Manning’s future soon will take on a life of its own

Peyton Manning AP

There’s not much more to say — right now — about Peyton Manning, other than there will be a lot more to say about him if/when (when, more likely) the Colts cut the cord and avoid paying him another $28 million on March 8.

As Peter King points out in today’s Monday Morning Quarterback, Manning’s future will provide a “cottage industry” for sites like this one and for the folks who previously parked in front of Brett Favre’s farm, sporting a suit, a stick mic, and a smile.

Some have interpreted King’s comments as a slap at PFT.  They’re not.  It’s a fact.  Brett Favre’s long history of retiring and unretiring made his status fair game throughout the 2011 season whenever any team lost a starting quarterback to injury.  Until Peyton has a new place to play pro football, rumors and reports and speculation about his next step will take center stage.

For more than 10 years, we’ve written and talked about the things about which the audience is interested.  And a lot of people will be interested in the future of Peyton Manning.  Particularly the fans of teams who have a quarterback whose skills don’t quite match those of a healthy Peyton Manning.

Or of a not-so-healthy Peyton Manning.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Manning’s future soon will take on a life of its own”
  1. hellswitch says: Jan 30, 2012 12:16 PM

Not a Colts fan but I am a Peyton Manning fan (can’t say the same for Eli but only because I’m a Dallas fan.) Having said that, I’m going to miss Peyton and his 4 star General grasp of football. His near epileptic seizures while calling audibles after surveying the opposing defensive formations has always been great to watch. The man knows how to command a team. Hell, he damn near was the head coach while he was playing. If he never plays another down in the NFL, that will be sad. I’d love to see him come back as a coach in some capacity. Good luck and good health, Peyton.

2. touchdownroddywhite says: Jan 30, 2012 12:16 PM

Peyton Manning at his best only won one ring… Peyton Manning will never again return to that height of talent and ability.

I’ll leave it to the rest to add it all up.

3. thatobnoxiousguy says: Jan 30, 2012 12:17 PM

Already sick of hearing about Manning.
    Damn, why not wait till there is something actually worth writing about

4. austskate says: Jan 30, 2012 12:18 PM

Here’s to hoping Peyton gets healthy and gives us another 5+ years of quality qb play. A true class act and in my opinion the best quarterback to ever play the game.

5. nesuperfan says: Jan 30, 2012 12:19 PM

Soon?

6. coonsqualler says: Jan 30, 2012 12:20 PM

Welcome with OPEN ARMS! Go Brownies! Just Sayin’

7. dionoil says: Jan 30, 2012 12:22 PM

So Peyton posts = advertising dollars. Honesty is always refreshing

8. jefftownsend52 says: Jan 30, 2012 12:30 PM

WWPG – Where Will Peyton Go?

9. billsfaninmiami says: Jan 30, 2012 12:31 PM

Got to hope he’s gonna be OK,.,. and can end his career on top.
    Just not in the AFC East…

10. dprouse says: Jan 30, 2012 12:40 PM

Unlike the Favre dramas, this one won’t drag out into the summer months. Manning still wants to play – the question is whether his body will allow him to do so. Any team looking to sign him will want to do so early in free agency. By the time of the draft, likely well before, we will know if Manning can pass a physical. (My guess is that he won’t be able to find a doctor to sign off on a return to football, but I could be wrong.)

It’s worth noting that this is how it ended for a number of Hall of Fame quarterbacks. Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Troy Aikman – all were eventually told by the teams they led for years that their services were no longer needed. Few go out like Kurt Warner did, with his team dying for him to stay for another year or two. Kurt did it right, though, leaving when he was still effective and with his health still intact.

11. norcal031 says: Jan 30, 2012 12:45 PM

Who cares about Peyton. If Eli wins he is the king of New York city. He will be a god in that town. Is rather be the most famous man in NYC than the most famous man in Indianapolis……

12. dspyank2k11 says: Jan 30, 2012 12:49 PM

Sweet! I cant wait. I honestly DO like the Mannings.

Now theres going to be another one???

Eli, Peyton AND Peytons Future?

