Source: Chuck Pagano to coach Colts

Chuck Pagano AP

On Tuesday, a guy who spent one year as a defensive coordinator was hired to be the new head coach of the Raiders.  On Wednesday, word has emerged that a guy who spent one year as a defensive coordinator will be hired to be the new head coach of the Colts.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Ravens defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano will accept the job.

Pagano, 51, spent the 2011 season as the coordinator of the Ravens defense, after spending three seasons as the team’s secondary coach.  He also has coached with the Browns and Raiders at the NFL level, and at various colleges, including the University of Miami, East Carolina, UNLV, Boise State, and USC.

He displayed an infectious smile and a sharp sense of humor when introduced as Baltimore’s defensive coordinator last year.  “I had a great experience, or sentence,” Pagano said at the time regarding a prior stint with the Raiders.  “Well, I can’t say sentence, a two-year sentence in Oakland.  And congratulations to Hue Jackson, it’s well deserved.  And he will earn every cent that they pay him.  It won’t be much, but he will earn every nickel.  But I had a great experience out there.  And two years was plenty.”

To get him in position to be a head coach, one year as a defensive coordinator was plenty.

And if Pagano displayed that kind of charm and wit at his interview with Jim Irsay, the two men surely hit it off.

UPDATE 4:40 p.m. ET:  The Colts have announced the move.  A press conference will be held at 3:00 p.m. ET on Thursday.  We wonder whether there will be more questions about Peyton Manning than references to Rob Lowe.

Permalink 85 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
85 Responses to “Source: Chuck Pagano to coach Colts”
  1. jswheeler says: Jan 25, 2012 4:15 PM

who is Chuck Pagano and why isn’t the next head coach Peyton Manning? After all he knows what plays to run anyway. and the colts get to pay 1 salary for two roles.

2. frankgarrett says: Jan 25, 2012 4:16 PM

Bye Peyton

3. jutts says: Jan 25, 2012 4:17 PM

bye bye Peyton…..

4. dylude says: Jan 25, 2012 4:17 PM

We don’t have an Ed Reed to anchor our secondary, a Suggs/Lewis to anchor our middle, or a Haloti Ngata to anchor us upfront so I hope Pagano brings in a hell of a staff or some free agents.

5. thingamajig says: Jan 25, 2012 4:17 PM

Ray, you got all the plays set up and got our “d” pumped?

See, even I could excel at being the Ravens d/c.

6. diehardtwinsfan says: Jan 25, 2012 4:17 PM

Dang… no superbowl tickets for me.

7. trbowman says: Jan 25, 2012 4:18 PM

Great hire by the Colts!

8. kisstherings says: Jan 25, 2012 4:18 PM

I doubt it. Rob Lowe hasn’t mentioned one thing about this….

9. countsnail says: Jan 25, 2012 4:18 PM

Interesting choice, but I won’t consider this news official until Rob Lowe confirms it in a tweet.

10. huskersrock1 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:18 PM

That last name looks too much like Pagel to me.

11. naanunaanu says: Jan 25, 2012 4:19 PM

Good luck Chuck thanks for a wonderful anticlimactic year!
    And so help god he better not use mayflower moving company to leave

12. ralphtherealravenfan says: Jan 25, 2012 4:20 PM

Wow

13. ar082 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:20 PM

I didnt win the Irsay Super Bowl tickets damn!!!

14. jersey73 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:20 PM

Defensive minded HC…Peyton injured, may not play. Sounds custom-made for Irsay to hire Peyton as the offensive coordinator.

15. phillyphever says: Jan 25, 2012 4:21 PM

1) Congrats Pagano. Well deserved.

2) Does that mean Indy’s going from a Tampa 2 to a 3-4 defense?

3) Does Hue Jackson become the OC of the Colts now?

All I know is that Peyton better pack his bags and find some real estate in NJ.

16. larrydavidstern says: Jan 25, 2012 4:21 PM

Shoulda hired Tressel!

17. jmphinsfan says: Jan 25, 2012 4:22 PM

lets hope my tweet to Jim Irsay put this one over the top… Abby better hatpick me for calling this 32 hrs ago.

18. ravenunitas says: Jan 25, 2012 4:22 PM

Damn ba$tards steal from Baltimore again….Good luck Coach Pagano. You got a good one Indy.

19. noquickreactionshere says: Jan 25, 2012 4:23 PM

Damnit!!! I called this the second I heard he was interviewing and because I dont’ have Twitter I didn’t have a shot at the Irsay Super Bowl tickets.

Good luck Chuck! You are a HELL of a coach and will be great in Indy. Interesting to see what they do with the Defensive personell. Tough to run two great DE’s with a 3-4.

