Joe Namath: I feel awful about my relationship with the Jets

joe-namath1 Getty Images

In the last few months, Joe Namath has said the Jets aren’t as smart as they think they are, ripped his old team as lacking talent, and even made a fat joke at Rex Ryan’s expense.

And now, shockingly, Namath doesn’t have a great relationship with the team.

I feel awful about it,” Namath told the Star-Ledger. “I feel awful about my relationship with the Jets right now in the sense — I’m talking about the ownership, general manager and head coach.”

Still, Namath seems to take some pride in the fact that his fundamental criticism of the Jets before the season — that they’re too cocky and not good enough to back it up on the field — was shown to be true.

“I don’t want them upset with Joe, but damn it, I have to say what I see, what I think, what I feel,” Namath said. “With the current Jets situation the last few years, I just tried to explain how I felt about things, and when we talk about our head coach, the Jets head coach, he’s unique. I’ve never seen that style in all the years I’ve been around football.”

Ryan has said he’ll tone things down, so he may have decided that Namath was right to call that unique style into question. Even if Ryan probably won’t be thanking Namath for his input any time soon.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Joe Namath: I feel awful about my relationship with the Jets”
  1. rayjayjohnsonjr says: Jan 26, 2012 7:34 AM

Joe who???

2. buhbay1c says: Jan 26, 2012 7:36 AM

Hey ah Joe…bipolar much?

3. garyman1 says: Jan 26, 2012 7:38 AM

Agreed with most of the comments made by Namath during the year.
    With that said Joe…WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ???

When you rip on someone, they are generally not going to be happy with you.

4. bdfun400 says: Jan 26, 2012 7:42 AM

dear joe,

put down the bottle before you do interviews. I thought you learned your lesson already. See Tony Dungy if you need help.

sincerely,

Suzy Kolber

5. worldwidebleater says: Jan 26, 2012 7:42 AM

Yeah they’ll pass you by…

6. atcojack says: Jan 26, 2012 7:44 AM

“I couldn’t care less about the team strug-ga-ling”

7. srrjr82 says: Jan 26, 2012 7:45 AM

Still kissing reporters?

8. craigsimsrules says: Jan 26, 2012 7:45 AM

I feel awful for how Jow “willie” felt up Suze Kolber on national t.v. a few years ago

9. postfixer says: Jan 26, 2012 7:46 AM

Sounds like Joe just wants to join the Jets this year in Indianapolis for the Super Bowl. Oh, wait…

10. annes22 says: Jan 26, 2012 7:46 AM

I don’t see what was wrong with Namath saying what he said. It was all true. Obviously the locker room was a mess, and it showed up in their playing.
    The coach doesn’t help the situation with his “big mouth”.

11. pkrjones says: Jan 26, 2012 7:47 AM

“I feel awful about my relationship with Suzy Kolber, also”… go remember the good ole days in silence, Joe. The limelight left you many decades ago.

12. mattolikesthevikes says: Jan 26, 2012 7:48 AM

Don’t feel bad Joe. You were right.

13. vikesfansteve says: Jan 26, 2012 7:49 AM

Namath, in what became a famous TV sports moment, slurred to Kolber: “I want to kiss you” — adding he “couldn’t care less” about what was happening with the Jets team.

Namath, who has spoken previously about the episode, says in his HBO documentary that the episode made him realize he needed to work on his drinking problem and “I feel awful about what I exposed her to that night.”

Joe is still making out with the bottle obviously.

14. mikeinfected says: Jan 26, 2012 7:49 AM

rayjayjohnsonjr says:
    Jan 26, 2012 7:34 AM
    Joe who???

Namath. Won a Super Bowl for The Jets, was quite widely reported at the time.

Surprised you haven’t heard of him.

15. quadassio says: Jan 26, 2012 7:50 AM

The Jets are edible garbage. They’re garbage and teams still eat them up.

16. mh28102 says: Jan 26, 2012 7:51 AM

Its not a coincidence that this started after Barkley’s style got big. He is trying to be Barkley….but he is old and irrelevant at this point.

