Tom Coughlin doesn’t sound ready to ride off into the sunset

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin celebrates in the dressing room after the Giants defeated the San Francisco 49ers in overtinme in the NFL NFC Championship game in San Francisco Reuters

Don’t expect Giants coach Tom Coughlin to pull a Michael Strahan.

Coughlin has one year left on his contract and it looks like he’ll be looking for an extension.

“I feel good. Retire to do what?” Coughlin told Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com.

At 65 years old, Coughlin may be in the year-to-year portion of his career.  But it certainly doesn’t sound he would consider walking away from the game even if he gets a second Super Bowl title.

After this run, Coughlin may just get to actually “retire” on his own terms some day rather than being pushed out the door like most coaches. Giants owner John Mara’s patience has paid off.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Tom Coughlin doesn’t sound ready to ride off into the sunset”
  1. bozosforall says: Jan 23, 2012 6:25 PM

Win a second title and you can name the time that you choose to retire, Tom.

2. mroklahoma says: Jan 23, 2012 6:31 PM

I bet all those people who have been calling for him to get fired over the years feel pretty stupid right about now!

3. ProDolphinsTalk says: Jan 23, 2012 6:32 PM

If BB is the greatest coach of all time according to the ‘experts’, where does Tom Coughlin belong if he beats him in 2 out of 2 Super Bowls?

4. ampats says: Jan 23, 2012 6:34 PM

Unfortunately for Tom Coughlin winning another Super Bowl will not be the problem. He’ll need to come back next season to win the NFC again for another shot to win his second SB.

5. cali49er707 says: Jan 23, 2012 6:36 PM

of course not, he needs the same reff crew to work the superbowl to this time burn the pats, just like the way were jobbed with the bradshaw fumble. because we all know if bradshaw busts out the pile & runs seventy yards, they were going to bring it back because his forward progress had been stopped

6. bearsstillsuck says: Jan 23, 2012 6:45 PM

Refreshing to hear that. I hate when players retire after they win the super bowl even though they could still play another couple years.

7. Angry Orange Man says: Jan 23, 2012 6:47 PM

cali49er707:

Please, niners fans have no right to complain about calls after the last time we faced in the playoffs and the horrendous call on the last play of the game. Also can’t forget Vernon Davis actually being out of bounds on your first TD of the game in this game.

Take the loss like a man, realize you guys are set up to be very good for a long time and stop crying. Karma, even years later is a female dog.

8. soxpatsbscelts says: Jan 23, 2012 6:48 PM

Garbage NY fans! Keep yapping!

9. bryanwenzel says: Jan 23, 2012 6:49 PM

Please someone tell the player behind him that his sign says “National Football Conference Conference Champions”.

It isn’t that hard, folks. The reason people call it a “PIN Number” at the “ATM Machine” is that we, collectively, didn’t slap them upside the head with a cold dead trout the first time they did it, and any of the subsequent times.

Please, people…with baby steps we, the literate, can take back our airwaves!

10. seanmmartin says: Jan 23, 2012 6:49 PM

Pats fan, love Coughlin. Not his fault most of his players have big heads and loud mouths that choose to show up for the second half of the season.

God, doesn’t he look so depressed/defeated when the Giants play poorly?

11. bigbluefan56 says: Jan 23, 2012 6:51 PM

@cali49er707:
    They’re comming out of the woodwork now! Are you serious? I will give you the Bradshaw call even though it was the correct call. 1) Vernon Davis was clearly out of bounds on his 1st TD. 2) OL was holding allllll day, not one flag was thrown. 3) You sacked and hit Eli how many times? And the Energizer QB just kept on comming. I bet your one of the so-called “fans” sending death threats….

Give these teams some credit!!! Niners played a great game and had me, and Im sure every other Giants fan on the edge of there seat for the entire game and Im sure you guys were the same. But the bottom line is, 1) D couldnt stop Eli, 2) Offense couldnt convert 3rd downs 3) Your WR’s were like Ochosinco for the Pats this year, invisible!!! Even though these 2 teams matched up well, we are clearly the better team!!! See you next year!!!

12. profootballwalk says: Jan 23, 2012 6:53 PM

ProDolphinsTalk says:
    Jan 23, 2012 6:32 PM
    **********************************

Dolphin fans don’t get to ask questions about Super Bowl wins. When they win one in your lifetime, get back to us.

13. hebertespinosa says: Jan 23, 2012 6:57 PM

Coughlin should stay. For now!

14. 7to10for6allday says: Jan 23, 2012 7:00 PM

As an eagles fan I have to say the giants deserve credit for playing at the right time. Let’s face it, during the season they were avg at best, losing to Seattle, to Vince young and the skins twice. Not to mention getting their doors blown off by the saints. Having said that they played good when it counted. The annoying thing is that every giants fan is all of a sudden like they knew the giants were going to the SB. Give me a break, that’s your typical giants fans.

