Ochocinco calls time with Patriots a humbling experience

Getty Images

For most of his NFL career, Chad Ochocinco has been one of the best and most famous players on his team. Now he’s heading to his first Super Bowl, but he’s doing it as a largely irrelevant part of the Patriots.

Ochocinco says he’s been humbled by that.

“It’s been a learning experience; that’s what this has been. This had been one of the most humbling experiences I’ve ever been in,” he said Thursday as he prepared for the Feb. 5 game against the New York Giants. “This is one of the first times I’ve been about doing exactly what everyone told me to do. It wasn’t about the numbers. It wasn’t about money. It wasn’t about me.”

It’s a good thing it wasn’t about the numbers, because Ochocinco’s numbers have been nearly nonexistent. In the regular season he had just 15 catches for 276 yards, and he has played a total of one snap in the Patriots’ two playoff games. Ochocinco has prided himself on not being a distraction despite being a disappointment.

“I handled myself with the utmost professionalism,” Ochocinco said. “I busted my [butt] didn’t pout — that’s what I do: ‘Give me the rock!’ But I didn’t do what people thought I would do. Even I thought I was going to do it.”

Ochocinco has been something no one expected him to be before the season: Quiet, both on the field and off.

82 responses to “Ochocinco calls time with Patriots a humbling experience

1. It’s 2012 and finally, a athlete uses the word “humble” correctly. It’s a wonderful day, friends.

It’s been a wild, wild ride.

2. Being quiet is a small price to pay for a Super Bowl ring. One more win ocho, one more win.

I hope he gets a roster spot, I hope he scores a touchdown.

GO PATS

3. There’s a quote I remember from someone in the Steelers organization … the name of the person escapes me … but it was something like …

“Players never learn how to say ‘thank you’ till it’s time to say ‘goodbye’ … “

4. Same old guy. Right after ending with “It wasn’t about me” all he does is talk about himself and how he busted his butt, didn’t pout….Wow, thanks for not pouting Chad!

5. Wow Chad, what a great guy you are! It was so nice of you not torpedo the Patriots for the low fee of $6M. Now go DO something! I stuck up for this kid all year. He better come up big in the SB

6. I follow him on twitter, and the only impression I’ve gotten from him is that he’s a genuinely nice guy. I’ve never seen or heard of him getting into trouble off the field or talking down to people. (I don’t know him as an idividual, that’s just my impression)

I’m fairly certain he’s one & done with the Pats, but I wish him luck and thank him for setting an example of how a professional athlete should act.

7. I hope they de-activate him for the Super Bowl. The dude has been a “me first” loser his entire career.

I remember 1 year they were 0-8 and he scored a td. Ran and hopped up on the TV Camera stand and pretended he was a cameraman…they were 0-8. He comes back to the sideline and Marvin Lewis is smiling and acting like it was so funny. Couple of real losers and I hope Stinko is on the next soon to be repossessed Ferrari to T.O. Land.

8. It goes to show that to some people just how much that ring is worth.

For what I thought he would be like this year, he has been much different. Good for you Chad.

Good Luck with the ring.

9. He can thank teddy bruschi for the great NE welcome i was not even shocked they didnt have him active for the game vs the ravens i mean teddy up in the owners box with mr.kraft sayin (hey chad just stay @ the house big guy we got this. I will say as for i am the man who said reggie bush would be a feature back in the nfl (cry haters) ochocinco will be on the jets next year in the slot or on the outside . And when he plays the pats next year he gonna tweet PAYBACK!!! Its simple when he tweeted he was glad to have seen in person tom throwing for 500 or something yds vs miami & teddy spoke on it on espn he was out the door & too be honest Bill knows what your tryin to say with (in person) which means not on the field so bill made him the jr rider of this titlerun if the pats win.

10. Carson Palmer used to have to draw Ochos route for him on his hand with his finger in each huddle. Brady has a 632 page playbook and wont do it. Hence Ocho is irrelevent now.

11. He apparently is not running his routes properly and Brady is quickly going to his other options when he is not where Brady expects him to be. Ocho has enough sense not to blame his quarterback on the Patriots. If he had put up these numbers in San Francisco he would have been screaming about Alex Smith’s incompetence. They put up with his crap in Cincinnati for far too long.

12. Humility is an important trait to learn. No matter when. Unfortunately Karma is a —–. I would laugh myself silly if he drops the winning TD and starts yelling at Brady for the location of the throw.

