Lions fan admits making Superdome bomb threat

Wild Card Playoffs - Detroit Lions v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

A Lions fan who apparently thought he could stop his favorite team’s playoff loss to the Saints has admitted that he called the Superdome during the game and made a bomb threat.

The fan, 34-year-old Shawn Payton of Jackson, Michigan, called the Superdome during the game and asked the receptionist to pass along a threat to his namesake, Saints coach Sean Payton.

I will blow up your building,” Shawn Payton said in his first call, according to an FBI affidavit filed in federal court Wednesday and obtained by the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

When that failed to get the game halted and the Saints built up their lead, he called a second time and asked for the Saints’ coach to be given his message.

“Hi, I want you to relay a message to the sideline. If your stupid Southern team keeps winning, there will be reper…severe consequences. OK?” Shawn Payton said in the second call, which law enforcement personnel recorded after being alerted to the first call.

In an interview with the Times-Picayune, Shawn Payton admitted making the calls.

“I’m scared,” he said. “I hope they realize that I didn’t mean it and that I’m taking steps to get counseling. . . . I don’t drink, and I don’t do drugs. From time to time, I do get frustrated and go off without meaning it. . . . I let some words fly out of my mouth, and I sincerely apologize. I will never ever, ever, ever do anything like that again.”

Shawn Payton is expected to appear in federal court on Monday.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
77 Responses to “Lions fan admits making Superdome bomb threat”
  1. Alohamrhand says: Jan 28, 2012 1:56 PM

Wow why would be want to blow up his own team?

2. tallguyme says: Jan 28, 2012 1:57 PM

enjoy prison!

3. jaggedmark says: Jan 28, 2012 1:57 PM

When the Lion fan gets to prison, he’ll learn he’s not King of the Jungle.

4. jjrs89 says: Jan 28, 2012 1:59 PM

So the saints coach called in the bomb threat?

5. bspn2 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:00 PM

What the hell is wrong with some people?

6. thraiderskin says: Jan 28, 2012 2:00 PM

Peace out homie, see you after your stint in prison.

7. jumpinjoebuck says: Jan 28, 2012 2:01 PM

Is it more than a little weird the guy is named “Shawn Payton”?

8. redguy12588 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:02 PM

A guy named Shawn Payton made a bomb threat against a team led by Sean Payton. I love the irony.

9. My Last Victim Escaped says: Jan 28, 2012 2:02 PM

Shawn Payton (lol) hope you realize… that SH-T JUST GOT REAL. They should do the same that made death threats to Kyle Williams.

10. huskersrock1 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:02 PM

I’m sorry, please don’t put me in jail.

Yea that is going to work.

11. backindasaddle says: Jan 28, 2012 2:02 PM

It’s just a game bro.

12. purpleguy says: Jan 28, 2012 2:03 PM

Someone should hook him up with that cheeser chick who believes the Pack lost to the Giants because she wore her sparkly nail polish.

13. realitypolice says: Jan 28, 2012 2:05 PM

Shawn Payton.

Really? Not even a mention or perhaps a weak pun about him being named um…. Shawn Payton?

I know this is a serious issue, but……HE HAS THE SAME FREAKIN NAME AS THE COACH OF THE SAINTS!

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

14. joetoronto says: Jan 28, 2012 2:05 PM

***************************************************
    At least if you were drunk or high you’d have somewhat of an excuse.

Nope, you’re just as dumb as they come.

15. nocookies28 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:05 PM

Shawn Payton threatening to blow up Sean Peyton…you can’t make this stuff up.

16. showerswithsandusky says: Jan 28, 2012 2:07 PM

Rhythmic slapping for Shawn Payton

17. thejuddstir says: Jan 28, 2012 2:07 PM

How come Rex Ryan isn’t in prison, no one makes more promises and threats than him!!!

18. atlien698 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:07 PM

Getting frustrated and not meaning it is when you yell at the TV or your wife when your team is losing. Being crazy is looking up the number to the SuperDome and calling — not ONCE, but TWICE to phone in a threat.

