Bucs say Greg Schiano distinguished himself during coaching search

Greg Schiano AP

After firing Raheem Morris, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers embarked on a lengthy coaching search in which they publicly identified several candidates, brought some of them in for multiple interviews, and then hired a guy no one had mentioned as a possibility.

But even though none of us knew Greg Schiano was a candidate for the job, the Bucs now say that it was clear from their search that he was the right man for it.

“We are thrilled to introduce Coach Schiano as the new head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers,” Bucs Co-Chairman Joel Glazer said. “During our thorough search, we met with numerous impressive candidates, but Coach Schiano surely distinguished himself. From his leadership skills to his impressive track record, he is, simply put, the right man for the job.”

Schiano was apparently the Bucs’ second choice after another college coach, Chip Kelly, turned them down. The Bucs now say they see Schiano as a man capable of doing what the Buccaneers’ first coach, John McKay, did: Leave a successful career as a college coach behind and find success in the NFL. The Bucs just have to hope Schiano gets off to a slightly faster star than McKay, who lost his first 26 games before leading the Bucs to the playoffs three times.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Bucs say Greg Schiano distinguished himself during coaching search”
  1. chadmurdigan says: Jan 26, 2012 3:53 PM

Schiano distinguished himself because now the Glazers have more money to sink into their soccer franchise in Jolly Old England.

2. kevinb73 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:01 PM

I really want to be positive about this, but the Glazers have proven to the whole NFL that they have no intention of bringing a Super Bowl trophy back to Tampa. Please sell the team to someone who can at least fool Bucs fans that they care!

3. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 26, 2012 4:02 PM

I’d like to think it’s a good decision because I’m a half-assed Bucs fan because they are the local team….

But since it’s the Bucs making the decision, I doubt it is a good one.

I’m still bewildered they didn’t pick Chilly.

4. justadude71 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:13 PM

An here I thought they were going to say, “Well, we could not get anyone better…”

5. bigtganks says: Jan 26, 2012 4:13 PM

He distinguished himself because no one else wanted it?

6. annex50 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:15 PM

This is a bold move and one that had to be made. Why would they hire an old, washed-up coach? Why not take a chance on a guy who turned around the biggest laughing stock in college football? He’s a fiery guy and if he can find the right offensive coordinator, this team will right the ship!!

7. deadeye says: Jan 26, 2012 4:16 PM

“Bucs say Greg Schiano distinguished himself during coaching search”
    =========================
    Yes, he distinguished himself as the only man who would take the job.

8. mrgroovesd says: Jan 26, 2012 4:18 PM

kevinb73 says:
    Jan 26, 2012 4:01 PM

___________________________________

Atleast TB has a SB ring…I’m still waiting for the Bolts to try and get one in my lifetime. But we share the same disdain for the owners of the team we root for.

9. jetsfaninpatriotsland says: Jan 26, 2012 4:19 PM

As a Rutgers fan I have now officially given up all hope. The team did seem to be on the rise with Coach Schiano but has stalled the last few years. He couldn’t get us to a BCS bowl and haven’t been close to even having a shot at getting their since 2006. I guess he saw the writing on the wall with the Big East going nowhere and a shot at the Pros. Best of luck Bucs fans…

10. radrntn says: Jan 26, 2012 4:19 PM

i wonder why the coach from oregon passed on this job

11. jagsfan1 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:19 PM

I actually think this will turn out to be a good hire. He is still young, not an NFL retread, did a good job with Rutgers….yes Rutgers.

It will take a few years – but I think he will build a tough, athletic team. I am rooting for him.

12. liner1900 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:20 PM

Why is everyone giving the Glaziers a hard time about their coaching choices? Dungy, Gruden & Morris — 2 for 3 is an outstanding record in this league.

13. ttommytom says: Jan 26, 2012 4:21 PM

I was in college in Piniellas county those first years. Always have a place in my heart for Lee Roy Selmon and Doug Williams. Too bad it’s been a history of shaky owners.