13. I’ve got to say I’m surprised that 85 has been with the team the whole year after his lack of productivity. I certainly thought he would end getting booted after having a sideline meltdown or pointing fingers when he wasn’t getting his touches, but it looks like he is actually taking accountability for his lack of production. I’m don’t think he should be commended for that, as it is what a PROFESSIONAL should be expected to do. I guess what I’m saying is T.O., he ain’t, and that’s a bit shocking to me.

14. Wow Chad, what a great guy you are! It was so nice of you not torpedo the Patriots for the low fee of $6M. Now go DO something! I stuck up for this kid all year. He better come up big in the SB
    —————–

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Chad won’t touch the field next Sunday.

15. The reason he wasn’t active against the Ravens was because he was at his father’s funeral either the day before or two days before. I think He’ll make an appearance in the Superbowl. I don’t think he’ll be a 6 catches, 150 yards and 2 TD contributor, because he’s clearly the 4 or 5 option at best in that system, but maybe he’ll pull off a David Tyree type of catch.

I bet that horrible deep pass in the end zone that Brady threw to Slater would have looked quite a bit better if he was throwing it to #85. The play was probably made with him in mind.

16. People can bag on him all they want for his antics, but I’ve always been pretty impressed with him as an individual and it’s refreshing to hear a pro athlete eating a little humble pie. I hope he plays again next year and gets more looks than this year because I think he can still have an impact.

Just lay off the reality show crap!!!

17. A fan tweeted Ochocinco yesterday saying after all his past probowls and honors it’s time to bring home a ring. Ochocinco’s response was that this season has negated all his previous accomplishments.

The man actually is humble. I’m just sayin’.

18. jrfrom508 says:
    Jan 27, 2012 6:45 AM

I hope he gets a roster spot, I hope he scores a touchdown.

GO PATS

————

SMH

19. hillzmickelzon

I had a hard time comprehending your post but I think it was something about Chad OchoCino and his time with the Patriots I know you put Tedy Bruschi in there and there was mention of Bill Belichick a few time but it was still tough following your train of thought because it seemed like nothing more than one big run on setence there is a key labeled tab that will all you to do things like start new paragraphs and put a little bit of comfortable spacing in your posts.

20. i hope he plays the entire game vs the giants.
    that way we know we dont need to cover someone LOL

Victor Cruz = the king of the td celebration now, Chad.
    though i find him quite entertaining on twitter as i live down the block from him 🙂

21. jagsfan1 says: Jan 27, 2012 6:55 AM

——————————————————
    Being a Jags fan, it’s probably fairly easy for you to spot losers.

22. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Jan 27, 2012 7:52 AM
    All these foolhardy comments, yet people claim Giants players and fans are bragging. Amazing.
    ———-

Get over it,

You’re on a Patriots thread what do you expect there fans to say, go I a Giants thread and there fans are doing or talking the same way.

Its what they are supposed to be doing.

23. hillzmickelzon says: Jan 27, 2012 7:01 AM

____________________________________

I guess you ddint hear his father died….It had nothing to do with Tedy “keep your mouth shut” Bruschi

24. His father died right before the game, he was at the funeral a day before.

Don’t read into not playing against the Ravens too much. Some things are more important than football.

25. hillzmickelzon says: Jan 27, 2012 7:01 AM

——————————————————————–

I’m out of breath just trying to READ that post! For the love of God, can you learn how to use punctuation?!?

26. I like the guy and am a tad disappointed that it hasn’t worked out in NE. I think he could have been a good contributor. But the guy didn’t get a chance to play. You’re in there for a couple plays, get a catch, and then yanked for the afternoon…kind of makes it tough to contribute or put up any type of numbers.

He knows he’s on a team with a QB that is relentless in his preparation. 85 is smart not to make a fuss because he realizes that the Pats will always be Brady’s team first.

He’s stuck around because he’s been a good teammate and BB genuinely likes the guy.

27. Attaboy Chad. Way to comport yourself like every other 5th wide receiver in the league, while getting paid like a #1 or 2…

28. I’m going to give him some credit. I didn’t think he was capable of keeping his mouth shut… especially with such few touches.
    He’s been professional and has had a good attitude this year.
    His reward could just be a super bowl ring.

29. I like Chad, and I have for a while. I have his Bengals jerseys before he changed his name. I will wear his Bengals jersey February 5th (the day before my birthday). I am rooting for him. Wouldn’t it be a crazy thing if he was the MVP?