17. steelerdynasty2010 says: Jan 26, 2012 7:51 AM

must’ve sobered up for a few minutes

18. i10east says: Jan 26, 2012 7:52 AM

I wanna kiss you! :-*

19. upyoursnfu says: Jan 26, 2012 7:52 AM

Drunkard

20. 6ball says: Jan 26, 2012 7:53 AM

What was he supposed to say ? The Jets uniforms match the turf ?

21. pitolove124 says: Jan 26, 2012 7:54 AM

If he weren’t always sauced and acting like drunk uncle maybe they’d take him a little more seriously…

22. buhbay1c says: Jan 26, 2012 7:58 AM

Hahaha! Namath and the Jets deserve each other. They are both stupid, like the fans that support them.

23. vincentbojackson says: Jan 26, 2012 7:59 AM

Looks like Namath turned out to be correct on all of his comments.

Truth hurts I guess.

24. okldr8daz says: Jan 26, 2012 8:00 AM

Can you guarantee that?

25. factoryofsadness says: Jan 26, 2012 8:01 AM

I wanna kiss you.

26. Topher says: Jan 26, 2012 8:04 AM

Broadway Joe, the hero, has become Joe Namath, the joke.

It pains me to admit that he really does know an awful lot about football.

27. hailll says: Jan 26, 2012 8:05 AM

I want to kiss you.

28. duanethomas says: Jan 26, 2012 8:11 AM

Joe stepped on a lot of TOES, but he is part of their legacy so they should KISS and makeup.

29. pixelito says: Jan 26, 2012 8:15 AM

Joe’s been playing beer-pong with his daughter again.

30. TheDPR says: Jan 26, 2012 8:17 AM

If the Jests had listened to Joe sooner maybe they could have made the playoffs.

31. marinephinfan says: Jan 26, 2012 8:19 AM

Joe = most overrated QB in the history of the NFL.

Just like the Jets the past 3-4 seasons.

32. stampats says: Jan 26, 2012 8:20 AM

LOL… He’s trying to hard..

What he doesn’t get is that in today’s age we have twittter feeds, Cable Shows, and access to the greatest FOOTBALL minds in the world….. Scouts, GM’s, ex scouts, ex coaches, players on and on…

It’s not that Joe isn’t all Rah Rah Jets… It’s that Ho hum, we all know what’s going on already and you’re just blabbering old news. I can pretty much do Joe’s interviews for him.

To me Ex-players, to be relevant need to really talk X’s and O’s and REAL football stuff what happened and happens on the field…

Talk to me about Happy Locker rooms during a bad season but, sit on that great info the year before in a playoff run and blabber on about nonesense and we have 100 other outlets to listen to….

Joe doesn’t bring anything new to the table…..

Honestly if I hear Joe speak I want to hear about all the chicks he picked up and all the parties he did back in the day – Like a Keith Richards book.

I don’t need to hear from a guy who was AWOL for 30 years when the Jets REALLY SUCKED and needed a voice, to try to prop himself up NOW when the team is actually competitive….

YOU BRING NOTHING TO THE TABLE JOE – Tell us about Drinking, Drugs and Women and I’m all ears… For FOOTBALL TALK, I’m connected to real people involved in todays game.

33. irongershwin says: Jan 26, 2012 8:24 AM

The only man from the Jets who guaranteed a Super Bowl and actually one… I mean won.

34. cshearing says: Jan 26, 2012 8:29 AM

He just referred to himself in the third person? He passed the douche test. He’s a douche.

35. 69finfan says: Jan 26, 2012 8:30 AM

Hate the behavior, not the person!

36. wferg1121 says: Jan 26, 2012 8:35 AM

Looked at some of his comments from the old link, he was spot on. Everything he said in October has been verified.

marinephinfan says:
    “Joe = most overrated QB in the history of the NFL.”

Not a jets fan, but totally disagree with that statement. The guy through for 4000 yards in 1967, because of the rules back then 50% completion percentage was pretty darn good. The guy probably would have had better stats if he didn’t have bad knees, and injuries that plagued his career. No one can deny what he did for the AFL and making the NFL what it is today.

