Cam Cameron, Dean Pees will be Ravens’ coordinators

Ball State Kent State Football AP

Ravens head coach John Harbaugh has announced that Cam Cameron will remain the team’s offensive coordinator, while Dean Pees has been promoted to defensive coordinator, replacing new Colts head coach Chuck Pagano.

Although there was much talk that Cameron might be on the way out, Harbaugh said that was never even close to happening.

“Cam has been our offensive coordinator and will continue to be our offensive coordinator,” Harbaugh said. “It was a foregone conclusion to me. . . . It was a good year.”

Pees, who has been the Ravens’ linebackers coach the last two years, said he’s excited about the opportunity — his second opportunity to be a coordinator, having previously coordinated the Patriots’ defense from 2006 to 2009.

“It’s an incredible opportunity to be a defensive coordinator for anybody in this league,” Pees said. “But it’s especially humbling to be one for Ravens. . . . The tradition of this defense will continue, and it will flourish and it will get even better.”

Harbaugh said he didn’t need to conduct a long search for a new defensive coordinator because he liked what the Ravens already had on the staff.

However, Harbaugh did leave open the possibility that he’ll hire a quarterbacks coach. So while Harbaugh labeled it “a good year” for the Ravens’ offense, he seems to realize that Joe Flacco could stand to get better.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Cam Cameron, Dean Pees will be Ravens’ coordinators”
  1. BTC says: Jan 27, 2012 11:29 AM

The rest of the AFC is probably actually thrilled Cam Cameron is staying…

2. southpaw2k says: Jan 27, 2012 11:31 AM

I think Pees will do really well running the defense, but boy do I wish Cameron was replaced.

3. justafanofitall says: Jan 27, 2012 11:31 AM

Good year….had a hard time putting up points. If it wasn’t for the defense holding them in a lot of games they would never had made the playoffs.

4. opbilly says: Jan 27, 2012 11:32 AM

every team in the league will be happy to hear this. they only have to game plan for the 6-8 plays that he calls. harbaugh can’t make decisions so this was easy for him to keep the status quo. our quest for mediocrity begins anew

5. yyyass says: Jan 27, 2012 11:36 AM

At best the Ravens are destined to hang around the periphery of greatness, never quite making it to the top, because the Offense and the Head Coach have been riding the tails of a stalwart Defense. Once the Defense ages out and slips they’ll have nothing. The Offense is one dimensional. The QB is immature and overrated. Special teams are awful, and Harbaugh’s game management is terrible. They are at best Buffalo Bills lite with these guys running the show.

The Football Gods lined EVERYTHING up for them this year and they blew it; Injury riddled Steelers, Rookie QB in Cincy. Cleveland was not swallowed up by and earthquake. Houston loses TWO QBs a RB and their best receiver. They got the Colts w/o Manning. NFC West. 49ers at home on three days rest AND travel. NE brings the worst D in the AFC AND Brady has his worst game – and the Ravens still lose on offensive, ST, and game management errors. Next year Kharma is going to be a BEECH.

6. youguysaretotalnerds says: Jan 27, 2012 11:37 AM

Like I’ve been saying, Cam Cameron is a good offensive coordinator. We’re not built for a sexy name spread offense coordinator. We’re a different team than the Packers and the Saints, so expecting gaudy numbers is just unrealistic.

Welcome back, if you can put up with Baltimore fan’s griping, you’re one tough cookie. I like that. Plus, there wasn’t anybody better than you out there….but, you know, welcome back still.

7. tunescribe says: Jan 27, 2012 11:38 AM

Expect the Ravens defense to be less aggressive going forward. Caution is Pees’ M.O.

8. raidermot says: Jan 27, 2012 11:38 AM

Dean Pees When He Drinks Beer.

(sorry)

9. ravensfan4life52 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:39 AM

Love Pees being promoted but I would have loved it even more if we would’ve brought in Hue to be OC.

10. napoleonblownapart6887 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:40 AM

Pees will do a fine job I’m sure. With that personell and Stabby making sure everyone stays in line, I would be surprised if the unit missed a beat.

But as a Steelers fan I am ecstatic about Cam coming back – looking forward to seeing a whole lot of route combinations that don’t make sense and no where near as much of a top 3 running back in the league. This has gotta have Ravens fans scratching their heads.

11. painkiller20 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:40 AM

Harbaugh needs to go to as far as I’m concerned. The guy is delusional.

12. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Jan 27, 2012 11:41 AM

Pees did a good job as DC in NE, hopefully some of Pagano’s aggressive style will be maintained.

13. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jan 27, 2012 11:42 AM

Umm Cam Cameron had a good year? He must have some blackmail pictures of John.

14. russel5 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:43 AM

Cameron’s offense rankings since 2008 18th,13rd,22nd,15th. The rest of the AFC must be jumping for joy.

15. 1captain1 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:44 AM

He said Pees..

Huh Huh huh

16. daryllh says: Jan 27, 2012 11:46 AM

nice. a year’s worth of peeing puns for headlines.

‘Ravens Pee on Bengals in shutout win’

‘Pee’s ‘golden shower’ defense forces 3 turnovers’

need more…let’s hear em.

17. knowerofallthings says: Jan 27, 2012 11:46 AM

Cue the internet crybabies. This is a good move for the Ravens and they’ll be damn tough for years.

18. tritan306 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:48 AM

John is really putting his neck out there for this guy.. he better hope it doesn’t get chopped off with Cams.

19. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:52 AM

Pees did a good job with the Pats so he should do a good job with the personnel the Ravens have.

What do you mean QB coach ? I would’ve thought they would hire a QB “consultant”.

20. rockthered1286 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:53 AM

I’m much more comfortable this year with Cam staying than I was after last season. Take into consideration the supporting cast this year: Torrey Smith (rookie) Dickson and Pitta (2nd year guys & first year for ED as a starter) Evans & Leach (1st year in new system) and a makeshift o-line missing grubbs for several weeks. The O is young and towards the end of the year started to mesh big time. Best part? Cam’s a pass happy guy and with 2 young TE’s, Torrey coming along quickly and the potential to add more firepower, this can be a sick O next year. IF he stops overthinking.

D side…I like Pees, but he never did anything with NE to make me think he can match Chucky P’s D this past year. I would have preferred Clarence Brooks but ‘In Oz We Trust.’

21. bshuclassof2012 says: Jan 27, 2012 11:59 AM

I want to see if it’s a one year deal with Cameron or a multi-year deal. I think Flacco will have a better season next year. There were a lot of drops in the second half of the season (one really big one comes to mind even though it was a good play by the defender as well) and you can’t blame Cameron for that. Let’s see if there is any value to an uninterrupted offseason. I would also let Flacco play out the last year of his contract. It’s show-me time in Baltimore. As a Ravens fan, I am sick of settling for second best despite our consistency in making the playoffs. They have a lot to prove in 2012. Better get started.

22. ravensfan4life52 says: Jan 27, 2012 12:05 PM

23. golonger says: Jan 27, 2012 12:11 PM

Harbaugh has made a terrible decision. The real reason Cameron is staying is because Cameron and Harbaugh go way back….Cameron hired him in college. But, this will be the downfall of Harbaugh……Ravens will have a new head coach in 2 years! Harbaugh is a nit wit!

24. eddiemeredith says: Jan 27, 2012 12:18 PM

Literally the only thing i’ve ever had against John Harbaugh is the fact that he doesnt realize Cam Cameron is not the right co-ordinator for them.

25. londonfletcher says: Jan 27, 2012 12:20 PM

I’m not even a Ravens fan, and I wanted Cam out. His playcalling is too obvious. Too easy to cover. Something needs to change, if Cam is staying..

26. djamesbart says: Jan 27, 2012 12:22 PM

Lose the very good coordinator!
    Keep the mediocre coordinator!

The coaching situation has been Cundiffed.

27. vincentbojackson says: Jan 27, 2012 12:30 PM

Cam Cameron took Anquan Boldin from pro bowl caliber player to the side of a milk carton.

Also forgot he had one of the best backs in the league for about half the season.

Nice work!

28. vaphinfan says: Jan 27, 2012 12:46 PM

Maybe its Flacco or maybe its Cam Cameron but either way when your running back is your leading receiver you probably have some problems.

29. theravens1 says: Jan 27, 2012 12:46 PM

Its obvious that they aren’t listening to the fans and the majority of people that watch EVERY single game.

The play calling is predictable. The calls that should have been made by the offensive coordinator should have won the last game!

30. jsalis13 says: Jan 27, 2012 12:53 PM

If cam runs the type of offense he did from the second quarter on vs NE then I’m ok with this, but I just don’t think he will. We’ll be back to 2 WR sets running 15 yard routes while the line can’t protect and Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta show us all exactly how to fail at throwing a chip block

31. rarson says: Jan 27, 2012 1:07 PM

Time to fire Harbaugh. I’m serious. This offense has dabbled in mediocrity the entire time he’s been here. I’m not going to watch the games anymore with Cam as OC.