14. deshackle says: Jan 26, 2012 4:22 PM

Must be some slim pickings in the professional football coaching ranks.

15. CJ says: Jan 26, 2012 4:26 PM

nothing against the guy, but Schiano distinguished himself from the other candidates thusly: he was the only candidate they offered the job to who actually accepted it (and didn’t change his mind later).

It’s no secret that they offered the position to several other candidates who turned it down. I know they have to play PR and say this was the guy they wanted all along, but if there’s a Bucs fan that can’t see right though that, I have a bridge to sell you.

16. cjjetsfan says: Jan 26, 2012 4:29 PM

Doesn’t surprise me that the Glazers got fooled…Schiano’s been pulling a con on the entire state of New Jersey for the last 10 years. Pinstripe Bowl winners – now that’s big time college football!

17. biggyd33 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:29 PM

I cannot wait to see this 2 yards and a cloud of dust offense and Manila defense that the BUCS will run next year! (joke)

18. riverhorsey says: Jan 26, 2012 4:30 PM

College coaches rarely work out as a head coach. Jimmy Johnson and Harbaugh are the only real exceptions I can think of and the latter is still up in the air.

I wouldn’t be a very happy Buc fan right now.

19. mikox20 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:31 PM

I am a diehard Bucs fan, but I have got to say we have the most sarcastic and negative fans in the NFL.. almost every post I read is someone posting some hateful comment lol.. crazy ppl

20. dukemarc says: Jan 26, 2012 4:47 PM

The NFL is going to chew this guy up and spit him back to the college game in less than 2 years.

21. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:57 PM

Plus Rutgers sucks, so he was on his way out anyway…

22. rockyburnette says: Jan 26, 2012 5:02 PM

Hilarious, google Fred Wilpon’s comments upon hiring Art Howe, eerily similar. How did that work out? Huge move for Greg, NJ has been tanking since Silvio got shot at the Bing.

23. donttouchthedirtypenny says: Jan 26, 2012 5:05 PM

Schiano clearly distinguished himself from all the other candidates except Chip Kelly.

24. snccoach says: Jan 26, 2012 5:09 PM

He’s not my first choice, but I think this is a good hire. He’s been an NFL assistant, understands the league, and has HC experience. He resurrected Rutgers. People can say look at his overall won-loss record but at least he had the guts to take a pathetic situation and turn them into a respectable winning program.

25. chaser44 says: Jan 26, 2012 5:10 PM

He was my choice to take the penn state job after they couldnt get al golden. Not sure he translates to the nfl.

26. batyuki says: Jan 26, 2012 5:10 PM

The Carolina Panthers thank you for hiring this guy… Leave Chud alone !

27. eaglebobby says: Jan 26, 2012 5:12 PM

Spurrier–2 years 12-20
    Petrino–3-10
    Saban–15-17
    Vermeil–9-19 first two years
    Carroll–14-18 last two years (won the weak NFC West with a home playoff win but went backwards)
    Johnson–8-24 first two years

These are all the guys that came from the college ranks. The only successful one was Jim Harbaugh–but the difference was Harbaugh played for 15 years in the NFL at the most demanding position so he knew what it took to win in the league.

28. milkmandanimal says: Jan 26, 2012 5:14 PM

As a hardcore Bucs fan, it’s difficult for me to describe the level of apathy I have for this hire. If I’m lucky, it might rise to disinterest of even active boredom.

29. noaxetogrind says: Jan 26, 2012 5:26 PM

Respect eveybody’s opinion but Im just curious how this thing that it is a lot harder to coach in the league than college got started. If you talk to coaches they certainly don’t agree. The college work year is significantly longer with recruting and there isn’t a day off in season in college. In the NFL you have Friday evening off in season. The NFL season is certainly longer but there are trade offs at every level. I am not here defending the Schiano hire, have no clue if he is the right guy. I am only saying if you can coach, you can coach. There is a learning curve at every level. Riverhorsey, “Harbough is still up in the air”…really? I can assure you his peers don’t think so as he will walk away as the undisputed NFL Coach of the Year. There have been a bunch of NFL assistants who got college head jobs and failed. Does that mean NFL guys can’t coach in college?