20. southpaw2k says: Jan 25, 2012 4:24 PM

I don’t like this one bit. I really wanted him to stay in Baltimore and run the defense with Ray Lewis and Co, but I guess it’s a fairly well-oiled machine. But I always liked his tenacity, and that should translate well into being a head coach. I hope the Ravens find a good replacement for him.

21. dolphan22 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:25 PM

After all the dust settles and thrashing of my phins.it looks as we have gotten the best hire,besides maybe fisher if his second tenure is better than his first.

22. noquickreactionshere says: Jan 25, 2012 4:26 PM

phillyphever says:
    Jan 25, 2012 4:21 PM
    1) Congrats Pagano. Well deserved.

2) Does that mean Indy’s going from a Tampa 2 to a 3-4 defense?

3) Does Hue Jackson become the OC of the Colts now?

______________________________

1) Very Well Deserved

2) I would guess so, he will bring swagger, tenacity, and energy. Great secondary coach as well.

3) Nope Welcome to Baltimore Hue, you can take the “Cam Cameron” name plate off the desk and throw it in the trash.

23. rcali says: Jan 25, 2012 4:27 PM

“Now go get your shine box Peyton”

24. birdsflynorth206 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:28 PM

Great hire by the Colts now make sure you get the right oc and qb coach to work with Luck cuz Manning wont be there to work with him

25. ducksouped says: Jan 25, 2012 4:29 PM

Jesus, this is horrible news. Way to go ravens, let everyone good walk away, and keep cam cameron. Well done

26. northshorejag says: Jan 25, 2012 4:30 PM

I still say Peyton will coach the Colts.

Now maybe just the offense

27. wwwfugu says: Jan 25, 2012 4:30 PM

What’s up, Chuck?

28. guestsinger says: Jan 25, 2012 4:30 PM

Is that Dennis Miller’s brother?

29. gmen1987 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:30 PM

Wasn’t Pagano a member of Styx one time?

30. rca26 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:31 PM

I wonder how many people guessed Pagano. Now I’m irrationally excited about my chances for Super Bowl tickets.

Twitter, you beautiful beast.

31. seidinho says: Jan 25, 2012 4:32 PM

Is the source Rob Lowe?

32. brenenostler says: Jan 25, 2012 4:33 PM

I’ll be happy with this hire. We need a defensive guy. Plus that means there’s more of a chance he’ll keep our offense the same.

33. killerstiller says: Jan 25, 2012 4:33 PM

The Ravens should make Cam Cameron the DC. He can kill an offense!

34. jakek2 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:35 PM

Flag on Irsay. Rooney Rule. What black candidate did he interview first?

35. muskyhunter2542 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:36 PM

Doomed Franchise…. Back to Pre-Manning

36. bmoreballers says: Jan 25, 2012 4:37 PM

Oh well his loss. On to the next the one for bmore

37. joelvis72 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:37 PM

He sounds like an a-hole to me.

38. rstbuilders says: Jan 25, 2012 4:37 PM

Damn! Good luck Chuck…wanted to see you back in Mob

39. jjrs89 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:38 PM

is rob lowe the source?

40. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Jan 25, 2012 4:39 PM

Did a great job of bringing back the Ravens swagger on defense this year. He is like Rex but not nearly as mouthy.

Kind of risky taking a guy who has only been a coordinator for one year but I think it will work out well for Indy, especially compared to the others who were interviewed.

41. atrophiedambitions says: Jan 25, 2012 4:39 PM

So are Freeney and Mathis OLB’s now?

Almost seems like they’ve gotta stay with the Tampa 2. Even if Freeney and Mathis could make that transition well, the rest of their front seven would not be nearly strong enough to play the other 5 positions of a 3-4. For example, who on their current roster could play a zero-tech NT??? They could spend every draft pick on defense and still go 0-16 next season if they switch to a 3-4.

42. ar1888 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:40 PM

I like it!

43. rca26 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:41 PM

@jakek2 I’m pretty sure he interviewed Jerry Gray (Who seemed to be this year’s Leslie Frazier/Ron Rivera) right off the bat.

44. alldonesmith says: Jan 25, 2012 4:41 PM

Pagano’s a good coach, but he and Grigson have their work cut out for them. Bill Polian basically drafted Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Bob Sanders and then called it good. on the bright side, having Andrew Luck dropped into their laps will most likely make revamping the roster a whole lot easier…

45. jamaltimore says: Jan 25, 2012 4:43 PM

First no superbowl trip.
    Second Cam Cameron appears to be staying
    Third Pagano appears to be leaving for the COLTS of all teams… If he has a sense of humor you say he does he needs to have Mayflower coordinate his move to INDY!

