Peyton calls current Colts atmosphere “not . . . a very good place for healing”

Indianapolis Colts v Jacksonville Jaguars Getty Images

In a lengthy interview containing plenty of content, context, and clues about the future of the Colts current franchise quarterback, Peyton Manning makes it abundantly clear to Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star that now isn’t the best time to be an employee of the team.

I’m not in a very good place for healing, let’s say that,’’ Manning said, regarding the team’s facility.  “It’s not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least.  Everybody’s walking around on eggshells.  I don’t recognize our building right now.  There’s such complete and total change.’’

That explanation implies that Manning is still healing.  Which means he isn’t healthy.  And it also means he’s necessarily frustrated by the fact that he has to try to get healthy in the midst of revolutionary change.

“I mean, it’s 20 degrees, it’s snowing, the building is absolutely empty except when you see coaches cleaning out their offices,’’ Manning told Kravitz.  “I guess it’s the reality of the football world, just not something I’ve had to deal with very often.  But I’m in there every day, so I have to sit there and see it.  Everybody’s being evaluated and I’m no different.  It’s not the best environment.”

Peyton adroitly has positioned the decision on his future as a decision that not he but owner Jim Irsay will make.

“One thing [new G.M. Ryan Grigson] kind-of, sort-of told me, without really wanting to tell me, was that Irsay will be the guy I’m going to sit down and talk with,’’ Manning said.  “That’s going to happen at some point, but we haven’t had that conversation yet because we really don’t need to have that conversation yet.’’

Did you catch that one?  It’s subtle, but significant.  Not “Jim” or “Jimmy” or “Mr. Irsay.”  Just “Irsay.”  Peyton refers to “Irsay” as “Jim” on at least two other occasions in the interview, but to call the owner only “Irsay” in that specific moment is telling.

Folks, Peyton isn’t happy.

“One of the things about football is, it’s a relationship business,’’ Manning said.  “Sometimes guys get fired, it goes across the ticker, ‘Jim Caldwell got fired’ and that’s that.  But when it’s every day in a relationship business . . . with Bill [Polian], with Marvin [Harrison], Edge [James], guys who retire, get cut, traded or fired, it’s just really hard.  I don’t think I have an emotion for it.”

Did you catch that one?  Peyton puts Bill Polian in the same category as Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James.

Folks, Peyton isn’t happy.

“I just want to pay tribute to all those guys,” Manning said.  “It’s unfortunate because so many of them have been such a big part of so many big wins here, and this is so . . . sudden.  Their keys didn’t work the next day.  There’s no other way to do it?  I don’t know.  That’s hard to see, all these people leaving.”

Folks, Peyton really isn’t happy.

But he’s setting it up so that if (when) he ends up playing for another team, it’ll happen because the Colts left him with no options.

“I don’t want to get into some kind of fan campaign with the owner, but I think it’s well documented that I want to play in the same place my whole career,’’ Manning said, which could be just enough to launch a fan campaign with the owner.  “It’s been a privilege to play here.  I love the fans, the city, the transformation of the fans, how our place has become the toughest stadium to play in, the fact our fans wear more jerseys to games than anybody else.  It’s been fun to be a part of that.

“But I understand how it works.  I understand tough decisions have to be made.  There’s personal and there’s business and that’s where we’ve got to separate the two. I’ve seen other guys leave places and it was personal.  I’ve invested too much into this city for that to happen.  We live here, we’ve given lots of time and money to the community and our church, and that’s never going to change.  Nothing changes that.”

Manning says nothing about whether he’ll agree to delay the $28 million option bonus that comes due on March 8 in order to give the team more time to determine whether he’s healthy before paying him that money.  But given his current mindset, it’d be surprising to see him do anything he doesn’t have to do in order to make things any easier for an organization that has made things harder than necessary on Manning’s former coworkers.

There’s no other way to do it?

Yep, Peyton won’t be doing “Irsay” any favors.

At the heart of the matter is, I firmly believe, the team’s apparent intention to use the first overall pick in the draft on Peyton’s successor instead of dangling that pick for the kind of modern-day Herschel Walker package that could propel the Colts to more Super Bowl wins.  I’d previously believed that Peyton already had made that known to “Irsay.”  I now believe that Peyton has come to that conclusion without articulating it to the team.  Yet.

Manning may never have to.  If, due to the current environment in the building, he’s not healed by March 8 and not willing to throw “Irsay” a bone by backing up the due date, the decision that Manning may secretly want will be made by someone else.

The only thing we know for sure is that, contrary to the “report” last week from Rob Lowe, Peyton isn’t retiring.  Yet.

“I never thought ‘Sodapop Curtis’ would announce my retirement,” Manning said.

The full interview merits a complete read.  And none of this should be regarded as criticism of Peyton Manning.  I’m simply trying to analyze and interpret the facts, the statements, and the possible motivations.  He’s a smart guy, and he’s hardly a passive participant in his life.

Peyton surely knows what he wants to do, and his comments to Kravitz surely are aimed at making it happen that way, with minimal damage to the Peyton Manning brand, in Indy or elsewhere.

Permalink 134 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
134 Responses to “Peyton calls current Colts atmosphere “not . . . a very good place for healing””
  1. cusoman says: Jan 24, 2012 9:36 AM

The Luck era has already begun.

2. packattack1967 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:40 AM

I feel your pain my QB Brothah…

Signed,

Brett Favre

3. deeeeetroit says: Jan 24, 2012 9:40 AM

Put your fist on your chin if you arent going to be in indy next year!

4. bluejays20091 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:41 AM

Peyton will be cut the day after the superbowl feb 6th that’s kinda sad news it is the true

5. bengalsown says: Jan 24, 2012 9:41 AM

“Folks, Peyton isn’t happy”

You sound like a dog being teased with the promise of a treat.

Kinda pathetic.

6. weepingjebus says: Jan 24, 2012 9:41 AM

You know what is a great place for healing? The set of a Papa John’s commercial.

7. thejotapee says: Jan 24, 2012 9:42 AM

He’s going to the Dolphins!

8. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:42 AM

Oh call the freaking waaaaaaambulance.

He’s only made what, a couple hundred million from Indy when you think of the all endorsement deals on top of his salary.

If its time to go to a different team, its time. If its time to retire its time. Quit your whining and be happy with the huge fortune you have amassed and that your family won’t have to work for the next 10 generations or ever if its managed properly.

9. pghguyy says: Jan 24, 2012 9:43 AM

They offered the contract honor it. They would expect the same if the shoe were on the other foot.

