Report: Oregon coach Chip Kelly close to deal with Bucs

Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio - Wisconsin v Oregon Getty Images

Two days ago, we pointed out that a college coach could come out of nowhere to fill one of the four remaining coaching vacancies.  More than a week ago, a man who coached two of the teams currently looking for a new head coach (former Buccaneers and Colts coach Tony Dungy) told PFT Live that Oregon coach Chip Kelly would be a good NFL coach.

Chip knows how to motivate people,” Dungy said. “He thinks outside the box.”

Now, KGW-TV in Portland reports that Oregon coach Chip Kelly is close to becoming the coach of the Buccaneers.

“Kelly is in the process of finalizing a deal that would make him the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers,” Michael Berk of KGW Sports writes.  “A source close to the situation said Kelly will make the jump to the NFL if he can come to terms on a contract.”

Look for Kelly and the Bucs to deny it until the Bucs can supply Kelly as the coach of the team.  Otherwise, Kelly’s incoming recruits will face a barrage from Oregon’s competitors regarding the possibility that Kelly won’t be the coach when the new class of players start their second year with the school.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Report: Oregon coach Chip Kelly close to deal with Bucs”
  1. trbowman says: Jan 22, 2012 8:38 PM

Maybe Darron Thomas has an NFL future after all.

2. rollteal says: Jan 22, 2012 8:38 PM

That could be a very intriguing fit. One I would like to see what the outcome will be. I really thought it was gonna be Marty.

3. slightlyhyphy says: Jan 22, 2012 8:39 PM

This is a desperate move by a flailing Tampa Bay team. They have had trouble selling tickets for games, and generating interest in the team. By bringing in Chip Kelly and his high octane offense, the Bucs are most likely trying to provide a style of play more conducive to exciting football and thus greater ticket sales.

4. nflfollower says: Jan 22, 2012 8:41 PM

Well something tells me this will be either a huge success or an epic reach and fail. Not likely to be anything inbetween.

5. lbijake says: Jan 22, 2012 8:42 PM

Cannot believe Bucs outspent Nike!!

6. terrellpryorstattooartist says: Jan 22, 2012 8:42 PM

I like chip but this ain’t the PAC 12 buddy

7. buckeye1nation says: Jan 22, 2012 8:45 PM

As a Bucs fan I’m not sure how I feel about this. No NFL experience, only 5 years at the major college level (2 as OC 3 as HC) and a gimmick offense that is based on tempo and speed at the skill positions, which we don’t have. On the bright side, with Nike taking over the NFL uni’s we could have some very interesting combinations..Red pants anyone??

8. hus10188 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:46 PM

I would like to see Kelly with Tebow, maybe the Broncos would’ve called had their OC got the Miami job.

9. BuccaneerBloodline23 says: Jan 22, 2012 8:46 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Have we forgotten how this guy abandoned, what was Pitt Pirates to leave for Notre Dame. Also last time I checked how has ND done last year………nuff said. Glazers PLZ god do not hire this turn coat because as soon as a BETTER opportunity comes along this guy we abandon us with no hesitation. I’m so anti Chip Kelly, I rather have Mike Sherman over this coward and Benedict Arnold.

10. buckeye1nation says: Jan 22, 2012 9:23 PM

@BuccaneerBloodline23: Dude..That was BRIAN KELLY..and he left Cincinnati..

11. atwatercrushesokoye says: Jan 22, 2012 9:24 PM

hus10188: How about Tebow for Freeman? I think Freeman fits more into the mould of what Elway (and many of us Broncos fans) see an NFL QB being.

12. deconjonesbitchslap says: Jan 22, 2012 9:25 PM

for some reason, that guy just has a look that says, i’m an arrogant, poopy, ass hair.

13. atwatercrushesokoye says: Jan 22, 2012 9:26 PM

BuccaneerBloodline23: What? First off the ND coach is Brian Kelly, and he left Cincy not Pitt, and he did it after getting Cincy to the Sugar Bowl.

Chip Kelly is the head coach of Oregon and has had his team play in the National Championsip game and the Rose Bowl.

14. BuccaneerBloodline23 says: Jan 22, 2012 9:27 PM

—————————————————–I made a mistake guys. It was Brian Kelly not Chip Kelly who left left Cincy for Notre Dame. If Chip can do the job then go Team Chip Kelly. My bad I got that one wrong sorry ok.

15. patg1041 says: Jan 22, 2012 9:28 PM

Is that supposed to be some kind of joke? Also, anyone who utters the phrase “gimmick offense” is an idiot. When you look at what makes an offense successful, the specific scheme that that team runs is so far down the list, it’s laughable. Any scheme that is properly taught and equipped with good personnel will work. Yes, even in the NFL. The notion of a “gimmick offense” is this Neanderthal, elitist mindset that NFL analysts have perpetuated. Under their line of thinking, anything different is bad. What a bunch of garbage.

