Belichick: Indianapolis loves me since I went for it on fourth-and-2

New England Patriots v Detroit Lions Getty Images

The Patriots have arrived in Indianapolis for Super Bowl XLVI, and coach Bill Belichick used his arrival as an occasion to take a playful shot at what may have been the biggest blunder of his coaching career.

Asked about the welcome he gets in Indianapolis, Belichick noted that the Super Bowl will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium, the same place where Belichick infamously went for it on fourth-and-2 from his own 28-yard line late in the fourth quarter of what turned out to be a loss to the Colts. Belichick said that ever since that decision, which set up the Colts for their game-winning touchdown, the fans in Indianapolis have loved him.

“I never had too much hospitality here until I went for it on fourth-and-2,” Belichick said. “Since then I’ve been greeted in a lot more friendly manner than I was in the past.”

Belichick smiled, joked around and generally seemed chipper at his press conference on Sunday evening. Getting to the Super Bowl has him in a good mood.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Belichick: Indianapolis loves me since I went for it on fourth-and-2”
  1. august1969 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:24 PM

I remeber that. They totally made that first down. They better not pipe in the crowd noise, I’m sure they still have that CD around somewhere.

2. dionoil says: Jan 29, 2012 6:25 PM

He has a sense of humor

3. mjbulls45 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:26 PM

aint no one questioning you…

you got madddd rings

live life in the real world,

belichick is king.

and i dont even like boston or the patriots,

but he’s winnin,

period.

4. 2sausage11 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:28 PM

Bill”s in a good mood look out Giants

Pats 30

Giants 24

5. TheWizard says: Jan 29, 2012 6:32 PM

The biggest blunder in his coaching career was drafting that receiver whose name escapes me….

I don’t even want to remember it.

6. kylecleric says: Jan 29, 2012 6:37 PM

he’s been having a lot more fun this year.

7. xtb3 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:39 PM

As sharp as he is, that was one of the stupidest decisions in NFL history. That was then defended by some lunatic who said stats said it was the correct decision. Stats? I have never seen a similar situation in 50 years of watching football when a team is up by 6 points with 2 minutes left in game, with ball on your own 28 and you need 2 full yards to get a first down on 4th down. And ESPN said this professor at Brainy University was an authority. Whatta joke!

8. tiffpats4eva says: Jan 29, 2012 6:39 PM

Belichick is not only a great coach, but he has a great sense of humor.

I love this guy! He is my favorite Patriot.

9. napoleonblownapart6887 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:44 PM

Bill has played the heel role really well but it always seems he has a pretty dry sense of humor. I hate the Pats but I like him.

10. CKL says: Jan 29, 2012 6:45 PM

TheWizard says:
    Jan 29, 2012 6:32 PM

I don’t even want to remember it.
    _______________________________
    Yeah they are the failsauce at drafting WRs (outside of Branch and Givens) so it could be Bethel J you are thinking of, or Chad Jackson, Price etc. etc.

I think BB likes this team and realizes how amazing they’ve been, what they’ve overcome. I feel the same way, regardless of what happens Sunday.

11. illinininer says: Jan 29, 2012 6:46 PM

He made a call to win the game with the strength of his team. It didn’t work, but I wouldn’t call it the biggest blunder of his career.

12. drakost says: Jan 29, 2012 6:49 PM

… wait cracking jokes… smiling… My god the Giants have kidnapped the hoodie and replaced him with a body double!!!

13. xli2006 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:51 PM

No Bill. No we dont.

14. NakedCowboy! says: Jan 29, 2012 6:52 PM

“37 Points On The Best Defense In The League, Suck My ****”

15. db105 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:53 PM

Blunder? That was a well calculate risk that he took. That calculated risk part might be beyond most people.

16. 4512dawg4512 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:54 PM

I was on a four day film shoot in Indy and Ive got to say, that place pretty much sucks. However, a cloudy day in Indy is WAY better than a sunny day in Pittsburgh

17. gmboy95 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:56 PM

ya see bill has a/sense of humor!!!!

18. srrjr82 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:59 PM

That was a bad result but good decision. If he makes it then game is over.

He would have been called a genius if they got the first down.

19. jjbadd says: Jan 29, 2012 7:00 PM

Yea..Im a Bronco fan, but in my opinion, BB is for sure one of the greatest coaches of ALL time! No question.