10. glac1 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:43 AM

I’m sure he senses that the organization has moved on in part because of his contract and how it is structured.

11. jdandcoke says: Jan 24, 2012 9:43 AM

if i were peyton, id shut up and accept the inevitable. there’s is no sense in getting into a war of words and damaging a truly steller reputation.

the colts are doing exactly what they should be doing in the situation that theyre in. they just had the greatest QB of all time play for them for over a decade….and now they are going to draft a kid who, according to everything you here, will do great things in his own career.

considering peyton’s age, salary, and the type of serious injury he sustained, how can you fault the colts?

12. nesportsfan0428 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:44 AM

The culture of a team tends to change when one year you’re playoff contenders, and the next year you finish dead last and you see your younger brother coming to your house to possibly win (another) Super Bowl.

13. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Jan 24, 2012 9:44 AM

Bottom line: Don’t spend that $28 million before you see the check. Advise: Anybody but the Jets. You don’t like chaos so stay far away from that circus.

14. rooneyruleblues says: Jan 24, 2012 9:44 AM

I think Marvin Harrison should just thank his lucky stars that Payton doesnt have to go visit him behind a window and a telephone. Marvin should be in prison.

You see Payton, life doesnt always go your way. Your daddy can’t control everyone and everything. How about we discuss this PAYTON. You signed a HUGE contract most likely knowing you might never play again. That is the thing I find to be the funniest about this. Nobody wants to talk about the fact that maybe payton was a big disingeuous. So maybe irsay is a bit bitter that you played him Payton.

15. bshuclassof2012 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:44 AM

“I never thought ‘Sodapop Curtis’ would announce my retirement,” Manning said.

He was just trying to give an “Outsiders’ perspective.

16. mrstinkypants says: Jan 24, 2012 9:45 AM

Peyton Manning= All your eggs in one basket. Amazing the ripple effect of one (albeit great) football player not playing. Not much of a “team” in this case.

17. Kaz says: Jan 24, 2012 9:45 AM

I think the obvious pain is coming from his rival once again making a trip to the playoffs, while his baby brother looking like the best QB in the Manning family with the potential of 2 superbowl rings. It’s been a rough month. Peyton needs to be careful as to not ruin his legacy as Favre did. He’s hurt and may never recover 100%. Don’t blame those who’s show must go on.

18. mcconnellrules says: Jan 24, 2012 9:46 AM

“I never thought Sodapop Curtis would announce my retirement”

HAHAHAHA

19. stixzidinia says: Jan 24, 2012 9:47 AM

Awww poor Peyton isn’t happy. Whoopity do.

20. terrellpryorstattooartist says: Jan 24, 2012 9:48 AM

That’s football. just because bill spent millions to keep like 6 starters around and fill the rest of the team with mediocre talent that was only made to look decent by your god given ability is the same reason why he’s out of a job. Id rather a team full of average to above average nobody’s then a team with 6 hall of famers surrounded by 48 below average nobodies any day

21. gimmeabruschi says: Jan 24, 2012 9:48 AM

Peyton slams Irsay. Bizarre world in Indy these days.

22. ingraven says: Jan 24, 2012 9:48 AM

Peyton Manning will be taking his talents to “South Beach”. Enjoy the weather Peyton!!!

23. tdk24 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:48 AM

Manning got Irsay a nice new shinny stadium. Now Irsay can cut ties with him and move on and start grooming the next QB to be ready to get him some new improvements paid for 10-12 years from now. Yep, that’s you Mr. Luck.

24. Jose Reyes says: Jan 24, 2012 9:49 AM

Lost in all this is the fact that “Irsay” is making a call for the benefit of the longevity of the team. Even if Peyton is healthy, he’s only got a few years to go especially if he reinjures himself. The Colts need to rebuild, a lot of people forget that the Colts has a pretty rough year the last season that Peyton player, remember that stretch when he threw all those picks and lost them a bunch of games?

I have all the respect in the world for Peyton Manning but the Colts need to worry about their own franchise’s future and Peyton Manning cannot deliver long term sustainable success.

25. almighty1 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:49 AM

Peyton isn’t happy? You mean a guy who missed an entire season for health reasons, watched his team take last place, still not healthy, watches his coaching staff get canned, and has to hear daily his replacement is being picked soon, isn’t happy? Thank god for this site. I’d be clueless otherwise.

26. norseyapper says: Jan 24, 2012 9:49 AM

Tough deal. The team is obviously in a rebuilding situation and Manning is obviously at a point in his career where he feels the need for stability, loyalty, continuity, and a chance to win immediately.
    No one has stabbed him in the back, and he needs to keep focusing on the real work realities of the business and be thankful for the charmed existance he has enjoyed up to this now.

27. jhumbe says: Jan 24, 2012 9:49 AM

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

28. heeeeelzfan says: Jan 24, 2012 9:49 AM

Peyton: IF this is it, thanks for the memories. You’re a class act. I’ve been a Colts fan for 45 years and this is the best ride I’ve ever been on. Thanks again, sir.

29. badtimeoutcaldwell says: Jan 24, 2012 9:52 AM

He got drafted by the Colts in 1998 (which was at the time the MLB equivalent of the Pittsburgh Pirates) and made them into an NFL powerhouse and perenial SB Contenders…

Amazing acomplishment regardless of what happens in the future.

30. sf49ers4 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:52 AM

Maybe Peyton is trying to get the word out that he is “still healing” so the Colts cut him so he can go where he wants to finish his career since Indy seems to be in a state of disarray…

31. dylude says: Jan 24, 2012 9:54 AM

Wooooooooooooow. Lifetime Colts fan right here is very sad and we all will take Manning’s back over Irsay but deep down we all want Andrew Luck and a new team to cheer for if Manning isn’t the Iron Man he used to be

32. dprouse says: Jan 24, 2012 9:57 AM

It’s pretty clear what will happen here – Peyton is going to be cut by March 8. It hurts if you are a Colts fan, but it is the best long term move for the franchise.

As for Manning, he will use this snub as motivation to try to go win one last Super Bowl elsewhere. He should retire, but ego, pride, and passion for the game won’t allow him to do so.
    It’s going to be awful seeing him stumbling around in a strange jersey next year, (if in fact he can pass the physical) but that’s usually how it ends for these guys – there are very few who can bring themselves to walk away voluntarily when the time has come.