32. jsalis13 says: Jan 27, 2012 1:22 PM

rarson says:
    Jan 27, 2012 1:07 PM

________________________________________

Ozzie Newman makes these decisions not Harbough, and the Ravens offense has been bad-mediocre for roughly its entire existence. So at least under Harbough its been in the mediocre bracket.

33. reed20fence says: Jan 27, 2012 1:30 PM

BUT BUT BUT the only reason we make the playoffs every year is because of Cam! If you take him out of the equation we’d stink!

NOT!

Harbaugh is the most risk averse Head Coach in the business. Both playcalling wise as well as personnel decisions wise.

But some will say it’s not Harb’s fault. When the offense experimented with opening up the passing game it was turn over central and the defense, Sugar Ray included, started complaining about the unneccesary risks.

Brian Billick went on local radio and said as long as Ray Ray and Eddie Reed are playing, it’s going to be a defense dominated AFC North team. The only role for the offense is to “run the ball… get up slow… keep that clock moving.”

34. southpaw2k says: Jan 27, 2012 1:32 PM

rarson says:
    Jan 27, 2012 1:07 PM

————————————————-

Okay, I’m not thrilled about Cameron coming back either, but this line of thinking is preposterous. Fire Harbaugh? Are you out of your bleeping mind? Four years as head coach, and the Ravens made the playoffs every season(including a division title and two appearences in the AFC Championship game), and you want him FIRED? Thank God you’re not the GM, otherwise a head coach would be terrified over what your expectations are.

35. rarson says: Jan 27, 2012 1:36 PM

“I love Harbaugh but if he doesn’t wake up and fire Cam before too long then it’ll be time for John to go too.”

I said this last year. Only thing that kept me interested was the possibility of him finally being fired at the end of the season. I CANNOT STAND how Harbaugh will talk Cam up after games even though Cam is the biggest problem with our offense.

I can’t take it anymore. I don’t see the point in watching this team struggle with Cam for another year. Obviously Harbaugh doesn’t want to fire him, so I guess Cam will go when John goes.

36. bmorelikeme says: Jan 27, 2012 1:38 PM

@Rarson this offense has dabbled in mediocrity since Vinny Testeverde was throwing bombs to Michael Jackson.

I hate that we brought Cam back. Terrible decision IMO.

Don’t know too much about Pees, but if he brings the heat, I’ll be okay with it.

37. ravenscaps48 says: Jan 27, 2012 1:41 PM

I think if Santonio Holmes or Desean Jackson becomes available, Baltimore would be absolutely stupid not to pick either of them up. All of our receivers run to the same spot and just sit. Let’s get a guy who can run routes and CATCH PASSES

38. igetmyweedfromjeromesimpson says: Jan 27, 2012 1:44 PM

I love how a professional NFL organization is supposed to listen to their fans or other TV watching couch jockey’s for advice on hiring and firing coaches and playcalling abilities. It’s easy to pick apart mistakes and miscues while shoving Doritos in your face…….

39. theravens1 says: Jan 27, 2012 2:08 PM

Watch Pees become a head coach after this year. Everyone that works with Ray Lewis and this defense gets a shot at a head coaching job somewhere.

That said, Pagano did a great job, and I’m glad he got a shot!! Although . . . working for Irsay?!? What was he thinging? {slapping forehead!}

40. charmcityravens says: Jan 27, 2012 2:09 PM

I can summarize my feelings about Cam returning in one word: F***.

The Ravens Front Office just ‘pulled a Cundiff’. Do they not recognize that teams keep poaching our DCs (Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, Pagano), but nobody comes calling for Cam!? There’s a very good reason for that. He’s been a serial zero everywhere he’s coached.

His teams sucked at Indiana U., he was 1-15 as HC of Miami. Best of all he was OC with SD and had guys like L.T., Philip Rivers, Drew Brees & Antonio Gates in their primes. How many SBs did SD win? As someone already pointed out, he’s got arguably the best all-around RB in the NFL and he misused him for the majority of the regular season. There was one game where Rice had something like 6 carries the entire game, and Flacco had 40-some pass attempts. Insanity reigned supreme over at One Winning Drive when they made this decision…

I don’t understand how Cam continues to enjoy job security. I really don’t.

