Rolando McClain trial set for May 17

Oakland Raiders v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain found some trouble, or vice-versa, during a trip home to Alabama in early December.  Fairly soon, he’ll find out just how much trouble that trouble will cause him.

Per the Associated Press, McClain will stand trial on May 17 for allegedly punching a man, threatening to kill him, and firing a gun near his ear.  Specifically, McClain is charged with third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment and discharging a firearm.

McClain has faced no discipline from the team, and it’s believed that he has evidence to undercut the allegations.  He’ll get the chance to present that evidence in fewer than four months.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Rolando McClain trial set for May 17”
  1. joetoronto says: Jan 26, 2012 7:16 AM

It’s time to move away from this joker.

That smile alone while getting busted did it for me.

2. edmazeing1 says: Jan 26, 2012 7:19 AM

Pay the man, & move on!!!

3. GG Eden says: Jan 26, 2012 7:30 AM

and it’s believed that he has evidence to undercut the allegations

—-

yes, his mother is the lead defense witness.

4. cramram228 says: Jan 26, 2012 7:34 AM

Boy am I glad he didnt fall to the giants…who did we draft instead oh righy JPP…all pro in his second season…ahh the raiders gotta love em

5. dawsonleery says: Jan 26, 2012 7:40 AM

After this happened, McClain played his best football as a pro. 42 tackles and 3 sacks in 5 games. He played a lot more aggressive. This kid is 22 years old, has a ton of talent. Would be a shame to see him waste it.

6. hooks024 says: Jan 26, 2012 8:08 AM

” In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed,”
    -The sixth amendment to the constitution of the United States of America.

This timeframe does not sounds speedy to me.

7. okldr8daz says: Jan 26, 2012 8:23 AM

I have evidence that he shouldn’t have been covering Calvin Johnson.

8. joetoronto says: Jan 26, 2012 9:47 AM

okldr8daz says:
    Jan 26, 2012 8:23 AM
    I have evidence that he shouldn’t have been covering Calvin Johnson.
    ***************************************************
    Just to clear this up, he wasn’t “covering” Johnson, it was a Cover 2 Zone (Tampa 2) and his responsibility is the middle of the field, including the deep middle.

So he ended up in coverage, but he wasn’t manned up.

That would have been insane, even for Chuck Breshnahan.

9. Chairman Al says: Jan 29, 2012 1:29 PM

@joetoronto:

This season taught me a lot of things, but above all, there would be no insane defense I wouldn’t expect Chuck Bresnahan to try.

Still boggles me. My only belief on why the Raiders felt they couldn’t find anyone better than a UFL defense coordinator is Al still wanted to run the defense, and needed a limp-noodle DC who wouldn’t question anything he said but at least knew Defensive Coordinator 101. Can’t wait to see Allen whip them into shape. If he keeps Al Saunders for OC and Fassel at Special Teams, I like the chances.

10. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 30, 2012 7:47 AM

I’m hopeful that this new coach can get the most out of the players on the defence. If would be great if Allen can get production out of McClain the way he got production out of Denvers LBs. I’m optimistic based on his recent history. Oh yeah, and make sure you re-sign Branch at safety.