15. stonedwhitetrash says: Jan 23, 2012 7:02 PM

Brady is on his way down and Manning is on his way up
    It’s good that they can meet again in the Super Bowl

16. bozosforall says: Jan 23, 2012 7:03 PM

ProDolphinsTalk says:
    Jan 23, 2012 6:32 PM

__
    Neither will be as good as the guy that they named the trophy after. BB sacklickers especially need to realize that St. Vince will never be surpassed.

17. tedmurph says: Jan 23, 2012 7:04 PM

@ProDolphinsTalk :

Coughlin is a good coach, despite the fact he works his players too hard and doesn’t mind throwing them under the bus. If he wins another title, he’s a borderline HOFer behind the 20 or so coaches already enshrined. Not in Belichick’s class. More talk every year about him being fired than being one of the best coaches in the league.

18. bigbluefan56 says: Jan 23, 2012 7:05 PM

@soxpatsbscelts says:
    Jan 23, 2012 6:48 PM

Garbage NY fans! Keep yapping!

===================================

Illiterate, unedjucated Pats fan thinking this is the early 2000’s! Your dynasty is OVER thanks to TC and Eli!!!! And I happen to like the Pats. Dont make me a hater please!!!

19. fissels says: Jan 23, 2012 7:06 PM

He is a winner, he should stay as long as he wants to

20. zimaman says: Jan 23, 2012 7:13 PM

Not for nothin but everyone’s saying how the patriots backed in and it was the ravens who blew it

The same could be said about the g men

If the 49’s had someone that could field a kick instead of #10 the g men would be sitting home on super Sunday

That being said Coughlin is a real good coach

21. briggsweatbird says: Jan 23, 2012 7:36 PM

As a Packer fan, having watched the Giants come into Lambeau and beat the Pack twice in playoff games, I have the utmost respect for Coughlin. And now, I give the same respect to Eli. Coughlin is a great coach, to withstand and persevere as he has over the years in New York. I am happy for him.

I don’t see how New England beats them.

22. east96st says: Jan 23, 2012 7:45 PM

“The annoying thing is that every giants fan is all of a sudden like they knew the giants were going to the SB. Give me a break, that’s your typical giants fans.”

I guess we should become typical Eagle fans and declare our team the winner of the Super Bowl every single August. I said it before here and I’ll say it now – I thought NY was going to be 8-8 because of all the injuries. This is wonderful surprise. You know what makes it sooooo special? This was the year the Eagles President said was a “Super Bowl or bust” year for Philly and a Skins castoff, Devin Thomas, was the hero of yesterday’s game. Your tears taste like candy. Yes! Yes! Oh let me taste your tears, Washington and Philly! Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness! Mmm-yummy! Mmm-yummy!

23. backindasaddle says: Jan 23, 2012 7:54 PM

It has always amazed me how the NY media and fans are out to see Tom Coughlin fired. He’s an excellent coach. The NY media and fans should be asking for the head of Rexy and his big mouth instead.

24. ttommytom says: Jan 23, 2012 7:57 PM

Coughlin is smart enough not to talk about retirement. He saw first hand the adverse affect that can have in a team. He’s smart enoug not to make it about him at what would be the worst possible moment.

25. bigbluefan56 says: Jan 23, 2012 8:02 PM

@zimaman says:
    Jan 23, 2012 7:13 PM

The same could be said about the g men

If the 49′s had someone that could field a kick instead of #10 the g men would be sitting home on super Sunday

That being said Coughlin is a real good coach

===================================

9ers did have someone else, Tedd Ginn who was injured. Next man up!!! No excuses!!!

If the Ravens had a kicker that can kick (he usually can) and a WR that can catch a perferctly thrown ball…….. We would be preparing for the Ravens!!!!!!

I have alot of respect for BB and Tom Brady and root for them when they arent playing the Giants.

As for TC? Well I promise, I will do my best to reflect on this year next season when our season is falling apart…. I promise!!!!

26. dolphins4 says: Jan 23, 2012 8:08 PM

They ought to resign Tom to a long term contract and he should be coach of the year.

27. nationalmediacansuckit says: Jan 23, 2012 8:23 PM

Giants fans you can thank the Jaguars and Wayne Weaver for Tom Coughlin. Even though it was justified when he was fired, he is a great coach. Weaver took a chance on a coach from Boston College to lead his expansion team and obviously it was the right decision.

28. zimaman says: Jan 23, 2012 8:42 PM

bigbluefan56 says:
    Jan 23, 2012 8:02 PM
    ___________________________

you got it way wrong big blue

The Cundiff kick was going through until MHK reached down and blocked it

Giants are actually my 2nd favorite team dude!

Maybe MHK can pickoff Eli a couple of times at the big dance. good luck man there are higher powers at work and I would be worried if I were you.