33. blackstonevalleykettlebells says: Jan 24, 2012 9:57 AM

I can hear the chainsaw warming up for February….

34. hwatt says: Jan 24, 2012 9:58 AM

WOW. He’s talking about Colts life in the past tense. yeah he’s gone, let the massive offseason bidding war begin!

… how long is it going to take to get in sync with a whole new team? I don’t think he’d gel with Rex and the Jets locker room, the Dophins are usually pretty sloppy… may have to pay attention to that Cardinals offer, give L.Fitz another crack at the big game.

35. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jan 24, 2012 9:58 AM

I’m conflicted. Who (besides a team about to draft Andrew Luck) wouldn’t want Peyton Manning? But the other side of my brain is saying, best case scenario, you’re getting Brett Favre circa 2009. Worst case scenario, your team winds up like the Vikings circa 2010-2011.

I think you let the Jets be the Jets and let them sign him. Big headlines. Big expectations. But you know it won’t go well. And then the Jets are screwed for the next several years.

36. marvsleezy says: Jan 24, 2012 9:59 AM

Aww, little baby is depressed – “I mean, it’s 20 degrees, it’s snowing, the building is absolutely empty except when you see coaches cleaning out their offices,’’ Manning told Kravitz
    _____________
    Its the same weather as when you were going to the playoffs, and its the same situation throughout 70% of the rest of the league that has their season over and has cold weather.

Another thing, this is a facility and city that is going to host a Super Bowl in 2 weeks – And you cant get excited about that???

37. prettytonyt says: Jan 24, 2012 10:00 AM

peyton is starting the ‘let me just tweak my organization through the media to get the heck out of indy campaign’

great time to do so with the superbowl in indy of course.

38. foobarfoofoo says: Jan 24, 2012 10:00 AM

Honestly, I cannot believe that you first fleece the Colts into a deal which pays you 20+ million bucks this year for wearing a baseball cap, gives them a crappy situation deciding what to do for 2012*, and then throw them under the bus …

Yeah, good guy Peyton.

*=Based on the fact that the Colts will only save little against the cap by cutting Peyton before 2012, maybe he realized that they will in fact keep him – just to prevent him from going to a competitor – and he won’t have a chance for another ring.

Peyton, decide what you want. It looked like you were in for the money. If it is the rings, reduce your salary … (stop these superficial “same average as Tom Brady” … Peyton’s contract isn’t team friendly and pays way more).

39. Bob says: Jan 24, 2012 10:04 AM

Typical Manning whining. Peyton blames an idiot kicker for getting liquored up after Peyton’s offense put up zero points in a playoff loss to the Jets. Eli doesn’t want to play for the Chargers (because Daddy told him he shouldn’t play for the Chargers). Daddy’s upset that N.O. was happy over winning a Super Bowl, even if it was at Peyton’s expense. How dare they be happy? And now Peyton can’t believe that the world won’t wait for his neck to heal. WAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

40. Henry says: Jan 24, 2012 10:04 AM

Sadly, it’s going to be a long time before the Colts are relevant again, whether they draft Luck or not.

41. irishking says: Jan 24, 2012 10:07 AM

Peyton will never get over his good buddy Polian being canned.

42. brutus9448 says: Jan 24, 2012 10:08 AM

I hope luck is a bust. The colts sand bagged the whole season to get luck. It shouldn’t work that way. Their owner is a serious dueche it seems.

43. dubaradhandi says: Jan 24, 2012 10:10 AM

Indy don’t do this to Peyton. He deserves better than this. Coming from a pats fan.

44. realitypolice says: Jan 24, 2012 10:12 AM

I know it’s easy for me to say from the outside, but it seems to me that retirement is the only logical option.

If he takes the money and stays, he spends the next couple of seasons on rebuilding team where 8-8 will be a miracle.

If he goes somewhere else, he risks tarnishing his legacy (only slightly, but still) if it doesn’t work out.

It’s not like he won’t have options- every network remotely connected to the NFL would offer him a multi-million dollar contract immediately. And as long as he stays in the public eye, the endorsement money will still roll in.

That 28 million dollar option is making this more difficult on everyone than it needed to be. I can’t see the Colts paying it, but I can’t see Peyton walking away until he’s sure they won’t.

No one is rich enough to walk away from 28 mil without thinking long and hard about it.

45. southpaw2k says: Jan 24, 2012 10:12 AM

I have a harder time believing with each passing day that even if Peyton were put on the trading block, that a team would consider trading for him given his very uncertain health status.

46. nunpuncher says: Jan 24, 2012 10:13 AM

Whatever Peyton……I’ll just wait to see what Archie has to say about all this.

47. guestsinger says: Jan 24, 2012 10:14 AM

I wouldn’t read too much into all of this. Peyton is just hoestly expressing how difficult all of these changes are. As for how the Colts treat him, they already forked over a sizable chunk of change for him to be on the sidelines. If he is not very healthy, I can’t see how they will keep him.

48. wferg1121 says: Jan 24, 2012 10:14 AM

It’s obvious that he thinks they are going to let him go when he is due that bonus. The only reason why the Colts were relevant in the NFL is because of Peyton, without him they are irrelevant again like this past year. Peyton is regarded as the best QB ever. If Peyton can play and is allowed to leave that will be the biggest mistake/disrespect you can do to the greatest player in Colts history. Better hope Luck is not Ryan Leaf, or 5 years is guaranteed misery. Fans will be praying that Peyton doesn’t become a division rival, they need some QB’s in that divison right now.

49. GG Eden says: Jan 24, 2012 10:18 AM

harrisonhits2 says: Jan 24, 2012 9:42 AM

Oh call the freaking waaaaaaambulance.

——-

agree with this really.

50. jamaltimore says: Jan 24, 2012 10:20 AM

I guess Petyon will be “mayflowered” run out of town in the middle of the night by another old drunk Irsay! Looks like the son is going off the deepend in INDY like his old man did prior to him. I’d be suprised if the colts are ever good again once peyton leaves and as long as IRSAY runs the team.

51. fittytuckin says: Jan 24, 2012 10:21 AM

This guy isn’t as “classy” as some of you believe. He sounds like a crybaby. He’s going to go home, lay on his waterbed filled with Oreo cream, and wipe the tears away with $100 bills

52. chocolatebaconbutter says: Jan 24, 2012 10:22 AM

This dude is gone. I think the fire might be out too. IF he does play, I gotta guess Cardinals.

