Panthers want to know if Chudzinski is still a candidate for Bucs job

Rob Chudzinski, Sean McDermott, Ron Rivera AP

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are taking their time about hiring their next head coach, which means the candidates who are currently employed by other teams have put their offseasons in something of a holding pattern.

One candidate is Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, and that means the Panthers don’t know whether they’re going to have to be in the market for a new offensive coordinator in the weeks ahead. Panthers head coach Ron Rivera wishes he could find out already.

“Believe me, I’d love to know just so we can go forward,” Rivera told the Tampa Bay Times. “We’ve got a lot of things we have to do and we’ve kind of put [them] off during this whole period.”

There’s no reason for the Bucs to speed up the process just to placate the Panthers, but this situation does demonstrate how a team with a head-coaching vacancy can mess with the offseasons of other teams simply by stringing their assistants along. The Buccaneers have indicated that they won’t rush to hire a head coach, so Rivera and Chudzinski may not hear anything any time soon.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
12 Responses to “Panthers want to know if Chudzinski is still a candidate for Bucs job”
  1. screamingsheep69 says: Jan 25, 2012 12:08 PM

Makes sense. He’s helping scout players at the senior bowl, has access to the draft board. Knows all kinds of plans, and can take that info to a division rival.
    Please, just leave Chud alone.

2. phuzzball says: Jan 25, 2012 12:08 PM

Bunch o’ Buc-holes!

3. nationalmediacansuckit says: Jan 25, 2012 12:18 PM

I don’t understand why the Bucs coaching search is taking so long. It’s the top coaching job in the league.

4. dacapt704 says: Jan 25, 2012 1:21 PM

Dear Chud,

Please stay in Charlotte, lets make more history together. We need each other!

Signed,
    Cam Newton

(icon & entertainer)

5. brownsclown says: Jan 25, 2012 1:43 PM

Dear Chud,

Please go to Tampa and take me with you. I want to reunite with my old buddy Kellen. I know I can help you because I am a legend (in my own mind) and I miss your coaching. My former coach was too tough. He insisted that I study film, practice hard, run the right patterns, block, and catch the ball. He also wanted me to be a good teammate and not to act like a Diva.

I could not meet those unreasonable requests.

Signed,

Braylon ‘hands of stone’ Edwards

6. replica33981 says: Jan 25, 2012 2:03 PM

Yes let’s help out the division rivals by speeding up our coaching search? How dumb is that Rivera? Some things are better left unsaid, ask Raheem Morris.

7. olcap says: Jan 25, 2012 2:03 PM

This sounds like a job for….

SuperCommissioner!

From his secret lair, deep inside a volcano, SuperCommissioner, with his trusty (but sometimes dishonest) sidekick Billy B, hatches a plan to deal with naughty teams that take too long to make decisions, especially when the naughty team is one that SuperCommissioner doesn’t like!

Meanwhile, in another town, far far away from his secret lair, SuperCommissioner fights a never ending battle for mediocrity, feminism and two hand tab football in the NFL….

8. flapjackdaddy says: Jan 25, 2012 2:17 PM

Go find your own coach.

9. realitypolice says: Jan 25, 2012 2:35 PM

If I am Ron Rivera, I am barring Chud from the facility until a decision is made.

For God’s sake, they are scouting players and putting together their draft board!

You wouldn’t allow anyone from a division rival in the room, much less a potential head coach of a division rival.

That may sound like an over reaction, but football teams are some of the most secretive organization anywhere when it comes to future plans. I am shocked they are letting him continue to work.

10. chazatlas says: Jan 25, 2012 5:22 PM

Chud stay in Carolina. Tampa, you went the youth route when it came coaching and it was a fail. Tampa needs a HC with experience and CAR needs Chud.

11. bulldogslc says: Jan 25, 2012 9:20 PM

I know Chud will be a great HC, but let’s see what you can do for the next year or two with this offense….Carolina will be a contender!!

12. stugie says: Jan 27, 2012 12:41 PM

Since the Panthers gave permission to the bucs to consider him can they retract that permission?