Report: Bruce Arians to join Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Headshots Getty Images

While an assistant with the Ravens for the last four years, Chuck Pagano tried to stop Steelers offenses run by Bruce Arians at least twice a year.

Based on a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN, he must have liked what he saw. Schefter reports that Arians is headed to Indianapolis to become offensive coordinator of the Colts. It would seem reports of Arians’ retirement after his split from the Steelers were greatly exaggerated.

Schefter’s report doesn’t address the status of current offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen. Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 radio in Arizona, who also had a report on Arians heading to Indy, reports that he’ll be offered another job on Arians’ staff. That’s significant because Christensen represents the last significant tie to Peyton Manning on the Colts coaching staff.

But Arians has a tie to Manning of his own. He was the Manning’s quarterback coach from 1998-2000, so those shaking the Magic 8-Ball to find out what this means for Manning’s future with the Colts probably are getting “Ask Again Later” when the triangle appears in the window.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Report: Bruce Arians to join Colts”
  1. Alohamrhand says: Jan 28, 2012 3:35 PM

sweet!Andrew Luck will become part of the Arian nation!

2. reed20fence says: Jan 28, 2012 3:42 PM

The story practically rights itself! The DC of the Ravens partners withe OC of the Steelers to revive a moribund Colts team.

Football makes strange bedfellows.

3. ampats says: Jan 28, 2012 3:43 PM

Big Ben is not going to be happy about this.

4. ar1888 says: Jan 28, 2012 3:45 PM

I like the hire. Might be able to get a run game of some sort going. He has been a winner no matter who was under center.

5. brenenostler says: Jan 28, 2012 3:45 PM

New offense. Yeah Manning is gone for sure then. I’d be surprised if Reggie stayed too.

6. dachozen1 says: Jan 28, 2012 3:45 PM

Although I am not a big advocate of his playing calling in Pittsburgh, I am happy for him. This might be a sign they are keep Manning because that wi shrink Arians role. They’re in trouble if Arians is the signal caller.

7. sterilizecromartie says: Jan 28, 2012 3:52 PM

This is a clear sign Manning is gone. It doesn’t matter if Arians coached him a decade ago. If they were going to roll with Manning they would just keep Christiansen.

8. realitypolice says: Jan 28, 2012 4:04 PM

Man, you are a little slow to the party.

Why are you still analyzing Colt hires based upon how it effects Peyton Manning?

Manning is gone- every single sign in the last month points to it.

This article would have been better served addressing a question that is actually relevant:

What does the hiring of an OC like Arians due for the development of a young franchise QB like Andrew Luck?

9. thefiesty1 says: Jan 28, 2012 4:07 PM

Manning IS the signal caller. It doesn’t matter who is OC.

10. srrjr82 says: Jan 28, 2012 4:19 PM

Even Farve stayed retired longer

11. lonewolf330 says: Jan 28, 2012 4:20 PM

same system basically he got from bein around the colts if you watch the steelers closely plus he was Mannings qb coach so the system wont be a whole lot different than the colts previous one except more 5 wide formations

12. nardointhenati says: Jan 28, 2012 4:21 PM

The Colts might be cleaning house but they’re hiring good people to fill the spots.
    Pagano fixes one side of the ball while Arians mentors a #1 pick. This is getting scary folks.

13. tomthebombtracy says: Jan 28, 2012 4:25 PM

Yeah, Colts fans get ready for 5 wide receivers on the one-yard line and the bubble screen. Also, no fullback.

Actually, didn’t BA work with the young Peyton first time there?

If the Steelers hire Caldwell as OC (unlikely) this could all come full circle.

14. emmac13 says: Jan 28, 2012 4:33 PM

Good for Bruce. He probably wishes Peyton and Reggie were going to stick around.

15. mempusa says: Jan 28, 2012 4:34 PM

Sounds like Andrew Luck’s kinda team shaping up over there!

16. caseyanthonymunoz says: Jan 28, 2012 4:38 PM

Arians has to be happy to get away from the Drama Queen.