And I don’t know if anyone else thought it was funny the dude got hung up on the word: “Repercussions” and made the quick switch to “severe consequences” OK, just me? Nevermind then.

19. chadmurdigan says: Jan 28, 2012 2:09 PM

Some people are so dumb it’s amazing they can even breathe on their own.

20. jaygiants says: Jan 28, 2012 2:09 PM

Stressing that bad that you call in a bomb threat lol

21. 49erstim says: Jan 28, 2012 2:11 PM

Some peoples kids! This guy thinks that begging is gonna get him off the hook? Give me a break! People like this guy give us legitimate/sane fans a bad name. Its a GAME dummy!

22. illinininer says: Jan 28, 2012 2:12 PM

Is this at all related to the Saints’ offensive explosion in the second half?

23. ninerboi says: Jan 28, 2012 2:14 PM

As a Niners fan, I thought our fans were stupid and pathetic to threaten Williams…leave it up to lions fans to out do us. They threaten the whole opposing team, their OWN team…and thousands of innocent people.

24. jessethegreat says: Jan 28, 2012 2:14 PM

Congradulations on completely messing up your life.

25. mr510 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:16 PM

Stay cla….never mind….

26. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jan 28, 2012 2:17 PM

Smh. If he’s a true Lions fan why didnt he try this when they were going 0-16?

Then again these are Lions fans. They don’t know any better.

27. fearthebengaltiger says: Jan 28, 2012 2:19 PM

i wonder if he said he had the wrong number?

28. johnnycash19 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:32 PM

ninerboi says: Jan 28, 2012 2:14 PM

————–

Did every Lion fan call in and report a bomb threat? NO. Don’t let one person’s action’s influence your opinions of that teams fan base. All teams have some stupid fans like this, not just the Lions.

29. tatum064 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:36 PM

Drew Brees threw up some real bombs that game…no threat.

30. 3ghostninja says: Jan 28, 2012 2:38 PM

Jackson, MI doesn’t boast the best and brightest of humanity anyway. This doesn’t help at all.

31. cliffordc05 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:40 PM

If ever there was an argument for drinking, this is it.

32. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 28, 2012 2:46 PM

Sounds like a guy who definitely needs to down a few cold ones and relax.

33. realitypolice says: Jan 28, 2012 2:51 PM

See, this is why I don’t trust people that don’t drink or do drugs.

34. hannahsdaddy says: Jan 28, 2012 2:52 PM

He needs to be locked up for a LONG time.

35. jimmysee says: Jan 28, 2012 2:52 PM

“Never mind.”

— Rosanne Rosanadanna

36. bearsstillsuck says: Jan 28, 2012 2:55 PM

I’m going to go ahead and generalize all lions fans because of this guy now.

37. purplengold says: Jan 28, 2012 3:00 PM

you will remember
    your trip to pajama land
    no sharp objects

38. freemantowilliams says: Jan 28, 2012 3:02 PM

Meet your new cell mate “Nasty Nate”.

39. hawkitnow says: Jan 28, 2012 3:15 PM

Stay classy, Lions fans. That’s why you can’t have nice things. Get a taste of the playoffs, and the fans act a fool.

40. riverhorsey says: Jan 28, 2012 3:16 PM

2-1 he called from his home phone over his cell phone.

41. Chairman Al says: Jan 28, 2012 3:17 PM

Call once and you could possibly get a little sympathy with saying you lost your cool or whatever…Wouldn’t have got any from me, but maybe someone.

Call TWICE, and you’re an idiot. And you were scared? How about the receptionist? Tool.

42. prmpft says: Jan 28, 2012 3:17 PM

…probably would have a better argument if he DID drink and do drugs – I’m sure people who fight the war on terror every day will buy his story – if not, maybe his cellmate will…

43. Chairman Al says: Jan 28, 2012 3:17 PM

Who am I kidding? Call ONCE and you’re an idiot.

44. takingbovadasmoney says: Jan 28, 2012 3:18 PM

Wow, just passed Tony Dungy and Ted Nugent as the PRIDE of Jackasson, MI.