13. chadmurdigan says: Jan 30, 2012 1:01 PM

It’s SuperBowl week and all the red meat we’re being thrown is about Peyton Manning. I guess he and Ursay plan to hijack the headlines for the next six days. So borrring… unlike Farve, who could still play, Peyton’s done. I just don’t understand why so many people don’t realize it. He’s done. He’ll never play another down.

He’s too smart to go out and risk a wheelchair or worse for the rest of his life and all he’s doing right now is seeing if Ursay is stupid enough to pay him another $28,000,000.

When the Colts release him, Manning will retire, get a cushy commentator’s gig, and resume filming commercials for everything from credit cards to panty hose. Then he’ll have some time and energy to also take care of his young children.

Predicting Peyton’s future isn’t rocket science. Just common sense.

14. foxboro24 says: Jan 30, 2012 1:05 PM

Damaged goods, one hit away from a horrible retirement. You’ve made a bundle of $. Go on tv , relax don’t let your ego get in the way. Your gonna be in the HOF anyway.

15. east96st says: Jan 30, 2012 1:10 PM

“I can’t wait to see what team is dumb enough to sacrifice it’s future for a few one and done playoff runs, at the best.”

I find this hysterical coming from a Falcons fan. Basically, your team gave GB and the Giants a bye week in the playoffs this year and last. Sure, they had to show up to the game, but Atlanta made sure they didn’t have to work hard. I’m wondering if anyone on the Giants even broke out in a sweat.

16. hardpeaches says: Jan 30, 2012 1:10 PM

Getting pretty meta here. Nice.

This is related to the new emerging content-creator culture. If you’re providing insightful and engaging content on a popular subject, it stands to reason that you’ll profit nowadays from a huge story within your respective industry.

Sure, they’re gonna be people creating stories out of nothing but correct me if I’m wrong but this is a potentially huge story for NFL fans.

17. hardpeaches says: Jan 30, 2012 1:11 PM

Getting pretty meta here. Nice.

Sure, there are going to be people creating stories out of nothing but correct me if I’m wrong but this is a potentially huge story for NFL fans.

18. packerman1968 says: Jan 30, 2012 1:16 PM

I live in Indy and I am so tired of hearing about it.

I am a Packer Backer and I enjoy the Colts games. I like Manning a lot. He is a field general and is deserving of the praise he gets.

I do not want to see Manning on a stretcher during a game. I hope he retires and lives a long life.

19. dccowboy says: Jan 30, 2012 1:17 PM

Can they cut him if he’s not healthy?

20. jakek2 says: Jan 30, 2012 1:20 PM

If Irsay had an ounce of common decency (after all, PM put the Colts on the map), he’d cut Peyton NOW and let him carry on with his life.

21. dccowboy says: Jan 30, 2012 1:26 PM

jake,

Don’t believe they can cut him now. They have to wait until after the SB or the beginning of the new league year, not sure which.

22. FinFan68 says: Jan 30, 2012 1:26 PM

Question: If he retires (before March 8), do the Colts still “own” his rights if/when he gets healthy and wants to play? They wouldn’t owe him the $28M and he wouldn’t count against the cap unless he showed up at the end of camp and is due his $20M+ base salary for 2012.

I don’t see it happening but it seems to me this is an angle that has yet to be explored

23. rice4life says: Jan 30, 2012 1:27 PM

My father had this surgery, twice, in the same area as Manning. It might not have been the same exact discs, but it is close enough. Now my father might be a bit older, but he doesn’t take hits like Manning. His right arm was left significantly weaker then prior to the surgery. I don’t know how Manning will play again. Since this first started, all I have heard was that Manning will return, Manning will play. I say no way. This is a surgery that is very serious and very easy to rupture. It leaves you with a slight inability to turn your head one way or the other. Maybe the media doesn’t want to say it, but his career should be over. I feel for him because he was awesome, but I hope he doesn’t push it and get himself hurt even more. I have never been a part of something like these guys in the NFL or any type of sports so I don’t know how hard it must be to quit something that has been apart of your life since they were children; but he needs to retire. I can’t see his fusion holding when getting smacked by a defender.

