Giants-49ers overtime was viewed by 69 million people

NFC Championship - New York Giants v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

We’ve already discussed the enormous television ratings these NFL playoffs are generating, but the latest number to come in from last night’s NFC Championship Game makes it worth revisiting the subject.

Between 10 and 10:30 p.m. Eastern, Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated notes, 69.0 million viewers were watching the Giants-49ers game.

The game’s audience grew as it went on, and that monster number came during overtime. (It was probably bolstered a bit by non-football fans tuning in for American Idol, which was delayed by the game running late.) To put the audience in perspective, it’s 15 million more people than were watching at the end of the Steelers-Broncos playoff game, which up to that point was the most-watched television program of any kind since the Super Bowl.

According to the NFL, an average of 53.7 million viewers watched NFL games on Sunday, making it the most-watched Conference Championship Sunday in 30 years.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
24 Responses to “Giants-49ers overtime was viewed by 69 million people”
  1. trbowman says: Jan 23, 2012 3:54 PM

The NFL is king.

2. plum13sec says: Jan 23, 2012 3:56 PM

This trend is going to continue. Football IS king

3. eballa1 says: Jan 23, 2012 3:59 PM

People waiting for American Idol to start?

4. gurp99 says: Jan 23, 2012 4:02 PM

so 69 million people saw eli win :)

5. masurix says: Jan 23, 2012 4:03 PM

Along those lines, I liked that Hochuli explained the flags very clearly for new viewers. Lots of non-regular fans were tuned in yesterday, so explaining the rule that was violated was a nice move.

6. pravin68 says: Jan 23, 2012 4:12 PM

Two big teams from opposite sides of the country. You got yourself both east and west coast audiences in full force. Plus a very close game for the SB. Two marquee teams. No brainer.

7. rc33 says: Jan 23, 2012 4:12 PM

What the heck were the other 239 million doing?

8. marvsleezy says: Jan 23, 2012 4:20 PM

Can I be honest? As a huge football fan – I was only watching it because it determined who would play in the Superbowl – It was a boring over time – Couldnt wait to get to bed.

9. theysone says: Jan 23, 2012 4:28 PM

So 69,000,000 people saw Kyle Williams lose the game.

Kyle, i’ll buy you a one way plane ticket out of San Francisco to any destination you choose, provided you never return.

10. citynative says: Jan 23, 2012 4:50 PM

theysone says:
    Jan 23, 2012 4:28 PM

So 69,000,000 people saw Kyle Williams lose the game.

– – – – – – –

As a San Francisco native, 49er fan, and season ticket holder, does this offer also go for you? Can we buy you a ticket to leave? You give our fan base and fans in general a bad name. It sucks to lose but have some perspective. I am sure your “athletic” self sitting in your seat or on your comfortable couch would of done better?

11. marvsleezy says: Jan 23, 2012 4:58 PM

In all due respect to Kyle Williams, if I was his coach, after I saw him DIVE for a fair catch, I would have taken away the punt return responsibility.

You knew right there that this guy didnt respect how important that job is…

12. fmlizard says: Jan 23, 2012 5:20 PM

I barely watched either game. I’m just so fed up with both of the teams I like (Vikings, Chiefs) and their losing that I’ve lost a lot of interest in the NFL.

13. worldwidebleater says: Jan 23, 2012 5:22 PM

Its so damn good on TV, you’re going to see fewer and fewer in the stadiums unless owners change something. $9 beers and no instant re-play? No thanks.

14. contra74 says: Jan 23, 2012 5:23 PM

Just goes to show you that although baseball is America’s pasttime its football thats America’s game!

15. Deb says: Jan 23, 2012 6:42 PM

Remember all those guys who posted here during the lockout that they’d never watch football again? Do you suppose they enjoyed the game? :D

16. 49ersmang says: Jan 23, 2012 6:57 PM

and i was there.

17. hebertespinosa says: Jan 23, 2012 7:02 PM

Now that’s a record in viewership. And I’ve seen some idiots telling they won’t watch the SB this year just because it won’t be a Harbaugh Bowl. To those, I say: stay alone.

18. clawledge says: Jan 23, 2012 7:12 PM

It was tough to watch as a Packers fan, but as a football fan, it was great football. Congrats to the Giants and Pats.

19. docboss says: Jan 23, 2012 7:13 PM

I wonder what the viewing numbers will be for the Rams/Pats in London? Take the population of the greater Boston area and add one.
    Congrats to the 49ers. I think I’ll record the Superbowl and watch it only if the Giants win.

20. cuda1234 says: Jan 23, 2012 7:52 PM

But when the ratings were huge for Broncos-Steelers didn’t everyone in the media say it was only because of Tim Tebow?

21. jerseyshoregiant says: Jan 23, 2012 8:59 PM

He Beavis, he said 69! uhhuh uhhuh uhhuh!!

22. tatum064 says: Jan 24, 2012 12:42 AM

rc33 says:
    Jan 23, 2012 4:12 PM
    What the heck were the other 239 million doing?

================

Either working, looking for jobs, or protesting the banksters.

23. goddamnthatsfunny says: Jan 24, 2012 11:20 AM

that is pretty impressive

24. rollore says: Jan 24, 2012 10:15 PM

That WAS the Super Bowl! Don’t expect me to watch the next one – aka Pro Bowl II aka “the Honey-do Bowl”, for I won’t be watching that. I’d rather watch lips chapping over Tebow for 2 weeks instead of this media-ass-kissing orgy.