17. yogikenobi says: Jan 28, 2012 4:44 PM

Either way this move will provide lots of entertainment. Steeler fans might get to see exactly what Arians was trying to accomplish with his play calling. Or if those WERE the plays that he was calling the Colts will continue their new role as comic relief.

18. moe21135 says: Jan 28, 2012 4:47 PM

I was hoping St.Louis would’ve gone after this guy instead of schotty

19. stevenfbrackett says: Jan 28, 2012 4:47 PM

I guess he just couldn’t “spend time with the family” anymore without pulling his hair out. Oops. :-)

20. wtf2812 says: Jan 28, 2012 4:48 PM

From a long-time Steelers fan: You can have him!!!!

21. njhitman says: Jan 28, 2012 4:56 PM

There’s a rumor that Mike Tomlin interviewed former Colts coach Jim Caldwell for the Steelers OC position.

22. freemantowilliams says: Jan 28, 2012 5:14 PM

I had arians on my wishlist for oc here in Tampa. I always here the big Ben J. Freeman comparisons and thought this may be a good fit for him. Still can’t believe the steelers let him go. I gotta good feeling they are gonna pay for that sooner or later.

23. dellis07 says: Jan 28, 2012 5:16 PM

Colts fans get used to seeing no fullback and about 6 or 7 bubble screens a game

24. skinsrock says: Jan 28, 2012 5:18 PM

Why do I think the Steelers are making a huge mistake? I mean, Big Ben was beat up this season which slowed their offense down… but with those young wideouts & speed… why would you not want to stretch the field big time? Let the pass setup the run.

25. zeedoubleyou says: Jan 28, 2012 5:19 PM

@srrjr82

Arians didn’t retire. The Steelers fired him and released a statement saying he was retiring to save face. Big difference.

26. steelersfan88007 says: Jan 28, 2012 5:30 PM

I thought he retired!?

27. lawboy2000 says: Jan 28, 2012 5:33 PM

Surely only Arians could manage an “elite” offense in Indy like the one he created in Pittsburgh (according to Roethlisberger’s comments to the Post-Gazette this week).

28. jr4real says: Jan 28, 2012 5:35 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahha!!!!!!!!

He sucked. Dont believe the hype. This is absolutely terrible for the Colts. One of the worst play callers ever in the game.

29. steelerhatersarelosers says: Jan 28, 2012 5:46 PM

Thank god he’s out of Pittsburgh!!

30. realitypolice says: Jan 28, 2012 5:47 PM

srrjr82 says:
    Jan 28, 2012 4:19 PM
    Even Farve stayed retired longer
    ========================

He never retired, and never even SAID he retired.

The retirement story came from the team and was quickly shot down by Arians in an interview shortly after left.

He made it clear that he was fired and had no intention of retiring.

But I am sure you knew that.

31. Deb says: Jan 28, 2012 5:55 PM

I always wish well for people who leave the Steelers team and organization and root for them in their new homes … unless they bad-mouth the Steelers on the way out the door. I’m not happy with the way Arians has handled himself this week, but I guess he didn’t altogether bad-mouth the organization. So good luck to him. I’d just suggest he not tell people each year he’s planning to retire unless he means it. He should also hope for Luck. I don’t think Manning would take to a one-dimensional offense. Then again …

32. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jan 28, 2012 6:05 PM

people don’t believe me. The Colts will take the kid Blackmon with the first pick. That team is too good to start planning for the future. You get Manning back you’re already a contender. Get him some help.

33. waxedagain says: Jan 28, 2012 6:07 PM

Vegas should have a proposition bet for who gets a replacement job first: Chris Polian ( as a GM)or Jim Caldwell ( as a HC). I suppose that would be called a ‘way distant future’ bet.

34. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jan 28, 2012 6:07 PM

Alohamrhand says:
    Jan 28, 2012 3:35 PM
    sweet!Andrew Luck will become part of the Arian nation!

__________________

Know your history before you use that term again.