41. southpaw2k says: Jan 27, 2012 2:19 PM

ravenscaps48 says:
    Jan 27, 2012 1:41 PM

————————————————–

Ugh….I sure hope Holmes stays on the Jets. I do not want that cancer plaguing the Ravens’ locker room. Jackson is a different story, but I doubt the Ravens could afford him and still stay under the cap.

42. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jan 27, 2012 2:54 PM

All I am saying is give Pees a chance.

43. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jan 27, 2012 3:00 PM

All we are saying, is give Pees a chance

44. gribb22 says: Jan 27, 2012 3:03 PM

Bringing Cam back is the worst thing to happen to the ravens since they put a game on cundiffs shoulders.. I’m pissed I can’t believe this.. He is one of the worst coaches in the league. I guess they next thing they’ll break the fans hearts with is announcing cundiff is also coming back. They make it painful to watch my favorite team. Im no longer hopeful about next season.

45. sbaltimore says: Jan 27, 2012 3:04 PM

Bringing Cameron back is a huge mistake.

With regard to Pees…it remains to be seen. But he might just end up being Gregg Mattison V.2.

46. ihatetheeffingjets says: Jan 27, 2012 3:19 PM

What am I missing on the Pees thing? Is a guy who doesn’t know what a “blitz” or “QB pressure” looks like the best fit in Baltimore?

47. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jan 27, 2012 3:21 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:

Didn’t see yours there. Sorry. You’re a funny fellow

48. rarson says: Jan 27, 2012 3:33 PM

@jsalis13

“Ozzie Newman makes these decisions not Harbough”

Wrong. Harbaugh hired Cam, not Ozzie. Ozzie hired Harbaugh.

@southpaw2k

“Fire Harbaugh? Are you out of your bleeping mind? Four years as head coach, and the Ravens made the playoffs every season(including a division title and two appearences in the AFC Championship game), and you want him FIRED?”

I realize this, and there’s certainly something to be said about letting coaches do their job, but in my opinion, Harbaugh is putting his personal association with Cam above the team’s needs. I think 4 years of Cam is enough to show that he can’t cut it as OC (no coincidence that he sucked as an HC, either).

He just doesn’t have “it”. He doesn’t know how to call an offense without being totally predictable. It’s amazing that the Ravens went as far as they did with him (and I’d say it’s a testament to the talent of the players). It pains me to hear Harbaugh talk up Cam every time the offense doesn’t completely suck.

I’m aware of the Ravens’ problems with building a good offense. That’s why it’s so hard to watch them spoil a bunch of talent with terrible coaching. I don’t want to watch another year of that.

49. rarson says: Jan 27, 2012 3:36 PM

@gribb22

“Bringing Cam back is the worst thing to happen to the ravens since they put a game on cundiffs shoulders.”

The Ravens have put quite a few games on Cundiff’s shoulders, with good results. He just didn’t make THIS kick. Now, I feel it’s worth pointing out that Cam is part of the reason why the game ended up on Cundiff’s shoulders.

And ultimately, the blame for the loss goes to Harbaugh for not calling a timeout. He should have been all over that.

50. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jan 27, 2012 4:21 PM

1972wasalongtimeago says:
    Jan 27, 2012 3:21 PM
    thankheavenfornumberseven says:

Didn’t see yours there. Sorry. You’re a funny fellow
    ______

Ours showed up at the same time. Of course, it was the third time I tried posting that controversial comment.

51. NgataChance says: Jan 27, 2012 4:38 PM

So, this is not what I would categorize as good news. Malcolm Cameron was out-of-step with what is happening in the NFL offensively in 2011 and going into 2012. That said, any calls for John Harbaugh’s dismissal is borderline retarded. And I mean that in the literal sense of the word. Not having John Harbaugh would retard the progress of a team that has made it to the playoffs every year under his tutelage. They continue to draft well and I think people will be surprised how seamless the transition is for the “aging” defense to a team headlined by Ngata, Cody and Lardarius Webb (don’t sleep). Should Harbaugh have entertained other OC’s? Probably, but given an actual offseason with relatively young offensive playmakers and a public perception that he sucks, as a Ratbirds fan, I’m just going to grin and bear Cam a little longer. Let’s be honest, 12-4 and a well called AFC Championship are hard to argue against. After all, at least it’s not Brad Childress.

52. rajbais says: Jan 28, 2012 7:19 AM

Dean Pees???????

He didn’t do anything in New England!!!!!

Why not Todd Bowles????

53. bebopa says: Jan 28, 2012 8:48 PM

gonna trust Harbaugh as far as the Peas hiring , but i think Cameron should have been let go.