53. golonger says: Jan 24, 2012 10:24 AM

Of course…what else would one expect. Irsay = clueless idiot, just like his Dad…The Colts got lucky with a decade of prosperity….LUCKY….the organization is now headed down the path they USUALLY have…..of incompetance. They will be bad for a long time to come. They gave Manning everything he wanted…it didnt work….now,they are going to throw him away like an old shoe! Doesn’t really matter though,he isnt ever playing again…..now the Colts can go back to what they should be…one of the worst franchises in the NFL

54. peytonwantsaflag says: Jan 24, 2012 10:26 AM

“And none of this should be regarded as criticism of Peyton Manning”
    ————————————————————

The only reason a reporter would put this in is fear of reprisal. Peyton obviously does have the thin skin he is known for.

As for the rest, it’s a business, and “Irsay” gave him the tools he needed to get to the Superbowl (and an argument can be made that they could’ve won more had Peyton played better in the big games)

55. tashkalucy says: Jan 24, 2012 10:27 AM

Look….

If he’s healthy, Manning has another 3-5 years in him.

Is Manning going to give up 2-3 of those to a tam that’s rebuilding?

Is Andrew Luck – the best QB to come out of college since Manning – willing to sit on the bench for 3-5 years while lesser rookie QB’s start in the NFL?

It’s best that Luck plays and grows with young teammates, and that Manning get on a quality team with an under performing QB.

As the saying goes – “when some see the handwriting on the wall, they think it’s a forgery.” The handwriting is obvious to anyone that has followed the NFL for more then a month.

56. cobrala2 says: Jan 24, 2012 10:27 AM

57. cubano76 says: Jan 24, 2012 10:28 AM

You know where’s a good place to heal? Miami! :)

58. rmzthefirst says: Jan 24, 2012 10:31 AM

That’s because that building belongs to some guy with the last name of LUCK now….!

59. pftcensorssuck says: Jan 24, 2012 10:33 AM

Just followed the link to the actual article, and all I can say is “Wow”.

A few thoughts …….

Clearly Peyton Manning doesn’t have the kind of say or influence that we all thought he has. Jim Irsay clearly never consulted Manning on any of the many personnel moves he has made. I can’t imagine Bob Kraft keeping Tom Brady this much in the dark, and Manning clearly has done enough for the Colts to have deserved more input.

Clearly Manning intends to keep playing, and clearly he believes his days as leader of the Colts is very much in doubt, as witnessed by this key statement which PFT neglected to include:
    —————————————————————

“I just want to pay tribute to all those guys. It’s unfortunate because so many of them have been such a big part of so many big wins here, and this is so … sudden. Their keys didn’t work the next day. There’s no other way to do it? I don’t know. That’s hard to see, all these people leaving.

“And I may be behind them. Who knows?”
    —————————————————————-

Does THIS sound like a guy confident of his status quo?????

At this point, there is no way I forsee Irsay paying Peyton the $28 mil he is due, and sadly it would appear that the very face of the Indianapolis Colts is about to be unceremoniously dumped, instead of being allowed to finish out his career there.

It’s important to note that while Manning refers to his owner several times as “Jim”, not once does he afford him the respect of being called “Mr. Irsay”, and indeed, it’s very telling that he refers to him at that point by last name only.

Can any Patriots fan envision Tom Brady calling Bob Kraft by the name “Kraft” ……. EVER?????

That’s more of a criticism of Jim Irsay than it is Peyton Manning.

Manning clearly doesn’t believe he’s all done, and he clearly wants to remain as leader of the Colts, but he clearly understands that this is out of his control and not very likely to happen.

He deserves better from Jim Irsay, and clearly this article is intended to show the rest of the league – and Colts fans – what the deal REALLY is.

Peyton Manning will return to the NFL, and will do so at his previous skill level; I believe that now after reading this article.

It’s a damn shame if that doesn’t happen in a Colts uniform.

60. trollhammer20 says: Jan 24, 2012 10:33 AM

Come on, Colts. Release him and let him sign with another team. That team will then not need one of the young QBs coming out in the draft, and the pool will deepen a little more for teams like my Seahawks, who are looking for young talent at the QB position.

61. peopletrains says: Jan 24, 2012 10:33 AM

Peyton to the Cowboys, write it down… in really light pencil.

62. mrvikingsfan11 says: Jan 24, 2012 10:34 AM

He’s coming to MN folks, that’s right, he will be in purple next year playing in the Superbowl.

63. annes22 says: Jan 24, 2012 10:37 AM

Payton sounds really unhappy now. I don’t blame him, it’s all change right through the organization. If it wasn’t for him the Colts wouldn’t have been anything. He was the organization until he got injured. Everytime I hear Mr Irsay speak I wonder if he is ok. Just take the money and get out of the place, it’s “fallen apart” and take your talent somewhere else.
    The haters will be having a field day with this, just carry on being miserable all of you.

64. akulabug says: Jan 24, 2012 10:38 AM

I am a huge Pats fan and have a serious sports hate for the Colts. Having said that I don’t want to see his carreer tarnished by a stupid fight into the sunset between him and Irsay. Work it out guys.

65. Amadeus says: Jan 24, 2012 10:40 AM

Most overpaid, overrated player in all of pro sports. Take your 28 mil you malingerer and do Oreo commercials. That’s all you’re good for, you POS

66. bspurloc says: Jan 24, 2012 10:41 AM

So…. Peyton what would u say u do here?

67. snikerbotloot says: Jan 24, 2012 10:43 AM

He needs to join the 49ers to win more Super Bowls

68. jbcommonsense says: Jan 24, 2012 10:43 AM

My guess is that Manning is not ready to have the ”retirement” sendoff, and still sees himself as a QB for awhile. If he is healthy, or not healthy, he will just lay it out there, and wait for the teams to start calling. I’d love to see Manning in burgundy n’ gold while the Redskins groom a rookie pick.

69. IMG says: Jan 24, 2012 10:46 AM

If Jim Irsay spent less time on twitter sounding like an ignorant hack (maybe he is one) and paying more attention to his team, maybe Payton would be happier

70. Davo says: Jan 24, 2012 10:48 AM

Welcome to Corporate America Peyton! This is how the rest of us live.

71. Davo says: Jan 24, 2012 10:48 AM

…for a lot less money!

72. abbazabba420b says: Jan 24, 2012 10:50 AM

Have fun with the Andrew Such era.