35. realitypolice says: Jan 28, 2012 6:15 PM

@ Deb;

I know better to doubt you when it comes to Steeler issues, but I don’t recall the words “I’m retiring” coming out of Arians mouth.

I heard the Steelers, namely Mike Tomlin, say that Arians said he was retiring, but Arians was pretty quick to say he never said that and was in fact fired.

Do you have evidence, outside of second hand from the steelers, that Arians ever told anyone he wanted to retire?

36. karlton2 says: Jan 28, 2012 6:32 PM

For those of you lamenting no fullback and multiple wide-out sets; that’s been the Colts offense for years. They used to use a DL as a fullback rather than occupy a roster spot.

37. mikeypanic says: Jan 28, 2012 6:36 PM

dear colts fan,

enjoy the bubble screen.

38. realitypolice says: Jan 28, 2012 6:47 PM

bearsrulepackdrool says:
    Jan 28, 2012 6:05 PM
    =================

“That team” was 2-14 last year and faces losing many key veteran players that it won’t be able to afford if Manning comes back.

“That team” will be ridiculed and vilified if it passes on one of the best QB prospects of the last 20 years and pins it’s hopes on a 35 year old QB with neck issues.

39. freemantowilliams says: Jan 28, 2012 7:05 PM

jr4real says:
    Jan 28, 2012 5:35 PM
    Hahahahahahahahahahha!!!!!!!!

5 3
    ================================================
    Have you ever heard of a man named Greg Olson? And I ain’t talking about the pro bowl caliber tight end either. Try an end around on 3rd and 4 with possibly your slowest receiver.

40. Deb says: Jan 28, 2012 7:07 PM

@realitypolice …

I didn’t mean to imply Arians was let go because he’d talked about retiring. He was let go because the team wanted to make a change–and I agree with that decision. It’s been reported by the Pittsburgh media for the last couple of years that he’s been knocking around the idea of retiring. That’s come from Tomlin and Roethlisberger, who’s a big Arians supporter. I think he may have been hedging his bets because he knew there was a lot of pressure for the Steelers to get rid of him, so he talked about retirement as a way to save face.

I’m just saying it’s not wise to even mention retirement unless you’re ready to sign the papers. Never give employers a reason to start thinking about succession plans. A lot of people talk about Coughlin retiring, but he’s always made clear that he’s fully committed to coaching. I think that’s why the Giants don’t really pressure him about the future. I’m just suggesting that in his next gig, Arians should keep those comments to himself for his own benefit.

41. ravenmaniacisback says: Jan 28, 2012 7:07 PM

Cant wait to see how happy steeler fans are without Arians……Ben does not seem happy….

42. ropsitos says: Jan 28, 2012 7:37 PM

I fully expect that in December 2012, ESPN’s front page headline will read: “Colts’ Luck Sets NFL Record for Most-Times Sacked.”

43. dolphins4 says: Jan 28, 2012 7:51 PM

And I can hear Dan Snyder now saying welcome to Washington home of the Redskins.

44. cup1981 says: Jan 28, 2012 7:51 PM

ar1888 says: Jan 28, 2012 3:45 PM

———————————————————————–

Run game??? What’s that. As a Steelers fan, I have forgotten what the hell a run game is ever since Arians took over.

45. realitypolice says: Jan 28, 2012 7:58 PM

@Deb:

Fair enough.

My only caveat will remain that I can’t condemn Arians for talking about retiring when all reports that he did come second hand. I still have no confirmation from him that he ever said it.

It seems incongruous to me that Arians would be so openly talking about retirement in house yet so outspoken in his denials publicly.

Of course, anything’s possible.

Not a big deal- looks like everyone got what they wanted.

Except possibly #7.

46. stairwayto7 says: Jan 28, 2012 8:34 PM

Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 radio in Arizona is a hack! H enever reports a story on his own, he steals them and then takes credit..