37. nickeldefense says: Jan 26, 2012 8:39 AM

Somewhere along the line Namath became the old guy who yells at the kids to get off his lawn. Let’s see:

Namath was the brash talker; boasting and promising, always with a quote for the press…

Namath was the diva quarterback with no work ethic whos’ teammates didn’t like him and partied all night with a new ho wrapped around his arm.

Namath was made a captain so he would become “responsible”…

He was everything then that they are now (except he wasn’t a right tackle that directed the pass rush towards the qb)…

Over 9000 years later Rex, Sanchez and the Jets need to get off his lawn…and he feels really bad about it.

38. ampats says: Jan 26, 2012 8:41 AM

Joe also said he is excited about the upcoming 44th anniversary celebration which is scheduled for January 2013.

39. pftcensorssuck says: Jan 26, 2012 8:43 AM

marinephinfan says:
    Jan 26, 2012 8:19 AM
    Joe = most overrated QB in the history of the NFL.

———————————————————
    The Dolphins haven’t seen a quarterback worth spit since Dan Marino retired, and you’re passing judgment on Joe Namath?

How’s he stack up against Chad Henne?

40. groess says: Jan 26, 2012 8:47 AM

Who cares what this guy has to say, like marinephinfan says: the most overrated QB in the history of the NFL.

41. nyyjetsknicks says: Jan 26, 2012 8:53 AM

More interceptions than TD’s. Most overrated person in sports history. Go away.

42. 202folife says: Jan 26, 2012 8:58 AM

Hey Joe, you threw more Int’s (220) than TD’s (173) in your career and had a QB rating of 65. Now what were you saying again?

43. harv44 says: Jan 26, 2012 8:59 AM

If Joe was irrelevant they wouldn’t be quoting him on this website.

44. packfaninchitown says: Jan 26, 2012 9:04 AM

The current Jets team is a disaster and that falls solely on the head of the head coach.

Spend less time spewing your meaningless drivel to the media Rex and more time fixing your team and Namath won’t have to say what everyone else is thinking…

45. jcjets says: Jan 26, 2012 9:06 AM

This isn’t the first time this has happened. Joe’s got just as big a mouth as Rex!

But it’s a tough spot for both sides. Any comments Namath makes that are even slightly negative will be blown out of proportion. But he was pretty dead on with his assessment of the team this year. Which, as a jets fan, is kind of cool. He is still very much into the team, and wants them to do well.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t mean anything. Just win and everything else will be taken care of.

46. klink6224 says: Jan 26, 2012 9:07 AM

With how easy it is to be a contrarian in sports there is no reason Joe should be coming out with an “I told you so” quote. That’s like one of my buddies telling me I can’t get (insert any hot female you fancy here -Giggity) into bed. Of course I can’t but in the off chance I do/Jets win the Super Bowl you can point to any number of lucky bounces or unpredictable events that made it happen when it shouldn’t.

Repeat negativity next season..

47. klownboy says: Jan 26, 2012 9:07 AM

Namath shouldn’t feel bad at all. The Jets are a mess.

48. fissels says: Jan 26, 2012 9:07 AM

Joe, go to them and make peace.

49. anasdonuts says: Jan 26, 2012 9:12 AM

Perhaps Joe should make the same proposition to Rex Ryan that he once made to Suzy Kolber

50. tunescribe says: Jan 26, 2012 9:18 AM

Everything the Jets touch gets messed up, including ex-Jets.

51. ravenator says: Jan 26, 2012 9:18 AM

Who talks about himself in the third person? Like the jets, youre also a joke Joe

52. wikidpissah says: Jan 26, 2012 9:19 AM

mikeinfected says: Jan 26, 2012 7:49 AM

rayjayjohnsonjr says:
    Jan 26, 2012 7:34 AM
    Joe who???

Namath. Won a Super Bowl for The Jets, was quite widely reported at the time.

Surprised you haven’t heard of him.
    ================================
    You mean Joe won a Super Bowl WITH the Jets. He completed 17 out of 28 passes for 206 yards, and was named the Super Bowl’s Most Valuable Player, despite not throwing a touchdown pass in the game or any passes at all in the fourth quarter.