29. bigbluefan56 says: Jan 23, 2012 9:09 PM

@zimaman

Is this Tebow!!! Wake up! The dream is over!!!!

30. maddenisfordorks says: Jan 23, 2012 9:30 PM

Great man, great coach.

31. darthbaiter says: Jan 23, 2012 9:41 PM

“Giants owner John Mara’s patience has paid off.”

EXACTLY! -signed Norv Turner

32. zimaman says: Jan 23, 2012 9:49 PM

Big blue I think itis you that needs to pray

Regards,

The Boston TE Party #87 and #81

33. jbcommonsense says: Jan 23, 2012 9:54 PM

Tom Coughlin is a very underrated coach.

34. blu4l1fe says: Jan 23, 2012 10:15 PM

Giants fans, unlike Eagles, Cowboys, and Redskins fans did not guarrantee the Giants were going to the Super Bowl. We know we had a good chance due to the players and coach we have. Yes, they were not healthy throughout the season and that may, not IS, the cause of their poor play. We are also very aware, as most of you have reminded us time and time again, of our second half “collapse”.

While they did go through, again, their late season slide, they knew once healthy, they would have a better chance. I would not expect any non- Giants fan to know this as you probably did not listen to any of the post game conferences Tom Coughlin had when posed the question “what he thought his team’s chance is of making a run at the playoffs.”

In any case, what are 9ers and other non-Giants fan doing commenting on this article anyway? Don’t you guys have someone to threaten for your loss last night?

35. bigbluefan56 says: Jan 23, 2012 10:56 PM

@zimaman

Youre smoking crack, buddy! You can pray all you want, they will all go unanswered!!! I really hope you’re not hanging all your hope on the “MHK” theory!!!! If you are or you’re not, Patriots will still lose!!!!

Boston TE Party, say hello to #59, #57, #90, #21 and our mouth from the south #26!!! Remember those jersey numbers because one of them will be crashing your little Tea Party!!!

I live in South Boston and cant wait to see all Pariots fans heads hung low on my way out of South Station on Feb 6, 2012! Oh wait! I’ll be downtown Manhattan at the NY Giants victory parade!!! Suckers!!!!

36. gcsuk says: Jan 23, 2012 11:53 PM

7to10for6allday says:
    Jan 23, 2012 7:00 PM
    ———————————————————-
    I think any realistic Giants fan (I like to think of myself as one) should readily admit that they were hoping for a winning season AT BEST. Obviously every fans hopes that their team does well, but when you suffer the kind of injuries the Giants did at the beginning (and middle) of the season, you temper that hope with reality.

All that being said, I am ecstatic at the way the season turned out. After listening to the Philly hype over the shortened off-season, and Redskins fans crowing over 2 (meaningless) regular season wins, this re-affirms the “team concept” in the NFL. It isn’t the collection of individual talents that counts in the NFL. Nothing proves that more than OUR 2011 NY Giants. Other fans (like skins23 and mad5555) only wish their teams were just that… a “team”.

37. wferg1121 says: Jan 24, 2012 12:18 AM

ALWAYS been a fan of Coughlin, I always thought he was a good coach and better man because of his charities. He was hired by Wellington Mara because he felt his team lacked discipline. He delivered a improbable Super Bowl run. I thought based on that alone he should be able to go out on his own terms. Did I expect this season? Absolutely not, we were never out of it because of our fast start. The giants also had the toughest schedule in the NFL. I was hoping for that defense to show up and compliment that offense. Well they did against Dallas and every game since. I expect it to show up in Indianapolis too!

38. papacrick says: Jan 24, 2012 2:17 AM

Say what you want about Coughlin. He may be the ugliest dude but when he gets a ride to the dance he has the game to pull the hottest chick.

39. august1969 says: Jan 24, 2012 6:47 AM

bigbluefan56 says:Jan 23, 2012 7:05 PM

@soxpatsbscelts says:
    Jan 23, 2012 6:48 PM

Garbage NY fans! Keep yapping!

===================================

Illiterate, unedjucated Pats fan thinking this is the early 2000′s! Your dynasty is OVER thanks to TC and Eli!!!! And I happen to like the Pats. Dont make me a hater please!!!

UNEDJUCATED?

you are PRICELESS bro!!

40. bigbluefan56 says: Jan 24, 2012 4:54 PM

@august1969:

Thats right! I had to spell it that way so you’ll understand it. Thats a very big word, should I have broken it down into syllables for you?

syl·la·ble   /ˈsɪləbəl/ Show Spelled [sil-uh-buhl]

1. an uninterrupted segment of speech consisting of a center of relatively great sonority with or without one or more accompanying sounds of relatively less sonority: “Man,” “eye,” “strength,” and “sixths” are English words of one syllable.
    2. one or more written letters or characters representing more or less exactly such an element of speech.
    3. the slightest portion or amount of speech or writing; the least mention: Do not breathe a syllable of all this.