30. I love Pats fans! One post they are declaring that Belichick will “destroy” Coughlin because Bill is so “brilliant”. They seem to forget the two men worked together and both came up in the Giants organization. Next post, they claim Ochonoshow will shred the Giants secondary after being a non-factor all season long. Here’s a hint – Belichick is a great coach. Bill will always have a home at Giants Stadium. No way in hell is he – nor Brady -going to gamble the Lombardi on this deadbeat. IF NE wins, and I’m willing to admit that any Brady led team has a chance, it will NOT be because of this clown. If you cannot make an impression as WR with Tom Brady throwing you the ball, your career is D-O-N-E.

31. I really can’t think of a more likable bust in Boston sports history than 85. I saw with my own two eyes that he was staying late after every training camp session to try and get the offense down with Brady. I know he was trying, and I appreciate that he kept his composure and didn’t do anything stupid.

But it BLOWS MY MIND that a guy like Tiquan Underwood (who completely sucks) could join the team mid season and still have an infinitely better grasp of the offense than a guy who was getting 1st team reps on day 1.

32. Amazing all these fans of other teams that have no idea about what they are talking about.

Chad will be on the Super Bowl roster on game day. He was inactive LW because he missed a few days of practice to attend the funeral of his father. He may not have the production that was expected but he has been nothing but a good team mate and soldier.

Watch Chad catch the game winning pass next Sunday.

hillmickzen??? Where you drinking moonshine while posting? Better question, did you drop out of grade school?

33. I don’t know why so many people hate this guy. He has been entertaining and has never once gotten into any real trouble. I for one am hoping he gets the start and contributes in the Superbowl.

34. The 85 haters seem to be out in force – and while the Patriots expected much more from him for $6 million, I’d still rather have him on the roster rather than a cancer like Santonio Holmes, regardless of how many more passes he caught.

35. I don’t understand the fuss. The Pats are being foolish. I’m willing to sit on the bench, do what I’m told, not learn routes, and be a good teammate, and all for only $5.5MM, which would save them $500,000 to upgrade their video equipment.

36. I bet that horrible deep pass in the end zone that Brady threw to Slater would have looked quite a bit better if he was throwing it to #85.

Sure would have looked different, Chad would been on the 12 yard line at the time.

37. catman72 says:
    Jan 27, 2012 7:54 AM
    What’s the value of a ring if you didn’t do anything to earn it?
    ———————–
    “This is one of the first times I’ve been about doing exactly what everyone told me to do.”
    “I busted my [butt] didn’t pout.”
    Pretty much what most of the people here do every day at their jobs and homes, only we don’t get awards or 6M per year. I hope he never gets into the HOF except by purchasing admission.

38. Bottom line is we as fans are hard working people who dont get special treatment in our every day lives. i think thats what gets people frustrated with athletes that like TO and at times Chad J. life makes you humble if your an average person like most fans. its nice to see this guy get a taste of it and because he admits it and has been quite , we now cheer for the guy. thats one reason we in seattle love marshawn lynch , such a humble guy and pays a hard price each time he runs because he lays it on the line for his team,his city and himself but never takes any credit. you better sign this guy john and pete!!

39. So why couldn’t he EVER display this type of professionalism in Cincinnati?

I guess it was Cincinnati’s fault he was a self centered prima donna.

If he had acted this way in Cincinnati he might have had a shot @ Canton like he erroneously predicted with that stupid HOF Jacket stunt he pulled years ago.

40. Did farve miss a game when his father died? If the pats gave a dam about ocho who i played agianst in college by the way sorry you couch potatoes but this is real football knowledge speakin i dont wanna hear how the pats O is so serious 7 chad is too dumb?? to understand it really?? They dont need him isnt hernandez really a wr or for that matter & h back so run two tight a bunch why change whats workin? am pats wake up man u must not watch football u must be watchin toddlers & tiaras thinkin chad is catching the winning td? How? When he played one snap vs denver? I was hoping that since ochocincos dad died maybe the pats or bill would give him more than one play or maybe he could clean off the sweat from tom bradys brow lol i mean 3 plays? But what do the pats do? INACTIVE and let us think chad cant read the playbook & julian edelman knows two playbooks? Bill obrien couldnt get along with randy moss so some of you here thought he would get along with ocho? Next season 85 on the jets # PAYBACK

41. I love you, Chad! I hope you get a Superbowl TD. You deserve it!! You’re one of the best wide receivers ever!

42. I hope he somehow becomes the difference maker in the big game. Maybe 150 yards, 12 catches, 3 TDs, something like that, because I have a feeling Gronk will be mostly blocking or used as a decoy. They need to inject some super-steroid in his ankle which will give him his full mobility for the duration of the game. Then, he can properly rehab it in the offseason. Without Gronk running routes and being the big-time playmaker that he’s been all year, Brady will need to play better than any other SuperBowl QB in history to win this game.