You can’t bad mouth an organization and the people in it for an entire season and then be surprised that they didn’t like it.

53. fin1fan says: Jan 26, 2012 9:22 AM

Namath=One good game…shut up you old drunk! (Although I love him ripping this pathetic team!)

54. megatronownsyou says: Jan 26, 2012 9:42 AM

Namath is far more relevant to football than anyone posting here talking about how irrelevant he is. In fact he won a super bowl and everything he has said about the jets has been correct.

55. snappyshay says: Jan 26, 2012 9:46 AM

ne of the most over rated QBs in history. career stats – 173 tds – 220 ints. Best season 1967 – 4,007 yds – 26 tds – 28ints.
    Always a big mouth. One Super Bowl boats and victory and he gets to be a Hall of Famer and loud mouth forever. He and Rex should be best friends.

56. dublindemonszfl says: Jan 26, 2012 9:54 AM

“awe Joe, I just wanna kiss you”
    Suzy Kolber

57. j0esixpack says: Jan 26, 2012 10:13 AM

The Jets organization and fans would be wise to listen to the guy who actually knows how to win Super Bowls.

Last I checked it’s been more than 40 years since they were in a Super Bowl.

Heck – the Houston Oilers have won as many AFC East titles than the Jets have

When Namath makes a guarantee he backs it up.

58. j0esixpack says: Jan 26, 2012 10:46 AM

As an aside it’s really funny to watch Jets fans rip apart the one guy who actually gave them something to cheer about 42 years ago.

59. philtration says: Jan 26, 2012 11:07 AM

He was honest and he was right.
    Just like Fran Tarkenton was right about the Vikings a couple of years ago and everyone bashed him for it.

I am pretty sure that Namath and Tarkenton know more about NFL football then the idiot bloggers and guys typing away in their basement at 2:00 in the morning.

60. ice90 says: Jan 26, 2012 11:17 AM

Look… if you’re weren’t around when Namath was in his prime, you have no standing to say he was overrated.

STATS are overrated. Namath played on some HORRIBLE teams. He changed the direction of pro football when the Jets won SB III. Every player who makes crazy money playing football owes Namath a debt of gratitude. He (and the AFL) made offense relevant and player contracts more lucrative.

The only thing I’ll grant you is that he AND Rex Ryan need to tone it down a little.

61. footballace says: Jan 26, 2012 11:20 AM

All the comments about Namath’s drinking and his I want to kiss you interview are all probably Jet fans who are in denial and don’t want to face the facts that Joe was spot on in his observations of a overconfident Jets team. If you think he was wrong I would love to hear why. The Jets record speaks for itself.

62. rayguyreturns says: Jan 26, 2012 11:50 AM

mikeinfected says: Jan 26, 2012 7:49 AM
    Joe who???
    ____________________________________
    rayjayjohnsonjr says:

Jan 26, 2012 7:34 AMNamath. Won a Super Bowl for The Jets, was quite widely reported at the time.

Surprised you haven’t heard of him.
    _____________________________________

And it was the FIRST Super Bowl win for the AFL, a milestone in history. He beat my Raiders to get to that game, but that didn’t stop us from rooting like hell for him and the Jets to win that game. If you weren’t alive or awake to witness that day, you really missed a great game and moment in history.

For that and his cannon arm, I’ll always love & respect Joe.

63. pooflingingmonkey says: Jan 26, 2012 3:18 PM

He’s not a thrower… he’s a passer (hic).

64. granadafan says: Jan 26, 2012 4:39 PM

Anyone with even mild interest in football could have told you the same thing Namath did about the Jets. However, that doesn’t mean Namath should have said that publicly as a prominent member of the Jets organization. His criticisms aren’t helping and could have been kept in house with private word to the owners, GMs, and/or Ryan. No one is going to react positively to criticisms through the media.

65. gavriloprincip33 says: Jan 26, 2012 11:21 PM

harv44 says:Jan 26, 2012 8:59 AM

If Joe was irrelevant they wouldn’t be quoting him on this website.

————————————-

Not sure this Web site is the best benchmark for relevancy…

PFT, which I enjoy for humor more than journalism, is all about page views…