Brady doesn’t want to talk about promise to Kraft

AFC Championship - Baltimore Ravens v New England Patriots Getty Images

There is an oft-repeated story about Tom Brady’s rookie season in New England.  Brady was about to introduce himself to owner Robert Kraft when Kraft beat him to the punch.

Brady’s response: “Drafting me was the best decision this franchise has ever made.”

Brady made a similar promise to Kraft in the wake of the AFC title game. He told the owner he would play much better two weeks later, in the Super Bowl.  Brady didn’t sound comfortable discussing that promise to the media Thursday.

“I’m always trying to play better. Every player on this team is trying to play better every week,” he said via ESPNBoston.com. “I’m glad we won that game, glad we’re sitting in this position now. I think a lot of guys played really well and that’s what it is going to take again this week. I always have private conversations with Mr. Kraft, but they’re supposed to be private. I guess they’re not.”

Translation: Please don’t ask me about that promise again.

Brady’s challenge is to play his best against an opponent that he struggled against in Week 9. Brady may have thought he “sucked” in the AFC title game, but we’d argue his worst game of the year came against the Giants. New York didn’t get great pressure on him, but he missed a lot of throws.

Brady knows the pain that will come if he doesn’t fulfill that promise to Kraft in Indianapolis.

“There’s certainly a finality to this game that you’re putting absolutely everything you can into it preparation-wise,” he said.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Brady doesn’t want to talk about promise to Kraft”
  1. clintonportisheadd says: Jan 27, 2012 9:17 AM

Thats the biggest non-story of the week.

2. ampats says: Jan 27, 2012 9:21 AM

If the Giants can’t get pressure on Brady who has a better O line than in 2007 it is going to be a long day for “Big Blue”.

These are two very closely matched teams but I have a feeling that we may see Brady’s best game yet this season.

3. touchdownroddywhite says: Jan 27, 2012 9:36 AM

I’m not foolish enough to think it will be a blowout, but I think the Pats win on emotion and desire alone.

4. cjepp says: Jan 27, 2012 9:40 AM

I’m a big fan of PFT, but when they sometimes offer “translations”, it’s typical media. I don’t think Brady was being unclear…no translation needed. Of course he wants to play better. This article was not needed….but then again, I read it, commented on it…maybe I’m the fool.

5. pftcensorssuck says: Jan 27, 2012 9:46 AM

I doubt Brady is going to “suck” in this next game.

May not light up the Gints for 45 points, but they’re not going to hold him to 14 either.

6. jetsfaninmiami says: Jan 27, 2012 9:50 AM

Giants win super bowl 20-13. Go, Blue.

7. broncosaddict says: Jan 27, 2012 9:51 AM

“Translation: Please don’t ask me about that promise again.”

I would disagree. To me he’s saying I wish Mr Kraft would not share their private conversations with others.

8. ironworker329 says: Jan 27, 2012 9:55 AM

Who cares what he promises? Play the game and we’ll see what happens.

9. sj39 says: Jan 27, 2012 9:55 AM

This is probably Brady’s last shot at a Lombardi trophy without an asterik engraved on it. At 35 his best years are behind him.

10. ironworker329 says: Jan 27, 2012 9:57 AM

He promised his mom he’d eat his vegetables before feeding them to the dog too. Lol!

11. eaglesnoles05 says: Jan 27, 2012 9:58 AM

Yeah, Tom Brady, superstar QB married to superstar model…your life is REAL private.

Comes with the territory, sorry. You did answer the question well though, saying “i’m always trying to play better,” making it no big deal. The crotchety “I always have private convo’s with kraft. they’re supposed to be private. i guess they’re not” quip is weak and passive aggressive. Leave that for your wife! lol

12. seanmmartin says: Jan 27, 2012 10:01 AM

Brady hit 61% of his passes against Baltimore last week.

The majority of his recent playoff interceptions (BAL 09, NYJ 10, BAL 11) have come off tipped passes. I credit that to aggressive defense.

If the NYG can play physical defense, then Brady will be in trouble.

This coming from a Pats fan.

But as cliche as it sounds, I’m hoping the number of weapons we have on offense–BJGE, AHern, Gronk, Welker, Branch, Woodhead–will negate the passrush. I mean DEN and BAL were supposed to have legitimate pass rush defenses; Brady hasn’t been sacked that often in the playoffs this year.

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 27, 2012 10:04 AM

sj39 says:
    Jan 27, 2012 9:55 AM

——–
    Most truthful comment ever about Brady and NE.

14. mgscott says: Jan 27, 2012 10:07 AM

Giants win by 14

15. 3octaveFart says: Jan 27, 2012 10:13 AM

Don’t worry Tommy.
    Goodell has already promised Kraft that this game is “in the bag.”
    /wink

16. tiffpats4eva says: Jan 27, 2012 10:14 AM

jetsfaninmiami says:
    Jan 27, 2012 9:50 AM
    Giants win super bowl 20-13. Go, Blue.
    **************

But, how will the Jets do in the Super Bowl?

17. gcsuk says: Jan 27, 2012 10:39 AM

touchdownroddywhite says: Jan 27, 2012 9:36 AM

———————————————————————-

I don’t think either team has more “desire” to win than the other. Both teams want to win equally. The Patriots revenge motive? More than half of those players weren’t even on the team in ’07. Likewise, the Giants players that weren’t there for the last SB have just as much desire to win as anyone on the Patriots.