47. Deb says: Jan 28, 2012 10:20 PM

@realitypolice …

My impression was that for a couple of years he’s pondered aloud whether he wanted to hang it up, not that he ever said he definitely intended to retire. But the Steelers don’t have to give any reason for letting him go. His contract is up and they’ve chosen not to re-sign him. Implying retirement was a way of letting him save face, not them.

Arians has done some things well and I argued giving him another chance after a 2009 season of some of the worst offensive play-calling I’ve ever seen. But he’s had two more seasons to get it right, and our offense this year was in the bottom third of the league. That’s ridiculous for a team with our offensive weapons. Some of that falls on Colbert because of the sorry lack of talent on our offensive line. But a lot of it has to do with play-calling, lack of offensive balance, and not pushing Ben to reach his potential. Roethlisberger may not like the decision, but he needs a change. And if we get someone with serious offensive credentials, he’ll be the better for it.

48. hines86for6 says: Jan 28, 2012 10:50 PM

The Steelers should hire Todd Haley as OC.
    grew up in Pittsburgh and a pretty darn good play caller.

Bad HC, exceptional OC just like our DC.

49. realitypolice says: Jan 28, 2012 11:09 PM

@Deb:

If they don’t have to give a reason to let him go, why did they?

Your assertion that “implying retirement” was a way for him to “save face” seems a little condescending considering it took him about 5 minutes to find another job equal to his job in Pittsburgh.

This is why I don’t align myself with teams. I don’t want any whiff of fandom to mold the facts in front of me to match some predisposition I may have.

Arians record in Pburg is unimpeachable. 2 super bowls, one championship. Only a “fan” could presume otherwise.

50. dyims says: Jan 28, 2012 11:54 PM

Hey hines86for6 your exceptional DC looked anything but in the Denver loss a couple of weeks ago.

51. quittsburghstoolers says: Jan 29, 2012 7:55 AM

bearsrulepackdrool says:Jan 28, 2012 6:05 PM

———————————————————-

The reason people don’t believe you is because they could trade that pick for a lot of stuff if Manning was staying.

The Browns would probably trade both of the 1st rounders plus other picks to get Luck…

52. gavriloprincip33 says: Jan 29, 2012 8:03 AM

@ realitypolice

“I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.”

George Bernard Shaw

53. cfbfan says: Jan 29, 2012 11:05 AM

The Rooney’s want a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. There’s been tension over the offense for several years. BR was out in the papers a couple of weeks ago saying he didn’t want a change of coordinators.

BA never said he retired. He obviously wanted to continue coaching which is why he came out a few days after his “retirement” and said it wasn’t so.

Good luck to him in Indy.

54. Deb says: Jan 29, 2012 3:35 PM

And reality police, you asked me when the guy said he was retiring. He didn’t and I never said otherwise. What he did for the last couple of years was hem and haw about whether it was time to hang it up. All I did was suggest that he shouldn’t do that with his new employers. It was an empathetic suggestion that it’s better not to harp about retiring if you’re not ready to retire. It was a simple comment, not intended to spark a debate about anything the Rooneys did. Frankly, I don’t give a DAMN what you think. I was not happy with the performance of either my pro or college OC this year and am delighted that both have moved on. And my college team won the national title. That doesn’t mean the OC’s performance was unimpeachable.

55. Deb says: Jan 29, 2012 4:43 PM

@reality police …

It’s my football opinion that ranking 21st in offense out of 32 teams is unacceptable. Arians’ offenses are one-dimensional, he babies the QB, and we had 11 turnovers in the Super Bowl and the opening game alone. I thought you were interested in a genuine football discussion and didn’t realize this was just argument-baiting for an opportunity to accuse a Steelers fan of homerism. Next time, pull it on someone else. I actually try to have polite, intelligent, sportsmanlike conversations on the blogs and don’t appreciate being dragged into something that makes me a target for misogynistic neanderthals like gariloprincip33. I seriously doubt he’s read any of Shaw’s works, but thinks himself wonderfully clever for pulling the pig line off Brainy Quote. :roll: