Football is popular

alfred

Football is more popular than ever in a post-lockout world, according to the folks at the Harris Poll.

Harris Interactive comes out with this poll every year, and this year’s results indicate that pro football has broadened its lead over baseball as the country’s most popular sport.

The lead has jumped quite a bit over the last year. Pro football is the favorite sport of 36% of Americans according to the poll, while only 13% went with pro baseball. The gap was much smaller last year: 31%-17%.

Perhaps the uncertainty over the lockout hurt the NFL’s popularity at this time last year. The work stoppage during the summer clearly didn’t have any lasting negative impact on the sport.

I’m beginning to think I made the right choice to work for PFT instead of GolfTalkCentral.com.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Football is popular”
  1. denverhighrize says: Jan 26, 2012 1:20 PM

This story is definitely one of those moments where I’ll remember the exact place I was at when I read it.

2. effthenfl says: Jan 26, 2012 1:49 PM

i still didn’t click on Golf Talk even though you tried to make me

3. usmutts says: Jan 26, 2012 2:02 PM

Given the popularity of pro football itself, I was surprised at what a huge percentage of football fans seem to really dislike, even hate, the football players themselves, as evidenced by comments on this site during the negotiations.

4. beavertonsteve says: Jan 26, 2012 2:05 PM

I wouldn’t rank it highest, but it’s surprising that Harris hasn’t added an MMA category to the poll by now. I’m guessing it would poll higher than Women’s Tennis or Track and Field…

5. mavajo says: Jan 26, 2012 2:08 PM

And fans are wondering why Goodell was extended. Proof is in the pudding, folks. You may hate him, but the NFL has continued to grow under his leadership.

You may think he sucks, but you’re still watching — and in ever increasing numbers, too.

6. wtfchiefs says: Jan 26, 2012 2:24 PM

The Eagles have the best selling album ever and
    Soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

…Popularity is overrated.

7. pastabelly says: Jan 26, 2012 2:30 PM

Someone else looking like he’s doing a good job is Gary Bettman in the NHL. It’s all relative. But NHL as a favorite sport has tripled since that poll began.

8. buckybadger says: Jan 26, 2012 2:34 PM

@mavajo, anyone could grow this sport in this country. It is like saying the crack dealer in a bad neighborhood is good at his job because he is selling loads of crack. I don’t hate Goodell but the popularity of the sport is growing with or without him. It would take a complete fool to mess up the popularity of the NFL.

I don’t watch because of the things Goodell does, I watch in spite of them.

9. realitypolice says: Jan 26, 2012 2:57 PM

That headline was awesome.

I was scanning the headlines and I saw that one just sitting there and it cracked me up.

Some say I am easily amused.

10. hawkjuice says: Jan 26, 2012 3:31 PM

Wonder how popular it will be once Goodell takes hitting out of the game and makes everyone wear flags?

11. thespeedybee28 says: Jan 26, 2012 3:48 PM

Is that picture of an old Washington and Jefferson College football team? Is this a conspiracy because that is the school Roger Goodell went to? (I don’t really think it is a conspiracy, but you have to be sensational right?)

12. 1captain1 says: Jan 26, 2012 4:03 PM

The lockout didn’t hurt a thing.

We are all here and willing!

13. sdelmonte says: Jan 26, 2012 4:11 PM

Maybe baseball needs some labor discord. Or more concussions.

14. TheWizard says: Jan 26, 2012 4:21 PM

And the Pottsville Maroons still got screwed.

15. jackblackshairyback says: Jan 26, 2012 4:27 PM

mavajo says:Jan 26, 2012 2:08 PM

———————————————————

Substitute BCS for Goodell, and you’d get the irony of college football.