24. mataug says: Jan 30, 2012 1:28 PM

@dprouse, you know the thing about leaving when you are still good – that player still had something more to contribute to the game e.g. McNabb has nothing more to contribute, I think he should retire
    Kurt could still contribute to the game, the concussion he suffered affected his decision a lot

another example via soccer: Real Madrid legend Raul was forced out of the club. Many said he should just retire. He continued, went to Germany and (continues to) play at a good(not Real Madrid good) level.

I know it is a strange opinion to have, many will disagree but that’s the way I see it :s

note: I am not talking about health, I am talking about your general level of play

25. theredbengal says: Jan 30, 2012 1:34 PM

I said Peyton was done to my buddy during the Colts/Bucs game that was either a sunday night or a monday night game. Painter had just thrown a bomb to Garcon for a 75-80 yd TD, and the camera showed Peyton up in the booth clapping his hands. It was sad to see, because it looked like a 2 year old trying to clap their hands. For a guy who so accurately threw the football in 2010 could barely clap his hands together in 2011.

I feel really bad for him, and for Colts fans.

26. adderalljack says: Jan 30, 2012 1:36 PM

Makes me wish for Tebow news. Not really.

27. clintonportisheadd says: Jan 30, 2012 1:41 PM

I read that Peter King piece.

Not sure what he was trying to convey with his PFT/Manning line but is sure came across to this reader as a shot.

28. deepbacksidedig says: Jan 30, 2012 1:46 PM

Pats fan.
    I want the guy back, playing. Thriving.
    Still want to beat him, of course.

To Colts faithful?
    I make myself feel your pain.
    Think the unthinkable to make me appreciate this moment, to appreciate the ride.

Truth is, every man on that field is one horrible random moment away from disaster.

Darryl, I am thinking of you, man.

29. shaggytoodle says: Jan 30, 2012 1:57 PM

He should go to the Texans & stick it the Colts!

-Brett Favre

30. sws222 says: Jan 30, 2012 2:00 PM

Peyton…..forget being a sports commentator…..take a gig on Saturday Night Live! You were hilarious!

31. annnann says: Jan 30, 2012 2:00 PM

I hope, and I’m sure, Peyton Manning’s priority is his health. I’m not a Colts’ fan but as a football fan I would love to see Manning on the field again. However, thinking about a 36 year old QB with 3 major neck surgeries in the span of 18 months taking another football snap is pretty scary. If he retires now, he goes out on top. If he comes back he could be a sack away from being in a worse condition, health-wise. Regardless, I wish the best of luck to Peyton Manning, it was a joy to watch him play.

32. rabidbillsfan says: Jan 30, 2012 2:06 PM

This could be a sad season for NFL fans. Manning, since the day he was drafted, was envisioned as the next Elite. He was destined to own all the records and be hailed as a Top-3 player ever, not just QB. However, reality has struck, and an unfortunate injury to one of the best will more than likely de-rail those expectations. Manning was the closest (Closest?) to Favre in the major statistical QB categories, however that would have required another 3+ seasons of “Near Elite” play. As musch as people out there hate Favre, he was a true iron man. Basically hanging on to his last breath playing a sport he loved until he phsically couldn’t anymore. Those of you who are fans and not haters would agree with me in saying that it was a painful end to an era in Minnesota with #4. I would hate to see Manning have the same fate. Those guys are Elite competitors, nothing is more crippling then to have your body say no.

33. melikefootball says: Jan 30, 2012 2:16 PM

The most fun out of this whole thing is seeing Manning show his darker side. Not all, the best man since sliced bread. Love the banter between the owner and Manning and all the speculation by the media on what where when will happen. Sooner or later it sll comes to the end.

34. thenaturalmevs says: Jan 30, 2012 2:19 PM

I don’t want to be an Irsay shill, but it has bothered me to see him ripped to shreds by some on here over an issue that is out of his hands. If Peyton can’t play, Irsay can’t give him 28 million. Irsay’s hands are totally tied. He is trying to rebuild his franchise for the ground up in a very tough situation with Peyton and I think Irsay is getting a raw deal for it.