Ray Lewis should have a unlimited trust fund set-up for his kids from all the DC’s/linebacker coaches the HE made Head Coaches! Amazing.

46. gmsalpha says: Jan 25, 2012 4:43 PM

Not a bad resume, and they could have done worse. But he got the job because of his personality and sense of humor, you can bet.

Peyton should go to Arizona. Great weather, superstar receiver in Fitzgerald, plays indoors, good staff (as long as Haley isn’t back), and a division that is theirs for the taking. Yeah, the Niners are good, but Manning would change everything. Plus, seeing him in Cardinal red would be pretty sweet.

The Redskins are a joke. The Dolphins will never surpass the Patriots as long as Brady is there. And he’d have to fight his brother for title of New York’s best QB, probably losing, while playing for a meatball of a coach and a selfish, dysfunctional cast of supporting “characters”.

47. bmorelikeme says: Jan 25, 2012 4:43 PM

Well I wish he would’ve stayed in Bmore for another year, but you can’t blame a guy for moving up the ladder.

48. t2live says: Jan 25, 2012 4:44 PM

Maybe its just me. Every defensive coordinator for the Ravens goes on to become a HC. Lewis, Ryan now Pagano. Maybe its not the coordinators. Maybe the players make them look good. Just a thought..

49. ghost072 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:44 PM

I love how Pagano’s hiring as head coach of the Colts is a way for PFT to attempt and trash the Raiders again. By love, I mean “find extremely annoying.”

50. drbob117 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:45 PM

Well,I guess that means the Colts will give up less than 450 points next year, so they got that going for them.

51. dondiraider says: Jan 25, 2012 4:47 PM

Awesome! Hope he gets his #$%^ handed tohim for his comments about the Raiders!

52. rj88888 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:49 PM

Great hire by Colts. No first overall draft next year.

53. xli2006 says: Jan 25, 2012 4:50 PM

Boom! This is a pretty solid hire.

Obviously this is a team in transition so we can move past that and focus on the remodel. The next issue is filling out the staff and how to proceed on the Manning front.

I was worried they were going to make a questionable move, but Pagano could be a great HC. Players like him, has a great relationship with other coaches, a sense of humor (Irsay will like that), and will bring some Defensive focus to Indy for a change.

Welcome to Indy Chuck… let’s get to work!

54. ttommytom says: Jan 25, 2012 4:52 PM

I’ll bet he doesn’t hire a kicking consultant…

55. citizenstrange says: Jan 25, 2012 4:58 PM

And congratulations to Hue Jackson, it’s well deserved. And he will earn every cent that they pay him. It won’t be much, but he will earn every nickel.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don’t want to say Hugh Jackson won’t be successful but Tito Jackson will have a better career.

56. dondiraider says: Jan 25, 2012 4:59 PM

Prolly not cuz they arent getting Nata, Lewis and Reed!

57. 11wheatd says: Jan 25, 2012 4:59 PM

I guessed Chuck Pagano on Jim Irsay’s tweet! Fingers crossed!

58. wacco4flacco says: Jan 25, 2012 5:01 PM

As a Ravens fan I was hoping to lose one of our coordinators … too bad I wanted it to be Cam Cameron

59. merchie89 says: Jan 25, 2012 5:02 PM

Also wondering how many guessed Pagano, im saying maybe a few thousand?

60. mswravens says: Jan 25, 2012 5:07 PM

…and yet another man earns a contract off of having coached the greatest LB in NFL history!

Truly, I think Pagano is awesome. Colts will struggle for a while anyway, but I’m sure he’ll find a way to help build them a strong D.

61. i10east says: Jan 25, 2012 5:10 PM

Questionable decision + small market franchise = automatically moving to Los Angeles. LA Colts!!!!

62. mute617 says: Jan 25, 2012 5:16 PM

Wtf Colts? Haven’t you taken enough from the city of Baltimore already?

63. ppdoc13 says: Jan 25, 2012 5:24 PM

it’s not enough that you steal our team. now you steal our DC.

Pagano is a well respected coach who is loved by his guys. It is a pity, from my perspective, but I think he will be successful.

Here is hoping that it takes 4 or 5 years to rebuild the team and Irsay gets the itch and changes things again.

64. avianflew says: Jan 25, 2012 5:29 PM

Who was the Rooney Rule minority candidate that was interviewed?

65. nineroutsider says: Jan 25, 2012 5:29 PM

Mike Nolan is coaching the Colts? Probably a good hire, but former Raven DCs do their best work in Baltimore from what I have seen (Nolan, Singletary).

66. upyoursnfu says: Jan 25, 2012 5:36 PM

I wonder if he left Baltimore in a mayflower van?