43. All I can say is – how much better would he be if he took the time he spends on Twitter, reality shows, video games etc. and applied it to learning the playbook?

44. hillzmickelzon says: Jan 27, 2012 9:57 AM

This here people is a prime example of how college athletes get by in school without actually having to do the school part. Seriously dude, learn how to speak without sounding like a 3rd grader with down syndrome. Did you get 1 too many concussions while playing against Chad in college? Can we send your brain to get studied in Boston with the rest of the old time football players? I bet the results would be fascinating, with all that brain decay and all.

45. I never understood why they went on with this idiocy? Was it for jersey sales? Was it “teach a showboat a lesson about team work?”

Belichick always has an effective strategy and he utilizes every member in a role – I never understood this.

Oh well.

46. j0esixpack says:
    Jan 27, 2012 9:06 AM

==================

Do you really think Santonio Holmes would act that way around Tom Brady? He’d keep his mouth shut, ball and probably stay out of trouble. Sanchez plays like an idiot and Holmes got sick of it.

He shouldn’t have done the things he did, but frustration does that – like Brady yelling at Bill O’Brien, when he doesn’t really need to – just take the play, and move on.

47. jagsfan1 says: Jan 27, 2012 6:55 AM

I know it’s considered impolite to celebrate too much after a score when you’re down a lot of points, but now you can’t celebrate a score when your team has a losing record? Or is it you can celebrate, but not do the over-the-top celebrations? I’m not up on these unwritten rules you just created on the spot, man.

48. I’d say its 50/50 he even dresses for the next game.

That said, Ocho was one of only about 10 Patriots that never missed a practice all season. Most important, he never uttered a word about having just 15 catches all season and in no way has he been a distraction, as soooo many insisted he would be under circumstances like this.

49. It’s sad that it’s such a “classy” move for a guy like this just to keep his mouth shut. He’s been a 6MM bust, and it wouldn’t surprise me ONE BIT if he does something stupid next week before the game, with the media following him around, and Bill deactivates him for the Super Bowl.

That being said, I hope he stays low key and gets in the game. It would be sweet to see him catch a couple balls. I don’t know why… even though I am slightly horrified by the vision of him dropping a critical 1st down pass next week… I’m still rooting for him.

50. I have this nutty feeling that the Evil Hoodie has planned this all along and that Chad Johnson will play big minutes and make an impact in the Super Bowl. Or I’ll simply say it won’t surprise me if that happens because it has indeed been stunning how unproductive he’s been. He definitely wasn’t faking those drops.

51. I PERSONALLY LIKE MR. JOHNSON AND HIS STATUS AS ONE OF THE BEST RECIEVERS IN NFL HISTORY IS UNDENIABLE BECAUSE HE USED TO BURN MY CORNER CHAMP BAILEY ALL THE TIME EXCEPT THAT ONE TIME WHEN CHAMP GOT THE BETTER OF HIM AND HAD A PICK AND A FUMBLE RECOVERY ON MR. JOHNSON IN THAT GAME IN DENVER AND I PREDICTED THAT IT WOULD GO THAT WAY ON THAT DAY LOL!!!! IT WAS TIME FOR MR. BAILEY TO PAY HIM BACK AND BOY DID HE LOL, AND I KNOW OCHO CINCO WILL BE IN THE HALL OF FAME AND SO WILL CHAMP BAILEY BUT I DO BELIEVE THAT NEITHER ONE WILL GET A RING BECAUSE THE TEAMS THEY PLAYED FOR WHEN THEY WERE AT THE HEIGHT OF THEIR CAREER’S BLEW IT FOR THEM ! ALTHOUGH; COC WILL BE IN THE SUPERBOWL WITH THE PATS ,REMEMBER JR. SEAU AND THE PAT’S WERE UNDEFEATED UNTIL ELI STOLE THEIR THUNDER DAJAVUE ( GO GIANTS)!!!