Mike Tice says his offense suits the strengths of Jay Cutler

Chicago Bears Training Camp Getty Images

After being promoted to offensive coordinator in Chicago, Mike Tice says he’s in constant contact with quarterback Jay Cutler, whom Tice sees as a perfect fit for what he wants to do offensively.

The biggest strength we have is a quarterback who can make all the throws,” Tice told the Chicago Tribune. “We text, we talk on the phone, almost daily. Extensive texting. He’s asking a lot of questions and I’m giving him straight up answers. He either likes the answers or he says, ‘Oh, OK,’ which means he doesn’t like some of the answers. Right now, we have a great understanding of what our philosophy is going to be. And, all of the stuff that we are going to do, he has done. So that is a good thing.”

Tice said he will use the same terminology that former offensive coordinator Mike Martz used, but that the Bears’ offense will look more like the offense that Tice ran as head coach of the Vikings from 2002 to 2005.

“I am tailoring what I am doing to what I’ve done, which is common sense,” Tice said.

The Bears’ offense was playing well before Cutler and Matt Forte were hurt last season, so the most important change in Chicago would be keeping the key offensive players healthy. Any improvement the Meathead can bring beyond that is gravy.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Mike Tice says his offense suits the strengths of Jay Cutler”
  1. comeonnowguys says: Jan 26, 2012 9:15 AM

Translation: Our offense isn’t designed to eventually draw involuntary manslaughter charges against the offensive coordinator.

2. catman72 says: Jan 26, 2012 9:15 AM

LOL, what exactly are Jay Cutler’s strengths?

Looked to me like Cutler should have been handing his paycheck over to Forte for most of the season.

3. gmsingh says: Jan 26, 2012 9:15 AM

If Tice can magically come up with the next Randy Moss he might be able to duplicate the quality of offense he had when he was coach of the Vikings.

4. catman72 says: Jan 26, 2012 9:16 AM

He’s got a strong arm and now idea how to use it… congrats.

5. awolfgang says: Jan 26, 2012 9:20 AM

“Any improvement the Meathead can bring beyond that is gravy” – I see what you did there.

6. polegojim says: Jan 26, 2012 9:24 AM

The question is – which Cutler will take the field when the season starts?

I’ve counted about 4 different versions and none of them play a complete season.

7. mialto says: Jan 26, 2012 9:32 AM

Cutler needs weapons both blocking and running routes. Once this commitment takes place it will be great!

8. diehardtwinsfan says: Jan 26, 2012 9:45 AM

So I’m hearing that there’s going to be a Hester ratio?

9. sikoix says: Jan 26, 2012 9:46 AM

I missed the Randy Ratio offense

10. dublindemonszfl says: Jan 26, 2012 9:51 AM

With Tice as offensive coordinator Cutler will be better than Rogers. packers are in a world of hurt.

11. snowpea84 says: Jan 26, 2012 9:51 AM

Almost anything is an improvement over Martz. The guy thought that if his system worked with Hall of Famers it would work with anyone and therefore never adjusted it. Guess he decided he made them Hall of Famers instead of the hal of famers making him look good….it should be pretty clear at this point which of those is accurate.

12. randolph32 says: Jan 26, 2012 10:06 AM

Come one come all Cutler Haters….you’re very entertaining…his early days were dubious at best, but recently he seems to have figured it out….most of all how to tell his OC to F-off on a National telecast….

13. rabidbillsfan says: Jan 26, 2012 10:49 AM

2 Words for you Bears fans…. Alshon Jeffrey. There is your “Alshon Ratio”.

14. jhumbe says: Jan 26, 2012 11:05 AM

Jeffrey = Mike Williams (USC)… I would rather target a defensive or offensive lineman at #19 and hope a guy like Reuben Randle falls in the second round to where you can trade up with one of your 3rd round picks and get him. I would only take Floyd or Blackmon at #19 and doubt either will be there.

15. jefferee101 says: Jan 26, 2012 11:05 AM

They should have opened this article with the following line: “From the comedic genius that brought you P.R. gems such as ‘Randy Ratio’ and ‘I need a hug’, comes the side-splitting laugher your whole family will enjoy…..”I am tailoring what I am doing to what I’ve done, which is common sense,”.

For real, though, bears fans. This guy is a walking sound byte, and not in the good way.

16. jhumbe says: Jan 26, 2012 11:12 AM

I don’t care what he sounds like as long as he can coach… and he’s proven to be a solid coach over the course of his career. I like what i’ve heard out of him so far. I think the biggest question will be his game-day adjustments and play-calling. I know he will get the most out of his players and put them in the best positions to succeed.

17. beeronthefridge says: Jan 26, 2012 6:21 PM

Cutler needs to change his demeanor from cry baby to hardened warrior!

If he does, watch out!

18. higgy5353 says: Jan 26, 2012 11:02 PM

Cutty does it!!!

19. me654 says: Jan 27, 2012 10:57 AM

I count at least 31 2011 starting QB’s who could not have played in this mess of an offense as well as Jay has……