This game will be decided by who plays better that day, not who has more desire.

18. jbcommonsense says: Jan 27, 2012 10:40 AM

This game will have alot of pressure on Brady, esp. compared to the 2007 Super Bowl. Back then he was a younger man already on the verge of taking his undefeated team to yet another Super Bowl. This game may be an aging Brady’s last chance to set his mark as a historic performer and winner of multiple Super Bowls. Montana, Bradshaw,… Brady?

19. homelanddefense says: Jan 27, 2012 10:42 AM

broncosaddict says: Jan 27, 2012 9:51 AM

“Translation: Please don’t ask me about that promise again.”

__________________________________

It (the comment) was televised on NFL films, they had players miked up for the game.

20. portnoychunk says: Jan 27, 2012 10:47 AM

broncosaddict says: Jan 27, 2012 9:51 AM

“Translation: Please don’t ask me about that promise again.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think it’s more a shot at the media, as I believe the conversation took place either on the field or in the locker room and somebody likely overheard it and reported it. I don’t think Tom will be making snide comments about Bob Kraft after all he’s been through the past year.

21. jaxx377 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:01 AM

I agree that a private conversation should remain private, but you gotta help out a little and not conduct your private conversation in front of a bunch of microphones and T.V. cameras.

22. elimanningbobblehead says: Jan 27, 2012 11:12 AM

I was wondering if I was the only person watching the Pats game against the Ravens that thought Brady was “lolly popping” the ball to his receivers all day. what has always impressed me about him is the “ball on a string” he normally throws. I am thinking there is an undisclosed injury to his throwing shoulder we are not hearing about. But hey, if there is better for the Giants.. GO BIG BLUE !!

23. nfl1818 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:24 AM

The comment to Kraft – near the podium after Sunday’s game – was picked up by networks – it was not a “private conversation”

24. deathmonkey41 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:27 AM

The only promise to Kraft that matters is the one Goodall gave to him saying that he would influence officials to give the Patriots every benefit of the doubt, protect Tom Brady above all over QBs, and destroy evidence of scandal whenever possible- no matter how blatant the favortism might appear.

25. deepbacksidedig says: Jan 27, 2012 11:30 AM

Brady played the last one on a bad ankle, different LB’s, generally stronger D. Mr gap tooth, unavailable.
    (Thankfully)

physicality, pats under-rated, or G men over-rated?

Giants D:
    OPP PASSING YDS 29th 255.1
    OPP RUSHING YDS 19th 121.3

Giants hot? Eli is hot?
    Eli off a game completed 50%,
    Brady on his worst day, 61%.

Pats give up one sack in AFCCG, vs 3rd best rush
    Giants give up 7 (and 20 QB hits) vs 7th best

3 games Giants DL have accumulated 9 sacks
    2 games, Pats have 8

Giants D 6-7 players 230lbs or under,
    Pats 5 300+ lb lineman, 500lbs of TE.

Giants best be ready for a fistfight.
    pats O-line is stronger than it has been in years,
    Pats, under-rated run game.
    They have not used it, but if the Gmen drop 7,
    BJGE, Ridley, Hernandez could run a lot.

26. 3octaveFart says: Jan 27, 2012 11:31 AM

Don’t worry Tommy.
    Goodell has already promised Kraft that this game is “in the bag.”
    /wink

27. nfl1818 says: Jan 27, 2012 12:14 PM

is the pats o line better than recent years ? I see it about the same. curious what your thots are

28. jonze1 says: Jan 27, 2012 12:16 PM

The patriots are going to loose and brady is going to have a long long day. The patriots only played 2 teams with winning records during the season, Pitt and the Giants both were losses. 3 out of the last 4 games the patriots played they were average at best, Miami, Buffalo, and the Ravens. (they beat the broncos badly but big deal they already destroyed that 8-8 team during the regular season.) although statistically Brady had an amazing year throwing for over 5000 yards, so did Brees, Staford, and Eli (almost 73 yards short of 5000) my point is that due to the lockout most defenses were at a disadvantage through out the season. think about how can 2 people break a 27 year old record in the same season and 2 more within a 100 yards? how can two tight ends break a 20 year old record both in the same season? Brady is not as good as he has been in previous years. furthermore, the most dangerous aspect of the patriots game is the yards after the catch, all the giants have to do is tackle. same as Pitt, Dallas, and the Ravens.

29. jackntorres says: Jan 27, 2012 12:21 PM

There is no bigger statue in the pocket. He won’t be any better next week.

30. pats4everyall says: Jan 27, 2012 1:25 PM

deathmonkey41 says:
    Jan 27, 2012 11:27 AM
    ————————————————————–
    And jealousy raises it’s ugly head again this cheating crap is over blown by you jealous fans of other teams! You will have to come up with something else after we win our 4th SB trophy! Go pats!

31. deathmonkey41 says: Jan 27, 2012 3:09 PM

pats4everyall says:
    Jan 27, 2012 1:25 PM

And if you don’t then maybe you can find some obscure tuck rule to make it all better.

32. TheWizard says: Jan 27, 2012 5:04 PM

an opponent that he struggled against in Week 9

Brady had that game won.

His defense couldn’t slow Eli down for one final minute, maybe Tom should have played corner.