45. tdrundmc says: Jan 28, 2012 3:20 PM

Drew Brees threw up some real bombs that game…no threat

What bombs? All I remember seeing is Drew Brees’ dinking and dunking down the field.

46. mykl954 says: Jan 28, 2012 3:22 PM

He’ll look adorable in his pink teddy with his eyebrows plucked as he’s passed back and forth in payment for packs of Marlboros.

47. bcraze says: Jan 28, 2012 3:23 PM

For all the misleading headlines I’ve read on this site, this one couldn’t have simply said, “Shawn Payton Threatens to Blow Up the Superdome”.

48. vmannj says: Jan 28, 2012 3:25 PM

“From time to time, I do get frustrated and go off without meaning it. . . . I let some words fly out of my mouth…” -N. Suh

49. jetfuel6 says: Jan 28, 2012 3:26 PM

Drew Bress should also be arrested for blowing up the loins secondary

50. nflfollower says: Jan 28, 2012 3:30 PM

Ok first off every state and region has crazy people who follow the local NFL team. I think we can all agree on that.

Since we are past the generalizations and nobody was hurt, I think this is actually one of the more humorous stories I have seen on PFT in awhile. Not depressing, because I already knew there are plenty of crazies running wild and free. Just funny.

51. tednancy says: Jan 28, 2012 4:22 PM

Those of you who are wishing this guy the worst in prison, or more explicitly, getting raped in prison, should take heed of good old karma.

Hope none of you have daughters. I’m laughing at your sudden realization of what that means right now.

52. sschmiggles says: Jan 28, 2012 4:32 PM

34? The guy sounds like he’s 7.

53. gcsuk says: Jan 28, 2012 4:36 PM

“I will never ever, ever, ever do anything like that again.”
    ———————————————————-

Certainly won’t. It’s hard to phone in threats from a federal prison.

54. vtopa says: Jan 28, 2012 4:36 PM

I wonder how many Saints fans will be waiting for him in prison…keep yer soap on a rope detroit boy.

55. gcsuk says: Jan 28, 2012 4:38 PM

It wasn’t “Shawn Payton”. It was actually Dave Coulier from “Full House” (check the first PFT link).

I wondered what this guy was up to these days.

56. billh1947 says: Jan 28, 2012 4:38 PM

Gee,what is the going prison term these days for acts of terrorism such as this dummy committed,we will soon find out but I would guess the judge isnt going to show any leniency to a dope who threatens to blow up 65,000 American football fans so his team wont get slaughtered.

57. pack15forever says: Jan 28, 2012 4:48 PM

I’ve got a feeling that Shawn Payton will be blowing something else in prison.

58. gobucs02 says: Jan 28, 2012 5:06 PM

Shawn Payton, Sean Payton. :P

59. purplengold says: Jan 28, 2012 5:15 PM

nocookies28 says:

“Shawn Payton threatening to blow up Sean Peyton…you can’t make this stuff up.”

could he? did Shawn Payton think that Sean Peyton winning was somehow a personal threat to him, and so he tried to control this with violent threats to the general public?

“Danger, Will Robinson!”

60. jpb12 says: Jan 28, 2012 5:18 PM

Is that Joe… in Michigan?

61. easyeddie says: Jan 28, 2012 5:23 PM

hawkitnow says: Jan 28, 2012 3:15 PM
    ———————–

Talk about irrational statements?

62. tackleberries says: Jan 28, 2012 5:37 PM

My money is on the guy starting to drink or do drugs to try and erase the memory of what happened to him in jail.

63. binarybulge says: Jan 28, 2012 6:02 PM

purplengold says:
    Jan 28, 2012 3:00 PM
    you will remember
    your trip to pajama land
    no sharp objects

Uh, I’m assuming you were TRYING to compose a Haiku… It’s 5-7-5, not 5-7-4, dummy.

64. daknight93 says: Jan 28, 2012 6:06 PM

really?….this dummy will learn monday to never give death threats again.