30. BuccaneerBloodline23 says: Jan 26, 2012 5:37 PM

I’m intrigued to say the least. Can’t wait to see how this turns out.

31. sasquash20 says: Jan 26, 2012 5:45 PM

@noaxetogrind, Vermeil took two different teams to the SB, and won with the Rams. Just putting his first 2 years up there isn’t telling. I do agree it is hard for college coaches to make the jump. Jimmie Johnson did pretty good though. It is not impossible to make the jump and to act like it is would be foolish.

32. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 26, 2012 6:11 PM

eaglebobby says: Jan 26, 2012 5:12 PM

————————————-

Yeah….someone other than him being the QB.

33. td40 says: Jan 26, 2012 6:18 PM

Funny how this hire makes me think of my Browns in a couple different ways. First, the whole “he had an outstanding interview” reminds me of Pat Shurmur… I guess experience and accomplishments mean nothing if you give an outstanding interview.

The second reason I thought of the Browns is because I actually hope Schiano works out great and the Bucs head to the playoffs. Why? Just for more proof to stick under the nose of Mike Holmgren that *other* teams can hire rookie coaches (ala Harbaugh w/ the 49ers) and figure out a way to make it work- as opposed to the utter joke the Shurmur plan proved to be in 2011.

34. dolphins4 says: Jan 26, 2012 6:26 PM

McCormack who coached the Eagles before Dick Vermiel traded away the 1st ,2nd and 3rd round picks of the Eagles for the 1st three years Vermiel was there for a bunch of old wore out players.Vermiel did an outstanding job in Philadelphia.Shiano was a great hire.I like this hire alot better than the Raiders and Colts.

35. bucs1905 says: Jan 26, 2012 6:28 PM

The level of stupidity here is astounding. You have the idiot claiming the Bucs were turned down by multiple coaches which is 100% false.

Only Schiano would take the job? Again, they offered it to one guy besides him. So I understand it’s the Internet and you can be dumb and no one will know who you are, but cut it down a little

36. petersonhandshake says: Jan 26, 2012 7:44 PM

To tfbuckfutter: Believe me you don’t want Chilly.

37. commandercornpone says: Jan 26, 2012 7:51 PM

it is an indictment of raheem that he was a defensive guy, the defense melted, then he gets replaced by a defense guy.

38. bryanks1 says: Jan 26, 2012 11:26 PM

he was taught by the best teacher in all the world, JOE PATERNO. and with a great teacher like that he will do just fine

39. onebucplace says: Jan 27, 2012 12:21 AM

This is a very hard pick to like as a Bucs fan — the guy has a 68-67 record. Take away his wins against Division II teams and he has a losing record at the Division I level. He plays in the worst BCS conference and while it’s a big deal that he’s 5-1 in Bowl games just look at his last four bowl games; International Bowl vs Ball State, PapaJohns.com Bowl vs NC State, St Pete Bowl vs UCF and Pinstripe Bowl vs Iowa State.

We got a guy that was coaching in the Beef ‘O Brady Bowl three seasons ago and then the following season wasn’t even good enough to get back to that?

Unlike most of the morons in here I actually followed the team before they won the Super Bowl and remember the old ownership, if they did they’d shutup their bitching about the Glazers. The Glazers are 2-1 in hiring coaches and thats really the only thing that keeps me from being completely negative about the pick. Just please put in a modern NFL offense — the Bucs have talent on offense, they have potental stars at QB, RB, WR and TE but need a really really good coach.

However I really really don’t like this pick right now but will do my best to stay optimistic. Personally if I was hiring out of the Big East I’d go get Jim Leavitt — he did a lot more with a lot less at USF and if the players were acting up you know he’d smack them around.