35. CKL says: Jan 30, 2012 2:22 PM

Peter King has 0 business questioning any other human being who writes about football. Maybe. POSSIBLY. I cannot believe the check he must pull for writing like a 3rd grader.

36. Wisconsin77 says: Jan 30, 2012 2:33 PM

Unfortanately some fans will blame Manning for this coverage just like the idiot fans who blamed Favre. Any media saturation is the fault of the press, not the player.

37. gridassassin says: Jan 30, 2012 2:59 PM

SAD NFL season? It was supposed to be a locked out season and they didn’t miss a game!

Without Peyton Manning, passing records were shredded. The NFL will move on without Peyton Manning, and hopefully he makes the right decision and doesn’t imperil his long term health, or turn into another Favre saga.

He’s a funny guy and he’s got a future in the media. Loved his last quote: “I never thought ‘Sodapop Curtis’ would announce my retirement”

That’s some funny ass stuff.

38. gb4mn0 says: Jan 30, 2012 3:14 PM

Wisconsin77 says:
    Jan 30, 2012 2:33 PM

——————————————
    I understand your sediments but there are a few differences between Manning’s and Favre’s situations. To this point and hopefully it won’t change, Peyton has not sullied his reputation to the point that he has made a pathetic caricature of his former self as Favre did nor do I believe he will seek retribution by orchestrating his trade to an inter-divisional rival. As far as I’m concerned Favre can go into the HOF as a vikequeen. Going into the hall as a vikequeen is like going into the College HOF as a member of Prairie View. It doesn’t mean much if anything at all!

39. 8man says: Jan 30, 2012 3:15 PM

I think we all need to wait and see if the man can actually suit up and take the field again. If not, then this has all been a waste of time.

If so, then we can speculate what would have happened if the Colts were a better put together team and had gone a respectable 8-8 in Manning’s absense and you could convincingly say, they are playoff team when he returns.

I’m no fan of Irsay, but I have to imagine he looked at Polian and said, “We lose one guy? One guy? And we go 2-14 and get humiliated by the Saints on national TV? Really?” This has had to have been a brutal year as they have ever had while in Indy. Especially when they were so close only a couple of years ago. And then add a $26 million price tag onto 2012 and what do you have?

40. nrwalk12238 says: Jan 30, 2012 3:25 PM

touchdownroddywhite says: Jan 30, 2012 12:16 PM

______________________________________

Dan Marino doesn’t have a ring…
    Jim Kelly never won a Super Bowl…
    Chris Chandler doesn’t have one either (relate it to the falcon’s for you)…
    Boomer Esiason, no ring from a SB…

Should I keep going. Peyton HAS one. This coming from a non-Colts fan.

41. chefjayson says: Jan 30, 2012 3:39 PM

*melikefootball Really?! Most fun of this season is Peytons “darker side?” “Best thing since sliced bread?” You OBVIOUSLY haven’t been paying attention so allow me to correct your ignorance.
    1) To your bread comment. Look up ANY Tebow article on this website and you will find a bunch of people giving credit where not much is due. Peyton has more than earned all the accolades and respect he gets. He’s a stand up guy and one of the best of all time. But even I have to admit that sliced bread is pretty awesome…so he’s not quite there yet.
    2) The “banter” between him and Irsay is a non-issue that people in the media are blowing up to create headlines and sell magazines. Peyton said he’s upset bout the firings and was havin a hard time concentrating on healing. Irsay said stop. Peyton said sorry. Where’s the story?
    3) Peytons “darker side” is a man being prematurely, and against his will ripped from something he loves and has been with since he was very small. And he has to do it with the media and public eye staring at him the whole time. He might be a football God but he’s only a man. Even still…I failed to see any “darker side” of the man emerge.
    In closing…its obvious to everyone that you know very little of what you speak. Try to refrain from spewing hater induced filth of misconstrewed garbage that you don’t understand.

42. zerodime says: Jan 30, 2012 4:13 PM

When the Browns ultimately loose one peyton (Hillis) will they pick up the other Peyton? 18 would look great in a Browns jersey!