73. chadmurdigan says: Jan 24, 2012 10:52 AM

Irsay Tweet after reading this article and the interview with Manning:

“If any of you PFT toolz think Manning will b bck, I’ll hunt ya down like a hungry rat in a sewer and mail ur kin ur shoes n scented H20s!”

74. johnnyshore says: Jan 24, 2012 10:57 AM

Sodapop Curtis. Classic Manning humor. Love it.

75. habsman says: Jan 24, 2012 10:59 AM

He wants out and he’s going to make Irsay pull the plug and look like the bad guy. No way Payton extends that bonus option.

This interview is the first part of the “Protect the Lagacy” campaign.

If he plays next year, it won’t be in Indy.

And as punishment for deliberately “tanking” this year, I hope you end up drafting Ryan Leaf this time.

76. animalkindness says: Jan 24, 2012 10:59 AM

Up until I read this article I was really wishing Peyton Manning would stay, after this I am thinking it would be best for him if he left and went to a new team. If that is truly the case then I am no longer a Colts fan. I am a Peyton Manning fan and what he has done for this two-bit city has been amazing. Because of his athletic ability, his smarts and his charisma and yes his humility Indy became something other than the Indy 500.

I, along with many others will miss him but we will be watching and rooting for him, yes especially when he comes back to play the Colts.

Irsay has proven once again that he has no loyalty and no sense.

77. mrfrostyj says: Jan 24, 2012 10:59 AM

Dear Payton,

The people who are loosing their jobs in Indy right now spent the last decade padding your pockets and ignoring the players that helped give you that hall of fame career you have had. Now going into the 2012 season your new GM is stuck trying to figure out a way to clean up the mess the Polians left by letting EVERY star player on a team with tons of holes already become free agents THE SAME YEAR. What was it you said after that AFC playoff blowout almost a decade ago “I don’t play defense”. Well neither does anyone else on your team and that is your good buddy Bill Polians fault. Add that to their other faults like Sub-par drafting and apparently not even knowing free agency exists and their firings were long overdue. I know “Irsay” made things awkward around holiday time by getting rid of your buddies but they were the right moves, even if done a couple of years after it should have been done. The biggest victim of the Polians besides the fans in Indy will be poor Andrew Luck who will have to start his NFL career with less talent around him then Tim Couch had back in 99 and we all see where that got him.

78. goddamnthatsfunny says: Jan 24, 2012 11:00 AM

Already setting up his exit

79. samoanjungle says: Jan 24, 2012 11:01 AM

It’s hard to say if Irsay is making the right decisions until we know if Peyton can play next year and beyond.
    If he is done, Irsay will look like a genius, scrapping everything and getting the rebuilding done as quick as possible, on to the future.
    If Peyton is good to go, and Irsay sinks all of the cap into 2 top QBs, causes controversy, doesn’t trade the pick to fix all of the other issues or lets Peyton go to another team – he will have screwed the organization for years.
    Everything waffles on the health of Manning which only time will tell.

80. 202folife says: Jan 24, 2012 11:03 AM

Peyton is one of my all time fav player/person, but dude you got $20 something million from Indy last year for not taking one snap. You can’t be mad if “Irsay” cuts you especially if you’re still not healthy at this point. I’d like to see you take a knee on your career but if you want to keep playing come to the Dolphins. We’ll gladly take you.

81. toolkien says: Jan 24, 2012 11:04 AM

Well, there was a bunch of revolutionary change with the Colts BEFORE Manning came, if there wasn’t, he wouldn’t have been there. What goes around, eventually, comes around – even for the greats. Their greatness may stave it off for some longer period of time, but eventually the reaper man comes for them too.

Manning does sound a lot like Favre with his maudlin, nostalgic traipse through the past. The glory days are gone, those who were a part of it are gone, and all that’s left is himself with a bum set of nerves.

But he has one of two choices – if he doesn’t like the current atmosphere, and he thinks he can still play, then work out a deal like a man. Otherwise he can throw the team and its management under the bus, create a protracted divorce, and burn his legacy trying to gain revenge.

82. trschlicht says: Jan 24, 2012 11:04 AM

Trade him to the jets so next year Rex’s sb prediction can finally be for real.

83. gacoltfan says: Jan 24, 2012 11:08 AM

I don’t get all the comments saying he is whining. He is just saying that alot of the people he has worked closely with over the past several years are gone. What a horrible person he is for being sad about that.

84. ppc50 says: Jan 24, 2012 11:08 AM

“Colts to more Super Bowl wins” -the comment if they traded the #1 pick. It is funny that the writer thinks the Colts could win more than 1 more SBs with Manning, more than once. They have won 1 SB with him, he was 100% healthy, he had a very good team around him, Manning still didn’t play well, and the Colts played a mediocre team. There is no way that the Colts will win another SB with Manning, mostly with the salary constraints.

85. supermariojosh says: Jan 24, 2012 11:09 AM

Jeez, this is two superstar QB’s in a row that look like they’ll have ugly exits (first Favre, now Manning). Knowing how the Patriots like to show people the door “too soon” rather than “too late,” you have to wonder if the same thing will happen in New England when Brady is almost done.

Perhaps QB worship has gone too far.

86. habsman says: Jan 24, 2012 11:12 AM

And if you’re wondering where he might end up playing next year, start with teams that play indoors. You know, nice climate controled stadiums that can enhance your stats.

87. defscottyb says: Jan 24, 2012 11:12 AM

The Redskins should get rid of Rex Grossman and go after Peyton Manning if he is healthy. Danny Boy, open up your checkbook and let’s starts winning now. Drafting a qb is fine but will take years to develop him. Peyton = skins in the playoffs next couple of years.

88. damnsureis says: Jan 24, 2012 11:13 AM

At least the Colts learned from their previous mistake of building a team with one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the game with no talent around him. Now they will have a team built on a great college quarterback with no talent around him. Should work out well.

89. pastabelly says: Jan 24, 2012 11:19 AM

Transitioning out franchise quarterbacks has to be one of the most challenging things any organization has to go through. It only works well if the quarterback goes out on his own terms when they happen to coincide with the team’s terms. The Montana thing was a bit messy. So was Favre. This one will be no different. I know people like to dump on Belichick/Kraft and the Patriots. But they have a history of letting their long time players like Tedy Bruschi, Troy Brown, and Kevin Faulk go out on their terms. I would expect that Tom Brady will be treated much better than Manning is now.