20. tanyamoniqueglascoe says: Jan 29, 2012 7:01 PM

Well it’s time for the rematch. It is good to see Belichick in a good mood, I still wish the Cowboys had won the top of the division though…Tanya Monique Glascoe

21. britishraven says: Jan 29, 2012 7:08 PM

@TheWizard

Chad Jackson?

22. briang123 says: Jan 29, 2012 7:08 PM

Belichick with his phony humor and dictatorial ways reminds me of George W. Bush.

By the way, who is the genius that decided to put Hot Chelle Rae as the pregame entertainments or the Pro Bowl? They make Nickelback sound like Led Zepplin.

23. erick670 says: Jan 29, 2012 7:32 PM

4512dawg4512 says: Jan 29, 2012 6:54 PM

———————————————————————

Im gonna tell u right now i live 100 miles south of indy and have been to the burgh and it makes indy look like a piece of trash and at least when big ben was out for 4 games they still went 3 and 1

24. omegaichiban says: Jan 29, 2012 7:38 PM

As August1969 said, the back did in fact have posession and two feet down and then was tackled. Terrible call by the refs and replay (shocker). As a coach he has 5 SB rings total, 3 as a head. This just in, he’s pretty good.

25. Henry says: Jan 29, 2012 7:55 PM

Lol at all the people that think going for it on 4th and 2 was a bad decision.
    The fact is, 3/4 of the coaches in the league wouldn’t have the sack to make a move like that. They’re too busy looking over their shoulder worrying about job security.

26. 8man says: Jan 29, 2012 8:44 PM

The problem wasn’t that he went for it on 4th down. The problem was that it appeared that he didn’t make that decision until after 3rd down.

We are going to find out something about him and a certain Mr. Bundchen on Sunday. There is a lot at stake here.

27. gmboy95 says: Jan 29, 2012 8:46 PM

there is not another city in the nfl that wouldn’t hold a parade I’d bill became there coach

28. rpmcanes says: Jan 29, 2012 8:47 PM

That was the right call. That defense was gassed and it wouldn’t have made any difference where the Colts got the ball, they would have driven the field anyway. You want to beat Peyton Manning? Keep the ball out of his hands. And it sure looked like Kevin Faulk was straddling the 30 yard line when he secured the football. First down.

29. dwatkins69 says: Jan 29, 2012 8:48 PM

If I remember correctly the Patriot’s defense couldnt stop Indy at all. So he figured if we make this 1st down game over. He had zero trust in his Defense, which was understandable that day@

30. belicheckyoself says: Jan 29, 2012 10:01 PM

Not his best decision.
    Kevin totally got that though.
    When you play well, things tend to go your way.
    They played awful bad that day.

#### eli. Haters keep hatin’
    Win or lose, they put themselves somewhere again this year.

31. quittsburghstoolers says: Jan 29, 2012 10:05 PM

Getting to the Super Bowl has him (Belichick) in a good mood.

———————————————————-

He was in a good mood before this… you know, right after the team had their scoreboard operator mess with the scoreboard VS the Ravens last week…

32. nannymcsack says: Jan 29, 2012 10:38 PM

chipper because he hates the league office and thinks it’s funny that his defense full of undrafted players and scrubs got to the dance in a ‘defense wins championships’ league. one more game and he hoodwinked the biggest sports institution on the planet.

33. briang123 says: Jan 29, 2012 11:37 PM

If you went up toa media member during a game and asked them what should the team do, they’ll have the perfect answer for you as soon as the game is over.

34. patsfan22 says: Jan 30, 2012 2:00 AM

The colts had just driven 80 yards twice in the previous 5 minutes, kicking the ball back to indy with 2 minutes left would have had the same result. It was the right decision to go for it, unfortunately they didn’t make it (personally I thought it was a horrible spot) but it is what it is.

35. raymondnewdell says: Jan 30, 2012 6:10 AM

He knew they couldn’t stop a HOF QB at the peak of his career from marching down the field for the score so he took the risk.

Great call IMO- if you had been offered this deal before the game, would you have taken it: you have to gain 2 yards to win the game, on the road. That’s it, 2 yards for the win, regardless of where on the field…gain 2 yards and you beat a great team in their building. I would go for it too.

36. nemoneem1221 says: Jan 30, 2012 6:25 AM

NYG 21, NE 20

37. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 30, 2012 8:36 AM

Gotta love Bill. I don’t understand Giants fans who hate him. That dry, acerbic wit is akin to mine, so I love it.