67. sdisme says: Jan 25, 2012 5:50 PM

Wonder if he will last the 3-4 years it will take to rebuild.

Congratulations to the Texans

68. jsalis13 says: Jan 25, 2012 5:54 PM

Dammit, can Baltimore have him more than a year at least?

69. realitypolice says: Jan 25, 2012 5:55 PM

1. Thank you Jim Irsay for hiring a coach today, thereby validating my post on here yesterday saying that your Twitter contest deadline meant you would make an announcement today. Screw you, thumbs downers!!

2. Damn you Jim Irsay for not hiring Jim Tressel, not because I thought he would be a good coach, but because I now CANNOT win the the super bowl tickets.

Bad news for all NFL defensive coordinators who have been on the job for more than a year. Apparently, your window closes after year one.

70. njhitman says: Jan 25, 2012 6:06 PM

I wonder how many players will ride his coattail over to the Colts

71. 52crabcakes says: Jan 25, 2012 6:09 PM

love him to death but still want indy to lose every game 100 – 0!

72. thebigragu1976 says: Jan 25, 2012 6:18 PM

Ray lewis should get d coordinator or head coaching job right when he retires he has made 5 d coordinators head coaches and they all mostly suck (m lewis, j delrio, m nolan, rex ryan and now this bum. The 1 constant was r lewis.

73. musicman495 says: Jan 25, 2012 6:56 PM

Jim Irsay is about to be as reviled in Indianapolis as his father is in Baltimore. He really is delusional enough to think that he – and not Bill Polian – is the reason this franchise has been incredibly successful over the last dozen years. This hiring is preposterous, and if I were Andrew Luck, I might try to start finding a way to “John Elway” myself right out of being drafted by the Colts. (Any chance Luck plays baseball?)

74. jimmylions says: Jan 25, 2012 7:13 PM

He’s done really well as a defensive backs coach, and he had a good season as D-Coordinator in Baltimore, but if I were a Colts fan I’d be a little concerned.

My worries are totally based on PTSD from the Matt Millen era in Detroit! Rod Marinelli was supposedly a Tampa 2 guru and a defensive line genius. When he became the Lions head coach, the defense was incapable of stopping a middle school Pop Warner team from scoring 35 points. The defensive line was the worst I’ve seen in my years as a Lions fan.

Hopefully this works out for the Colts fans. Otherwise you guys always be talking PM (Peyton Manning), and APM (After Peyton Manning). ]

75. moneylaundromat says: Jan 25, 2012 7:48 PM

To the idiots who said they should have hired Tressel–Harbaugh is the exception to the rule that college coaches rarely cut it in the NFL. Please go back to following college sports with all of your “the college game is purer than the NFL” baloney (though that’s mostly said about basketball), leave commenting on the NFL to NFL fans.

76. austynbigg says: Jan 25, 2012 7:56 PM

Without Hall Of Fame Defensive Players, Pagano won’t have any more success than in the past. And why do the Irsay’s keep trying to screw Baltimore?

77. gshah1023 says: Jan 25, 2012 8:40 PM

I also guessed Pagano and tweeted it to Isray… I hope I get the tix. Who wants to go with me if I win?

78. spbadclam says: Jan 25, 2012 9:03 PM

The events in Indianapolis remind me of the Colts final years in Baltimore, after Bert Jones’ initial injury in 1978. I am predicting 2-3 years before “Piss on Irsay” signs appear in the urinals at Lucas Oil Stadium.

79. bleedgreen says: Jan 25, 2012 9:52 PM

How many guys now have Ray-Ray, TSizzle and Ozzie Newsome’s personel skills gotten gigs as head coaches? Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, and now Chuck Pagano. None of them have done squat since either.

80. tdk24 says: Jan 25, 2012 10:50 PM

I hope Irsay gave him superbowl tickets. It’s as close as he’ll ever get to one as a HC.

81. raiderlyfe510 says: Jan 26, 2012 12:04 AM

Chuck who???

So they’re about to invest muti millions in a QB with the #1 overall pick and they’re giving him a defensive minded Head Coach to oversee his development?

Yeah, this is gonna work.

82. pftcensorssuck says: Jan 26, 2012 12:08 AM

Pagano is the perfect choice.

He’ll continue the Colt’s tradition …….. he already knows how to lose to the Patriots!

BWAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAA!!

83. jagwar73 says: Jan 26, 2012 8:19 AM

Ray Lewis’ coaching tree continues to grow.

84. spbadclam says: Jan 26, 2012 9:58 AM

Bleedgreen: you forgot about Jack DelRio. Who also has really done squat.

85. bleedgreen says: Jan 26, 2012 10:38 AM

Not only Jack DelRio, but I forgot about Singletary too.