90. wakexxl says: Jan 24, 2012 11:19 AM

Thats what happens when your team sucks

91. JohnnyRyde says: Jan 24, 2012 11:21 AM

Did you catch that one? It’s subtle, but significant. Not “Jim” or “Jimmy” or “Mr. Irsay.” Just “Irsay.” Peyton refers to “Irsay” as “Jim” on at least two other occasions in the interview, but to call the owner only “Irsay” in that specific moment is telling.

That’s quite a stretch… Lots of people refer to other people by their last name. It’s quite common. Unless you’re saying that in all other interviews he’s used “Jim” or “Mr. Irsay”, I don’t see how you can say this is a telling moment…

92. gacoltfan says: Jan 24, 2012 11:26 AM

All you Redskin fans can forget about it. Peyton and Eli don’t like playing against each other. Peyton roots for the Eli and Giants to win. If he was with the Redskins, in addition to having to play them twice a year, he would also have to want them to lose most of their other games since they would be a division rival. He’s not signing up for all that.

93. animalkindness says: Jan 24, 2012 11:29 AM

Oh yes and one more thing, there would be no Super Bowl here without the House that Manning built.

94. mortymcfearson says: Jan 24, 2012 11:41 AM

Yes, they offered a contract, while he concealed the fact that he’s a cripple.

95. trubroncfan07 says: Jan 24, 2012 11:51 AM

Why would the keep him at such a high price, when they can draft Luck and pay him 30 million over the next five years. The NFL told the players that they wanted to have a rookie wage scale so they could give the money back to the older players that have earned it with solid play over the years. These owners are not going to give these old players the money, and now the young players are making half of what they used to. The players got screwed in this last collective bargaining agreement.

96. citizenstrange says: Jan 24, 2012 11:59 AM

“not . . . a very good place for healing”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Maybe it would help Manning if instead of pumping in artificial crowd noise on the stadium’s sound system the Colts started playing Kum ba
    yah.

97. neatz says: Jan 24, 2012 12:09 PM

If Indy Cut Manning and he is healthy.

98. anrgydeafman says: Jan 24, 2012 12:27 PM

Um, somehow I missed all those “subtle” messages about how Manning really feel but let me guess…he’s not happy?

Maybe he will be happy in KC Chiefs? That would kill two birds with one stone by getting QB AND Offensive Coordinator which the Chiefs badly sought since the Saunders/Green era.

99. golonger says: Jan 24, 2012 12:33 PM

WRONG…the Colts need to learn to not spend 75% of their salary cap on offense and on a QB that just couldn’t get it done. Where did this ” Manning had no help on offense” line come from? It is NOT based in reality. He has had high draft choice talent on that side of the ball his entire career…give me a break. Does everyone forget the trio of Manning, Harrison and James that lasted for a number of years?

For having one of the “best QBs in history”, the Colts certainly underachieved. and if not for a superb defensive performance in the playoffs, they wouldn’t have the 1 SB they do have. Manning has proven to be a flawed QB anyway.

Words of wisdon..spend more on defense…if the Colts had done this, they might have more SB trophies to display!Manning wasn’t and isn’t good enough to carry a team!

100. gmen1987 says: Jan 24, 2012 12:34 PM

Time for Irsay and the Colts to move on. It’s time for someone to stand up and say “no” to the Manning family. For too long they have tried to manipulate too many teams and the system.

And to the fans who think that Peyton is going to come to be the knight in shining armour, you are idiots. And to the owners who think Peyton is going to be coming to your team and lead it anywhere, you are idiots too. To put your eggs all in a basket for a guy who is still not healthy and may never play again is just asking for trouble.

101. santolonius says: Jan 24, 2012 12:35 PM

none of this matters if and when manning is determined to be not healthy… because at that time parting ways with him will make total sense.
    and on the other hand…
    none of this matters if and when manning is determined to be healthy, because the colts will go another year with a healthy manning. wouldn’t they? i mean he’s peyton manning.
    so really… since it is safe to assume we will someday know about manning’s health, there’s nothing of real consequence here.

102. fittytuckin says: Jan 24, 2012 12:38 PM

neatz says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:09 PM

If Indy Cut Manning and he is healthy.He will sign with Houston texans ,, he will get to go against Indy and will have Andre Johnson, foster and that great Houston defense. and I am a pats fan
    ——————————
    I’m a Texan fan and you must be retarded.

103. gmen1987 says: Jan 24, 2012 12:38 PM

neatz says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:09 PM
    If Indy Cut Manning and he is healthy.

================================
    Goobs,

The Texans already have a franchise QB that they are paying big money to by the name of Matt Schaub. They are not bringing in Peyton Manning.

104. rdawg911 says: Jan 24, 2012 12:41 PM

The fact that Indy has cleaned house as it pertains to their GM and head coach serves fairly obvious notice that they plan on starting a new chapter with Andrew Luck. Additionally, to pay the $28 million dollar bonus to Peyton (even though he is one of the all time greats), does not make sense at this point in his career, espescially when you are about to draft Luck, the neck surgeries, and the fact that Indy has to fill additional needs.

Given that Peyton, has more than six months to heal his injured neck, I anticipate him being probably the most sought-after player in recent history. The obvious contenders will be the Jets, Dolphins, Redskins, Cardinals, Chiefs, and Seahawks. I think a few under-the-radar teams will also make a run at Peyton include possibly the Ravens, Cowboys, Broncos, Bucs, Browns, or even the Vikings (obviously the latter two being more longshots).

In the end, the team that gets Peyton via trade, or signs him to a 2-3 year deal will obviously have to be one that has a lot of cap room as he will still be taking up between $15-20 million in cap space. If you check the cap numbers, the Chiefs have $32 million available, and with their good defense, Bowe, Charles, Moeaki, and Baldwin, this looks like the place Peyton will end up.

105. kya_tropic_fan says: Jan 24, 2012 12:44 PM

badtimeoutcaldwell says: Jan 24, 2012 9:52 AM

Amazing acomplishment regardless of what happens in the future.
    ________________________________

Hindsight, always 20/20, right? You have got to be kidding me. The Colts lost in the AFCCG to Pittsburgh in 95. Lost in the first round of the playoffs in 96. And were bad enough in 97 to get the first pick. Sure, 97 was bad, but I hardly consider a team that was in the AFCCG 3 years prior, to be the equivalent of the Pirates…

106. gisellichek says: Jan 24, 2012 12:44 PM

Bye Peyton… “I promise your next contract will be way more than a measly 28M … “

107. jamiebuf12 says: Jan 24, 2012 12:50 PM

who really cares if manning is happy or not? the guy has a broken neck and may never even play again…jim irsay just payed him 28 million to not even take a snap…i would think the story should be about jim being “unhappy”

108. randomguy9999 says: Jan 24, 2012 12:56 PM

Peyton is guaranteed that $28m on mar 8th no matter what….. there isn’t gonna be any nice guy putting it off…. it’s insane to think anything else

Since the Colts have to pay him Mar 8th…. they aren’t cutting him no matter what….. it’s insane to think that also…

The Colts have been shopping him for sure looking to get some payback on the $28m in the form of picks and players… but the guy just had cervical spinal fusion and isn’t really throwing a ball yet…. so that’s a hard sell to say the least….