65. gmen1987 says: Jan 28, 2012 6:30 PM

Loser. Probably thought the New Orleans coach ripped off his name.

Thumbs up if you think Lion fan Shawn Payton is a poster here at Pro Football Talk.com.

66. realitypolice says: Jan 28, 2012 7:05 PM

billh1947 says:
    Jan 28, 2012 4:38 PM
    ===================

Actually, this guy will most likely spend little or no time in incarceration.

Assuming this guy has no criminal record, pleads guilty, and takes responsibility via a statement of remorse in open court, this guy won’t spend a day in prison. Jail, maybe, but not prison. If you don’t know the difference, look it up.

The key is the record. If he has priors, all bets are off.

But if he is clean, and he has a decent attorney, he will be able to paint a good picture during sentencing of a guy who has learned his lesson.

Also, I think the fact that law enforcement took very little action suggests that no one actually took the threat seriously and recognized it as a prank- and believe it or not, that also counts as a factor at sentencing.

67. barnesaintnoble says: Jan 28, 2012 7:05 PM

I wish we had a system where instead of going through a trial and going to jail, which costs taxpayer money, this guy is just labeled as a certified “Level 1 Dumbass”. It would be on his license, identification and linked to his SSN. Then, there should be a website, http://www.dumbass.GOV, where there is a SEARCHABLE record of who these people are and what they did.

The internet leaves a permanent record. Let’s use that record to hopefully stop people from doing stupid things at the risk of being labeled a dumbass for the rest of their life. It would save a lot of tax dollars and piss a lot of lawyers off.

*We technically conduct this exact system for sex offenders.

68. detroitcityryda says: Jan 28, 2012 7:11 PM

Hahahah this guy was drunk as f….. Lions fans go hard in the paint like no other belee dat 100

69. nesuperfan says: Jan 28, 2012 7:27 PM

I was just wondering: Anyone know how many Saints’ fans he will meet in prison?

Bubba: “You wanted to blow up MY team?”

70. tothefellowshipofthemiserable says: Jan 28, 2012 7:42 PM

For punishment, they should have Suh stomp on his arm repeatedly !

71. qdog112 says: Jan 28, 2012 7:49 PM

OK, let’s profile this idiot. He’s a white male between 20 and 25. He’s a republican, he’s unemployed, lives with both parents and he’s got a tiny wee wee.

Wherever he goes, the Aryan Nation just got a new member.

72. hedleykow says: Jan 28, 2012 8:18 PM

On occasion, I have wanted to shank myself in the neck for being a Chiefs fan. But never considered doing anything drastic like making a bomb threat. lol

73. normdogg says: Jan 28, 2012 9:16 PM

As a Lions fan who was at the Superdome for the game, all I can say is Wow! Please don’t lump 99.999% of Lions fans in with this assclown!

74. theysone says: Jan 28, 2012 10:43 PM

normdogg says: Jan 28, 2012 9:16 PM

________________________________

Why not? Everyone lumps all niners fans in with the couple assclowns that threatened Kyle Williams on twitter…

75. dmobey says: Jan 29, 2012 12:33 AM

I thought that was Harbaugh

***********************************
    theysone says:
    Jan 28, 2012 10:43 PM
    normdogg says: Jan 28, 2012 9:16 PM

________________________________

76. asublimeday says: Jan 29, 2012 4:53 AM

Surprisingly, he’s actually reasonable and tolerable compared to most Lions fans.

77. alldonesmith says: Jan 29, 2012 5:18 AM

so let me get this straight. people talk trash on 9er fans because a few idiots shot their mouths off on twitter and hassled a guy wearing a Saints jersey at Candlestick during the 9ers’ first playoff game in almost a decade, but a Saints fan can shoot two 9er fans and a Lions fan can call in a bomb threat to try to stop a game because his team is losing… and no one even bats an eye?

I’m going to drop a little knowledge on you, PFT readers: there’s bad apples in every bunch. and I refuse to lump the majority of Saints and Lions fans in with them. selectively hating on a team’s fans because you’re jealous of that team’s success is classless. grow up.