16. lorddarkhelmet says: Jan 22, 2012 9:29 PM

oh, and neither Bryan or Chip Kelly were ever with Pitt so I’m not quite sure what you are getting at

17. oldsombrero says: Jan 22, 2012 9:29 PM

I was just thinking the only thing the Bucs needed to complete their return to futility was to hire a college coach. Welcome back Ray Perkins.

18. fortitudeyou says: Jan 22, 2012 9:29 PM

Buccaneerbloodline23. You are taking about Brian Kelly at ND not Chip Kelly who is from Oregon Come on now

19. cgalaxy says: Jan 22, 2012 9:30 PM

BuccaneerBloodline23 says:
    Jan 22, 2012 8:46 PM

===================================

I have no idea who you’re talking about, but it isn’t Chip Kelly. Might want to look into that.

20. ronswansonsdinner says: Jan 22, 2012 9:36 PM

No one was talking about Chip Kelly as a candidate. Glazers pulled this one out of left field. I’m shocked. I wonder if the Bucs will have different uniforms every game like the Ducks do.

21. cmr73 says: Jan 22, 2012 9:37 PM

Is Chip running to the NFL or running away from the NC2A?

22. stlducks says: Jan 22, 2012 9:38 PM

Chip was never at notre dame..he was at new hamp. And then Oregon, know the facts before you hate the man.

23. arizonapetdoctor says: Jan 22, 2012 9:39 PM

USC fans respect chip Kelly. But we will not be sorry if he leaves for the NFL

24. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 22, 2012 10:15 PM

rollteal says: Jan 22, 2012 8:38 PM

—————————————-

Nah. Schottenheimer would make sense. Why would the Bucs do that?

Unless you meant Marty McFly. In which case yeah, that sounds about like a choice the Bucs would make.

25. corndogluv says: Jan 22, 2012 10:41 PM

whats up dush bags

26. bensstinkyfingers says: Jan 22, 2012 10:52 PM

So are we talking about Gene Kelley the famous dancer fromthe 1940′s? or machine gun Kelley the gangster, I’m lost. I’m sure whatever Kelley it is he will do better than the last coach.

27. abuckeye4ever says: Jan 22, 2012 11:22 PM

Looks like Chip has talked to PETEY Carroll in Seattle about jumpin boat from a team about to be axed by the NCAA and jump ship to the NFL !!! Sounds like the NCAA is NOT gonna be too favorable to the DUCKS or NIKE UNIVERSITY !!!! If you smell Somke, then there’s a FIRE !!!! This is a shame how coaches can get away and not be punished by the NCAA. Now, once the NCAA rules on Oregon, is the NFL gonna suspend CHIP 7 games like Tressell or is the NCAA gonna turn a BLIND EYE as USUAL and ONLY make Examples out of a FEW ????? If your gonna make rules, they got to be for ALL !!!! If Oregon was not under any investigation then its a moot point and congratulations Chip. However that is not the case !!!!

28. roamingabriel says: Jan 22, 2012 11:34 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Oh, so you predicted this Mike?

Everybody on the planet knows you were talking about Tressel.

Isn’t copy and paste swell???

29. roamingabriel says: Jan 22, 2012 11:40 PM

BuccaneerBloodline23 says:
    Jan 22, 2012 8:46 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hopefully your bloodline has not been extended.

Oh, my mom said it’s nice to pick on them…

30. frenchy121212 says: Jan 22, 2012 11:40 PM

Hello NCAA violations Oregon. I predicted he would go down in flames at some point. He’s leaving before it happens.

31. tacoslinger619 says: Jan 23, 2012 12:03 AM

He’s pulling a Pete Carroll…..Expecting the Ducks to be in the NCAA doghouse anyday now!

32. mystereo says: Jan 23, 2012 12:18 AM

Raheem Morris 2.0

33. yevrag3535 says: Jan 23, 2012 1:35 AM

Sounds good.

34. lostsok says: Jan 23, 2012 3:18 AM

Gotta give the Bucs credit: this is a really ballsy gamble. It could be a spectacular success OR failure, but it’ll be interesting either way.

I do question whether either the Blur Offense or the 3-3-5 defense will work for more than a few games in the NFL, if at all. Can he coach NFL-style and be successful? Will he try?

Stay tuned…

As someone who neither loves or hates TB, I like this move because it gives me something else interesting to watch for, and otherwise I was totally “meh” on the Bucs. That, in and of itself, is a win for the team. People will be paying attention, at least for a while.