooting for the Eagles, huh?

87. JSpicoli says: Jan 22, 2012 12:31 PM

Xenu D. Alien says:
    Jan 22, 2012 10:43 AM

___________________________________

^^^^This.
    Needs more love.

88. JSpicoli says: Jan 22, 2012 12:35 PM

Great tactic, and to insure it works, make the decoy a dude who looks like Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters and have him walk with the hottest fake wife possible.

That should smoke out even the ones who read about the sting.

89. rayguyreturns says: Jan 22, 2012 12:58 PM

“undercover police officers will be posing as Giants fans”
    _____________________________________

News Flash: SFPD officers ARE Giants fans.

90. theysone says: Jan 22, 2012 1:11 PM

At last week’s game, the worst I saw was the booing of Saints fans as they’d get up to get a drink.

There were two Saints fans in my immediate area. One kept to himself and simply cheered for his team. No one bothered him.

The other was a loud mouthed drunk woman who was talking trash the entire game, and screaming in people’s ears. She got an earful of trash talk back, but nothing obscene.

Moral of the story, other than a couple isolated morons, if you don’t start anything, you’ll be fine.

91. dd393 says: Jan 22, 2012 4:30 PM

I’ve been to quite a few games at Lambeau and sat near quite a few visiting fans. There’s always some banter, but it’s always been good natured fun. It looks as though the friendliest places to visit have the most knowledgeable fans.

92. nomoreseasontix says: Jan 22, 2012 5:58 PM

“Are we too soft or too hard? Make up your minds. Oh wait, you can’t. You’re haters. Carry on!”
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mostly too stupid, ghetto and useless…

Carry on.