The Colts will keep him on, draft Luck, bring them both in camp, and Peyton, if he can throw, will get dealt before the 1st preseason… otherwise, he’ll be clipboarding it behind Luck until he’s healthy or he quits.

109. vtopa says: Jan 24, 2012 12:59 PM

Also, does anyone think that there is a cautionary tale in here for Drew Brees, who is about to renegotiate his contract with the Saints. The lesson here is that NO player is bigger than the economics of the game. Ask Favre and Manning. The Colts entire finances were built around developing a team ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL that catered to Manning’s skill set. This is what happens when Curtis Painter isn’t Peyton Manning 2.0.

IF Brees is Smart he will agree to a good contract for a lot of years that gives the Saints enough wiggle room to retain key personnel and he won’t huff and puff when, in 3-5 years they draft a young rookie to take his place. Retire a Saint not a a sinner.

110. gadgetdawg says: Jan 24, 2012 1:07 PM

It is a shame. He will go down in NFL history as one of the most consistent and capable QBs to ever start in the game.

Almost any team will be lucky to land him. Except for the 2001 and his rookie season, the man has consistently racked up 10+ win seasons. I expect most teams would kill to land that kind of expertise. Irsay had best hope Luck is as good as the talking heads predict otherwise it’ll be a rocky road ahead in Indy.

111. baboushka says: Jan 24, 2012 1:07 PM

3 best case teams for Peyton Manning this year. 1-Cowboys. 2-Jets. 3-Redskins. ANy of those 3 and he is in the SuperBowl hunt for 2012. ANd neither team would have to give up much to get him. A third rounder and serviceable backup QB perhaps. Meaning either team’s starter. WHy would he even want to come back to a rebuilding Colts team?

112. bensstinkyfingers says: Jan 24, 2012 1:11 PM

It’s great Peyton wants to be loyal to the city and fans. Too bad, in todays world where big business rules, Loyalty, Respect, and doing “the right thing” no longer exist. Guy’s playing for the same team their whole career is a pipedream from here on out. I’d be happy to have his “problems” though, as would millions of other americans who struggle to get by week to week. WAAAAAAH Play football wherever, get paid millions, entertain us. Tough life!

113. mataug says: Jan 24, 2012 1:16 PM

Something about Indiana and sporting icons eh
    Reggie Miller and the Pacers
    Peyton Manning and the Colts

This man took the Colts from the NFL’s doormat into perennial playoff contenders. Even though he wasn’t as successful in the playoffs, I can bet you won’t find one opposition fan who wasn’t sure what could still happen unless the Colts were w/o three timeouts to stop the clock after the two minute warning in the fourth quarter.

I still keep a copy of the 2006 AFC Championship Game against the Pats on my computer. Great to see him bring them back into the game after throwing that pick-six to Asante Samuel. One of my best memories from American football.

Thanks for the memories. It has been a honor to watch you play this game in flesh (was there when The Colts broke their 40 yr losing streak in Pittsburgh).

114. sws222 says: Jan 24, 2012 1:17 PM

I was going to make a list of all the teams where a HEALTHY Peyton would be an upgrade over their current QB, but it’s quicker to make a list of the teams where he would NOT be an upgrade.

Patriots
    Saints
    Giants
    Lions
    and maybe Chargers.

Everyone else, start your engines!

115. sws222 says: Jan 24, 2012 1:18 PM

I forgot the Packers. Sorry.

116. bigbamboom1 says: Jan 24, 2012 1:28 PM

@ supermariojosh who said: “Knowing how the Patriots like to show people the door “too soon” rather than “too late,” you have to wonder if the same thing will happen in New England when Brady is almost done.”

Of course the same thing is going to happen to Brady. In exactly 3 years. That’s why the Patriots drafted Ryan Mallet in 2011 and hired Josh McDaniel. IMO Belichick will hang up the Hoodie in 3 years. Brady will be shown the door if he still wants to play. And Little Hoodie McDaniel will become the New Pats Coach. McDaniel was brought back to coach up Mallet. Not develop Brady.

117. the1ucallpapa says: Jan 24, 2012 1:38 PM

Let’s be honest, here. The Colts have never had a REAL Defense and have been “Team Manning” since ’98. They only missed the Playoffs 1 time when Manning was the starting QB. Ever since T. Glenn retired, it’s been even more “Team Manning”. Without Glenn, our run game has suffered and opposing Defenses assume the pass. He has little protection in the pocket and has had to make too many pre-snap decisions.

If this year wasn’t enough proof that we had poor, blind leadership, because we won games…I don’t know what is? Remember that before you criticize Manning, to thank him for Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis. GO COLTS!

118. neatz says: Jan 24, 2012 1:42 PM

fittytuckin says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:38 PM
    neatz says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:09 PM

——————————
    I’m a Texan fan and you must be retarded.

———
    There is no need to say all this Lets see when there is a chance of this happening what will your management do stick with schaub or go after Manning

119. gmen1987 says: Jan 24, 2012 1:50 PM

bigbamboom1 says:
    Jan 24, 2012 1:28 PM

================================
    Disaster looms where ever Coach McDumbass is at.

120. gmen1987 says: Jan 24, 2012 1:55 PM

fittytuckin says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:38 PM
    neatz says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:09 PM

——————————
    I’m a Texan fan and you must be retarded.

———

=================================
    Goobs,

The Texans have a big contract with Schaub. They will either take a cap hit if they cut him or have a very expensive backup. Also it would be expensive and risky to bring Peyton in when no one knows how healthy he is.

This is the real world, not a Madden video game where you can bring whoever you want to your roster. Hope you can grasp this, Goobs.

121. Derty Ernie says: Jan 24, 2012 2:02 PM

WOuld love to see the colts keep him and have him have a horrid year. Now that’s some healing. Lets see him take this team to the SB. Ha.

His dad is his adviser and see’s dollar signs in NY aka the Jets. Might as well try and piss off Irsay to make that happen.

122. neatz says: Jan 24, 2012 2:27 PM

gmen1987 says:
    Jan 24, 2012 1:55 PM
    fittytuckin says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:38 PM
    neatz says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:09 PM

——————————
    I’m a Texan fan and you must be retarded.

———

=================================
    Goobs,

———–
    seems you have afetish with Goobs you can have then in your fantasy as I said if he is healthy.
    and when has giving your current QB a big contract a deterrent for any NFL team to bring in a new player or cut anyone..case in point the Guy we are discussing.. fetish man

123. catchmequick says: Jan 24, 2012 2:35 PM

Payton, You helped the Colts and the Colts have helped you.
    It’s a business and your smart and rich.
    Save yourself the headaches and retire before
    You’re cut. Your a class act deserve to go out on your terms.

124. yevrag3535 says: Jan 24, 2012 2:44 PM

Manning is a jerkoff

125. reaser2 says: Jan 24, 2012 2:48 PM

Calling Irsay “Irsay” is how Peyton talks, have you never heard/read/seen an interview with him before? He repeatedly called Tony Dungy just “Dungy” and reference to Tom Brady was either “Tom” or just “Brady”, it’s how he speaks…

there’s a story here, how he says “Irsay” isn’t it…

126. gmen1987 says: Jan 24, 2012 3:09 PM

neatz says:
    Jan 24, 2012 2:27 PM
    gmen1987 says:
    Jan 24, 2012 1:55 PM
    fittytuckin says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:38 PM
    neatz says:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:09 PM

——————————
    I’m a Texan fan and you must be retarded.

———

=================================
    Goobs,

———–

———————————————–
    Goobs, there is this thing called a salary cap. NFL teams can cut players, but they would take a big hit against a salary cap. Teams can’t afford two high salary QBs on the same team without rutting their entire roster.

And Goobs, why would the Texans cut their franchise QB to bring in a QB that may never take another snap? Houston showed how ineffective they were without Schaub.

127. FinFan68 says: Jan 24, 2012 3:32 PM

The GM is obviously distancing himself from discussing the Peyton/Luck decision. It is easier for him to say “ask Irsay” rather than explain it to Peyton and deal with the wrath of an unhappy team leader who would no doubt feel disrespected. Manning’s comments seem to have an “I tried” type message for Colts fans. It seems to me like the Colts are going to move on without Manning and that Peyton fully intends to keep playing as long as he is able to. These comments were all about maintaining his brand and legacy.

He allegedly didn’t want the franchise tag and then backed out of that demand during the CBA/court battle. In effect, this year was essentially a franchise tag type contract that is about to expire with no long term deal in place. Peyton didn’t risk further injury either. I don’t see him cutting any kind of deal with his team and the comments about past personnel are simply designed to deflect any fan blame for him leaving back at Irsay and the Colts.

128. bloomingtonindy says: Jan 24, 2012 3:35 PM

This reads like Peyton does not want to play for Indy any longer, and his PR machine is ramping the story up to make it look like the Colts owner is the goat.

Does Peyton have another Super Bowl in him? Possibly. But you could argue that he had plenty of chances to get more than one ring during his tenure with the Colts.

Concerning Irsay, how many other teams would have moved forward with Peyton’s current contract and paid him without passing a physical first?

Peyton, thank you for being a great QB and decent human. You have done great things for the Colts and city and people of Indianapolis. Please retire with your dignity and the health and admiration you currently have.

It is time for both the Colts and Peyton to move on.

129. NakedCowboy! says: Jan 24, 2012 3:49 PM

I am rooting for Payton to have a successful career elsewhere! one of my all time fav player… it is too soon for him to be done… best wishes!

130. granadafan says: Jan 24, 2012 3:50 PM

Maybe, just maybe the Colts wouldn’t be in this position if they hadn’t had to blow their whole salary cap on you, Peyton. Maybe if you hadn’t held them hostage to sign a $20 plus million contract only to let them know you were actually hurt, they could have planned better for a QB. Instead of being able to draft better defenders or linemen, they had to go to Walmart to get players because of the huge cap space an aging and injured player took up.

Maybe, Peyton, if you hadn’t demanded to take every single snap, every single 1st string snap in practice and completely shutting out the backups ala Brett Favre, the backup QBs might have been better prepared.

Peyton can blame Irsay all he wants, but he has made a major impact on the current state of the Colts.

131. doubleogator says: Jan 24, 2012 7:03 PM

Peyton has been a whiner, he blames his kicker for “being liquored up”and He blamed his offensive line after a big loss on national tv. I live in New Orleans, and I’d like to be a Manning fan, he and his brother both went to high school here, but they are all the same from Archie to Eli, but Peyton is the worst. When he was a kid the Saints let him practice with them, he hung out at training camp for years, and after losing to them in the Super Bowl, wouldn’t even go across the field and shake hands. (his excuse the next day, was he didn’t want to ruin the celebration. If he were to lose to any other team in the Super Bowl, you’d think he’d be happy it was at least New Orleans….but nooooo. Retire and shut up.

132. skasome says: Jan 24, 2012 8:57 PM

It’s nice to complain about a team who gave you 25 million to sit at home. Peyton is just another athlete who is complaining about loyalty when the organization has been loyal by giving him a contract without knowing his health status and now he wants to cry because of the personnel changes. He has done nothing but take from the cap space they could have used for better players to save the colts season, but instead looked out for himself and that is exactly what he is doing here.

133. jprcox says: Jan 24, 2012 9:04 PM

to Colts fans:
    You will be judged by the rest of the league in how you treat this. Not backing up someone like Manning will mean you may have Luck, but you will be the last choice for other free agents. Manny is the best QB in history, and still very much in his prime (towards the end no question). You have NO REAL IDEA how Luck will be in the NFL. Do you know how many teams make mistakes on QB’s??? The Niners thought Alex Smith was a better bet than Rodgers – they said Smith was more pro to-typical. … or you get Luck and he has a career ending injury the first year. You have a known quantity in Manning, and he has given you 100% effort through the years. YOU OWE HIM.

134. georgelovespepper says: Jan 25, 2012 11:33 AM

can you really blame the colts for wanting to take Andrew Luck? he’s young and healthy. peyton is older and his health is questionable.

that being said, they should be up front with peyton since he filled the stadium and sold enough jerseys to have that brand new stadium. They owe him that